Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think one thing we can all agree on is that scrote is indeed a great word.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

T'is ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Sad to see people leaving the city center but I'm not surprised.

Effectively people are being forced out due to a peculiar tolerance of scumbag behaviour, no gardai and judges operating revolving door court rooms.

The consequences of that is the trouble we see now.

I don't believe it's going back to being 'safe' like it was before the pandemic not without radical reform of policing in the city.

People just won't go in there now because the perception, right or wrong, is that it is not safe.

I pity any tourists visiting as well.

Like you say it's been coming. Blue in the face saying it over the years.

"Safe" before the pandemic? Do me a favour would ya. The city centre has been allowed, actually it's been purposely turned in to a hellhole by government policy. Having thousands of the walking dead arrive into the city to get their methadone was the begining of the end. The pandemic made this worse as these zombies were allowed do whatever they wanted in the city. The boardwalks are no go zones for ordinary citizens. Large parts around Abbey street are ground zero for them. All with 2 major Garda stations within a stone's throw and they do nothing at all. It's quite common to see open drug dealing around Abbey street and O'Connell street.

So, no, the Garda have been doing a piss poor job of looking after citizens in the city centre for an awful long time. A few public order units charging people (most of whom are harming nobody) is a bloody charade in my book. But, Donnelly, MM, Leo, and Tony will have gotten their message out now, so job done for those lads.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Scrote, ummmm, not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

JRant wrote: »
    "Safe" before the pandemic? Do me a favour would ya. The city centre has been allowed, actually it's been purposely turned in to a hellhole by government policy. Having thousands of the walking dead arrive into the city to get their methadone was the begining of the end. The pandemic made this worse as these zombies were allowed do whatever they wanted in the city. The boardwalks are no go zones for ordinary citizens. Large parts around Abbey street are ground zero for them. All with 2 major Garda stations within a stone's throw and they do nothing at all. It's quite common to see open drug dealing around Abbey street and O'Connell street.

So, no, the Garda have been doing a piss poor job of looking after citizens in the city centre for an awful long time. A few public order units charging people (most of whom are harming nobody) is a bloody charade in my book. But, Donnelly, MM, Leo, and Tony will have gotten their message out now, so job done for those lads.

Yes the Gardai do nothing...that's why the courts are full to bursting on a daily basis...because they do nothing. It must be Dublin Fire Brigade bringing these people before the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

See my local TD Paul Murphy doing his usual Garda bashing

Witcher wrote: »
    Yes the Gardai do nothing...that's why the courts are full to bursting on a daily basis...because they do nothing. It must be Dublin Fire Brigade bringing these people before the courts.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself here because I didn't say what you are claiming.

Witcher wrote: »
    You don't get bank holiday pay working a Saturday.

They'll have been carted up from all over the country for the weekend for this. Operation Nil points will cost a few million in overtime before the weekend is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

JRant wrote: »
    You seem to be having a conversation with yourself here because I didn't say what you are claiming.
    All with 2 major Garda stations within a stone's throw and they do nothing

• Witcher wrote: »

Yup, the legal system/judiciary is failing the Guards.

Greedy shower of *****!

Repeat offenders + Free legal aid is great for business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This thread is not turning into a free for all for Garda bashing, it's to discuss AGS role during the pandemic.

Can we get back on topic please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

fullstop wrote: »
    Poor namloc trying to be smart and getting his ass handed to him :D
    He was what? :eek:

fullstop and Coillte_Bhoy both threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Another one that’s taken off is “gougers”. These people are sheep. They hear something on the radio and start repeating it mindlessly.

Easy to forget that boards is not representative of the country. It’s full of a middle-aged, very sheltered, right-leaning sort that love to see a few skulls getting slapped with police truncheons even in normal times.

True, it attracts a lot of Joe Duffy listeners whose answer to every issue is 'ban that' 'stick em in the army' 'in my day' 'give em a walloping'

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The Gardai are out of control this is insanity. I support law and order but not when Garda behaviour creates law and disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I was wandering around town at around 6pm and it was all fine at that stage but you could still spot the trouble makers a mile away. The reality is the garda shouldn't have allowed this to happen and develop over the last few weeks. The spineless politicians haven't helped. Hazel Chu doing a massive U-turn tonight. I wonder if she will still be asking fort he band stand to reopen so hordes of teenagers can use it as a dancefloor.

Stephens green has been one big field for teenagers to drink cans in for the last two weeks at least. Once you give people the impression there is no law and order they will act accordingly.

They should be out closing off streets from 6pm tomorrow and send a strange message that drinking randomly on the street isn't going to be acceptable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

GT89 wrote: »
    The Gardai are out of control this is insanity. I support law and order but not when Garda behaviour creates law and disorder.

They absolutely are not. Would you have scum whose only intention is to come into town specifically to harass and cause trouble be let do so unhindered?

The stupidity of this plan has put the Guards in an invidious position. Local businesses in the area, not connected to hospitality, have been closing up early. The Guards are bound to protect normal life going on, not let this filth do what they like.

These are the same scum that run wild on trains, go to Howth and Portmarnock and Malahide to vandalise, intimidate, assault and rob. The same scum who push defenceless young women off train platforms and under trains.

If you think you're in the majority for criticising the Guards on this, you're wrong.

The answer to all this, is to immediately open pubs with outdoor space of their own (not the street) and bring in full enforcement of the laws on drinking in public. Zero tolerance, all drink on the streets and parks confiscated. These stupid notions of pedestrianising streets to turn them into festival grounds need to be reversed and ordinary activity allowed return.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Since when is public drinking tolerated? I think most of these will disperse once the pubs are fully opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Are garda moving people on because of public order or because of Covid/Holohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Since when is public drinking tolerated? I think most of these will disperse once the pubs are fully opened.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. People are used to meeting up for outdoor drinking now, why would they return to the confines of a pub and pay 5 times the price for their drinks? Even if all the pubs opened to full capacity tomorrow, this genie is not going to be too easy to get back in the bottle, so long as the weather stays pleasant.

I do advocate a zero tolerance for it, but the Guards haven't nearly enough resources to deal with it. On the Grand Canal alone the other evening I must have passed 4 or 5 thousand on the banks eating and drinking their own stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

We are just seeing the true face of Ireland because it is now outside instead of hidden away inside. Alcohol is a scourge. The Irish have always been unable to control themselves with alcohol and the international reputation is well earned. Pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GT89 wrote: »

Gardai are not creating law and disorder... people are choosing that path for themselves and they must bare the consequences.... if you put your hand in a tigers mouth you don’t complain to the tiger if it bites you.

If you break the law, no point in complaining to the Gardai when they arrest you, or crack you over the head for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Augme wrote: »
    I was wandering around town at around 6pm and it was all fine at that stage but you could still spot the trouble makers a mile away. The reality is the garda shouldn't have allowed this to happen and develop over the last few weeks. The spineless politicians haven't helped. Hazel Chu doing a massive U-turn tonight. I wonder if she will still be asking fort he band stand to reopen so hordes of teenagers can use it as a dancefloor.

Stephens green has been one big field for teenagers to drink cans in for the last two weeks at least. Once you give people the impression there is no law and order they will act accordingly.

They should be out closing off streets from 6pm tomorrow and send a strange message that drinking randomly on the street isn't going to be acceptable anymore.

But,but, outdoor summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0605/1226180-dublin-public-order-incidents/

This RTE report, who appear to have had onsite reporting say that ten arrests were made, and that a group of up to 200 youths were causing the problem.

My question is why only 10 arrests.

Why not 50? Or 80? Why not 100 youths were arrested? Are Gardai unable to arrest the individuals who are causing trouble or something?

The problem here is that a vast majority of people are going into the city to socialize and behave accordingly, they might be having a drink but they are being responsible and then becoming caught in the trouble caused by a minority but where the Gardai respond against the majority.

Why not bring in a curfew against under 18’s? Or set up a cordon and restrict their access to the city. Why not issue court proceedings against them banning them from the city?

If this response continues then it only effects the responsible people who can meet up in a responsible fashion.

The Gardai are using a hammer to deal with a problem that needs a scalpel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Lots of people on here blaming the gardai, lots on here blaming the scrotes.

Its government policy that lead us to this place. Tony holohan not helping by tweeting blame at youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The publicity last week did attract a different crowd into town. Simon Harris on Thursday was rightfully highlighting that if outdoor places are open then it will mean that certain areas in the city will not be crowded - everyone will have somewhere to go.

As an aside, this type of thing has happened in other countries including UK and Belgium.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Lots of people on here blaming the gardai, lots on here blaming the scrotes.

Its government policy that lead us to this place. Tony holohan not helping by tweeting blame at youth.

No, no it's not.
    There are plenty of people who have been out the last few weeks, enjoying the good weather, even having a few drinks.
    The only issues are with the scrotes who cannot sit back, relax, take it easy, cannot enjoy themselves without causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, no it's not.
    There are plenty of people who have been out the last few weeks, enjoying the good weather, even having a few drinks.
    The only issues are with the scrotes who cannot sit back, relax, take it easy, cannot enjoy themselves without causing trouble.

Scrotes running amok in the city is nothing new. Gardai in riot gear charging a groups of youths is. So something must have changed to bring us to this place.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Scrotes running amok in the city is nothing new. Gardai in riot gear charging a groups of youths is. So something must have changed to bring us to this place.

No, gardai are in public order duty in the city every weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is the Scrotes are a regular thing then why have the courts not dealt with them already?

Imposed curfews and bans from the city.

The minority cannot be allowed to ruin it for the majority.

Advertisement