Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Places around South William Street were told to stop selling at around 8. Then when everything quietened down they were going around the city removing people's drinks after initially just telling people to scatter from those few streets where people were congregating. It wasn't even overcrowded, those streets always are like that on nice days. It was probably a Guard younger than me who ordered me to pour out my Vodka hahaha. I came close to a Gemma O'Doherty 'who are you here to serve' rant. It's tough for them but I think this shows how overzealous enforcement has become. What's closing a few streets when the reference point is 2km restrictions on people's movement? There's always been little scrotes, how that ends with the epicentre of Dubin's social scene being shut down on a whim just doesn't make sense to me. I still don't know why things were shut down? Is it Covid or the little scummers?

We definitely do need things to open up and stuff like festivals and whatever else to diffuse the pent up frustration. It be a crying shame if outdoor culture in Dublin was scrapped because some curtain twitchers and scrotes join together in unlikely unison to ruin everyone else's enjoyment.

People live in the city. You are not entitled to have open air parties in areas people live in. Licensed premises have different rules depending on what type of zoning is around them. The guards are called by the people living in these areas to deal with the behaviour. I'm not obliged to listen to someone playing loud techno while they drink cans, huff nitrous oxide and scream obscenities while I'm trying to sleep. The bars around the city centre are very respectful normally, and very receptive if you approach them with issues..........I'm not likely to approach a bunch of coked out 17 year olds who thinks heir invincible......I'm going to call the guards and be grateful when they come and deal with them.

Have a party wherever you live, stand outside your own house playing techno and piss on you or your neighbours doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People live in the city. You are not entitled to have open air parties in areas people live in. Licensed premises have different rules depending on what type of zoning is around them. The guards are called by the people living in these areas to deal with the behaviour. I'm not obliged to listen to someone playing loud techno while they drink cans, huff nitrous oxide and scream obscenities while I'm trying to sleep. The bars around the city centre are very respectful normally, and very receptive if you approach them with issues..........I'm not likely to approach a bunch of coked out 17 year olds who thinks heir invincible......I'm going to call the guards and be grateful when they come and deal with them.

Have a party wherever you live, stand outside your own house playing techno and piss on you or your neighbours doors.

That's city living. Welcome to it. Okay I understand the pissing and maybe there is an element of give and take - It's not an open field and you're not at Creamfields or Tomorrowland but I can assure you that things were extremely casual in the city yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are a number of posters on here trying to make out our poor young people are the most hard hit people and we should just allow them to blow of the steam as if no one else was hard hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's city living. Welcome to it.

Not all cities need to be lawless kips. Welcome to reality.

That's city living. Welcome to it.

Sorry what is city life? Those living there just have to live with it?

• Advertisement

There are a number of posters on here trying to make out our poor young people are the most hard hit people and we should just allow them to blow of the steam as if no one else was hard hit

I remember back when it was the responsible business owners firing fireworks at Gardai that was an acceptable reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

That's city living. Welcome to it. Okay I understand the pissing and maybe there is an element of give and take - It's not an open field and you're not at Creamfields or Tomorrowland but I can assure you that things were extremely casual in the city yesterday.

I live in the city, right beside what was going on yesterday, no it wasn't ok, hence why me and several of my neighbors called the guards. I've also lived right in the city centre for close to two decades and I work in a notorious area, I'm not easily scared. Other than that bad run of Patrick's days a few years ago it has never been like this. But please explain to me more about the city I'm currently living in and how ok it's been that I've been kept awake the last three weekends and the air of menace is palpable.

But as long as you get to come in and drink publically with no license that's the main thing I suppose

The guards have generally been very responsive in fairness and I'd hope when the bars open the camouflage offered to these groups will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

pjohnson wrote: »
    Not all cities need to be lawless kips. Welcome to reality.

Dublin has always been a pretty rough city, I’ve never been to an atm in they city without a zombie harassing me for spare change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry what is city life. Those living there just have to live with it

Lmfao. Are you serious. Put yourself in these peoples shoes, or do you have the maturity to do that?

So casual 19 people were arrested some businesses damaged and people injured

• Advertisement

I remember back when it was the responsible business owners firing fireworks at Gardai that was an acceptable reaction.

??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Dublin has always been a pretty rough city, I’ve never been to an atm in they city without a zombie harassing me for spare change.

I have not lived in Dublin for an awfully long time but do have occasion to visit it for music gigs,CPD,GAA matches,shopping whilst visiting the relatives.

An awful lot of the blame seems to get attributed to the homeless and drug addicts.Same seems very unfair albeit I've a limited experience.

These disturbances appear to be mainly instigated by a small cohort of young people looking for trouble?

BTW well done to An Garda Siochana.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Lmfao. Are you serious. Put yourself in these peoples shoes, or do you have the maturity to do that?

Sorry I was asking a question to the poster I was replying to, who said this was city life welcome. So I was asking did they believe does living in the city should just live with it. Just to be clear I firmly believe everyone who live in the city deserve to live in there places safety and does not have to live what has happened over those nights or at anytime

??

Remember back when there was the arrests during the Freedom Party/Anti-Vax/Anti-Mask and it was being waved away by those claiming it wasn't any of those groups and was just respectable business owners who were being repressed by the tyranical Gardai.

Now its the repressed youth who suffered so much just having a wee party in the streets by the tyranical Gardai.

The reality is the Gardai are doing their best dealing with some of the ultimate wasters the country has to offer. The vast majority of people manage to avoid getting themselves arrested by not being a dope, the Gardai aren't the reason these eejits get arrested.

Remember back when there was the arrests during the Freedom Party/Anti-Vax/Anti-Mask and it was being waved away by those claiming it wasn't any of those groups and was just respectable business owners who were being repressed by the tyranical Gardai.

Now its the repressed youth who suffered so much just having a wee party in the streets by the tyranical Gardai.

The reality is the Gardai are doing their best dealing with some of the ultimate wasters the country has to offer. The vast majority of people manage to avoid getting themselves arrested by not being a dope, the Gardai aren't the reason these eejits get arrested.

Oh that I don't think anyone bar a few like Niall Boylan (his twitter was a hoot this morning, all the police imagination liars the lot of them) thought it was just business people and thought I was okay. I am 100% with you on the gardai

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

None of this shīt is normal you authoritarian weirdos. Everything should be open. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see Eamonn Ryan making a fool of himself yet again, seemingly it's not nice for Gardai to have protective gear and equipment to protect themselves from thuggish louts, it might frigten the youth. Go back to Sleep Eaomon, it suits you. It's astonishing a Government Minister goes on the national Airways to offer criticism of Gardai, one wonders will Heather Humphries have anything to add albeit near impossible to understand her ghastly accent

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I see Eamonn Ryan making a fool of himself yet again, seemingly it's not nice for Gardai to have protective gear and equipment to protect themselves from thuggish louts, it might frigten the youth. Go back to Sleep Eaomon, it suits you. It's astonishing a Government Minister goes on the national Airways to offer criticism of Gardai, one wonders will Heather Humphries have anything to add albeit near impossible to understand her ghastly accent
    I get the impression Eamonn goes to bed at 9.30 just after the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Twitter sounds like it's full of nutjobs tbh.

Every single person iv'e spoken with about it fully supports the Gardai on this one.

Here is what happens when the gardai are not around...

https://m.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/hundreds-of-locals-protest-lack-of-garda-resources-after-brutal-bettystown-beach-attack-40505271.html

For some who hate the gardai for whatever demented reason they can't win no matter what they do.

They had no choice but to get scumbags off the street or someone can end up up killed.

I get the impression Eamonn goes to bed at 9.30 just after the news.

I get the impression he has warm milk before being tucked into bed :)

He seems the decent sort but my god he's clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He seems the decent sort but my god he's clueless

I know, there's so many of them have no idea what's going on and how out of control things are. They should each have to do a night shift with a Garda unit to open their eyes.

I know, there's so many of them have no idea what's going on and how out of control things are. They should each have to do a night shift with a Garda unit to open their eyes.

Brilliant idea but might want to pack a few pillows along with riot gear for poor Eamonn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He wasn't really offering criticism of AGS, more offering an olive branch in a spirit of reconciliation as is his wont.

He's a glass half full type of guy who tries to see the best in everyone.

I suppose he should know after all his years in politics that there are plenty out there who will take said olive branch and beat him about the head and shoulders with it.

elperello wrote: »
    He wasn't really offering criticism of AGS, more offering an olive branch in a spirit of reconciliation as is his wont.

I suppose he should know after all his years in politics that there are plenty out there who will take said olive branch and beat him about the head and shoulders with it.

Yes, being objective, I agree, just felt he really should not have made these comments, another one he made also caught my attention, a suggestion Event Management companies could be brought in, now that is just silly. I'm sure those in this industry which has been decimated would prefer to managing proper events, not a bunch of yobs drinking on the streets of Dublin

Yes, being objective, I agree, just felt he really should not have made these comments, another one he made also caught my attention, a suggestion Event Management companies could be brought in, now that is just silly. I'm sure those in this industry which has been decimated would prefer to managing proper events, not a bunch of yobs drinking on the streets of Dublin

It is hard to see exactly how an event management company could improve the current situation in Dublin.

I wonder is he thinking of something like Macnas or a gig in Marley Park?

I don't think we are ready for anything like that and more low key interactions on a family or neighbourhood level are more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

This exactly. Thousands of young people out on the streets, overwhelmingly a good bunch of guys and gals. A few “scrotes” in the mix, and they all get tarred.

Gardai in an impossible situation.

No one covered themselves in glory, but AGS could have done a better job of it in my opinion. At the end of the day they are held to a higher account, baton charging just dragged the force down to the level of the scrotes and everyone lost.

At the end of the day we want to take the city back.

People need to be able to go into town to shop, eat or whatever without feeling afraid of a bunch of wasters who ultimately offer nothing to society.

Stopping the current mayhem is only the first step.

It is hard to see exactly how an event management company could improve the current situation in Dublin.

I wonder is he thinking of something like Macnas or a gig in Marley Park?

I don't think we are ready for anything like that and more low key interactions on a family or neighbourhood level are more appropriate.

He was actually thinking of it in the context of managing drinkers on streets etc, I just thought it bizzare, the clip was on the 5.30 evening news on virgin media 1

Thankfully it seems a little quiter on the streets tonight

• Advertisement

He was actually thinking of it in the context of managing drinkers on streets etc, I just thought it bizzare, the clip was on the 5.30 evening news on virgin media 1

I didn't see that. I'd need to see the proposal but it seems it would be difficult to make it work.
    Thankfully it seems a little quiter on the streets tonight

A few nights rain would help :)

Advertisement