Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's city living. Welcome to it. Okay I understand the pissing and maybe there is an element of give and take - It's not an open field and you're not at Creamfields or Tomorrowland but I can assure you that things were extremely casual in the city yesterday.

Speaking of which, did you see the Belgium government gave the go ahead for Tomorrowland to take place at the end of August and early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

elperello wrote: »
    He wasn't really offering criticism of AGS, more offering an olive branch in a spirit of reconciliation as is his wont.

He's a glass half full type of guy who tries to see the best in everyone.

I suppose he should know after all his years in politics that there are plenty out there who will take said olive branch and beat him about the head and shoulders with it.

Scumbags will take your olive branch and hit you over the head with it. They throw bottles and we should all be nicey, nicey with them?

The soft approach hasn't worked and they think they rule the city. They need a rude awakening from the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Scum have votes as well, scummy Mammy and Daddy count as well and uncle scummy and auntie scummy can vote too. Unfortunately they are multiplying in this country and certain parties see them as their ticket to power. We are expected to finance them until their party of Choice get into power probably in the next election and are then found out. Middle class Ireland expected to pay as usual. Utter scum and their party of Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Either drinking alcohol on public streets and parks in Dublin is illegal or it's not.
    Government felt it acceptable to order me to stay within 2km of home under threat of arrest and fines, they closed down workplaces for months.
    But they couldn't do anything about pubs selling takeaway pints?

But no, We're having an "outdoor summer". Thousands apparently "permitted" to congregate in parks and streets to drink takeaway pints with a blind eye turned by Gardai and extra bins and portaloos supplied by our betters in DCC.
    All very comfy and trendy for social media selfies and likes until the Garda and those that facilitated it decide it's not. Then it's batons and shields and be off with you at 7pm.

But it's the can drinkers causing the trouble. They're buying the cheap supermarket cans (shudder). They're not like us middleclass street drinkers paying 8 euro for less than a pint in a plastic cup. Plebs and scrotes. You don't expect us to follow public health measures during a pandemic?

Anyway, ACAB roysh? Defund the Garda roysh? Let's redirect Garda funding to skate parks, Yoof clubs and white-water kayaking on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Mimon wrote: »
    Scumbags will take your olive branch and hit you over the head with it. They throw bottles and we should all be nicey, nicey with them?

The soft approach hasn't worked and they think they rule the city. They need a rude awakening from the guards.

Yeah like what they did to these poor lads on Friday night ... except with whatever they can get their hands on... in this case cones ... Time to round up these scumbags.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/radissonblu-royalhotel-goldenlane-gangattack-gardai-20752020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Either drinking alcohol on public streets and parks in Dublin is illegal or it's not.
    Government felt it acceptable to order me to stay within 2km of home under threat of arrest and fines, they closed down workplaces for months.

But no, We're having an "outdoor summer". Thousands apparently "permitted" to congregate in parks and streets to drink takeaway pints with a blind eye turned by Gardai and extra bins and portaloos supplied by our betters in DCC.
    All very comfy and trendy for social media selfies and likes until the Garda and those that facilitated it decide it's not. Then it's batons and shields and be off with you at 7pm.

But it's the can drinkers causing the trouble. They're buying the cheap supermarket cans (shudder). They're not like us middleclass street drinkers paying 8 euro for less than a pint in a plastic cup. Plebs and scrotes. You don't expect us to follow public health measures during a pandemic?

Anyway, ACAB roysh? Defund the Garda roysh? Let's redirect Garda funding to skate parks, Yoof clubs and white-water kayaking on O'Connell Street.

Any idiot paying 8 euro for a "pint" in a plastic cup needs a good belt of a baton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

That's really the root of this problem that is being ignored.

Requests to stop takeaway pints as well as the 100 metre rule was ignored by publicans. As was casual drinking on the street, if the guards had nipped this in the bud a few months ago it would never have mushroomed into the ****show we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Batons aren't enough for those tbh. We go too easy on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Strumms wrote: »

There is post covid going to need to be something done with these feral toerags.

I think the cats out of the bag now. They have always had the run of the place but now they know they have the run of the place.

Don't know if that genie is going back in the bottle. This is consequences of years of mismanagement and tolerance of low level scumbag behaviour in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Strumms wrote: »
    There is post covid going to need to be something done with these feral toerags.

And this is the thing some seem to be completely disregarding. The ferals of Ireland get worse and worse every year with zero repercussions

Once the pandemic fully passes I'd rank the ferals as in the top 5 biggest issue Ireland faces

Obviously things like the Health service and the Housing crises would be higher, but I honestly don't think by much

The scroates are breaking this country, in Dublin and Limerick in particular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Average age of about 15 and a single brain cell between them. It's just like JC night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

is_that_so wrote: »
    Average age of about 15 and a single brain cell between them. It's just like JC night.

And some still try to say we cant judge the youths since the suffered through lockdown and are worst hit.

The Gardai are too soft. Every tít in that video mounting the car deserves arrest.

pjohnson wrote: »
    And some still try to say we cant judge the youths since the suffered through lockdown and are worst hit.

The Gardai are too soft. Every tít in that video mounting the car deserves arrest.

And the sad part is, had one of them been injured it probably be the taxi driver who'd be before the courts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

pjohnson wrote: »

The overall majority of the youths in Ireland are contained in that video above, so perfectly reasonable to infer they are all like that and judge them so.

Actually no, I looked again. There's only about 20 of them in that video, and there's around 1 million "youths" in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

prunudo wrote: »
    And the sad part is, had one of them been injured it probably be the taxi driver who'd be before the courts.

Last time I looked the courts were run by adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's all well and good when scrote behaviour goes on in the lower class suburbs but when it happens in places where official Ireland like to populate, the media are happy to cover it.

This is what so much of us are used to seeing. Massive fights, shop owners being harassed, taxi drivers being attacked. It moved into the City Centre and suddenly something needs to be done. The same with the incidents in Malahide.

Maybe addressing skanger culture may be a good thing to come of this.

Last time I looked the courts were run by adults.

You'd like to think so but adults can be prone to questionable decisions at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Let's be honest, its a certain element of society who is partaking in the rioting with Guards.

I can safely say that I would never have fought with the police, no matter how much drink I had onboard.
    Nor would any of the people I went drinking with over the years.

I'm not claiming we're all super nice, but we know its only a tiny section of people who would get involved in this.
    And Covid and lockdowns are mostly irrelevant in the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As a comparison, how many people were arrested in Dublin City on the June Bank Holiday for fighting, drunkeness, assault, public order offences back in say 2019,before Covid?

Not zero I'd suggest, but to listen to radio or TV over the last few days it seems there is Armageddon on the streets.

A mix of some scrotes, a lot of people having a few beers and a Garda force looking to make a political point but doing it in a cack handed manner is what it looks like to me.

The reporting of these incidents leaves a lot to be desired as usual, always a spin being spun to drive some narrative or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

As a comparison, how many people were arrested in Dublin City on the June Bank Holiday for fighting, drunkeness, assault, public order offences back in say 2019,before Covid?

Not zero I'd suggest, but to listen to radio or TV over the last few days it seems there is Armageddon on the streets.

A mix of some scrotes, a lot of people having a few beers and a Garda force looking to make a political point but doing it in a cack handed manner is what it looks like to me.

The reporting of these incidents leaves a lot to be desired as usual, always a spin being spun to drive some narrative or other.

There are a rake of people on here living in the middle of the city telling you it's much worse. You'd only have to walk through the city to know it's worse. There's people calling the guards every night.

The city was ignored and now the demographic has shifted. Could be a long time shifting back. I reallyhope the bars opening improve it.

The cultural hate of the gaurds is a real problem in a handful of areas. That is certainly not helping

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

One difference being, other BH weekends there wasn't a pandemic virus circulating that made social and physical distancing a priority. So not really comparable.

Gardai have enough to be doing without trying to make political points, I'd suggest.

But spin, absolutely - there is nothing these days without an angle or agenda, and suitably presented/ edited to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Maybe addressing skanger culture may be a good thing to come of this.

Just let the manger from the Oriental Emporium loose on them. Pay him whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

prunudo wrote: »

Well If I was said taxi driver, I would have told the judge fcuk off, not my problem.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I feel especially sorry for people living in the city center and in places where there is constant unrest and calling the guards every night.
    It must be torture.
    It certainly has escalated in recent times and this is for obvious reasons. People gathering and mob mentality is with these scroats has to be stopped. Anyone who think the guards are using excessive force and "Crack handed manner" need their head examined.
    How else are the guards going to deal with this? They are too soft completely - the battons should be used. Round them up and fire them into a paddy wagon and detain them for 24 hours (this just isn't feasible currently - I know)
    Video evidence like the twitter link above should be used to prosecute.

I know only too well that this behavior is a constant in certain areas of all large cities but lawless Ireland shouldn't be allowed to spill onto the city center streets - whether it's reported on or you like that or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well If I was said taxi driver, I would have told the judge fcuk off, not my problem.

You would, yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

FAKE NEWS HEADLINES:: Gardaī have come under criticism..full stop..etc etc etc....
    NORMAL TRUTHFUL NEWS HEADLINES: Gardaī have come under criticism by some..but also have had huge support for their handling of disturbances in Dublin City over the bank holiday weekend. full stop. etc etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think the cats out of the bag now. They have always had the run of the place but now they know they have the run of the place.

Don't know if that genie is going back in the bottle. This is consequences of years of mismanagement and tolerance of low level scumbag behaviour in town.

Absolutely spot on here. This isn't going away.

When the rest of us return to pubs, and have a night out with our mates-The type of people who climb onto moving taxis, and young females who kick bonnets of same, they don't think logically "okay guys, let's tone it down now"

They see town as a venue now in itself. For mayhem. They'll still come. A new precedent has been set, get onto Snapchat, bring your drink and go mental.

Basically a junior night with a bit of paddy's day every week. Numbers work in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Garda should not be calling any part of the population scrotes. It is unhelpful and is an attitude that could well incite a negative reaction from those it’s directed at. If I called someone a sceptre I wouldn’t expect it to go well.

When did the Gardai call them scrotes ? They are scrotes though, they have chosen to behave in a way that enables this definition of them to be true, accurate and tangible...

A negative reaction ? Such as what ?

Advertisement