Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eradication

Options

Comments

How are people feeling about eradication now?

'No evidence' of immunity in recovered patients - WHO
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/1132298-who-anti-bodies-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How are people feeling about eradication now?

'No evidence' of immunity in recovered patients - WHO
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0418/1132298-who-anti-bodies-covid-19/

It's been well known for years that long term immunity to most coronavirus strains is never achieved.
    There is no evidence a vaccine will be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why can't each county ban international travel and any suppliers that do need to travel are tested on entry and exit? Each country should eradicate it first. That would surely be quicker than a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It just wouldn’t be economically viable really.

I suspect that if Government here were to open up county by county, we would see a small scale of what it would be like to open country by country - people would get very resentful of their neighbours freedoms and feel as though they were being punished unfairly.

It just wouldn’t be economically viable really.

I suspect that if Government here were to open up county by county, we would see a small scale of what it would be like to open country by country - people would get very resentful of their neighbours freedoms and feel as though they were being punished unfairly.

But just talking ballpark, we should have no new cases in 5/6 months time. Then we could go back to normal completely (that's assuming all travel was banned outside the country and all necessary services were tested upon entering).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

If it was that simple someone would have thought of it already.

trapp wrote: »
    If it was that simple someone would have thought of it already.

Great insight.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Great insight.

Well my poor man it's about all I can give your proposal

It just wouldn't work.

The world is too connected and would simply stop functioning if no travel was allowed and everyone stayed indoors for 6 months.

Even doing that might not eradicate it in one country, never mind every country

Well my poor man it's about all I can give your proposal

It just wouldn't work.

The world is too connected and would simply stop functioning if no travel was allowed and everyone stayed indoors for 6 months.

Even doing that might not eradicate it in one country, never mind every country

It wouldn't mean everyone needs to be indoors for 6 months, it could be done the same way we are doing it now. The only exception is the ban on travel. New Zealand have already done this and have been successful.

It wouldn't mean everyone needs to be indoors for 6 months, it could be done the same way we are doing it now. The only exception is the ban on travel. New Zealand have already done this and have been successful.

The world is too connected

Wouldn't work.

forget the idea.

• Advertisement

The world is too connected

Wouldn't work.

forget the idea.

It would

No.

Cheers

It would

No.

Cheers

If it would work my poor friend why are we not doing it?

If it would work my poor friend why are we not doing it?

That's the question...my poor friend.

The fact my poor man that nobody else has even responded to your post tells you all you need to know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

That's the question...my poor friend.

And the answer is because it wouldn't work. End of thread.

The fact my poor man that nobody else has even responded to your post tells you all you need to know!!

If you've nothing to add, then cheerio. Good man yourself.

And the answer is because it wouldn't work. End of thread.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

If China can do it, why can't we?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Why?

Why do you think? I'm not bothered doing your thinking for you. How long will it take for the virus to be "eradicated"? Start there.

• Advertisement

Why do you think? I'm not bothered doing your thinking for you. How long will it take for the virus to be "eradicated"? Start there.

Few months per country. 6 maximum.

Few months per country. 6 maximum.

And you've based that timeline on what? Is that 6 months from now, or from our first case.

And you've based that timeline on what? Is that 6 months from now, or from our first case.

On the rate of decrease of new cases. Obviously it's approximate unless you want an exact date?

On the rate of decrease of new cases. Obviously it's approximate unless you want an exact date?

So 6 months from now? Have you taken into account the likelihood of new cases increasing after a lifting of restrictions which is to occur in the very near future? What then?

It's a widely held belief that Corona is here to stay until we get a vaccine, which we may not get, which at best estimates is 18 months away. The average for a new vaccine is ~10-15 years in ordinary circumstances.

So 6 months from now? Have you taken into account the likelihood of new cases increasing after a lifting of restrictions which is to occur in the very near future? What then?

It's a widely held belief that Corona is here to stay until we get a vaccine, which we may not get, which at best estimates is 18 months away. The average for a new vaccine is ~10-15 years in ordinary circumstances.

Yes, they rise slightly and then are reduced until eliminated.

Yes, they rise slightly and then are reduced until eliminated.

So you are saying that Corona virus will be eliminated in 6 months? Ye, ok.

Goodnight and goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

The current rate of decrease is due to unprecedented social restrictions on a global scale, these are unsustainable until such time as there is a vaccine (that is the only way Covid-19 can be 'eradicated'). Therefore restrictions are and will be further lifted across the globe, stemming and then reversing the rate of decrease.

So you are saying that Corona virus will be eliminated in 6 months? Ye, ok.

Goodnight and goodluck.

Cheerio, good man. Close your mind again. Thanks

ek motor wrote: »
    The current rate of decrease is due to unprecedented social restrictions on a global scale, these are unsustainable until such time as there is a vaccine (that is the only way Covid-19 can be 'eradicated'). Therefore restrictions are and will be further lifted across the globe, stemming and then reversing the rate of decrease.

So do you see 100+ new cases in Ireland until next summer?

• Advertisement

Cheerio, good man. Close your mind again. Thanks

I'm not closing my mind. Can you find any reputable source that suggests it's possible to "eradicate" coronavirus in 6 months max?

Advertisement