Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grape vines for the south west

Options
  • 02-04-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Good morning,

Could anyone recommend a vine suitable to grow in the south west (Kerry)?

It would be in a poly tunnel but in an area that's close to the sea (approx 2 km).

It would be planted in a South facing location so plenty of sunshine if we ever get any.

Preferably looking at eating grapes.

Thanks!

Comments

I did some research last year but cant remember most of it now.
    Black Hamburg kept coming up and it ended up being one of the only varieties i could get locally.
    Its sprung into life in the last 3 weeks.
    Planted outside the greenhouse but trained in through the wall.

The missus did manage to pick up a white grape vine that we planted outside and it looks like its getting some buds now,its way behind the indoor one.
    My uncle has a white grape vine outside the last 15years or so and its magnificent in summer.Loaded with tiny buches .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I planted a cheap Merlot vine I got in one of the German supermarkets and here is a video clip of it with some grapes five years back. It is planted near the edge of the tunnel in north county Cork which I do not try to keep insulated as I read it is important for the roots to get some amount of cold in the winter for them to fruit well. The vine is productive but the skin might be a bit thick for an eating grape although that is all I do with part of the crop which mostly gets left for the birds in recent years. I think most vines should grow OK in the situation you describe but a soft skinned one might be better for eating. Monty Donn from BBC Gardeners World recommends thinning out the grapes to help the fruit get bigger and tastier but I have never had the patience to do this and do find some of the bigger bunches can have a few moldy fruit near the middle of the bunch. Just don't have the right set up in the kitchen to brew some wine but have to give it a go some year as it is a shame to not be using all of the fruit. I visited Glebe Gardens near Baltimore in west Cork before and I think they mentioned having a nice eating grape in a polytunnel but also think they might have mentioned having a problem with wasps being attracted which might be more of a problem with soft skinned varieties of grape. If you get in touch with them they might be able to give you some more information on their experience as it was a few years back that I visited there.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Thanks for all the great advice and tips lads. That vine in your YouTube video is thriving!

Advertisement