Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone prepay WiFi modem question

• 02-04-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I wonder if anyone else uses the Vodafone prepay WiFi modem?
    Usually I go to their shop and they top it up by 20 and get the add on for 28 days internet, but the shops are all shut now.
    I guess I can top it up myself by putting the SIM into a phone and using the automated system to put a credit onto it, but what I don't know how to do is get the add on for the 28 days.
    Does anyone know : does the add on get triggered automatically when it's topped up ? Or is there something I can do to activate the 28 day add on ?
    Without the add on I'm guessing it might just burn through the 20 euro credit at a per kilobyte rate and be gone after an hour or so.
    Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Which add on? Is it the old 7.5GB add on? Or is it the 20GB for 20e top up plan? If it's the 7.5GB add on then you need to opt in to the 20GB plan by texting MBB to 50222 BEFORE topping up...must be sent BEFORE topping up.
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband.html

It can be topped up via their website, ensure you use the correct "number" and check the top up amount as it defaults to 30e, just change it to 20.
    https://topup.vodafone.ie/VodafoneIEExternalWeb/enter.do

Is it your only source of internet connection...if there's data allowance on your phone then it's possible to tether from that if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Thanks for the advice. So I'll put the SIM in the phone to send the text and then I top up, and it should work. Yes it's my only source of internet and only have an old (non-smart) phone which is why I'm nervous of losing all access to the net when the 28 days run out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Depending on the modem, there may be a way to send SMS by logging in to the settings through a browser. The usual address is 192.168.1.1

If registered for my Vodafone, it may be possible to select the 20GB plan from there. The other add ons may also be shown there too. Just remember that a plan change will take effect at next top up while add-on purchase will take immediate affect.

To register for my Vodafone requires verification by SMS so if that's not visible through the browser interface (192.168.1.1) then put the SIM in the phone to get the SMS. However it will be a bit awkward to do it that way as the internet connection will be disconnected while SIM is in the phone and it may not resume in the exact same page and there's probably a time limit before the verification code expires...better to use the SMS via the modem interface if it's there.

There are other options if you have another SIM in the phone as long as it's a Vodafone SIM with some data that, in theory, will also work in the modem with a minor tweak. That will depend on what plan is set for that SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Thanks for your help. I've registered for my Vodafone and I can see I'm on the MBB 20 euro offer, so I can just top up when it's about to run out and it should keep going.

Advertisement