Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay our Nurses/healthcare staff a decent wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Why do so many compare wages here with that of Australia?

Australia is just about the highest wage economy in the world, it's not had a recession since 1993

Its the country where Irish nurses go to , english speaking they appreciate and do everything to hold onto nurses,

Chiparus wrote: »
    Why do Irish nurses leave to work in the NHS?

Because people that quote those numbers don't seem to realise that Ireland is also now expensive to live than the countries they compare to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Because people that quote those numbers don't seem to realise that Ireland is also now expensive to live than the countries they compare to.

A fair point.

Consumer prices here are 29% above the EU average.

Geuze wrote: »
    A fair point.

Consumer prices here are 29% above the EU average.

There's very few things we would be considered cheap on.

Water being the only one that springs to mind. Maybe electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Its the country where Irish nurses go to , english speaking they appreciate and do everything to hold onto nurses,

So what?

Ireland is not Australia, we cannot offer the kind of renumeration for any profession that Australia does

We offer more however than most EU countries including the UK

• Advertisement

New Zealand is as expensive as Australia despite wages being significantly lower, Canada is more expensive than the US despite wages being lower

There is no automatic entitlement to higher wages based on cost of living

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So what?

Ireland is not Australia, we cannot offer the kind of renumeration for any profession that Australia does

I'm sure the East Asia or African countries also cannot pay the wages Irish nurses are getting paid and lament their best and brightest are coming here.

I have no issues with people travelling for better pay and working conditions. Ireland should be making itself competitive to attract talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Two points:

i) Anyone refrencing US avg lifespan expectations (page 1), needs to remember that it has actually dropped over recent years despite an economic boom.
    Not directly due to healthcare. Instead due to big Pharma, 'pushing product' - to create a nasty opioid epidemic.

ii) Many folks move to Aus, due to the better lifestyle and weather, not just for the dolla' n' coin.

So what?

We can offer bankers and politicians better rates than they would earn in Australia,

Of course we can, we choose not to.

As for the UK , it is interesting that the nurses in the UK part of Ireland dont seem attracted the the super dooper pay in the South.
    And nurses here are leaving to work in the UK, where I am told the take-home pay and conditions are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think you should know what you mean and use the correct term.

Are Gardai 'car coppers'? Nurses now 'hospital medics'?
    i'd say youre a barrel of laughs. top of your class in pedantic studies at templemore

• Advertisement

We can offer bankers and politicians better rates than they would earn in Australia,

As for the UK , it is interesting that the nurses in the UK part of Ireland dont seem attracted the the super dooper pay in the South.
    And nurses here are leaving to work in the UK, where I am told the take-home pay and conditions are better.

Do bankers earn more in Ireland than Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I see you posted , what I was going too! Outrageous and over the top pay, for luas drivers for example, many in government , outrageous welfare! all a choice, choices that effect our ability to pay others, more...

I was in Australia over Christmas, head "oh its so expensive etc" couldnt believe how reasonable sydney and melbourne were compared to dublin for drinking and eating out! And the wages seem to be far higher and they dont thieve FIFTY percent over a pittance of an income there, to keep an insane welfare class happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am curiours how much do you thing the agency fee is?

It's about 1.7 times the employees actual wage. I know because I was once an agency worker and my lazy boss had me handle my own invoices....

Do bankers earn more in Ireland than Australia?

Yep. certainly the highest paid banker in Ireland earns more than the highest paid banker in Australia.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I see you posted , what I was going too! Outrageous and over the top pay, for luas drivers for example, many in government , outrageous welfare! all a choice, choices that effect our ability to pay others, more...

I was in Australia over Christmas, head "oh its so expensive etc" couldnt believe how reasonable sydney and melbourne were compared to dublin for drinking and eating out! And the wages seem to be far higher and they dont thieve FIFTY percent over a pittance of an income there, to keep an insane welfare class happy!

Yep whenI lived there the effective income tax was less than 30%, you could tax deduct anything to do with work, here I am only allowed to tax deduct my registration .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Idbatterim wrote: »

Was out there last year food in Supermarkets was not much more expensive, some veg yes, beer and sports are but wine us not. Accommodation is but cars are fuel are cheap as well. All on all not much more expensive than Ireland. Easy to use public transport system and a taxi version of ubber.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sorry, what do nurses get paid? Isn't it somewhere between 25 and 45 an hour? Is that not plenty?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,350 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sorry, what do nurses get paid? Isn't it somewhere between 25 and 45 an hour? Is that not plenty?

No no no..

It’s all the rage now to put health workers up on some lofty pedestal because of this virus...

Credit to all healthcare workers, but this OTT congratulatory nonsense is grating me...it’s very insincere.

They are doing a job, and we appreciate it.

Doctors and nurses are well paid, or at least, not at all poorly paid..

• Registered Users Posts: 56,350 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People out clapping today

Few weeks, it will be back to the same old story, hospital full of drunk Irish people abusing the staff and thinking it acceptable

Complaining if they ask for pay rise and quoting they get paid xyz so they deserve nothing, plenty of threads on here if you look for them

It’s all about the moment, at the moment people need nurses etc so you have this fake clapping sh*t, few weeks they still need nurses but not as important so they threat them like dogs!!!!

It’s so phoney.....

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

"Average salaries for all levels, including allowances and premium payments, of €57,000 a year and starting salaries, again including the extras, of €37,000 (the numbers are from the Department of Public Expenditure, which pays the bills" - Pat Leahy Irish Times 2019

So the OP thinks that nurses again deserve to be paid more (they went on strike mere months ago), even though they have a 100% secure employment job with a massive union. An amazing amount of paid sick leave. A 3 day work week. The ability to double their earnings with overtime, even double jobbing it with agency work on the side. And to top it off they get a gold plated pension whuch they do not pay into much at all. Oh did I mention the pay agreement they already signed up to gave them a 7% increase this year? That's on top of their upward only payscale.

All this at a time when the poor private sector workers are enduring massive layoffs and salary reductions. Many having no pension at all, zilch job security. And certainly no union with which to bully the government (closing cancer wards FFS!) or bribing political parties with nurse votes (lots of em, standard INMO tactic).

I say we make ALL public sector payslips public domain. After all we have to pay for them, but we dont get to know what they REALLY earn and instead have to endure this entitled bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

purifol0 wrote: »
    " And to top it off they get a gold plated pension whuch they do not pay into much at all. .

PS pension conts = 6.5% plus 10% on earnings over 32k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Does anybody know how many frontline healthcare staff there are in this country?

It would be interesting to know what percentage are infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Nurses are well paid. Theres also no obligation for a qualified nurse to work for the HSE if they're not happy with the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Nurses are well paid. Theres also no obligation for a qualified nurse to work for the HSE if they're not happy with the pay.

Interestingly alot of nurses dont - they emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

JJJackal wrote: »
    Interestingly alot of nurses dont - they emigrate.

I'm glad you agree that pay is not the problem then, and it must be the working conditions

"Average salaries for all levels, including allowances and premium payments, of €57,000 a year and starting salaries, again including the extras, of €37,000 (the numbers are from the Department of Public Expenditure, which pays the bills" - Pat Leahy Irish Times 2019

So the OP thinks that nurses again deserve to be paid more (they went on strike mere months ago), even though they have a 100% secure employment job with a massive union. An amazing amount of paid sick leave. A 3 day work week. The ability to double their earnings with overtime, even double jobbing it with agency work on the side. And to top it off they get a gold plated pension whuch they do not pay into much at all. Oh did I mention the pay agreement they already signed up to gave them a 7% increase this year? That's on top of their upward only payscale.

All this at a time when the poor private sector workers are enduring massive layoffs and salary reductions. Many having no pension at all, zilch job security. And certainly no union with which to bully the government (closing cancer wards FFS!) or bribing political parties with nurse votes (lots of em, standard INMO tactic).

I say we make ALL public sector payslips public domain. After all we have to pay for them, but we dont get to know what they REALLY earn and instead have to endure this entitled bull****.

You mean this...

https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/resources/hr-circulars/hr-circular-025-2019-appendix-2-amended-1-september-2019-consolidated-pay-scales-final-pdf.pdf

which is freely available on the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

salonfire wrote: »
    I'm glad you agree that pay is not the problem then, and it must be the working conditions

One of 2 things have to happen to keep someone in a job:

1) great quality job with lots of opportunities and treated well

or

2) alot of money

Nurses get paid well but not very well. And i dont think nurses would say they are treated very well

No I said the actual TOTAL amount that they get paid. Not the pay scale.
    Lets have some shocking real world examples shall we:

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/four-staff-nurses-earned-over-140000-last-year-229997.html

That was when the country was in the throws of recession so how about one from last Christmas:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/idm-10.jpg

Nurses are in fact raking it in much the same way as the Gards did it; via overtime and a plethora of "allowances". Payscales dont mean ****, total amount is all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

No I said the actual TOTAL amount that they get paid. Not the pay scale.
    Lets have some shocking real world examples shall we:

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/four-staff-nurses-earned-over-140000-last-year-229997.html

That was when the country was in the throws of recession so how about one from last Christmas:

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/idm-10.jpg

Nurses are in fact raking it in much the same way as the Gards did it; via overtime and a plethora of "allowances". Payscales dont mean ****, total amount is all that matters.

The allowances that nurses get are freely available. There's not much there at all.

I don't know why you're so upset that someone worked so much overtime. They were probably taking every shift going and doing 70 or 80 hours a week and working every holiday. There's an international shortage of nurses. A nurse leaving Ireland could get a job anywhere

I'm not a nurse, but it'd really upset you if you knew who much I make in overtime a year. But I do 24 and 30 hour shifts and 60, 70 and 80 hour weeks.

You could always get a second job if you want to make more money. Then you might realise that more money means more hours.

• Advertisement

The allowances that nurses get are freely available. There's not much there at all.

I don't know why you're so upset that someone worked so much overtime. They were probably taking every shift going and doing 70 or 80 hours a week and working every holiday. There's an international shortage of nurses. A nurse leaving Ireland could get a job anywhere

I'm not a nurse, but it'd really upset you if you knew who much I make in overtime a year. But I do 24 and 30 hour shifts and 60, 70 and 80 hour weeks.

You could always get a second job if you want to make more money. Then you might realise that more money means more hours.

Absolutely not the point. Tax payers deserve better than lies by the public servants they pay.

The Lie: Nurses claiming they are low paid
    The truth: Not only are they better paid than most of the private sector, they also have the ability to rack up HUGE overtime, plus job security and DB pension.

The only way to stop public servants claiming that they are low paid is to see how much they are actually taking in. And they dont want us to know that....for obvious r€asons.

This is going to be a pretty hot topic when the lock down is over and the HSE bill comes up at the next budget. Mass unemployment means even the teachers have decided to quietly shut up about their recent strikes.

Advertisement