Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay our Nurses/healthcare staff a decent wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

cms88 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Nurses are very quick to tell every how it's a caring professions but have no issues with going to the middle east where there are widely know and huge human rights violations

But how dose being a careing profession have anything to do with going to the middle east? There's no connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

mariaalice wrote: »
    But how dose being a careing profession have anything to do with going to the middle east? There's no connection.

It was in the last post but i'll say it again. Counties in the Middle East with well know human rights violations are were the ''careing professions'' are going. I wonder why they would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Nursing hasn't been described or thought of as a calling in about 30 years althogh you do need a certain typer of personality for it.

Its a profession, I also think there an underlying element of misogyny going on here as well, as its largley a female profession. Nobody would question QS or Civil engineer going to the middle east to work.

Wow so now we have misogyny to blame for pointing out that nurses are paid very well. Hmm wonder whats left. As for the comparison to QS's/civil engineer I wonder what people would think if they shut down a hospital eh? Somehow only nurses seem to get off scot free for reneging on their agreed pay deal and screwing people out of approx 25,000 appointments.

It was in the last post but i'll say it again. Counties in the Middle East with well know human rights violations are were the ''careing professions'' are going. I wonder why they would be?

I still do not get the connection to being a caring profession, shoud doctors or other allied health care profession not go to the middle east as well or is it only nurses?.

For the record, I do not think Nurses are poorly paid my opnion is that in Ireland its not badly paid it middling but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

ITman88 wrote: »
    How does it compare to the UK or European countries?

Like pretty much every other job in the country, Irish workers are paid better than their UK counterparts.
    Both in gross and net pay.

Ireland is a high wage economy.

• Advertisement

I still do not get the connection to being a caring profession, shoud doctors or other allied health care profession not go to the middle east as well or is it only nurses?.

For the record, I do not think Nurses are poorly paid my opnion is that in Ireland its not badly paid it middling but that is just my opinion.

We're not talking about doctors or anyone else here just nurses

No tax.
    Save for a house deposit.

We're not talking about doctors or anyone else here just nurses

You are still not explaining why they are different, saying they are different because of careing nature of some of the work?

You are still not explaining why they are different, saying they are different because of careing nature of some of the work?

How many times do you need to be told? Yes it's the same with doctoers but this topic is about nurses.

Also as have already been stated a lot of the actual ''caring'' part of it isn't even done by nurse it's done by the HCA's

• Advertisement

Anyway, a lot of the argument here, particularly from one poster, are of the foaming at the mouth with resentment type, another poster seems to have a confusing mishmash of ideas about caring.

The misogyny might be unconscious but its there.

Rodin wrote: »
    Like pretty much every other job in the country, Irish workers are paid better than their UK counterparts.
    Both in gross and net pay.

Ireland is a high wage economy.

Saying this is void of context and understanding.

Ireland is a high debt nation, caused almost singlehandledly at this stage by high pay and pensions within the public sector.

The private sector workers are not over all that much compared to their European counterparts, but the public sector most definitely are.

The public sector earn about 40% more an average that the people whose taxes pay them! However since tax revenue alone hasn't been able to afford their ever increasing salaries and gold plated pensions the govt has seen fit to simply borrow billions to pay them.

Hence we are now heading north of 200Billion debt again

Anyway, a lot of the argument here, particularly from one poster, are of the foaming at the mouth with resentment type, another poster seems to have a confusing mishmash of ideas about caring.

So you don't agree with someone so it has to be misogyny :rolleyes:

Unconscious misogyny eh. God knows what else the posters here are thinking consciously or subconsciously. Glad we have you to interpret valid criticism for what it really is.

purifol0 wrote: »
    Saying this is void of context and understanding.

Ireland is a high debt nation, caused almost singlehandledly at this stage by high pay and pensions within the public sector.

The private sector workers are not over all that much compared to their European counterparts, but the public sector most definitely are.

The public sector earn about 40% more an average that the people whose taxes pay them! However since tax revenue alone hasn't been able to afford their ever increasing salaries and gold plated pensions the govt has seen fit to simply borrow billions to pay them.

Hence we are now heading north of 200Billion debt again

The people whose taxes pay them?
    If the public sector are paid 40% more than private then they are paying more tax!

Right now the public sector is paying the tax. Who's paying the 350 euro covid payment?

How many times do you need to be told? Yes it's the same with doctoers but this topic is about nurses.

Also as have already been stated a lot of the actual ''caring'' part of it isn't even done by nurse it's done by the HCA's

So if HCA's do the care work what has that to do with Nurses, the vast majority know that some posters seem to think it will be a revelation that HCA do a lot of the caring work other posters are acting on stereotypes. Thay have a very good union that is a lot of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That is chronicly feeble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

We'll be lucky if we can keep the lights on after this I'd say. Did we just spend 200 Mil on PPE alone compared to 15 mil per year usually.

Money,. Tax free?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That is chronicly feeble

No its not people are often unaware of their own motivation or they dress there motivation in noble ideas like saving the taxpayers money.

The vast majority of nurses are not going around reflecting on their job and being caring they are just getting on with like everyone else.

I am genuinely curious about this are nurses supposed to say they are humbly grateful for having a job in the HSE with reasonable good pay and conditions?

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    The people whose taxes pay them?
    If the public sector are paid 40% more than private then they are paying more tax!

Right now the public sector is paying the tax. Who's paying the 350 euro covid payment?

By this logic we shuld just increase public sector pay and we'll all be minted!

Of course to believe this you'd have to be either completely stupid, or a pubSec trade union spokesperson!

Now Im going to take a risk and presume that you arent stupid enough to think that and are of course aware that the money that will be used for dole AND to pay for all the pubsec workers massive pay and pensions right now is coming from guess where....yeah we borrowed another 6 billion.

Interest rate 0.25%

https://kfmradio.com/news/10042020-1232/listen-finance-minister-says-today-good-friday-eu?qt-featured_stories=2

Of course to believe this you'd have to be either completely stupid, or a pubSec trade union spokesperson!

Now Im going to take a risk and presume that you arent stupid enough to think that and are of course aware that the money that will be used for dole AND to pay for all the pubsec workers massive pay and pensions right now is coming from guess where....yeah we borrowed another 6 billion.

Interest rate 0.25%

https://kfmradio.com/news/10042020-1232/listen-finance-minister-says-today-good-friday-eu?qt-featured_stories=2

No doubt the Christmas bonus will still go ahead.

Interest rate 0.25%

Yep as I thought makes as much sense as Kim Kardashian's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You will be happy to hear that due to the paycuts during 2009-2012, the PS pay premium has been reduced.

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/publicprivatesectorpaydifferential/

Now, it is true that lower paid PS are overpaid relative to private sector (think COs).

But higher paid PS are underpaid relative to private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Let me get this straight you reckon taking home double and even triple the average industrial wage back in recessionary 2014 is nothing to write home about??? To many people that would be the opposite of "low paid".

You're hand picking a dozen nurses and painting the other 28000 of them with the same brush.

Pure begrudgery and a total lack of understanding of the range of nurse duties and responsibilities.

Unless you put forward an intelligent argument you're not worth the effort.

What about an international comparison...oh it looks like theyre doing pretty well there too huh. How are they low paid again?

Nobody is claiming that nurses are low-paid.

They are not low-paid.

If the OP claimed this, then they are one of the many eejits on Boards.

No PS in Ireland is underpaid.

Let me get this straight you reckon taking home double and even triple the average industrial wage back in recessionary 2014 is nothing to write home about??? To many people that would be the opposite of "low paid".

Average earnings in industry are 45k.

Nobody is claiming that nurses are on double or triple 45k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nurses are reasonably well paid.

People should note that the HSE has hired an additional 12,000 people 2015-2019.

Quite a number of nurses in that figure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/resources/our-workforce/workforce-reporting/health-service-employment-report-dec-2019.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjtt8CSpt_oAhUVURUIHXHqCA8QFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1cciJEdf6SoxWIui3e1GZ6

Page 49-52 for the 2015-2019 sector breakdown.

There is this view that we have vast numbers of people leaving the system but it is not true in the least.

There are some pressures here and there, consultants and GPs for example, but the penny pinching narrative is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No its not people are often unaware of their own motivation or they dress there motivation in noble ideas like saving the taxpayers money.

The vast majority of nurses are not going around reflecting on their job and being caring they are just getting on with like everyone else.

I am genuinely curious about this are nurses supposed to say they are humbly grateful for having a job in the HSE with reasonable good pay and conditions?

Enough of the pseudo psychology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think PS staff sitting in an office checking their watch to see when they can use their flexi-time to get out of there is a lot different to frontline public servants who work every second weekend, deal with the sick and undesirables and keep.our country safer.

This thread is about our frontline workers not those sitting in an office. They deserve to be well paid.

Advertisement