Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely livid with my landlord

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seoda1 wrote: »

How would you reply to him?

I'd ask him for his account so I could do a transfer online.

How did you get the cash in hand in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dav010 wrote: »
    Do you think Plebian is saying there should be no landlords, there position is unjust? If he/she is, where would the hundreds of thousands of tenants live? Maybe he/she thinks you have to buy a property the day you leave your parents house, it’s a head scratcher.

Presume it's more like the State builds the house at taxpayers expense for you and then you get to live in it for free/SFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thank you Kenmm

The LL has about 5 houses ,.. but I didn’t say that and no one knew that.

All I was hoping was lee way with May if restrictions continue, that’s all. I said I would catch up with my expectations.

Be safe

Who cares if the landlord has 50 houses. Just because he’s rich dosent entitle you to a rent holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Banks are open & you are allowed to go to the bank. This is why they are open.

LL was very reasonable imo. This lock down might go on for months. Your children most likely won't see the inside of the classroom till September. I wonder if maybe you think that things will be back to normal in a few weeks where you're LL knows that things won't be for a long time. The quicker you contact social welfare the quicker you will get payments from them. LL gave you great advice for you & him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Lots of people have lost or severely reduced income. Why should LLs be different? If it's a Buy to Let and a mortgage on it, relief is available.

Hard to have sympathy with LLs who expect tenants to pay rent their mortgages and fund their nice fat property asset.. just saying.

Fixed your post. Tenants pay rent as agreed. Not really any of tenants business what the LL does with that income. He could be funding an asset, or he could be using it to feed blind orphans with HIV - either way it isn't the tenants place to dictate whether or not he "deserves" the rent based on how he utilises it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Stark wrote: »
    Presume it's more like the State builds the house at taxpayers expense for you and then you get to live in it for free/SFA.

Or you inherit 5 houses for SFA, and live off the proceeds. You also act like a maggot to those working to pay the rent.

Social housing is not free, neither is the lack of regulation/ rent control on prices ( it reduces them ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Plebian wrote: »
    Or you inherit 5 houses for SFA, and live off the proceeds. You also act like a maggot to those working to pay the rent.

Social housing is not free, neither is the lack of regulation/ rent control on prices ( it reduces them ).

Oh yeah they pay like 9% of the market value or something depending on their means :rolleyes:

Investing in a house and renting it out to tenants is a business arrangement. Why would tenants be entitled to live rent free in a landlord's asset? It's like saying "that fella who bought and runs the local shop has more money than me - he should give me free stuff". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lots of people have lost or severely reduced income. Why should LLs be different? If it's a Buy to Let and a mortgage on it, relief is available.
    If you take that to its logical conclusion, then everyone will lose their income.
    Hard to have sympathy with LLs who expect tenants to pay their mortgages and fund their nice fat property asset.. just saying.

"fat property asset"? Did they magic this asset out of thin air?
    Bitter much?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

seems there is alot of evidence pointing to an unwillingness as opposed lack of ability here Plebian, I imagine there would be a lot less vitriol if she hadnt posted about significant amounts of money coming into her account two months previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Your post suggest complete arrogance and freeloading.

Pay your fecking bills and stop talking crap. You have been shown up to be unreasonable and a chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Hard to have sympathy with LLs who expect tenants to pay their mortgages and fund their nice fat property asset.. just saying.

Agreed, we're in the middle of a pandemic / recession. People will remember the pharmacies overcharging, as they will the Landlords not dealing fairly with those they extract their rent from.

We should be aware that there are differing power relations between landlord and tenant in the majority of situations. Also a market in housing, well fails - in allocation, pricing, quality etc We've seen enough examples of that, and will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Agreed, we're in the middle of a pandemic / recession. People will remember the pharmacies overcharging, as they will the Landlords not dealing fairly with those they extract their rent from.

We should be aware that there are differing power relations between landlord and tenant in the majority of situations. Also a market in housing, well fails - in allocation, pricing, quality etc We've seen enough examples of that, and will again.

What landlords are not being fair? There has been no mention of a job loss or lack of income but the inability to get to the bank. If you rent from someone you are paying for something to be provided. If you want to continue living there you continue paying your rent. If there is a problem with your ability to pay you have the decency to contact the landlord and see what arrangements can be made. Then you call social welfare like is being advised and you get some state help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Regardless, landlordism is, at it's base, a morally unjust economic position. If anyone is evicted in the current climate, the community should respond in kind.

Does this opinion extend to state landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hey OP,

I think you are being unreasonable. I am unclear to what you thought your landlord was going to say back to you?

What would have been an acceptable response in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Not dealing fairly? Not clear what is unfair here to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A rant more than anything but I’m absolutely livid.

Yesterday I emailed my landlord of three years, always paid rent on time, good tenant blah blah blah

I said, I have your rent here which is payable next Monday but because of restrictions, I can’t get to the bank.

And re Mays rent, if these restrictions stay in place for the month of April, which I think it will, then I’m not going to have money for you.

I wanted to be fair to him and give him plenty of notice. I suggested a rent break and asked for his blessing during this pandemic and stressful times.

Now, this guy is tight, if he’s not from Cavan, he should be.

He swiftly emailed be back, no “I hope you are ok” in these times. He said if it’s ok he would call around today to collect rent and suggested that I contact the social welfare office for rent support.

This is where I am livid. We are in a crisis right now, there’s a pandemic going on. I am worried about my elderly parents and parents in law, aunts, uncles and my own family, keeping safe and encouraging my son who is in sixth year to keep studying for his leaving cert whenever that will be, if it’s to be. I’m NOT contacting the social welfare office.

I didn’t reply to his email, if he came to my door, I would have told him to go away and come back next week as it is not due then ... I’m fuming.

What was I expecting? I thought he might say .., pay what you can in May and we’ll catch up later on in the year ... or I’ve got a mortgage holiday so just pay me the interest or be a human being.

Genuinely, his email to me has stressed me out more than the whole of the last few weeks put together.

God I needed to rant

How would you reply to him?

See the bit I put in bold, that's your problem. As in your's, not your landlords.

So take some responsbility and grow the fúck up. People are dying because of this situation, healthcare workers are putting themselves in danger to look after the sick, working their arses off.

And then you come along, spouting off like an entitled scrote.

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Mod Note

Please read the forum charter before posting in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Keyzer wrote: »
    See the bit I put in bold, that's your problem. As in your's, not your landlords.

So take some responsbility and grow the fúck up. People are dying because of this situation, healthcare workers are putting themselves in danger to look after the sick, working their arses off.

And then you come along, spouting off like an entitled scrote.

Get a grip.

Have you considered applying to join the Diplomatic Corp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Thank you Kenmm

All I was hoping was lee way with May if restrictions continue, that’s all. I said I would catch up with my expectations.

Be safe

But OP, as you have mentioned you have parents, further family and friends. Why do you think your landlord should be your first call, support and help you before all these people and proper institutions?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thank you Kenmm

Be safe

Do you need some lee way? Welfare would be the obvious option which I infer from your OP you were offended he suggested it. Perhaps it's not an option, taking what others have mentioned about previous posts regarding inheritance.

What's stopping you going to the bank? They're still open. I get wanting to limit your time out and about, but i'm not aware of any restriction stopping you from going to the bank. Why would they be open if there were?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

The landlord has expenses too and has been very reasonable.
    Pay your rent and get social welfare if you're entitled to it.
    Why would you not pay May and only then have extra to pay in the following months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Op is supported by his parents. They have used up their allowance which is currently 320k as an adult plus 50k this year.
    They decided that because some peoe have been reduced to 350 a week that they should pay no rent. They can't go to the social because they don't work and have loads in the bank .
    I pity their landlord but I blame the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Because of restrictions, you can't go to the bank but yet you must have visited some ATM if you have rent money at home.
    What's the difference?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Biggest roasting I’ve seen since the epic Alison oriordain thread :D

Ooohhhh any link??

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Op is supported by his parents. They have used up their allowance which is currently 320k as an adult plus 50k this year.

If someone had been given so much money, surely they wouldn't need to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

The o/p says he won't be able to pay next month. He is also saying he won't claim social welfare.

Funny, from reading the OP's post I just assumed it was a woman.

While some of the responses have been over the top, they are almost unanimous. Hopefully the OP will not dismiss them and take a long look in the mirror, I'm not sure what the LL did wrong.

OP talks about their worries in the current climate and how the LL should have more empathy but then displays zero empathy toward the LL. Ironic.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If someone had been given so much money, surely they wouldn't need to rent?

Seems they don't like spending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Bank transfer is the easiest or if you are really paranoid about social distancing ask the landlord to ring you when he is outside at an agreed date and time and pass the money out through the window and get a receipt.

The sense of entitlement in this country is what has it in the crapper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Dav010 wrote: »
    Maybe he/she thinks you have to buy a property the day you leave your parents house, it’s a head scratcher.
    Well, that is how it happened for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Thank you Kenmm

Be safe

Don't matter if has 5 houses or 555 to be honest. You pay your rent or get help paying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement