Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF with Paypal

Options
  • 02-04-2020 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Just noticed 2 charges by paypal on my business credit card, both have the same 'name' after the paypal bit ie paypal *123acme; I don't recognise those payments; tried to contact paypal for more info - they've closed their phone lines so can only contact them with a message or email - you need to have an account to log in to do either - I don't have an account; how's a person meant to get this resolved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Contact your credit card company and ask them to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Call your credit card company, tell them you don't recognise those transactions, and explain that you don't have a paypal account. They may block your card and send you a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Best number to ring is your banks card security team to inform them you notice some unauthorized transactions. They will be able to sort it for you.

On what the charges might be, if you don't have a paypal you can still use your card to pay for stuff without an account with paypal. Did you buy anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Firblog

Best number to ring is your banks card security team to inform them you notice some unauthorized transactions. They will be able to sort it for you.

On what the charges might be, if you don't have a paypal you can still use your card to pay for stuff without an account with paypal. Did you buy anything recently?

I buy a load of stuff with that card, they are most probably legit but I have no email with any reference to the 'name' that was provided so no invoice etc for reconciling my books. Have checked with ebay - where vast majority of my paypal purchases are from - and there are no purchases on those dates.

How can they shut down phone lines and only allow contact to ppl with accounts when loads of people pay via paypal without having an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Firblog wrote: »

How can they shut down phone lines and only allow contact to ppl with accounts when loads of people pay via paypal without having an account?

Even if the phone lines were open, you might run into the "not having an account" issue. I closed an account with a telecoms company, and they owed me money, but I couldn't even call them, as the account number "didn't exist". It was a right PITA.

Call your bank, let them deal with it.

There's also the possibility that the transactions are just showing under a funny name. I've had a few instances where I've ordered things from ABC company, but the transaction shows up as Acme in the statements. There can be a few reasons for this - e.g. "Acme Trading As ABC". Sometimes they'll let you know on your confirmation mail, but often they don't.

If that's the situation it might be worth searching your email for the amount that was taken, particularly if it's an odd amount like €27.78. The flaw with that is if the original transaction was for $29.99 then it would be hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Acme.
    isnt Wile E. Coyote a huge customer of there's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

This would be nothing to do with Paypal OP.
    What tends to happen here is scammers have your credit card details and put a charge thru disguised as Paypal hoping that you are a regular paypal users and dont notice for a while.
    Your Credit card provider should be able to sort it for you quick sharp.

Advertisement