Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is buying a Samsung S10 on adverts safe?

• 02-04-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Looking at phones on advert, specifically interested in a Samsung S10. There are several different sellers that all claim:

Condition: New
    please check my feedback for peace of mind
    Brand new sealed Samsung Galaxy s10
    Factory unlocked
    Dual Sim
    Simfree to all networks.
    prism black colour and prism white colour
    128gb storage and 8Gb Ram
    2 year of manufacturer warranty
    Samsung Galaxy S10 Dual Sim New Sealed Unlocked
    no offers no trade in

The phones are a good 200 Euros cheaper than in the various phone shops and up to 350 Euros cheaper if bought sim free from retailers such as pc world. The feedback is generally good for all these and there is lots of feedback.

Am just wondering is this too good to be true - does anyone have any experiences and knows why these phones are so much cheaper than if bought through a normal shop.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Depends on the seller. Some sellers with lots of positive feedback will be ok but I wont trust someone with zero or negative feedbacks. These are expensive phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

How come they can sell so much cheaper though? 200-300 Euros is quite a lot cheaper and makes me a bit suspicious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

cltt97 wrote: »
    How come they can sell so much cheaper though? 200-300 Euros is quite a lot cheaper and makes me a bit suspicious...
    Some people get an upgrade as part of their mobile bill pay contract and some opt to sell the phone as the one they have, they consider good enough for another two years, handy way of recouping some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I've bought 4 phones from adverts no issue ever plenty of communication. As someone said, check feedback. Only people with positive feedback and a few of them would I entertain. Check the negative also, and see why they have gotten, if it's for selling and not showing up or wasting peoples time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

august12 wrote: »
    Some people get an upgrade as part of their mobile bill pay contract and some opt to sell the phone as the one they have, they consider good enough for another two years, handy way of recouping some money.

ye? Would you be better on sim only of PAYG after the contract period?

I guess its effectively getting a 2-300 quid load at payday load rates (but over 2 years..)

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »
    ye? Would you be better on sim only of PAYG after the contract period?

I guess its effectively getting a 2-300 quid load at payday load rates (but over 2 years..)
    I've never had a bill pay, always bought an unloked phone, my current phone cost 160 euro, mi A1 with 10 euro pm Gomo sim, happy out, will be buying another mi when the need arises, Samsung is a beautiful phone but no phone is worth that money.

I don't think these are upgrades - the kind of sellers I mean have lots and lots of phones, different brands, all brand new... and I'm wondering where are they getting these phones from and how can they afford to sell so much cheaper - not sure am I allowed to link to a couple of these adverts?

I don't think these are upgrades - the kind of sellers I mean have lots and lots of phones, different brands, all brand new... and I'm wondering where are they getting these phones from and how can they afford to sell so much cheaper - not sure am I allowed to link to a couple of these adverts?
    Sorry, just noticed that after posting, I'm not sure where they source from, would only buy if they have good feedback and PayPal option, have a look at this phone.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-9t-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-redmi-k20-carbon-black-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Bought the mi 8 last year.

Had a Mi 4 note before.

Cracking phones for the cost

Available on amazon and most foreign sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I've bought a couple of i phones over the last 2 years and as recent as Christmas off lads with similar sounding ads. Phones are still running perfectly (apart from the damage inflicted by my careless daughter!)
    Not sure how they do it but great savings and no issues

Always called out to view and paid cash

• Advertisement

Is there any chance these phones are not the real thing, or are these people just able to source them cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

There's a big market in "fraud" where people sign up to long contracts for new phones and manage to get themselves out of them.

Lots of the provider companies are working hard to establish who high risk customer might be.

Also remember, in current climate, people may be stuck for cash and willing to sell on phones for money

boosabum wrote: »
    There's a big market in "fraud" where people sign up to long contracts for new phones and manage to get themselves out of them.

Would these phones not get locked/blocked by the providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

cltt97 wrote:
    Condition: New please check my feedback for peace of mind Brand new sealed Samsung Galaxy s10 Factory unlocked Dual Sim Simfree to all networks. prism black colour and prism white colour 128gb storage and 8Gb Ram 2 year of manufacturer warranty Samsung Galaxy S10 Dual Sim New Sealed Unlocked no offers no trade in

Many of these sellers actually have phone shops. Several have Dublin City shops. I've seen Cork and Limerick shops. More advertise on Donedeal. The ones that are shops are still a little dodgy in that they won't give a VAT receipt so there is Tax dodging going on but they will give you a receipt for the Two years warranty with Samsung

cltt97 wrote:

No VAT charged. VAT is 23 percent

august12 wrote:
    Sorry, just noticed that after posting, I'm not sure where they source from, would only buy if they have good feedback and PayPal option, have a look at this phone.

Eglobal comes from China. No VAT invoice with there either. Phone won't be a European model & a lot of boards posters have had bad experience with these

Ok, so the only one losing out through such transactions is REVENUE?
    I am only worried about getting a legit phone and that what I believe is in the box, actually is in the box...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

Would these phones not get locked/blocked by the providers?

Have bought 3 phones from adverts from the same buyer. Samsung galaxy s9+ and two Huawei P30 pros. The Samsung and one of the Huaweis are working fine still with no problems but one of the huaweis got blocked! I brought it to one of those Chinese stores and the guy was able to confirm the IMEI was blacklisted.. I contacted the seller and told him but he said his phones never get blocked and I didn't pursue it any further..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Looking at phones on advert, specifically interested in a Samsung S10. There are several different sellers that all claim:

Factory unlocked
    Dual Sim
    Simfree to all networks.
    no offers no trade in

The phones are a good 200 Euros cheaper than in the various phone shops and up to 350 Euros cheaper if bought sim free from retailers such as pc world. The feedback is generally good for all these and there is lots of feedback.

Am just wondering is this too good to be true - does anyone have any experiences and knows why these phones are so much cheaper than if bought through a normal shop.

Bought a new mi note 10 from adverts+ others no sweat,I got the guys home and work address and his feed back was v good , + as long as his feedback is older than 12 months and positive I wouldn't worry,I was lucky bro works in Dublin 2 day's a week ,so called to the guys workplace, checked all was ok etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Factory unlocked
    Dual Sim
    Simfree to all networks.
    no offers no trade in

Is that the one with the snapdragon chip ? There seems to be 2 versions . One for Europe , another for America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    . two Huawei P30 pros. The Samsung and one of the Huaweis are working fine still with no problems but one of the huaweis got blocked! I... I didn't pursue it any further..

Does that not leave you massively out of pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

Best thing to do is to ask the seller to meet outside a phone shop, bring it inside,get it checked and then pay for it.

Advertisement