Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4

• 02-04-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First time in this forum and sorry if there is a recent thread on this phone but I couldn't find one. (probably because the phone is soooo old :))

I'm just looking for a cheap smart phone for a few months and was looking at a cheap iPhone 4 from Viberstore

https://viberstore.ie/apple-iphones/iphone-4-4s/used-apple-iphone-4-8gb-unlocked-was-%E2%82%AC24.99-now-%E2%82%AC14.99

I understand that it would not be compatible with newer facebook apps etc, but I never use snapchat/ facebook/ whats ap etc. All I'm looking for is phone/ text and check emails. perhaps google searching (can you tell I'm someone that learned to type on a manual typewriter :))

The reason I'm looking at the 4 is because I used to have one and still have the cables/ chargers/ covers and phone itself (battery damage) etc.

Are there any other limitations to using such an older model phone? Or anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stretch for something newer if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

It would seem to fit your needs so you can't really go wrong for that price.

The major downside aside from lack of available apps is that it might be frustratingly slow, especially when browsing the internet on it. Many modern websites assume a certain amount of power when developing which has increased overtime and that phone likely won't be up to it in many cases. Plus the browser will be an older version that is no longer supported by many websites. They will probably still load but you will run into random bugs.
    If you don't care about that or think it will be a frustration you can live with then go for it. It's so cheap that even if you do find it unbearable you haven't lost much.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention is batteries degrade over time so it will likely run out of juice quite quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

When my wife's Nokia gave up, I set up my old 4S for her; just phone/text/camera. She loved it.

Advertisement