Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Video & Photo Editing Desktop

Options
  • 02-04-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on potential options for a new build. Please let me know if you need any more information.

1. What is your budget? €900 for now. Willing to put some more into it over the coming months for increased SSD space and other non-essentials.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Photo & video editing using Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro. Very light gaming but editing is the priority.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have some external HDD's that I use but nothing apart from them.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? I have a 27 inch 1080p monitor at present that only has VGA input (disaster) so hoping to upgrade that down the line also. I can use a VGA to HDMI adapter for now.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Will need a WiFi card and SD card reader.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card.

9. When are you purchasing? In the next 30 days.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Going to give it a lash myself.

I do a fair bit of editing as a hobby but looking to get some work out of it in the future and I'm finding my 6 year old Lenovo Y410P laptop is breaking my heart lately trying to edit timelapses and 4K footage. I've been away from the PC world for a few years so really have no clue what's the best bang for buck these days. As a starting point my brother built a gaming PC last year so I have had a first cut at a build using his as a foundation but changing some items.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/GavinSheehan/saved/gPdGqs

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There seems to be a weird dearth of some parts right now - better value in pre-builts.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/060402011103/
    Customised Delta Pro PC
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Graphics GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
    Storage 512GB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    Wi-Fi 1,300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi
    £798.99 (without Win10)

Get a cheap Windows key online or activate later - you'll still be able to run all your programs without issue.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There seems to be a weird dearth of some parts right now - better value in pre-builts.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gaming-pc/060402011103/
    Customised Delta Pro PC
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Wi-Fi 1,300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi
    £798.99 (without Win10)

Get a cheap Windows key online or activate later - you'll still be able to run all your programs without issue.

Thanks very much. I was hoping to try and fit in 32GB of RAM into my budget and read elsewhere that an 8 core CPU might be worth the extra cost with the amount of rendering and editing I plan to do. I've put together another barebones build but not sure if I'm missing anything. Looks like everything but the case is in stock.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YCk6Pn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 3600 is equal/better to the 2700X - the improvement in IPC is just massive.

AFAIK for editing workflows, Nvidia GPUs also trounce AMD GPUs; plus CCL build has a 6Gb VRAM card.

Also playing around with their configurator a bit, I found these configs:

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gt-gaming-pc/0201020111/
    Customised Delta Pro
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
    RAM 32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    £800.99
    or £900.99 with Windows 10

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gt-gaming-pc/0205020111/
    Customised Delta Pro
    RAM 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
    £840.99
    or £940.99 with Windows 10

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The 3600 is equal/better to the 2700X - the improvement in IPC is just massive.

AFAIK for editing workflows, Nvidia GPUs also trounce AMD GPUs; plus CCL build has a 6Gb VRAM card.

Also playing around with their configurator a bit, I found these configs:

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gt-gaming-pc/0201020111/
    Customised Delta Pro
    RAM 32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    £800.99
    or £900.99 with Windows 10

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta-pro/ccl-delta-pro-gt-gaming-pc/0205020111/
    Customised Delta Pro
    RAM 32GB DDR4 3200MHz
    £840.99
    or £940.99 with Windows 10

Thanks for that. I've done a bit more research and tried to get the cost down a bit by going for slightly lower RAM and a slightly slower video card. I'm ready to buy and don't think there are any major things I've missed. I'm going to buy some additional storage in a few weeks but just want to buy enough to get me going for now.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8mZyZf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think an Nvidia graphics card would be much better for your uses. You should really go for the GTX1660 or at least a 1650 Super.

Homelander wrote: »
    I think an Nvidia graphics card would be much better for your uses. You should really go for the GTX1660 or at least a 1650 Super.

Thanks. Yeah it looks like the Nvidia would be better for use with Adobe but I'm struggling to find them for the same price or cheaper than the RTX.

You won't find them cheaper but Amazon have the Palit GTX1650 Super for £163 and it would be a lot better for the sake of £30.

In terms of workload stuff that is, since you said that's a priority.

Games wise it would be only marginally better than the RX570 but then again it only has 4GB vram versus the 8GB of the RX570, will be the difference between medium and high/ultra textures in newer games, all other settings equal on both cards.

Classic mistake people make is blaming their card for bad performance when it's actually textures are crippling performance. With the GTX1650 Super you would have to stick to medium textures on newer games, everything else at high/ultra.

Even the normal non-super GTX1650 will be better than the RX570 for your uses and it's a similar price.....though it doesn't seem to be in stock many places.

You won't find them cheaper but Amazon have the Palit GTX1650 Super for £163 and it would be a lot better for the sake of £30.

In terms of workload stuff that is, since you said that's a priority.

Games wise it would be only marginally better than the RX570 but then again it only has 4GB vram versus the 8GB of the RX570, will be the difference between medium and high/ultra textures in newer games, all other settings equal on both cards.

Classic mistake people make is blaming their card for bad performance when it's actually textures are crippling performance. With the GTX1650 Super you would have to stick to medium textures on newer games, everything else at high/ultra.

Even the normal non-super GTX1650 will be better than the RX570 for your uses and it's a similar price.....though it doesn't seem to be in stock many places.

Thanks for the information. So you're saying that even though the RX570 has 2x the VRAM of the GTX1660, it still should perform better with rendering tasks because of the Adobe optimisation and CUDA?

Chavways wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. So you're saying that even though the RX570 has 2x the VRAM of the GTX1660, it still should perform better with rendering tasks because of the Adobe optimisation and CUDA?

Yes, but it was the gtx1650 super I was talking about, which can be gotten for £163.

The Gtx1660 is a 6gb card and it is significantly more powerful than the rx570. Think costing around £190.

There's also a 1660 super which is about £215 that's even faster again.

• Advertisement

Yes, but it was the gtx1650 super I was talking about, which can be gotten for £163.

The Gtx1660 is a 6gb card and it is significantly more powerful than the rx570. Think costing around £190.

There's also a 1660 super which is about £215 that's even faster again.

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'm going to go forward with the below GPU as I'm getting a few other things from SCAN also.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/palit-geforce-gtx-1650-super-stormx-oc-4gb-gddr6-vr-ready-graphics-card-1280-core-1530mhz-gpu-1770mh

I see there are loads of different models of GTX 1650 Super 4GB on the website that all have the same base specs but vary in price by around 70 pounds from lowest to highest due to different memory buses and fan configurations. I assume a mid-range one is a safe bet?

Advertisement