Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waived right to lump sum pension..

• 02-04-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

A little info please..
    It appears I waived my right to take a lump sum of my retirement pension some years ago.
    I am now at pension age and should be receiving pension soon. It will only be about e120 per week..
    My question :
    Is the waiver strictly adhered to or could I request a lump sum now.
    Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

me4many wrote: »
    A little info please..
    It appears I waived my right to take a lump sum of my retirement pension some years ago.
    I am now at pension age and should be receiving pension soon. It will only be about e120 per week..
    My question :
    Thanks...

Why would you have done that? Was it to increase a redundancy payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why would you have done that? Was it to increase a redundancy payment?

It was probably done to increase the tax exemption of a 'golden handshake' the OP got when leaving a previous job.

If an employee is departing a job and gets more than statutory redundancy then when calculating any tax liability on the discretionary amount (the excess over statutory), an employee can elect for the 'increased exemption' of up to an additional €10,000 (of the lump sum) tax free if they commit to not taking a lump sum from their pension....

Your employee might have agreed with their pension provider that they will never receive a lump sum payment. They must inform you of this agreement in order to receive the increased exemption.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/what-pay-includes/lump-sum-payments.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

me4many wrote: »
    A little info please..
    My question :
    Thanks...

The waivers are strictly adhered to, but there can be ways round them. You need to get a good financial advisor.

Advertisement