Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protecting the elderly - hasn't really worked all that well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Why did I get a warning for giving the same insult to one person as that person gave to one billion people. I get that I got a warning, that is fine, but that person should get a billion warnings for being a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They have the same age profile of confirmed cases as we do. That was the point made in the op no?

I think it was (paraphrasing) ' we should not say its an Irish thing that protecting the old has not worked as Germany also has the same age profile of confirmed elderly patients'.

So either their better death rate is not due having a different age profile within the infected. And if it is ..well them Germany has done a better job of protecting the old.

The statistics of age profile of cases shows the age profile is different. Stastista has German figures at 62% in 15-59. Higher than 70% in Ireland

Iago wrote: »
    bear in mind that Germany has a lower death rate because of how they are reporting deaths. A big issue globally is that everybody is reporting differently.

If I understand correctly Germany are applying a system along the lines of 'if the person would have died of x in the next 12-24 months anyway, that's what we report the death as not covid'

Similarly if you look at the spikes in deaths in various countries from say pneumonia, for example, you will see that nobody is reporting full numbers.

That's crazy! They are hedging the numbers, that's why the WHO says the death rate is only 4% for this thing, because so many countries are lying.

Anyway I wanted to post this in the thread earlier but I got distracted by the racisim:

In some areas at least, this is not an illness of the elderly as we've been told

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Alot of nursing home staff seemed to total wans that did the minimum course.Similar to creche staff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

bigpink wrote: »
    Alot of nursing home staff seemed to total wans that did the minimum course.Similar to creche staff

Very unfair on some incredible staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

bigpink wrote: »

Home staff do not have adequate ppe to carry out their work safely, it's a simple as that. It's a job were distancing is impossible to prevent infection transfer without a gown and mask, and the HSE were saying this was not required. It's the reason I cancelled my home help before the total lock down was announced. Please don't come on here slating care assistants. The vast majority of them do a fantastic job for very little thanks that most people would not dream of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Very unfair on some incredible staff.
    im sorry to say its not.

Some are incredible ..some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

lalababa wrote: »
    The cheapest private nursing home near me is 950 euro a week. The public one is 1500 a week. They are both run well and have caring staff.
    How it costs a grand a week to care for somebody when a home carer might do it for 200 carers allowance beats me. But there you go.

Valid point, on the face of it. But in a nursing home there's generally a ratio of 2 staff to 1 resident. This includes kitchen, maintenance, security and office staff in addition to the nurses/carers. You need this to provide 24 hour care. On top of that there's light/heat/food/insurance etc etc etc. So your €950 works out at an average of €475 per week per staff member. No wonder the carers only get €10.50 an hour.

im sorry to say its not.

In fairness, this is probably true. You talk to any of the incredible staff and they can usually tell you they have coworkers who are literally psychopaths :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In fairness, this is probably true. You talk to any of the incredible staff and they can usually tell you they have coworkers who are literally psychopaths :(

I have relatives who were not treated with dignity in some places. Also friends have said the same.

I think its a minority though.

• Advertisement

Yes, thank god. The heartless minority are everywhere and we will overcome them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Ye could say that about any industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Saw this in another thread, posters wife is obviously a home help. Unfortunately can't say I'm surprised at what's been done to her or the other workers and clients.
    Heighway61 wrote: »
    One of my wife's clients has tested positive. My wife has been told she won't be tested unless she is showing symptoms and to keep working. Same for home helps who have had contact with this person.

They don't know what they are doing. We're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

new measures announced:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0404/1128463-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/
    Nursing home staff are to have their temperatures checked twice a day, as part of new measures to tackle the coronavirus in these settings.

The measures were announced by Minister for Health Simon Harris today.

National and regional Covid-19 infection prevention and control teams are being set up, and advisers will liaise with each nursing home and homecare providers on this.

Minister Harris said that equal supply of personal protection equipment (PPE) and access to oxygen will be provided to nursing homes and homecare providers.

peasant wrote: »

Horse.Door.Bolted.

I wonder will I get an apology from the regional director of HSE.Home Helps who told me that this would all be over in a fortnight (3 weeks ago) if we all just washed our hands and to take this opportunity to educate my father abouti hygeine.
    I'm never letting them inside the door again in light of how they're run.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Horse.Door.Bolted.

I wonder will I get an apology from the regional director of HSE.Home Helps who told me that this would all be over in a fortnight (3 weeks ago) if we all just washed our hands and to take this opportunity to educate my father abouti hygeine.

Dramatic

Horse.Door.Bolted.

Says more about your father than the home helps.
    They, in my opinion, are the unsung heroes of the health service.

Says more about your father than the home helps.
    They, in my opinion, are the unsung heroes of the health service.

I agree the home helps are the unsung hero8es. I was not criticising them in any way! My criticism was for the jobsworths who run the service. Would you care to elaborate what you think my post says about an 88 year old with dementia? I'd be very interested to hear that.

Your post says a great deal about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Horse.Door.Bolted.

Why do you feel you need an apology, we were all told 2 weeks, do you think the person you were dealing with had any more info than you, i really doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Direct Provision centers are going to be the next "hot spot" surely. The only advantage they have over nursing homes is a younger age cohort and less communal space.

https://twitter.com/wlrfm/status/1246741669841719297

Time to requisition those empty AirBnB's and start moving family units out to safer accommodation.

• Advertisement

Why do you feel you need an apology, we were all told 2 weeks, do you think the person you were dealing with had any more info than you, i really doubt it

We were never told Ireland would be corona free in two weeks.

The Direct Provision centers are going to be the next "hot spot" surely. The only advantage they have over nursing homes is a younger age cohort and less communal space.

https://twitter.com/wlrfm/status/1246741669841719297

Time to requisition those empty AirBnB's and start moving family units out to safer accommodation.

That’s already being done. Well, not exactly requisitioned, but being used for vulnerable people. https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-beds-coronavirus-eoghan-murphy-5061331-Mar2020/

We were never told Ireland would be corona free in two weeks.

Thats not what i meant

Thats not what i meant

It's what she said.

It's what she said.

Maybe you picked her up wrong as we were all told the lock down would be for 2 weeks with schools off etc. Maybe ring her back if you feel strongly enough that you deserve an apology

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We were told the intial lockdown would be 2 weeks and then reviewed.

Tbh, anyone with a brain in their head could see it would be a lot longer. The incubation period is 2 weeks for a starter.
    But if the public had been told "it'll be 6 weeks minimum, maybe 3-4 months depending" they would have freaked and not complied because the bodies hadnt started hitting the floor.

Look at the UK. 2 weeks ago they were all "lager lager, lets all go to the pub!!". Now there, 5-700 dead a day and no one is shouting to go to Cheltanham.

A person is smart. People... people are stupid.

The Journal are reporting today that there are now 99 clusters in nursing homes, but nobody else is reporting this. The table they use showing the breakdown was based on the figure of 57. Is this just their usual shoddy journalism? If it's true it's a massive increase and it would mean almost a quarter of nursing home have cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The Journal are reporting today that there are now 99 clusters in nursing homes, but nobody else is reporting this. The table they use showing the breakdown was based on the figure of 57. Is this just their usual shoddy journalism? If it's true it's a massive increase and it would mean almost a quarter of nursing home have cases.

Bear in mind results are taking 7-9 days. So that's actually 99 clusters present a week ago. Today's number is likely a lot higher.
    Nursing homes were left as sitting ducks. No recommendation from the HSE to restrict visiting, no access to PPE, no measures put in place to protect staff from becoming asymptomatic transmitters. 4 weeks too late they throw some money at us, too little too late. Money wont save older people from dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Bear in mind results are taking 7-9 days. So that's actually 99 clusters present a week ago. Today's number is likely a lot higher.
    Nursing homes were left as sitting ducks. No recommendation from the HSE to restrict visiting, no access to PPE, no measures put in place to protect staff from becoming asymptomatic transmitters. 4 weeks too late they throw some money at us, too little too late. Money wont save older people from dying.

Not to mention that in a few weeks the media and HSE will push us under the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Not to mention that in a few weeks the media and HSE will push us under the bus.

Well Minister Harris great plan to safeguard Nursing Homes must of put your worries to bed ......

I fear you have hit the nail on head, if the general hospitals are stretched to their limit they are not going to be in a position to divert resources to Nursing Homes

Have they appointed a HSE liaison for you yet? If yes have they made contact?

Has any PPE been provided yet? If yes is the quantity provided sufficient ? Who do you contact to replenish supplies?

Advertisement