Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What people today are getting infected for the numbers in 2 weeks?

Options
  • 02-04-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭

Now that we have broad awareness of distancing and hand washing.

Asked in the main thread, and general ideas were households mingling, workers still in large groups by necessity, healthworkers.

I wonder how many supermarket staff have got it - that would tell us a lot about the potential to get it 'in the air'.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Asked in the main thread, and general ideas were households mingling, workers still in large groups by necessity, healthworkers.

I wonder how many supermarket staff have got it - that would tell us a lot about the potential to get it 'in the air'.

I've seen the same workers in the shop so far. They all seem to be doing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

If anyone other than healthcare workers, other frontliners and their immediate families get infected, it’s their own damn fault. Stay at home and you won’t get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The disturbing possibility is that the kind of glancing contacts even people who are social distancing conscientiously still require with PIN machines, delivery packages etc. is contributing significantly to spread. If that's the case then we are all doomed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The disturbing possibility is that the kind of glancing contacts even people who are social distancing conscientiously still require with PIN machines, delivery packages etc. is contributing significantly to spread. If that's the case then we are all doomed...

Yes, people need to be paranoid with any push buttons etc. Even delivery packages should be opened, disposed of and then wash hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If that is the case, then surely it is far more widespread than we currently think, suggesting that an even smaller percentage of people develop any sort of symptoms and we are well on the way to herd immunity. Basically, things are better than we think.

• Advertisement

I guess large families with some still having to go to work as essential workers carries its own risks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    If that is the case, then surely it is far more widespread than we currently think, suggesting that an even smaller percentage of people develop any sort of symptoms and we are well on the way to herd immunity. Basically, things are better than we think.

True herd immunity would either take years or overwhelm the health service to a point of tens of thousands of deaths. It's an idea worth forgetting.

I was watching New York Police Chief on the news saying they had taken down basketball hoops around the city to discourage kids playing together. Meanwhile there are dozens of kids outside in my eyeline playing together.

What is wrong with people?

With the exception of frontline staff and those with critical jobs, i think the virus is natural selection in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yes, people need to be paranoid with any push buttons etc. Even delivery packages should be opened, disposed of and then wash hands.

I leave post outside for at least 24 hours

Have there been any reports in terms of supermarket workers faring any worse as a result of being there all day? It struck me that this would be a fairly good way of assessing the likelihood of getting it just walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

In Spar Fairview yesterday. There were a group of 3 people in there stinking of drink. Everyone else was adhering to the rules but these 3 were bundled together, brushing of people as they stumbled by the queue, pulling stuff off the shelves and putting it back as they queued and generally not playing by current social rules.

Those type of people could well have spread it to those of us who were adhering. I only popped out to grab some necessary groceries but ran into these 3 clowns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As we don't have anything like the entire population infected I think we can write off transmission by those means as being anything significant. Possible, but can't be actually happening or everyone would already have it, other than people who've been isolated for the last 2 months and not needed any fresh supplies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

robinph wrote: »
    As we don't have anything like the entire population infected I think we can write off transmission by those means as being anything significant. Possible, but can't be actually happening or everyone would already have it, other than people who've been isolated for the last 2 months and not needed any fresh supplies in.

We've no idea who is infected until we test people though. Most will show no symptoms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ballso wrote: »
    We've no idea who is infected until we test people though. Most will show no symptoms.

Most people who are tested, who presumably showed at least some symptoms, have also tested negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

robinph wrote: »
    Most people who are tested, who presumably showed at least some symptoms, have also tested negative.

Yes when just one symptom was required to be tested, only 5% were coming out positive. So logically the proportion should be even lower for the population at large. Likely spread a bit since then but hopefully not massively...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Most people sick in 2 weeks will have caught it at the supermarket or shop, or from the things they brought home from the shop, or, of course, be working right now.

Even 2 weeks after Italy's lockdown got really strict (March 13) there were still lots of new cases, so they must have been getting it in the shop, but it was all over the community by the time they finally locked down, hopefully that isn't the case for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I think the current numbers are skewed due to the fact results are taking two weeks. We haven’t seen the numbers for the tests when the restrictions were in place and probably won’t do for another week or so.. methinks

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

The last time I had the regular flu I could just about make it as far as the loo and the kitchen in my very small apartment, nevermind going over to Croke Park to get tested.

There's also the inferiority complex element. There's a lot of people who know they are sick but wouldn't consider it to be the virus.

Personally I suspect the numbers don't fully reflect the true numbers.

Yes but that's true of every country. Even if the number is just a certain percentage of the real number, we can see that number doubling every 5 days here, or every 3 days in the UK and US due to the lack of measures. So the number which is doubling every 5 days (right?) is a symbol for the real, unknown number, which is also most likely doubling every 5 days.

We know the testing is somewhat accurate because of the facts the graphs look almost identical in every country with similar policies

The US, the UK and Italy carved identical lines across the charts until Italy managed to flatten the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I am still seeing teenagers going around together where I live. They go back to their families and hey presto.

• Advertisement

I forgot the post office, thousands of people are still being told to pick up their pandemic payment face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

People can also get infected in their own homes if sharing with a positive case.
    This is why scientists recommend using masks and gloves if sharing a home with a positive case.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

I forgot the post office, thousands of people are still being told to pick up their pandemic payment face to face

And my local post office is teeny. The owner has a large bottle of sanitiser behind the counter nothing at all out the front. She refuses to keep the door ajar as it’s too cold. So you have no choice but to manhandle the heavy door to get out. I haven’t needed the post office since but if I do it will be the one in the next town.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its still out in the community. So there are people with it. Some of these people have teenage kids who will get it. Teens group in groups of 5,10, 15 whatever.

A bunch of them catch it from the first one. Spread it to their families, siblings etc. Rinse Repeat.

Individual interactions are bad. Groups are way way worse.

Advertisement