Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Fence

Options
  • 02-04-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

This question has probably been asked a few times... but I was wondering if anyone could advise what the etiquette is when it comes to replacing panels on garden fencing between houses?

Who is responsible for replacing/bearing the cost? Is it best practice to go halves with the neighbour when replacing panels?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

How many panels, they're less than 20 quid each.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sparks15

emeldc wrote: »
    How many panels, they're less than 20 quid each.

7 panels...the neighbour has already purchased and ready to put in. I have no issues contributing as the fence divides our gardens, just wondering what the norm is as I'm new to house ownership and all the associated obligations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Sparks15 wrote: »
    7 panels...the neighbour has already purchased and ready to put in. I have no issues contributing as the fence divides our gardens, just wondering what the norm is as I'm new to house ownership and all the associated obligations :D

Do you not want to pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sparks15

20/20 wrote: »
    Do you not want to pay ?

I do want to, I just wanted to check what the norm was before doing anything out of kilter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Offering to pay your neighbour half won't be out of kilter with anything. Just pay the man. It will make for a good start to your relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

emeldc wrote: »
    Offering to pay your neighbour half won't be out of kilter with anything. Just pay the man. It will make for a good start to your relationship.

I would agree. If the neighbour is doing the work himself you may even end up getting a big saving compared to paying for contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sparks15 wrote: »
    This question has probably been asked a few times... but I was wondering if anyone could advise what the etiquette is when it comes to replacing panels on garden fencing between houses?

Who is responsible for replacing/bearing the cost? Is it best practice to go halves with the neighbour when replacing panels?

TIA.

Usually you own and are responsible for one side of the garden. Eg the Left side. It depends on the deeds to your house.

There is no need to pay anything if your neighbor is replacing their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can get your own back by not painting your side. That'll show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

In mine I just paid half when they needed replacing. Neighbour paid the other half.
    Worked out OK as he had a mate with a van so we didn't have to pay delivery fees.

Advertisement