Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restarting CI races, club events etc - when? And are you training?

Options
  • 02-04-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Very difficult to plan a season now, whether you'd planned to race, do sportives or whatever. Not the most important thing in the world for sure, but it's a valid question about what kind of normality we'll return to and when.

Officially CI say: "Cycling Ireland wishes to advise members of the cycling community that the postponement of all Cycling Ireland approved events and activities is to be extended up to and including April 19th."

Obviously that's extremely unlikely to be the end of it.

Pure speculation, but I can't see sporting events re-starting by the end June. Will the bike racing season just be cancelled perhaps?

For the serious riders out there: what have people done training-wise? Gone back to a level of base training until you know what timeframe to aim for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I’m continuing with my training program and using Zwift races to keep the competitive juices sated. nobody knows what the future holds but If you’ve worked hard over the winter it’s easy to de train now. I feel the season is in jeopardy, personally think we’re months away from a start if at all. am not hopeful. If nothing else Zwift is helping with my time trialling 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Continuing to train in the vain hope we get a race in July. Its unlikely but if I drop off training I'll pile weight on for sure.

If we get back solo spins I'll tip away with weekend solos & try a few Strava segments though locally they are savage tough. I've been looking at Zwift but need a decent cash outlay that I'm not prepared to do at this time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not a hope of races before July, and thats with a lot of things go incredibly well. but in reality, social distancing etc. will be in place for a few months after the lockdown is lifted a bit, if we were having TTs in September it would be the best case scenraio IMO. I am going for Zwift races etc but if your targetting real world races, I imagine CX will be a more realistic target and even then. I am an optimist by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

IMO Commuter Races are the best you can hope for this year! After this lockdown I suspect the first relaxation will be allowing people to go back to work. Pubs, restaurants, clubs and sports events will be the last things to be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would expect that the restrictions will roll back in a similar way that they were introduced, only over a longer time frame - it won't be a set date and back to normal from this anyway.

I've re-built my plan on the TrainerRoad plan builder for the rescheduled Dirty Reiver and/or Lakelander, so back to base at the moment. No harm really, as work/ home schooling/ restrictions adding a fair amount of extra stress (if not TSS).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sine the Ras organisers have come out and said that the race is postponed rather than cancelled for this year ive found a new wave of motivation, was strugglng there for the past while. I wasnt able to do it on the planned dates but will be good for anytime after July so im going back to aim for late July and ill adapt as more unfolds

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

dahat wrote: »
    Continuing to train in the vain hope we get a race in July. Its unlikely but if I drop off training I'll pile weight on for sure.

If we get back solo spins I'll tip away with weekend solos & try a few Strava segments though locally they are savage tough. I've been looking at Zwift but need a decent cash outlay that I'm not prepared to do at this time.

You should only need to fork out the monthly sub as you have a trainer, power meter and hrm already. Wont get the full experience on a non smart trainer but can still race no problem on it. A lot of A cat riders turn their trainer difficulty down to zero anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

This was going to be a year of TT focus for me, I'd put in more miles in Nov-Feb than I ever had, followed a training plan closely, invested some €€€ in marginal gains etc. Last week would have been the first week of local TTs. Hard to get motivation now, not knowing what might happen and when.

In the past week I've paused the training plan, just done a few hours, did one 30 min session of intervals. Haven't figured out where to go from here... hopefully I'll pick it up again soon once I figure out what to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

God forbid we mention the word here and may I be struck down for doing so but triathlons are off until June 30th now. Missus got an email this morning so would imagine CI will follow suit soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...triathlons are off until June 30th now...

At least there are some upsides to the current crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

God forbid we mention the word here and may I be struck down for doing so but triathlons are off until June 30th now. Missus got an email this morning so would imagine CI will follow suit soon.

Was wondering why I got a refund for a race in that period!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've decided to pass on the Zwift thing and upgrade my power metre by getting the Assomo pedals in a month or so, a far better use of my cash than a smart turbo all things considered.

The Zwift thread is already full of weight doper chats etc, not what I want to get invovled in for a monthly sub. I do enjoy reading the various Strava & Insta story chat after broken bodies recover from a race.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even when we see some of the restrictions lifted there's a fair chance "social distancing" will become something to continue observing for a while (it's arguably the one thing that is materially reducing exposures), possibly pretty much stopping any road racing, other than possibly TTs, for the rest of the season. Then there's the possibility of a second and even third wave before any vaccine is developed.

My approach is to write off the season and hope to be pleasantly surprised at some stage. It also means I can re-start my training which is not a bad thing personally as I'd pretty much written off the winter due to injury

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sportives will be affected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'm wondering how long they'll hold out on issuing a refund of the competitive supplement to the CI licences ..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plastik wrote: »
    I'm wondering how long they'll hold out on issuing a refund of the competitive supplement to the CI licences ..
    It will possibly be influenced by what the insurers say. That's one of the larger incremental costs they incur through racing

Generally I think insurers are in a no-win situation though. They are probably facing massive claims on certain types of policies, with little exposure on others (eg motor). I would not be surprised if they are significantly out of pocket on this, crisis and that's before people try to make claims for refunds

Advertisement