Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Runner

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Not a very experienced runner either but also not that far away from a C25K that I can't remember what it was like so though I'd pop my experience down as well in case you get anything from it.

You are in a most envious position at the moment as with some consistent training over the next few weeks and months you are really going to see great improvements in your running just by the fact that you are out regularly. Just by getting out and running consistently at this stage is the best way I found to get improve.

The key is to go slowly and let your body adapt to the increased load. Other posters have suggested day on day off which is a great idea as if you try and run everyday then after a couple of weeks your legs will be crocked and you won't run anymore. Mix it up with some home body weight exercise, Yoga, Pilates or whatever takes your fancy and that will get you stronger and more flexible. But again go slow, give your body time to get used to what you are asking it to do.

What I found worked was lots of easy runs of varying distances. Running way slower than you actually can. While it's hard to do and particularly if there are other runners out there passing you just need to keep it slow and steady. This way you build your stamina and endurance. It really is key, if you go and try and bust it every time you go training then it won't be long before you do an injury. Also you won't enjoy it as much as those sessions take a lot out of you physically. Get out, run slow, enjoy the runs and you can add in a little speed in a few weeks.

I found that it's great to train at longer distances so you might do 7K, 9K then 3K on alternative days. This is great training for building up your distance and then when you do go do a 5K the distance seems much easier than the 7's or 9's. Given time you can go longer again so you over-distance for a 10K. Just don't try and go too far too soon as that again increases your chances of injury and putting yourself off your feet for weeks.

I have a sports watch and to control myself running I try and keep my Heart Rate under a certain level. This means I have to run slow and it also turns it into a game for me and distracts me from trying to run too fast. By doing this I've upped my running from 1 or 2 times a week to 5 times a week. If I "trained hard" 5 days a week I wouldn't be able to walk up the stairs.....

Don't worry about times, especially now. As I said the first few weeks, months and years of running you naturally get better and faster really quickly so the times will come but don't fixate on them, what some article said was a good time for 5k really isn't relevant. What is slow for you may be brilliant for someone else and really depends on your level of fitness now, history in sports, gender, weight, genetics etc etc etc... It's better to get out and enjoy it. Also there is always someone faster than you so just enjoy the process and bake running into your life as a pleasure, you'll get faster but some arbitrary number isn't "good" just because you read it somewhere (although round number are nice :) )

Also I found a bath with Epsom salts was great for easing out the sore joints and legs and if you feel tired and sore, don't run that day and save it for the next day when you'll enjoy it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

So, update after 3 weeks of running on and off.

I’m still doing the 5km x 3/4 days per week plus 10km x 1 day.

Although it’s much easier to run 5km, my time is still around the 30 minute mark.

I can’t seem to get faster. It’s like my legs won’t respond.

Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'd say lose the obsession with 5k. Run 3k, 7k, 6.5k - change it up.

If you're just running the same thing over and over then you're training your body to do just that.

An interval run - run HARD for a short distance (sprint 200m, or run fast up a hill) then slow for a while. Do 5, 10, 20 repeats.

Are you doing any strength training, core training or anything to compliment the running?

I definitely think a bit of variety would help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Omega28 wrote: »
    So, update after 3 weeks of running on and off.

I’m still doing the 5km x 3/4 days per week plus 10km x 1 day.

Although it’s much easier to run 5km, my time is still around the 30 minute mark.

I can’t seem to get faster. It’s like my legs won’t respond.

Any advice?

Yes slow down a lot. In 3 months I got someone from 29 mins to 21 mins on 3/4 days a week 3-5 miles each time all easy running at the correct easy pace.

Most people make the same mistake when they are start running. You won't improve trying to beat your last run each time.

rom wrote: »
    Yes slow down a lot. In 3 months I got someone from 29 mins to 21 mins on 3/4 days a week 3-5 miles each time all easy running at the correct easy pace.

Most people make the same mistake when they are start running. You won't improve trying to beat your last run each time.

How should I approach it ? Like 28 mins is a big push for me

• Advertisement

How should I approach it ? Like 28 mins is a big push for me

Of course it is now, all you need is faith and be willing to understand that people were once where you are now also. Sadly most think nah this ain't going to work and I know better.

Do you have a running watch as a phone won't cut it?

rom wrote: »
    Of course it is now, all you need is faith and be willing to understand that people were once where you are now also. Sadly most think nah this ain't going to work and I know better.

Do you have a running watch as a phone won't cut it?

Yes, I have a Garmin Fenix.

Yes, I have a Garmin Fenix.

Do you know your max HR based on the watch?
    How was that measured?

Advertisement