Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Hands - When?

Options
  • 02-04-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

How often are ye washing your hands and when? Im not sure if Im going overboard because Ive OCD.

Apart from when you get home from being out. Before eating? After eating? Or?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How often are ye washing your hands and when? Im not sure if Im going overboard because Ive OCD.

Apart from when you get home from being out. Before eating? After eating? Or?

If your home is a green zone, then there is no need to wash your hands before and after eating. Make your car a green zone also. Gel in the car, wipe down all surfaces. Use gel before you get in the car, use again before you enter your house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's always been a good idea to wash your hands before eating, never mind the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

before I leave the house I always wash my hands

About 40 times a day minimum, but I’m still working. They are absolutely red raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i've washed my hands less in the last few weeks than i usually would, only leave the house once a week though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wear gloves out shopping band keep gel and wipes in the car.
    Wash my hands as soon as I'm home at the sink by the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Every day, whether I need to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I wash mine before and after food prep and/or eating. After using the loo. Before putting my contacts in or out. After cleaning or other jobs around the house.

These days I also give them a good wash after I return to the apartment from being out shopping etc.

I don't feel like I'm washing them much more than before all this. I use gentle moisturising handwash and avoid those harsh sanitizer gels as much as possible, no need for them if you're washing your hands well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I would suggest to wash any food/products you brought home as well. Wash the external packages with soapy water.

na1 wrote: »
    I would suggest to wash any food/products you brought home as well. Wash the external packages with soapy water.

Or if they're not for the fridge just leave them for a few days before using them.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Or if they're not for the fridge just leave them for a few days before using them.

According to latest news traces of the coronavirus were found up to 17 days after passengers disembarked the cruise ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

About 40 times a day minimum, but I’m still working. They are absolutely red raw.

Me too. Well not quite 40 times...

According to latest news traces of the coronavirus were found up to 17 days after passengers disembarked the cruise ship.
    And were those traces enough to have a realistic chance of infecting anyone? Are you guaranteed not to leave traces when wiping down packaging?

Another handy piece is the UV lamp. They can be used to disinfect the whole room in 10 mins.
    I'm wondering why supermarkets still not use them?

And were those traces enough to have a realistic chance of infecting anyone? Are you guaranteed not to leave traces when wiping down packaging?

No, it is not guaranteed at all. But leaves less chances to the virus.
    I'm thinking of start using the UV lamp -its more reliable. and less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For the virus? Only if I have been out.
    Otherwise after toilet, before food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Before and after going to the bathroom. Before and after eating something. Before and after anything new comes into the house or touching anything that has only been in the house a few days. And trying not to touch my face, mostly to create a good habit that will help me when I have to go out.

They found bits of fragmented corona DNA, not any instance of an active virus, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone have a brand of liquid soap that doesn't tear up your hands with repeated washing? Currently using Carex Sensitive but it's not living up to its name...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anyone have a brand of liquid soap that doesn't tear up your hands with repeated washing? Currently using Carex Sensitive but it's not living up to its name...

I use Dove and Simple. It can be hard enough to get any brand at the moment. I needed to get several bottles for a charity I'm linked in with that urgently needed them,
    I couldn't get any in the first few shops I tried .... however they had plenty of bottles of Dove in Home Savers in Crumlin. In case anyone is looking for some in that area!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a problem in general with liquid soaps, and get some very dry skin and cracking on my hands especially the knuckles. Have taken to applying some hand cream regularly which has helped a lot.

• Advertisement

since the virus has a fatty outer coat that it dies without, i wonder if a good scrub with vegetable oil/sunflower oil would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

since the virus has a fatty outer coat that it dies without, i wonder if a good scrub with vegetable oil/sunflower oil would work?

Surely that would make it worse?

Washing up liquid and soap breaks down fat. Oil is fat, and would simply coat it. :D

Surely that would make it worse?

Washing up liquid and soap breaks down fat. Oil is fat, and would simply coat it. :D

We used to use it to wash off oil based inks, nothing else would work, even expensive industrial soaps for that exact purpose weren't as good.. i was imagining this virus as being like a little invisible oil based ink

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Got some curteria hand gel online it says only 57% ethanol are they next to useless I thought the who said something about being over 60%

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Got some curteria hand gel online it says only 57% ethanol are they next to useless I thought the who said something about being over 60%

Yeah 60-70% at least... A squirt of surgical spirit would bring it up to 60%, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Or, when you come back from the shops, if there is outer packaging that can be disposed of without the contents going to ruin e.g. cardboard wrapping around individual items, just get rid of the outside cardboard and wash your hands before touching the individual items - more than likely they have not been in direct contact with the virus for a long time if any.

Me too. Well not quite 40 times...

I’m close to 50 some days, depends what I’m doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

If your home is a green zone, then there is no need to wash your hands before and after eating. Make your car a green zone also. Gel in the car, wipe down all surfaces. Use gel before you get in the car, use again before you enter your house

Green zone?

Do you moisturise? Any moisturiser would help (I prefer Vaseline brand since its not oily/greasy). If theyre really bad, OKeefes working hands cream is supposed to be good.

Any moisturiser would help (I prefer Vaseline brand since its not oily/greasy). If theyre really bad, OKeefes working hands cream is supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Green zone?

Free of traces of the virus. I dunno if thats a term people use, but i just used it on the spur of the moment typing that. My other half did a big clean of all surfaces in the house shortly after the outbreak in Ireland. The inside of the car was also cleaned out.

I work in retail so its a simple case of me bringing the virus home as my wife and daughter are isolating. I clean my hands when i leave the work place, don't touch anything as i head to my car. When i get into the car i clean them again, and just before i enter my home i clean them again.
    Strip off naked in the garden, burn all my clothes then my wife sprays me down with the garden house. So far so good

• Advertisement

Do you moisturise? Any moisturiser would help (I prefer Vaseline brand since its not oily/greasy). If theyre really bad, OKeefes working hands cream is supposed to be good.

I don’t as I have none and chemists are a no-go these days. I might need to order online though as in between my fingers has got that raw that they’re starting to crack and bleed.

Advertisement