Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our hospitals are actually very quiet.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

coastwatch wrote: »
    This is really a good news story.
    We couldn't build a temporary 1000 bed hospital in 10 days like they were able to do in Wuhan
    The HSE made arrangements for a huge temporary increase in public hospital capacity, for a worst case scenario.

Great that they had the capability to do that, and even better, that the extra capacity hasn't been needed.
    Sorry, that's just too naive for me.

Obviously, its great people are not sick from an infectious disease.

But it's too Father Dougal Maguire to use that to say this is a good news story. This is a bad news story, and is only coming to light because private consultants want to get back earning. Its a bad news story about allowing ourselves to be hoodwinked by bad information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

LabDude wrote: »
    As a health care worker I am proud to be part of a team that is currently going above and beyond to stay ahead (where possible) of this pandemic. I am lucky that my job is not in direct clinical contact with patients and I have so much respect for my colleagues who knowingly face this ever present danger daily. There are many moving parts changing daily, some have listed exactly why our A&Es have reduced attendance and shorter wait times and these are (anecdotally) all correct.

The hospitals are not quiet but the are appropriately managing this crisis as best they can. I work in a large acute hospital and credit to management who have done everything possible to accommodate staff by building resilience into the rostering, facilitating parking, and removing day/surgical procedures to safe 'clean' facilities where possible to protect the patients.

For those having a go at any HCW or otherwise, it may be a good time to evaluate yourself. Stop trolling.

And shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

And back to the normal nonsense.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hospital-staff-fear-return-of-overcrowding-and-understaffing-in-coming-weeks-1000096.html

Nurses and doctors say we must ensure overcrowding does not return to emergency departments in the coming weeks.

The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation and Irish Association for Emergency Medicine fear the problem may come back.

They are warning that overcrowding and understaffing may lead to increased infection risk, poor patient outcomes, and unsafe workplaces.
    You'd hope our collective experience of the past couple of months would finally unseat any idea that pronouncements by health sector bodies deserve the level of respect that used to be given to Papal Bulls.

And, for some, it has. But many will be naive enough to swallow this stuff whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

@coastwatch, - 'that the extra capacity wasn't needed'.

I reckon that is so. But why [+ I could be wrong here] does there seem to be so very much deference to the wearing of masks - mainly in and around areas where there are many housing areas accessed by medical employees?
    Also, the govt. now in the budget has allocated an, extra?, 4 billion to the HSE? Buying Union votes?

so, so, many videos on YouTube, of Dancing Nurses 2020.

www.basildon University Hospital NHS Dancers - March 20 2020 .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Balf wrote: »
    Sez our Chief Medical Officer, before he asks people to crowd into A&E before anyone notices that our health services are generally well funded and the congestion line they usually peddle is bunkum.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-hospital-symptoms-5065098-Apr2020/

Its the arbitrary air about his comment that I wonder about. He turns up in a hospital, sees empty beds and leaps to the conclusion that there's a problem because it should be bedlam.

Sorry reality doesn't match your preconceptions, boss.

My local hospital last week had 25 waiting for beds in A and E and another 9 outside wards...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Graces7 wrote: »
    My local hospital last week had 25 waiting for beds in A and E and another 9 outside wards...

My father passed away in hospital on Monday, we’re a biggish Midlands town and the hospital was quiet.

There might be exceptions but largely yeah hospitals are not overstretched but I did say that at the start of the Covid crisis that the unions would make this all about them.

The medical staff who looked after my dad are angels and deserve better than to be used politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gervais08 wrote: »
    My father passed away in hospital on Monday, we’re a biggish Midlands town and the hospital was quiet.

There might be exceptions but largely yeah hospitals are not overstretched but I did say that at the start of the Covid crisis that the unions would make this all about them.

The medical staff who looked after my dad are angels and deserve better than to be used politically.

So sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Firstly, condolences, @Gervais.

The Unions are straining at the leash. med.Unions, bus Unions, clerical Unions. and are in satisfaction at how the public infrastructure, is all theirs.

This Covid in so many way corresponds to an illness - the short term, the medium term - financially, when Trump focuses on u.s. industry - what industry do Ireland focus on?; for the Govt. [for their own motives], may rely on Bribing Unions and on Unions members for their Votes, i.e. not on industry. The long-term, there is no Ireland Inc., just reliance on capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

Exactly a month ago Philp Nolan tweeted about testing levels and the expected outcomes. Based on the seroprevalence study indicating that in March/April they were detecting about 1 in 3 infections, and declaring that they were detecting 'most' current infections he gave an expectation (assuming 10% of infections in 65+ age group) that every 1000 detected infections should give rise to 45 hospitalizations, 8 ICU admissions and 8 deaths.
    https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1305945977262690304

Today, his NPHET colleague Colm Henry stated "for every 1,000 cases of Covid-19, between 25 and 50 people are admitted to hospital, with between two and five people requiring admission to ICU".

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1015/1171749-hse-covid-19-ireland/

The proportion of infections amongst 65+ year olds has remained at 9-10%, so it appears from today's comments that the September expectation turned out to be unduly pessimistic with regard to ICU admissions in particular.

Advertisement