Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

costs if you end up in hospital with covid19

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

splinter65 wrote: »
    In the public system the max is €800 in a rolling year. No matter what tests or treatment or no matter how many nights you were in. If you are alleging that you were charged more then that and you have evidence that you were charged and paid more then that (should be easy to prove, they sent you an invoice and if you’ve lost that invoice they can send you another) then you will be reimbursed.
    If it’s a case that you demanded certain tests/drugs that the hospital didn’t think were appropriate then you did that at your own expense.

I was not reimbursed. It was charged to my health insurance.

I didn't want the MRI ..the medications etc. They did. They also made me stay longer than i wanted to.

Please stop calling me a liar.

I asked for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

In the public system the max is €800 in a rolling year. No matter what tests or treatment or no matter how many nights you were in. If you are alleging that you were charged more then that and you have evidence that you were charged and paid more then that (should be easy to prove, they sent you an invoice and if you’ve lost that invoice they can send you another) then you will be reimbursed.
    If it’s a case that you demanded certain tests/drugs that the hospital didn’t think were appropriate then you did that at your own expense.

I didn't want the MRI ..the medications etc. They did. They also made me stay longer than i wanted to.

I asked for nothing.

That is probably the reason you were charged more

drake70 wrote: »
    That is probably the reason you were charged more

yup....and that charge in turn is at some point going to be passed on to me ..by my health insurance. Maybe not this year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's said that 80% who get this will have a mild dose to be treated at home. 20% will need to go to hospital and about 5% of them will need to go to ICU.

I'm following all the guidelines and hopefully I don't get this virus. If I do get the virus, I have plans in place to make it as comfortable as possible at home and hopefully I will be able to get through the dose at home.

Would it be a good idea to pack a bag for the hospital and to do so now that I am good and well, just in case I need to go to hospital?

What would I pack in a hospital bag?
    Pyjamas
    Clean socks and underwear? For how many days?
    An activity I like, like reading or knitting

I have made out a list for us both here
    Name . DOB . Next of Kin
    Medications
    Allergies
    Medical history

I have two cards ready with all the info so we don’t get all flustered and anxious if it needed

yup....and that charge in turn is at some point going to be passed on to me ..by my health insurance. Maybe not this year etc.

Possibly yes.

A work colleague had a short stay in hospital a few years ago and went through his insurance.

Hospital charged his insurance company for a private room even though he was on a standard six bed ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Wibbs wrote: »
    In musical terms and in personal healthcare cost terms...

Thank Christ.

Maybe a bit premature with that quip.

The Trump administration is expected to use a federal stimulus package to pay hospitals that treat uninsured people with the new coronavirus as long as they agree not to bill the patients or issue unexpected charges, according to two people familiar with the planning.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-administration-set-to-pay-hospitals-for-treating-uninsured-coronavirus-patients-2020-04-03

Possibly yes.

A work colleague had a short stay in hospital a few years ago and went through his insurance.

Hospital charged his insurance company for a private room even though he was on a standard six bed ward.
    Yep. Although sometimes your insurance company will try and fight it for when the hospital takes the piss. But if they can't ...it eventually gets passed on to you.

Its funny how many people don't realize this or believe me. I know for certain then they don't handle their own health insurance or they would know. Perhaps an employer or family member does.

If they don't have insurance ..i would still be worried for their naivety.

I have noticed though ...anytime i have been to a hospital they always want me to stay overnight when its not really necessary ..i always go home. And if i have had to stay over ..they always want to keep me in way longer ...i mean they say i am fine i feel fine ..and i think they need the bed etc.

I think its part of the reason maybe they don't have beds. They don't want to get some patients out of them as quick as they say they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I asked for nothing.

Either you are a public patient or you are going via your health insurance. You cannot combine the two. You obviously utilized your health insurance. This conversation is about patients who just use the public system. If you have no medical card and you are admitted to hospital via the public system then the max cost to the patient in any rolling year is €800. It doesn’t matter how much treatment or how long or how extensive the treatment is . It’s €800. No one called you a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Just to reiterate, you do not pay anything for the treatment and care you receive for a notifiable illness. My child was hospitalised for one of these illnessess (not covid) for two weeks. We did receive a bill for the max 10 days but when I called up to explain what we were in for, they wiped the charges. This covers any illness that has to be reported to the health authority such as Meningitis, Whooping Cough, TB etc.

Here is the link to the current list https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/List%20of%20Notifiable%20Diseases%20February%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Possibly yes.

If you want to be treated as a public patient then you don’t mention on admission in your admission form that you have private health insurance.

• Advertisement

Either you are a public patient or you are going via your health insurance. You cannot combine the two. You obviously utilized your health insurance. This conversation is about patients who just use the public system. If you have no medical card and you are admitted to hospital via the public system then the max cost to the patient in any rolling year is €800. It doesn’t matter how much treatment or how long or how extensive the treatment is . It’s €800. No one called you a liar.
    I was a public patient ....admitted in the public system

Why don't you think you can't use your health insurance in the public system?

You'll have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

You'll have to.

You can use your health insurance in a public hospital, but you are then a private patient. Not a public one.
    You can be admitted as a public patient if you don't use your health insurance. But if you use it, you're a private patient. So the rules covering public patients (800e cap) don't apply.

Article from nearly 4 years ago, so costs are not up to date. Apologies if it's behind the paywall:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/should-you-declare-as-a-private-patient-when-attending-a-public-hospital-1.2733187

Excerpt:
    It meant that a private patient in a public hospital would pay private patient rates (or at least their insurer would) ranging from €813 for a bed in a ward (capped at 180 nights) or €1,000 for a private room. Public patients on the other hand pay a nightly rate of €75 which is capped at €750 in any 12-month period.

Also, a response I received from VHI when I asked them about it:

18/04/2017:
    Hi drake70 - Thanks for your query. Insurance Ireland are calling on Government to review the situation, believing that charging people through their insurance for a service they’ve already paid for amounts to double taxation. Currently private health insurance customers are being charged twice for their entitlement to be treated in a public hospital. Private Health Insurance Companies now face a bill for €800 per night, where their customers occupy a bed on a public ward. On behalf of the Private Health Insurance Companies , Insurance Ireland through the Health Insurance Council believes this is an unfair measure and one which should be addressed. Vhi support this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You'll have to.

You're not a public patient if you use health insurance

lozenges wrote: »
    You can use your health insurance in a public hospital, but you are then a private patient. Not a public one.
    You can be admitted as a public patient if you don't use your health insurance. But if you use it, you're a private patient. So the rules covering public patients (800e cap) don't apply.
    ah thank you...still dont trust them

Still though it must mean if they are running every test under the sun that i don't need and keeping me there longer....that bed is taken longer than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

ah thank you...still dont trust them

Still though it must mean if they are running every test under the sun that i don't need and keeping me there longer....that bed is taken longer than it needs to be.

You're right, it's one of the negatives of private health insurance. If there is a financial incentive to do a test then more tests are going to be ordered, some of which may or may not be strictly necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    poor b@stards in america without health insurance would have to fork out on average $35k in hospital costs
    fin12 wrote: »
    Trump just said in press conference treatment for covid 19 is free. People who have no health care will be treated and not charged.

really?? wonder will he hold his word?

Advertisement