Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else prefer it now to before?

• 03-04-2020 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Pretty chill vibe on the streets, most of the spoofers and snowflakes have locked themselves away, and you can wander around listening to tunes, or just chill in the park and watch the world go by. Beautiful blue sky with a comforting degree of heat under the sun today, and a lot of eccentric characters parading through town like princes, but everyone keeping a respectable distance, which is nice, and pretty relaxing. Essential services myself, so I've a reason to be out and about. As I say it's tres chill out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

No not really.

Pain in my bollocks about the whole thing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

000s dying, economies crashing, Africa on the brink.
    Yeah, it's just great out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

You should move down the country so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Fann Linn wrote: »
    000s dying, economies crashing, Africa on the brink.
    Yeah, it's just great out there.

Ah, the snowflake fraternity checked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

No.

I'm still working too, one of the lucky "essential workers". Many aren't so fortunate. There is nothing good about this pandemic. People will lose everything. People are dying/will die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No more avocado toast, what the heck will we do now.

Anyway, time will tell, but I reckon the minute things are lifted it will be back to some kind of normality, such as it can be for many. Doubt pubs and clubs will open anytime soon, and travel will be problematic.

But onwards and upwards. I have learned a great lesson in keeping occupied with stuff I said I never had time for before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

No, there's nothing to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Ah, the snowflake fraternity checked in.

Just a realist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

yenom wrote: »
    There's always something to do.. Always
    Life is for living!!

No.
    And Dublin City Centre is like 28days later.
    The only people hanging around are junkies & spunkers.
    Looks like the zombie apocalypse

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    No.
    And Dublin City Centre is like 28days later.
    The only people hanging around are junkies & spunkers.
    Looks like the zombie apocalypse

WTF is a spunker?

Break from the pub is healthy, taking in more exercise. Bigger picture, Covid-19 has been an unwelcome intrusion and I won't be nostalgic when it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Doubt pubs and clubs will open anytime soon, and travel will be problematic.

I honestly believe they will be the last thing to open up, especially night clubs. I often wonder if when this crisis is over if pubs and clubs will be made limit the amount of people that they allow in, in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You are mad in the head if you prefer now to before.

This isn't living, just existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sort of

Any human with an ounce of cop on probably harbours a little guilt about our excesses and abuse of mother nature.

I find a sense of peace in the fact were staying still for a little while.

We should do this for 1 month every year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I preferred a time when I couldn’t possibly kill both my parents with a damn sneeze. Never mind anyone else vulnerable.

I do like people having to step back from the rat race but not under these conditions and circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Arghus wrote: »

Whilst I agree, I've gotten to know my family again since the lockdown. Im realising how lucky I am and how utterly fragile it all is all at the same time. God knows at what price to so many innocent victims though:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pretty chill vibe on the streets, most of the spoofers and snowflakes have locked themselves away, and you can wander around listening to tunes, or just chill in the park and watch the world go by. Beautiful blue sky with a comforting degree of heat under the sun today, and a lot of eccentric characters parading through town like princes, but everyone keeping a respectable distance, which is nice, and pretty relaxing. Essential services myself, so I've a reason to be out and about. As I say it's tres chill out there.

You clearly have no elderly relatives I take it?

Nonsense thread that's insulting to anyone affected by this crisis

Muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm getting used to it but I don't like it.
    Things don't feel right or real.

I'm working, another one of those 'essential workers' and I'm happy to be employed and I don't even mind the quiet streets/roads and the social distancing and everything but I hope normality returns very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s just weird. The silence is during the day is nothing I’ve experienced in this city in 40 years. It’s beyond weird. The silence now at night is deafening to the point I’m just listening to my own heartbeat.

You turn on the tv where before the real and the live was broadcast beside unreal fiction. There is nothing real, no live sport, a lifetime first. There is a creepy calm, just my own heartbeat and the faint murmured whisper from the tv downstairs. Outside the sound of nothing is deafening. Strange times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Wait till the Budget 2021.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What the f*cks a spunker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Something I didn’t want to run through google images search, that’s for sure. Mannnnn ughhhh. Off to wash my eyeballs.

WTF is a spunker?

A street drinker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

No. I would prefer for myself and himself to still be working. I would prefer if my Nanny were not crippled by the loneliness this "cocooning" has brought on her. I miss my friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm living day to day and it's not living. I miss my family. I've no idea what the future will bring for anyone, except that it will be worse for everyone.

For people in my generation, a lot of whom are only now finally making headway after all chunks of our lives spent in recession, it's pretty heartbreaking to know the whole game has been reset *again*, because it means that by the time we recover *again*, we'll be too old to get a mortgage or make any significant career progress before we retire at 80. Tough luck, next player.

I understand a little of what the OP means about the novelty of it but this is a catastrophe happening in slow motion and it's a hard to forget that for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

A street drinker

Think it's more the offspring of such.

Was going to go into details, best not. I don't want a ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's for the greater good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd prefer each major city in the country to be carpet bombed every night and to be able to sign up to join the army to attack that country dropping the bombs. This standing around with your sliced pan and 24 pack of toilet roll waiting to die is the worst of all screnarios.

• Advertisement

A street drinker

Just looked it up on urban dictionary. Haha.

Can't believe i never heard that phrase before.

Going through a dry spell so if anyone knows where they hang out let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It really isn't just existing.
    There is so much to do in the garden, it is never-ending, plus you can read, cook, bake, make art. There is honestly still not enough hours in the day for everything. Walking. Long baths. Better sleep. Movies. Surfing online. Sewing. I am working through a big backlog of projects also, work wise, so I have to keep at that most of tge day. You can keep in touch with people with texts, phone calls, whatsapp, facetime etc. It has been lovely weather. The leaves are all sprouting. Aside from the horrible fact that there is a very nasty respiratory virus around which we must avoid spreading, life is still going on. For certain I have been very sad by times for the suffering of others and confused as to what might happen in the future, and there has been emotional adjustment to do, but this is far from merely existing overall. Just my opinion.

Creativity. Making films in corona lockdown. People are really fecking good at being creative. This is good. :)

https://twitter.com/MrAlexWood/status/1243835969905864704?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The world itself is probably delighted with this. It finally learned to vaccinate itself against us so it can heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.

I'm one of those somebodies! I'm pretty happy with the slower pace of life at the moment. I live alone and am quite content pottering around my apartment, enjoying my own company. I'm lucky enough that my work can be done from home, so that keeps my days structured and productive.

Obviously I understand how difficult this is for most people. For that reason I hope things go back to normal soon - and of course I can't wait to see my parents again when it's all over. For now though I'm making the most of the situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Need the kid to get back to school so I can get some work done. Working from home anyway is handy, but a nightmare trying to do the job as per normal and keep the kid educated / entertained at the same time.

Then to see people delighting in having a load of spare time for "stuff" just adds to the frustration as there is now zero time for anything else to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I certainly can see some positives to have come out of the pandemic. A few that I'd hope would stick around afterwards but probably won't.
    Obviously the price is far too high for the current slower pace of life.
    But a few positive for what they are worth:

Families are spending the majority of their time at home being families. Compared to kids being left in creche like battery chickens while their parents go to work to pay for a house they'll never truly have the time to enjoy with their children.

Parents are realising how tough being a teacher is!

Feck all traffic on the road. You can breeze through most cities at 5pm

A 40% reduction in pollution around Europe

No drunken gobsh1tes staggering around towns and cities

A&E isn't choked with said gobsh1tes

No one standing in the middle of shop aisles pretending you don't exist when you're trying to get past with your own trolley. They treat you like you have the plague and get out of the way.

People are more friendly now and have to acknowledge others when they pass on a footpath - I know it's purely to negotiate the 2 metre rule, but nice all the same.

No consumerism for the sake of consumerism. The amount of people that have told me they're saving fortunes by not buying new clothes they'll never wear or spending day on end in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just really hope it wakes us up to how unsustainable our lives were before. Constant consumption and growth and totally unsustainable living, but that's what most people want to go back to. So we're going to have more and more of these global issues if we don't sort our sh*t out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd prefer each major city in the country to be carpet bombed every night

Jesus.

Crisis times bring out the best and the worst in some people.
    Some volunteer and help out others sit at home and spout bile and raw hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There are a few good things emerging:

Remote work, considered the great Satan by many companies (and employees) appears to be going well for many. I doubt some companies will ever abandon the bean bags and open plan offices, but hopefully it will become normal for many knowledge workers to work from home some of the time. Imagine if most workers stayed home two days a week: benefits to childcare, carbon emissions, land use in Dublin, public transport, air pollution.

I would like to see shops shut on a Sunday. This is still the case in many regional towns and European cities. Keep the pubs and cafes going and let people just enjoy a quieter day, one day of the week.

People appreciating the value of a walk and natural beauty in their local area. I hope when the government do lift the restrictions that families can again gather in small numbers outside long before the pubs/clubs open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Gynoid wrote: »
    It really isn't just existing.
    There is so much to do in the garden, it is never-ending, plus you can read, cook, bake, make art. There is honestly still not enough hours in the day for everything. Walking. Long baths. Better sleep. Movies. Surfing online. Sewing. I am working through a big backlog of projects also, work wise, so I have to keep at that most of tge day. You can keep in touch with people with texts, phone calls, whatsapp, facetime etc. It has been lovely weather. The leaves are all sprouting. Aside from the horrible fact that there is a very nasty respiratory virus around which we must avoid spreading, life is still going on. For certain I have been very sad by times for the suffering of others and confused as to what might happen in the future, and there has been emotional adjustment to do, but this is far from merely existing overall. Just my opinion.

That all sounds lovely, but I'm afraid the house I'm renting a room in along with other "essential workers" as we wait to get sick and find out if we'll survive it doesn't have a garden or a bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

yenom wrote: »

You can volunteer in your local community if you're healthy & able. There's a LOT to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

Red Alert wrote: »
    T

I would like to see shops shut on a Sunday. This is still the case in many regional towns and European cities. Keep the pubs and cafes going and let people just enjoy a quieter day, one day of the week.

This is one of the things I do like about the current situation. Less traffic, less hustle and bustle. Reminds me of Sundays as a child when everything was closed. In saying that I hated Sundays as a child so maybe it is just the nostalgia speaking:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't prefer it now, how could you when people are dying, the economy is tanking, families are being kept apart and the health service is taking a big hit.

But, that aside, I'm not in the least bit put out by the change in pace due to the restrictions. Social distancing is not bothering me either - if I'm being honest, it appeals to me and suits my personality (introvert). I don't have to invent excuses for not going to events! People (usually extroverts) just can't understand why you would not want to go out to an event.

TLDR, wish this virus never happened. Not bothered by restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Parents are realising how tough being a teacher is!

It's not the same at all. They're being a teacher 24/7 while also trying to work if they're working from home, keep the house functioning (feeding, washing people etc) . Theres no free periods ,break times or starting at 9 and finishing at half 2 or 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BuboBubo wrote: »
    There is nothing good about this pandemic.

That's not necessarily the case.

For one thing this might give us a good wake up call in terms of preventing and dealing with pandemics. I was utterly shocked by how sh*te the response by western countries were initially, and public opinion generally backed this piss poor response, generally citing the 'scam' of SARS.

Imagine if, instead of having an average morality of 2% this had an average mortality of 15%? We wouldn't be dealing with it much better, but we would be looking at a vastly worse scenario. This experience may stop this from happening again, and indeed may prevent worse from happening.

This has given a genuine test of how well work-from-home works. Some jobs can be essentially moved to peoples' homes. This would be great. Of course, many, many jobs won't - but we will be able to identify the jobs that can.

This will also be the first time that the planet has had a shared problem that it's had to overcome. Again this will be a useful test in terms of other global problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Red Alert wrote: »
    I would like to see shops shut on a Sunday. This is still the case in many regional towns and European cities. Keep the pubs and cafes going and let people just enjoy a quieter day, one day of the week. .

Nothing stopping anyone having a quieter day on a sunday. If anything, some people being in work and others availing of that work keeps other places emptier.

You're also halving the earnings of some people that only work weekends. Plus , why only shops? why not let everyone have Sundays off? Plenty of people dont want to spend the whole of sunday sitting in a pub

That all sounds lovely, but I'm afraid the house I'm renting a room in along with other "essential workers" as we wait to get sick and find out if we'll survive it doesn't have a garden or a bath.

I am really sorry to hear that. It is miserable and scary. Up til last Sunday night my company were still considered essential workers and I was sick to the stomach with the fear of being out at work. I was going to call in sick on Monday as I had had enough and was willing to take my chances with social welfare. Maybe you can weigh up your job and other choices? If one is not really essential and not adequately protected it seems cruel to be forced out now while we do not know enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You'd want to have had a fairly empty life to prefer things now.

Smacks of bitterness and wanting everyone else to be as miserable as you previously were tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement