Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else prefer it now to before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gynoid wrote: »
    It really isn't just existing.
    There is so much to do in the garden, it is never-ending, plus you can read, cook, bake, make art. There is honestly still not enough hours in the day for everything. Walking. Long baths. Better sleep. Movies. Surfing online. Sewing. I am working through a big backlog of projects also, work wise, so I have to keep at that most of tge day. You can keep in touch with people with texts, phone calls, whatsapp, facetime etc. It has been lovely weather. The leaves are all sprouting. Aside from the horrible fact that there is a very nasty respiratory virus around which we must avoid spreading, life is still going on. For certain I have been very sad by times for the suffering of others and confused as to what might happen in the future, and there has been emotional adjustment to do, but this is far from merely existing overall. Just my opinion.

You have a positive attitude and fair play, but it’s kinda existing, to a point anyway.

Living is about enjoying life unrestricted, your own choices. Enjoying and not having your choices curtailed because you might fûcking catch something that can kill you or make you or a loved one extremely ill by just something as simple as going for a paper or wanting to meet friends.

You have mentioned a lot of activities you enjoy around the house and fair play. That genuinely great and a good thing and it’s helping YOU but for many others who don’t have the luxury of working from home, are not artists, bakers or sewers... I’m guessing 95% + will fit that category... it’s a pain in the bôllocks. It’s got to be tough for older people and those living alone.

I’m not fairing too badly, I like walking, ps4, tv, my iPad is loaded with apps, games, media, social media, I’ve an exercise bike, weights, guitar, books, Netflix but, still... 100% this is a ball ache, worse for so many others... i can fill my day well enough but it’s existing in an existence all be it in relation to something quite serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone," wrote the French philosopher Blaise Pascal. It's a line repeated so frequently, in the era of smartphones and social media, that it's easy to forget how striking it is that he wrote it in the 1600s.
    I think I'm getting pretty good at it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pretty chill vibe on the streets, most of the spoofers and snowflakes have locked themselves away, and you can wander around listening to tunes, or just chill in the park and watch the world go by. Beautiful blue sky with a comforting degree of heat under the sun today, and a lot of eccentric characters parading through town like princes, but everyone keeping a respectable distance, which is nice, and pretty relaxing. Essential services myself, so I've a reason to be out and about. As I say it's tres chill out there.

Sure look. There'll always be arseholes who, instead of playing their part, take advantage of the situation and end up prolonging it for everyone.

In theory, if everyone strictly quarantined for X weeks, then those infected would have either recovered or died. Without new hosts to propagate through, the virus goes away. No quarantine can be perfect, which is why everyone needs to take it extremely seriously and act together.

If 95% of people do their best and the other 5% don't take it seriously, then the 5% will reseed it over and over again. Reducing the impact of the 95%'s efforts.

But sure look. Selfish people want to go out and wander around for a gander. Fat fucks who normally have to think twice before deciding to get off the couch to get the remote on the other chair decide they urgently need to go out for a walk/run. Just because, ya know, they need to show/feel that they are special and the rules don't apply to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Strumms wrote: »
    You have a positive attitude and fair play, but it’s kinda existing, to a point anyway.

Living is about enjoying life unrestricted, your own choices. Enjoying and not having your choices curtailed because you might fûcking catch something that can kill you or make you or a loved one extremely ill by just something as simple as going for a paper or wanting to meet friends.

You have mentioned a lot of activities you enjoy around the house and fair play. That genuinely great and a good thing and it’s helping YOU but for many others who don’t have the luxury of working from home, are not artists, bakers or sewers... I’m guessing 95% + will fit that category... it’s a pain in the bôllocks. It’s got to be tough for older people and those living alone.

I’m not fairing too badly, I like walking, ps4, tv, my iPad is loaded with apps, games, media, social media, I’ve an exercise bike, weights, guitar, books, Netflix but, still... 100% this is a ball ache, worse for so many others... i can fill my day well enough but it’s existing in an existence all be it in relation to something quite serious.

I get ya. It is understandable.
    For different reasons, some chosen, some forced upon me, I have spent very long stretches of time at home, and also sometimes alone. I am accustomed to it. Overall I like people. Essentially though I thrive in solitude and quietude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Essentially though I thrive in solitude and quietude.

That is something this situation is 100% NOT in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm housesharing and can't manage what my housemates are bringing into the house.
    I have asthma and am scared of picking up the the virus and the effects it could have on me and others.
    I'm scared of passing it on to my elderly neighbours
    I'm scared for my grandad who is stuck in a nursing home right now
    I'm scared for my parents and my boyfriend's parents who in the at risk group
    I'm dreading every news alert and the fear of getting a phone call to learn that one of the reported numbers is someone I know
    I hate the tense atmosphere that's all over the country at the moment
    I miss my family
    I miss my boyfriend
    I miss my friends
    I miss all the things I took for granted before like going to the pub, for a long walk, to the gym, for a drive.
    I miss being able to go to my local shop for a litre of milk without harbouring a feeling of guilt and fear.

No. I don't prefer it now to before.

Edit: Just to note I am keeping myself busy with work, yoga, cooking, knitting etc and am keeping in touch with everyone by phone etc, so I am managing ok. But the novelty of staying home wears off very quickly in this situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Pretty chill vibe on the streets, most of the spoofers and snowflakes have locked themselves away, and you can wander around listening to tunes, or just chill in the park and watch the world go by. Beautiful blue sky with a comforting degree of heat under the sun today, and a lot of eccentric characters parading through town like princes, but everyone keeping a respectable distance, which is nice, and pretty relaxing. Essential services myself, so I've a reason to be out and about. As I say it's tres chill out there.

‘Tres chill’

You have absolutely no right to be calling anyone a spoofer you absolute poser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was one of the folks who had optional WFH before this happened. What I see afterwards is a sea change in attitude to WFH. I can imagine call centers will move to WFH a lot, had already started with some companies as a cost saver. People may be more sensitive to poor hygiene in public.

It's nice to have a slow pace of life for a while, but, to counteract that, we are a blended family and my partner has not seen her kids for a couple of weeks. Thanks to skype it's not so bad but nothing replaces a physical hug.

I'm housesharing and can't manage what my housemates are bringing into the house.
    I have asthma and am scared of picking up the the virus and the effects it could have on me and others.
    I'm scared of passing it on to my elderly neighbours
    I'm scared for my grandad who is stuck in a nursing home right now
    I'm scared for my parents and my boyfriend's parents who in the at risk group
    I'm dreading every news alert and the fear of getting a phone call to learn that one of the reported numbers is someone I know
    I hate the tense atmosphere that's all over the country at the moment
    I miss my family
    I miss my boyfriend
    I miss my friends
    I miss all the things I took for granted before like going to the pub, for a long walk, to the gym, for a drive.
    I miss being able to go to my local shop for a litre of milk without harbouring a feeling of guilt and fear.

No. I don't prefer it now to before.

Edit: Just to note I am keeping myself busy with work, yoga, cooking, knitting etc and am keeping in touch with everyone by phone etc, so I am managing ok. But the novelty of staying home wears off very quickly in this situation.

Don’t be scared, be over soon and normalization will reign...Find out if your local shop sells play doh and we can all make play doh caricatures of each other and post them here... essential I’d think. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes and no. As I said in another post, this is the first time in years I've had free time. I'm getting caught up on heaps of stuff and there is no chance of me getting bored. I'm also very much enjoying getting time to myself. I love the fact people are pulling together to help.

However, there is also a reality to be faced. This isn't sustainable. Other than the obvious of people being affected directly by the virus, routine doctor and hospital appointment are being put on hold. People are left suffering just because they can't be treated while this is going on. While I enjoy isolation, many do not and it is tough on them. The economy is not coping with this.

So whilst there are both positives and negatives from this, as it is currently, virus included, this isn't preferable. I would support something like a shut down (excluding essential services) for one week in the year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bubblypop wrote: »
    No.
    And Dublin City Centre is like 28days later.
    The only people hanging around are junkies & spunkers.
    Looks like the zombie apocalypse

It's more like 28 weeks later. There's some people about, but they're all vary wary.

It really isn't just existing.
    There is so much to do in the garden, it is never-ending, plus you can read, cook, bake, make art. There is honestly still not enough hours in the day for everything. Walking. Long baths. Better sleep. Movies. Surfing online. Sewing. I am working through a big backlog of projects also, work wise, so I have to keep at that most of tge day. You can keep in touch with people with texts, phone calls, whatsapp, facetime etc. It has been lovely weather. The leaves are all sprouting. Aside from the horrible fact that there is a very nasty respiratory virus around which we must avoid spreading, life is still going on. For certain I have been very sad by times for the suffering of others and confused as to what might happen in the future, and there has been emotional adjustment to do, but this is far from merely existing overall. Just my opinion.

Found the person who isn't working from home but is still getting paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'm used to the peace and quiet as i live alone anyway and i'm still working in town, in "essential services" but i really miss my family who i can't see, and i miss going about my normal life, quiet pint, golf, fishing ect.
    But i do get the op's point.
    When all this is over, we will go back to the me me society we had previously
    with no regard to our fellow humans, and of course the political situation the numbskulls in our country have left us with after the GE.
    God help us

i'm used to the peace and quiet as i live alone anyway and i'm still working in town, in "essential services" but i really miss my family who i can't see, and i miss going about my normal life, quiet pint, golf, fishing ect.
    But i do get the op's point.
    When all this is over, we will go back to the me me society we had previously
    with no regard to our fellow humans, and of course the political situation the numbskulls in our country have left us with after the GE.
    God help us

I can’t imagine the political landscape changing too much. The kind of individual who we’ve had in politics, that type of person has been prevalent for decades... society I think might be a couple of percent more decent, kinder etc... I’m hopeful, a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

When I forget why I'm off I am in my element, I love being home alone. When I remember I am in bits. one person I know personally is on a ventilator with this already, and the thing has just started, it's terrifying. How many people am I going to lose? Are we going to lose? It's hard to think about anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's for the greater good.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I just really hope it wakes us up to how unsustainable our lives were before. Constant consumption and growth and totally unsustainable living, but that's what most people want to go back to. So we're going to have more and more of these global issues if we don't sort our sh*t out.

I honestly couldn't agree more with this.
    Constant growth is simply not possible. It doesn't exist in any system in nature. We need to find a steady state as opposed to aiming for and expecting infinite growth, because it's not a realistic or sustainable aspiration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

lozenges wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't agree more with this.
    Constant growth is simply not possible. It doesn't exist in any system in nature. We need to find a steady state as opposed to aiming for and expecting infinite growth, because it's not a realistic or sustainable aspiration.

Communism is interesting but has it ever worked ? Unfortunately greed is part of the human condition so it’ll never change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

That doesn't sound anything like communism. This makes it clear our economic system is built on getting us to do completely pointless and meaningless **** for money. Does it matter a toss if iphones aren't getting created right now? No, but it matters to the environment and to clean air for our lungs. If we need frivolous enterprise to sustain the economy and create jobs for everyone, fine, but aren't their frivolous things that don't hurt the environment? Art instead of iphones?

Communism is interesting but has it ever worked ? Unfortunately greed is part of the human condition so it’ll never change

Has it ever worked not really. But capitalism isn't working either, it's on a one way ticket to destruction. Maybe there's a happy medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

That doesn't sound anything like communism. This makes it clear our economic system is built on getting us to do completely pointless and meaningless **** for money. Does it matter a toss if iphones aren't getting created right now? No, but it matters to the environment and to clean air for our lungs. If we need frivolous enterprise to sustain the economy and create jobs for everyone, fine, but aren't their frivolous things that don't hurt the environment? Art instead of iphones?

Let's all become children of the forest

Ballso wrote: »
    Let's all become children of the forest

This is the type of childish nonsense you get from people who never think about the world enough to realise it's completely unsustainable how things are currently run.
    Any mention of doing things differently or consuming less is met with ridiculous comments about communism and hippies etc. It's depressing.

This is the type of childish nonsense you get from people who never think about the world enough to realise it's completely unsustainable how things are currently run.
    Any mention of doing things differently or consuming less is met with ridiculous comments about communism and hippies etc. It's depressing.

Sure it was facetious, but suggesting that modern communications technology has no value and should be abandoned is absurd.

Sure it was facetious, but suggesting that modern communications technology has no value and should be abandoned is absurd.

No one said that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes and no.

Liking the free time, but getting increasingly nervous that it's going to be like this for a while, possibly the entire summer. And no one is going to like it like this through the entire summer...

There's a lot of doom-mongerers out there that think we;ll be locked up until 2023 and they can just **** right off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No one said that though

I replied to a post that said it doesn't matter if iPhones are produced, try to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I assume anyone that prefers it now didn't have much of a life before this started and are now delighted that everyone else is as miserable as them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Personally I'm loving it. There is zero traffic. It's a joy driving round from job to job. Diesel today was 1.15 per litre today I'm autistic so would love social distancing to be the norm.

On the downside I haven't seen my mum who's in her mid 80s since Paddy's day and there was glass between us even then. I miss my Friday afternoon pint.

My wife is the most social in the family and she is suffering. She takes the dogs out for an hour or so but really misses meeting people.

I replied to a post that said it doesn't matter if iPhones are produced, try to keep up.

He said "does it matter a toss if iphones aren't getting created right now?"

and you interpreted this as
    modern communications technology has no value and should be abandoned

Maybe you should keep up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Trolling or not, this is a pretty dumb thread.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Jesus.

Crisis times bring out the best and the worst in some people.
    Some volunteer and help out others sit at home and spout bile and raw hatred.

I think they meant that they would prefer to have a tangible enemy to fight, rather than having to stay at home to save the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wake up sometimes and wonder if its all a dream.
    Only to realise no its definitely not a dream.
    Its like living in the 1920's

Most people on a daily basis only had a few miles range anyhow, not much employment.
    Families out strolling, some looking stressed others looking happy and content.

Got into my car yesterday to bring essentials to my parents who are living 35k away.
    They're cocooned.
    It was nice to, see them dad left me a hot stew made by mum, all in a plate covered in tinfoil,in the shed.
    We spoke a distance from the door, being aware of the suggested social distance etc.

Grabbed some power tools, as like everyone else im a DIY expert now.

A lot of philosophers, poets, artists and musicians are going to be putting out amazing work soon.

Its like world war 3 but this time nature turned on us, but thankfully we're not turning on each other.

I hope that there's no violence in anyone's homes due to this, that's a big factor anyone living with a narcissist or control freak, my heart goes out to them.

Seen a brute yesterday the local psycho out shopping and he had a load of cans and some cheese and a slice pan on the shop counter.
    I empathise with his wife and kids, he's a pr1ck.
    Small man syndrome, his wife's a lovely gentle lady. Always the same in these situations isn't it.
    And he in a muscle tshirt and around 2,000 euros worth of ink on his arms.
    Fake tan sure you know the type.
    Looks like Andy Bell with his head shaved

By the way I like Andy Bell I think his music is amazing, Erasure

Meanwhile the local Morten Harket lookalike is being the family man, and out with his two kids and they're all laughing and running up the road.

No sign of Bruce Springsteen yet, supposedly he's in Feakle Co Clare, probably April's Fool's.

Meanwhile the local Sabrina Salero lookalike is as gorgeous as ever.

Me in trying to keep the good side out and accepting whatever comes my way, as it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Don't know how you managed to infer from my post that I'm advocating for communism, hah. For the record I think communism is a massively worse system than unfettered capitalism. Fortunately it's not an either or.

If you accept that the world has finite resources, then for me it's obvious that infinite growth is impossible, and not desirable.
    For sustainability, climate reasons and also just the fact that I want to live in a society, not a massively individualistic state like the US where its every man for themselves and feck everyone else, I think a system like democratic socialism would be an improvement on pure free market capitalisation.

This is waaayyy off topic tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

NDWC wrote: »
    I assume anyone that prefers it now didn't have much of a life before this started and are now delighted that everyone else is as miserable as them

You presume wrong. There are plenty of people who enjoy their own company and live very full lives pursuing their hobbies, careers or academic pursuits. A happy life means different things to different people.

(Obviously, those that prefer the way of life now don't prefer living during a horrific pandemic. Its the resultant way of life they prefer. I doubt many would gladly have a pandemic to get the current way of life. Now that would be miserable!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im actually really enjoying not doing much but cant shake that underlying hum of anxiety that my family, friends or myself could become seriously ill any day now and possibly die, knowing that the health system is potentially going to break under the pressure of this pandemic, not knowing how this is all going to end and to add to the stress, corrupt governments are lying about whats going on. Theres an awful feeling of impending doom and a calm before the storm vibe. Apart from that though, I happy enough with a bit of time off work, 12 hour sleeps, getting stuff done that ive been putting off for months, also, all the nice fancy local restaurants are doing takeaway. It has it's up side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Great question. Yeah, I’m all in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I hate the carry on in the supermarkets, it is very anxiety provoking, the Tesco in Antrim even have a sign up warning people not to abuse their staff. Apart from that it doesn't change my life as I don't go out unless it is necessary anyway, it has highlighted to me what a strange individual I am, other humans must not stay indoors much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The daily routine is a bit different but still OK, every second week in the office so I'm getting out of the house. Apart from the obvious suffering and climbing mortality going on in the world which is shocking, I'm kinda liking some parts of how it is now and missing others parts pre COVID-19.

Parts I'm missing:

- The social interaction with my mates in work,
    the craic and banter.
    - Not being able to visit my parents or other family
    - Not being able to pop to the local for a quiet pint.
    - Not being able to go away for the weekend.
    - Not being able to plan holidays
    - Going for a quick browse in the shops and get whatever I wanted to buy there and then instead of waiting weeks for it to be delivered.

Parts I'm not missing:

- The traffic jams everytime you go into Dublin
    - Commuting on the train to/from work
    - Large crowds everywhere you go
    - The noise in general

Parts I'm liking:

- The peace and quiet of my town
    - Everyone seems to be looking out for each other
    - People actually seem fairly relaxed, considering the current situation, it's a bit weird but nice at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

McGaggs wrote: »
    I think they meant that they would prefer to have a tangible enemy to fight, rather than having to stay at home to save the country.

Ah. My apologies to Atlantic Dawn if that is the case. Thanks McGaggs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am miserable indoors yes but I would be even more miserable outdoors, I stay indoors as I find humans insufferable. Actually as I type this I am in a tesco car park and some humans are blasting rave music from their car which sums up my point nicely, you don't have to put up with that nonsense indoors.

The annoying thing about extroverts is that they expect everyone to be like them whereas introverts are more considerate. I don't have a problem with people wanting to be sociable as long as they keep away from me but extroverts always have a problem with quiet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yeah the elderly and those with underlying conditions are just loving this. Also all those now on the dole. Sure what's not to like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I could do with another few weeks of lockdown to get through the backlog of jobs I have to do 'back home'. Miss being able to go places for the weekend and meeting people. Back to work Monday, keeping the fish fingers arriving to the dinner plates of many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I despise this with a passion. Loved going off on little day trips in the car or hopping on the train to Dublin. Lots of random stuff like that. Going to the gym also but been doing home classes online but they aren’t the same.
    I dunno how anyone can sit for hours watching Netflix- but saying that I’m definitely spending more time online scrolling through everything and anything which definitely isn’t healthy. Might sound a bit melodramatic considering what others are going through but definitely one of the worst periods I’ve lived through. Grief and ****ty things in life that happened tended to be short lived and eased overtime but this is like being caught in a bad dream with no escape.

I'm enjoying the fact that the most useful people in society like healthcare workers, retail workers and people who work at all stages of the supply chain for both healthcare and retail are getting to be acknowledged for their valuable work, while parasites like many social-media 'influencers' and celebrities lay low, knowing they have no value to contribute to society in a crisis like this.

I'm enjoying the fact that the most useful people in society like healthcare workers, retail workers and people who work at all stages of the supply chain for each healthcare and retail are getting to be acknowledged for their valuable work, while parasites like many social-media 'influencers' and celebrities lay low, knowing they have no value to contribute to society in a crisis like this.

You haven’t seen Paddy Cosgrove on Twitter then? Everything you describe and more. An attention seeking useless prick if ever I saw one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The annoying thing about extroverts is that they expect everyone to be like them whereas introverts are more considerate. I don't have a problem with people wanting to be sociable as long as they keep away from me but extroverts always have a problem with quiet people.

I couldn't agree more about extroverts. It seems like an impossibility for them to accept (believe?) that others don't have the same definition of 'sociable' as they do.

The types that sit around watching tele in their PJs all day long are loving this crap as it’s taken as validation for their borderline meaningless existences. They have been usually the most vocally “ shut everything down” merchants on social media as it doesn’t effect their non productive lives- once the social money is still coming through, they can buy pizzas from Tesco and watch Sky they couldn’t be happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

You obviously never got out much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nthclare wrote: »
    I wake up sometimes and wonder if its all a dream.
    Only to realise no its definitely not a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's not too bad for me - I'm still working (from home), weather has been dry, grand stretch in the evening, so I've done as much walking as i can, constant WhatsApps and phone/video calls. Plenty to read/watch/listen to. Housework and clearing out/organising to be done. And time for just reflecting and breathing. Dabbling in yoga/mindfulness/meditation. Trying new recipes. Have thrown my name into the mix for voluntary work.

One day at a time. Not reading or watching or listening to anything virus related any longer (apart from this thread). It was giving me dreadful anxiety when I was looking it all up.

Not even checking the daily figures for Ireland. Keeping perspective - it could be an awful lot worse (this doesn't work for everyone but helps me hugely). Could be Italy, could be November/December/January, could be 25 years ago without all the communication possibilities.

But I know that there are folk going through an awful time with health issues, money issues, and poor psychological well-being. So my list isn't much use to them. And it's a never-ending nightmare for healthcare workers.

Like most, I will be glad when this is over. I couldn't possibly bring myself to "prefer" this, but it is what it is, so I have to make the best of it. And I feel blessed that I'm one of the luckier ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement