Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kind of upgrade....ish

Options
  • 03-04-2020 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Hi all- I know what the real answer is but I don't think, as of right now, I want to change out a bunch of components. With that said, if one wanted to keep an i7-2600k alive for a bit longer, and wanted to change out the motherboard, any kind soul want to offer up a recommendation for same? If I do, I will probably grab Hyper 212 EVO to cool it and see how far I can push it.

For reference, the major parts of the rest of the build are:

-Rx 580 Nitro+ 8gb
    -16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3
    -Corsair TX750-80 plus
    -256gb Gigastone SSD

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That gen CPU is starting to show its age, seems like a waste to spend money upgrading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

A new graphics card isn't too bad as you can always carry that over later, but a new motherboard, no way. The 2600K is worth about €60, it's amazing how long it has lasted, but definitely wouldn't put anymore money into that platform.

If you're gaming at 1080P, something like a GTX1660 Super is a good upgrade and not very expensive overall considering what you would get for the RX580.

If your motherboard has actually failed and you really don't want to build new....you could just get a €40 2nd hand S1155 board from Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Best option is to try an overclock and see how you go. Adding a faster secondhand processor to your existing platform wouldn't give you a lot in terms of speed.

I was in a similar position and upgraded from an i5 3750k this week. I went for a Ryzen 3600, MSI B450 Tomohawk Mobo, 16GB of 3200 DDR4 RAM and a Hyper 212 CPU cooler.

It's early days, but it is a significant upgrade even from a 3570K that had a decent overclock. Without doing any overclocking on the 3600, I'm seeing a good increase in speed. I mainly use X-Plane which is very recource hungry and see a 40% increase in FPS.

Total cost was around €420. I was able to reuse my case, PSU, fans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Homelander wrote: »

If your motherboard has actually failed and you really don't want to build new....you could just get a €40 2nd hand S1155 board from Ebay.

Motherboard is fine, just won't allow me to bump the cpu or the ram. That's the dangers of stock intel i guess.
    Tropheus wrote: »
    Best option is to try an overclock and see how you go. Adding a faster secondhand processor to your existing platform wouldn't give you a lot in terms of speed.

I'd love to but the board won't actually let me. And i'm not really in the market for any kind of upgrade, given the current economic climate. I was kind of thinking that if I could find a secondhand board for cheap, and throw a 212 Evo on as they are cheap too, I might eek another 8 or 12 months out of it before I have to start thinking about proper upgrades. If I change for a newer board, I also have to go for a CPU and Ram- staying as I am for now could get me in for less than a ton.

I do appreciate the platform is old, but it's a cost saving measure. As it stands it's flying away anyway so it's not essential. Cheers all for your input so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The i7-2700K was outdated once the Ryzen 1200/1300X released.

I saw one on Adverts for €35: https://www.adverts.ie/memory/ryzen-3-1200/20020491

It honestly would be cheaper to hunt down a cheap Ryzen & B350/B450 mobo than an OC-capable LGA 1155 mobo.

Also instead of Hyper 212, seek out the cheaper & better Arctic 34 or 33 Esports; or the cheap Antec C400 / A400 RGB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just keep trucking then until you can afford a new PC I would say. For an actual meaningful system upgrade you would need to be hitting a Ryzen 2600/GTX1660 combo really at a minimum.

Putting money into the platform isn't worth it. Even 2nd hand, a good overclocking board then the Evo 212 will set you back probably €100-120....it won't add any value to the system.

You would be better off selling the 2600K/16GB/Board for €150 and buying a Ryzen 2600, A320M and 16GB 3200Mhz for the €100 extra it would end up costing, the performance would be much better, and you would have brand new platform with DDR4.

Homelander wrote: »
    Just keep trucking then until you can afford a new PC I would say. For an actual meaningful system upgrade you would need to be hitting a Ryzen 2600/GTX1660 combo really at a minimum.

Putting money into the platform isn't worth it. Even 2nd hand, a good overclocking board then the Evo 212 will set you back probably €100-120....it won't add any value to the system.

You would be better off selling the 2600K/16GB/Board for €150 and buying a Ryzen 2600, A320M and 16GB 3200Mhz for the €100 extra it would end up costing, the performance would be much better, and you would have brand new platform with DDR4.

Theres something in this I guess, I'll have to investigate further. I'll hold as I am for now and see what way we come out of it in a few weeks.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The i7-2700K was outdated once the Ryzen 1200/1300X released.

I saw one on Adverts for €35: https://www.adverts.ie/memory/ryzen-3-1200/20020491

It honestly would be cheaper to hunt down a cheap Ryzen & B350/B450 mobo than an OC-capable LGA 1155 mobo.

Also instead of Hyper 212, seek out the cheaper & better Arctic 34 or 33 Esports; or the cheap Antec C400 / A400 RGB.

Right, fudge it- Ryzen 5 2600x and B450 Aoris M is £209 on AWD, I think I can work with that. I like the Versa H18 for a new case, I'll reuse the Rx 580 , the drives and maybe the PSU, so it's just what ram is the question. Once I have it all going I have another lower spec PSU that I can reuse into the i7 build, stick in a GTX 770, and hopefully claw a few quid back.

On the above, any recommendations for a case that can fit 2 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5", most of the ones I like the look of are 1 & 2, except for the Fractal Meshify C or the Thermaltake H17

Coolermaster MasterBox NR600, Corsair Carbide 270R, Phanteks P300A Air/P400A, Riotoro CR400

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Coolermaster MasterBox NR600, Corsair Carbide 270R

In your opinion, either of those better or worse than the other? A quick check leans me more to the NR600

The NR600 is probably better; it won a Gamers Nexus award IIRC.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Right, fudge it- Ryzen 5 2600x and B450 Aoris M is £209 on AWD, I think I can work with that. I like the Versa H18 for a new case, I'll reuse the Rx 580 , the drives and maybe the PSU, so it's just what ram is the question. Once I have it all going I have another lower spec PSU that I can reuse into the i7 build, stick in a GTX 770, and hopefully claw a few quid back.

Small change of mind, same board but with a 3600 instead, for £20 more. Will probably grab a new modular PSU too, for the sake of 60 quid.

Quick update-

Ordered the Tomahawk Max and 3600x bundle from AWD. Looking at the Corsair TX750M from Scan (same price as the 650w currently), decided on the 270r after looking into it all further. Just the ram now and I'll be fairly set.

Wondering does anyone know how long do AWD usually take to dispatch via DPD to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I ordered a Tomahawk Max from them a couple of weeks ago. I ordered it on a Sunday evening and got it the following Thursday morning via DPD.

I didn't get any update from them bar acknowledging the order and my order status didn't show as shipped on their website. They also didn't answer an email I sent asking for a status. However, all immaterial is it arrived very quickly.

Just an update:

Everything is here except the PSU, which i'm hoping will be along Tuesday/Wednesday.

Went with the following:

Corsair 270r
    Msi B450 Tomahawk Max
    Ryzen 5 3600x (stock cooler)
    Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 3600 C18
    Corsair TX750M PSU
    RX 580 Nitro+ 8gb (the only holdover)

Added in 3 extra 120mm PWM fans, have a 240gb SSD en-route for boot, and from the existing machine a 480gb SSD for games and a 1tb for general storage.

In fairness, it took on a life of it's own after initially wanting to just upgrade the mobo but I have to say, I appreciate the input from ye all, and the little nudge to do it right :P

Good stuff. make sure to post a photo of the finished build.

Good stuff. make sure to post a photo of the finished build.

I will, against probably sound advice I have it assembled except for the PSU, but the respective cables are about 650mm long and there's plenty of room around the board to sling through for CPU and ATX power, so I will only have to fit it in and connect, thankfully.

Cable management was fairly easy too, did a minor adjustment on the panel covering the PSU so as to loop the audio and fan connectors under it rather than stringing across the top, looks clean but the cut is a small bit faffy, a suggestion of a small amount of tape underneath or needle and black thread to hide it was put forward, once I have the PSU in hand I'll have a look and see which. Other than that, everything looks clean to my eyes.Also, there won't be a hint of RGB except for the GPU :pac:

Before I turn this on, I have a quick question related to the PSU/GPU. The TX750M is semi modular, and as such there are two 6+2/4+4 slots on it. The cables that come are 8 pin to 16, which is split into two 6+2 heads. The RX580 is powered by 1x8 pin (required) and 1x6 pin (optional, required if overclocking). Can I power the card with one of those 8 to 16, or do I need to populate both PCIE ports on the PSU?

Advertisement