Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security system

Options
  • 03-04-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Ok, never had one installed before, but insurers now prefer me to have one. Totally new to this.
    It's a 4 bed double storey detached. What's reliable and decent that won't break the bank? Not interested in phone watch with monthly fees/bills. Prefer a once off system.
    What's out there that would satisfy the insurers?
    Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ok, never had one installed before, but insurers now prefer me to have one. Totally new to this.
    It's a 4 bed double storey detached. What's reliable and decent that won't break the bank? Not interested in phone watch with monthly fees/bills. Prefer a once off system.
    What's out there that would satisfy the insurers?
    Many thanks in advance

Insurance companies don't require an alarm *, they will offer a discount if you have one, but most of us recommend not taking this up, even if you have an alarm.

What if you forget to turn on the alarm or it is faulty when you suffer a break in? It opens you up to the insurance company not paying out or paying out less.

In my experience, if you call them up, ask for a quote without the alarm and when they give it to you, say thanks but you got a 10% cheaper quote elsewhere, they will normally give you the discount, without actually needing an alarm.

Having said all that, it is a good idea to have an alarm, but don't let insurance companies drive that on you.

* Assuming you aren't a high net worth individual, with tens of thousands of jewellery, etc. in your home, that can then trigger you having to have an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

bk wrote: »
    Insurance companies don't require an alarm *, they will offer a discount if you have one, but most of us recommend not taking this up, even if you have an alarm.

What if you forget to turn on the alarm or it is faulty when you suffer a break in? It opens you up to the insurance company not paying out or paying out less.

In my experience, if you call them up, ask for a quote without the alarm and when they give it to you, say thanks but you got a 10% cheaper quote elsewhere, they will normally give you the discount, without actually needing an alarm.

Having said all that, it is a good idea to have an alarm, but don't let insurance companies drive that on you.

* Assuming you aren't a high net worth individual, with tens of thousands of jewellery, etc. in your home, that can then trigger you having to have an alarm.

Many thanks. Will see what they come back with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

how did you get on with your research ? did you find a suitable alarm?

tech wrote: »
    how did you get on with your research ? did you find a suitable alarm?

Not yet, will look into it further after covid situation improves. There's a local guy that has to get back to me with a quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If starting off without a current alarm I would be looking at a smart alarm system.

This is a good option: https://ajax.systems/

BUt you have loads available. Worth checking in automation thread about it. Your standard alarm guys knocking around Ireland are installing a system based on how big of a margin they can make on it

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If starting off without a current alarm I would be looking at a smart alarm system.

This is a good option: https://ajax.systems/

BUt you have loads available. Worth checking in automation thread about it. Your standard alarm guys knocking around Ireland are installing a system based on how big of a margin they can make on it

It's a good system alright, but homesecure are the sole agents here and there's a monthly monitoring fee similar to phonewatch. And according to some advice on here, it's a closed system, and no good when subscription comes to an end(that's my understanding).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's a good system alright, but homesecure are the sole agents here and there's a monthly monitoring fee similar to phonewatch. And according to some advice on here, it's a closed system, and no good when subscription comes to an end(that's my understanding).

Check the automation forum, you can buy direct from suppliers in Europe and install yourself and self monitor yourself. You don't need home secure

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052081

Thread here

Advertisement