Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorsat outage?

• 03-04-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Noticed that signal strength on saorsat dropped significantly the last few days, with mostly no signal.
    This morning it is back to full power. Didn't make any local changes.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Haven't noticed anything unusual here. I read somewhere that satellites need minor positioning corrections every now and then. If you are in a fringe area a slight deviation might be more noticeable. OR I could be talking pure BS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Haven't noticed anything unusual here. I read somewhere that satellites need minor positioning corrections every now and then. If you are in a fringe area a slight deviation might be more noticeable. OR I could be talking pure BS :)

Definitely not BS :)

I’m not sure about the situation these days. But, fado fado, it was the subject of much discussion. There was a trade off between the life of a satellite and the accuracy of its orbital position. Less accurate meant less fuel used and greater lifespan. However, if the orbital drift became too great, focus at the earth station end of the link could be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Ah, so would the network centre have corrected the issue?

Don't reckon it was issue with my set up.

What I have in mind would be controlled by Eutelsat or whoever controls/monitors the actual bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Unlikely to have been sun outages, but I have seen them often on various Ku band satellites. They only happen in daylight at any location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

• Advertisement

It seems to be happening again this morning. Anyone else noticing it?

All seems normal here in North Midlands Ireland at 08:25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Clear line of sight to satellikte?
    Maybe some new "spring growth" at a distance making an appearance?
    And variability due to wind?

Booms wrote: »
    Clear line of sight to satellikte?
    Maybe some new "spring growth" at a distance making an appearance?
    And variability due to wind?

Nothing new in the way as far as I can see. Probably fringe reception but odd that it goes from 60% strength to 0 very quickly.

Advertisement