Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss Cheese help

Options
  • 03-04-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, first time plant Mammy here.

I have a beautiful swiss cheese plant, called Roberta 😉 I got her from a garden centre in September last year and reported her as per the lady in the centres advice. She has had two shoots turn into leaves in this time and most of her leaves have the holes in them. She gets watered when the top few inches of her soil is dry and she is sprayed with water two times a week. She lives in a sunny room but not in direct sunlight.

But, her roots seem sad. As do the edges of her new shoots. What am I doing wrong? How can I help her live her best life?

I don’t have fertiliser or more compost, I wonder if I could order from a hardware store?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To me, that looks like a very healthy plant! The leaves could do with a bit of "shiner spray" (sorry, not sure if that's the actual name for it), but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

New Home wrote: »
    To me, that looks like a very healthy plant! The leaves could do with a bit of "shiner spray" (sorry, not sure if that's the actual name for it), but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it at all. :)

Even her brown roots? I’ll tell her you see her as healthy, I’m sure she’d love that! Thanks for the response :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, that's how they're supposed to look - as far as I know, those are the plants that would make lianas (like the ones Tarzan used to fly around) in their natural environments, they've aerial roots which do look brown and flaky when they're mature.

Tell Roberta she's gorgeous! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

New Home wrote: »
    Yes, that's how they're supposed to look - as far as I know, those are the plants that would make lianas (like the ones Tarzan used to fly around) in their natural environments, they've aerial roots which do look brown and flaky when they're mature.

Tell Roberta she's gorgeous! :)

Ah - such an interesting stat about Tarzan. Won't tell Roberta tho, it might go to her head/roots haha! Thanks again, hopefully she stays happy!

Advertisement