Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 03-04-2020 1:59pm

Unlike Winston Smith in 1984 I have been a good citizen and not left the house since last Friday when the lock down was announced.

Working from home and sporting a now epic mane of a pandemic beard.

How have the Federales been enforcing the lock down in Dublin city centre?

Is there check points and goon squads dragging people of buses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Plenty of people going about their business in the city centre. Guards are fairly visible but don't see them approaching anybody who is minding their business.

Cheers. It if a fellow wanted to visit his girlfriend for a few hours on Saturday Fairview to Rathgar sort of distance he should be okay to make the trip unmolested?

Before I get a lecture, I work from home haven't seen anyone in weeks, she is out of work due to the plague, lives alone and hasn't seen anyone either and I plan to walk rather than use public transport so the chance of contaminating anyone is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cheers. It if a fellow wanted to visit his girlfriend for a few hours on Saturday Fairview to Rathgar sort of distance he should be okay to make the trip unmolested?

Before I get a lecture, I work from home haven't seen anyone in weeks, she is out of work due to the plague, lives alone and hasn't seen anyone either and I plan to walk rather than use public transport so the chance of contaminating anyone is zero.

Firstly that's a walk of more than 2km.

All that aside you are not supposed to visit another household. It's there in black and white, "you cannot arrange a gathering with anybody you do not live with" don't do it!! https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

I live alone, my oh lives alone. We have not seen each other in 3 weeks. We are doing what we have been told to do in order not to prolong the lockdown.

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of couples in the same situation. You are not unique. Stay at home!

Fair point. Moving swiftly along before people on the internet shout at me.

I was thinking about this the other day: surely if YOU're living alone AND SHE's living alone, then surely ye can be each other's 'isolation buddy'?

Or am I missing something?

If either one of you were sharing then it wouldn't be okay, but in this instance, then I don't see why not?

I was thinking about it in terms of older people living alone - couldn't living-alone friends house share for the duration? Once you stick with one 'buddy', then it's still containing it?

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this the other day: surely if YOU're living alone AND SHE's living alone, then surely ye can be each other's 'isolation buddy'?

Or am I missing something?

If either one of you were sharing then it wouldn't be okay, but in this instance, then I don't see why not?

I was thinking about it in terms of older people living alone - couldn't living-alone friends house share for the duration? Once you stick with one 'buddy', then it's still containing it?

No, it's too late. Needed to move before last Friday.

So, how about this scenario:

After 2 weeks of isolation, government keeps same rules in place? Both parties have been in isolation, so are covid-free - could they take the plunge?

So, how about this scenario:

After 2 weeks of isolation, government keeps same rules in place? Both parties have been in isolation, so are covid-free - could they take the plunge?

If the same rules are in place, the same rules apply. Until we get permission to associate with people we don't live with for non essential purposes the answer is no. The rules were signed into law last weekend.

It just seems so unfair that if you happen to live on your own then that's it for the foreseeable....:(

Virtual hugs for all the people on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Does abstaining from shaving halt the spread of Covid?

• Advertisement

I hope so. I currently look like great grizzly Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Anyone know if any phone repair shops are open? Phone is acting up and need it to WFH, I see from the government list phone repairs and offer emergency call-out or delivery services but can't find anyone who does that. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It just seems so unfair that if you happen to live on your own then that's it for the foreseeable....:(

I bet you all I own that 90% of people at home with their families would swap places with you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

Dodge wrote: »
    I bet you all I own that 90% of people at home with their families would swap places with you

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Anyone know if any phone repair shops are open? Phone is acting up and need it to WFH, I see from the government list phone repairs and offer emergency call-out or delivery services but can't find anyone who does that. Any ideas?
    Maxburns.ie on the Belgard road are open for phone and computer repairs but they will collect, repair and return. The shopfront is not open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Unlike Winston Smith in 1984 I have been a good citizen and not left the house since last Friday when the lock down was announced.

Working from home and sporting a now epic mane of a pandemic beard.

How have the Federales been enforcing the lock down in Dublin city centre?

Is there check points and goon squads dragging people of buses?

If you do decide to go, wait at least 14 days after you last had contact with another person.

If its only 7 days since you were last out and about you could still be in the incubation period. Same for your girlfriend.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The regulations are quite clear. You seem to understand them very well too. Nothing more needs to be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

AulWan wrote: »
    Maxburns.ie on the Belgard road are open for phone and computer repairs but they will collect, repair and return. The shopfront is not open.

Thank you, I just emailed them!

AulWan wrote: »
    If you do decide to go, wait at least 14 days after you last had contact with another person.

If its only 7 days since you were last out and about you could still be in the incubation period. Same for your girlfriend.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Yeah we had a "Skype Date" last night all you can do. Jarvis Cocker is streaming a gig live tonight might watch that as well.

Got to go out to Lidl in Drumcondra now for provisions shortly. I have developed severe agoraphobia over the past week.

Why not temporarily move in together?

• Advertisement

Why not temporarily move in together?

Cos you're not supposed/allowed to?

Caranica wrote: »

If they live alone already, I don't see the harm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I live in the City Centre. Quite a few places open. Chemists, Newsagents, Burger King (take away only), GPO.

Did see Gardai breaking up a group of non-nationals who were hanging about at the top of Henry St but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

As somebody with covid 19 who is isolating along with his wife (health care worker)with covid 19 and small children to think about in the same house - you and the other guy thinking it's ok to bend the rules to suit your own selfish needs are no help to society at all. Trust me,you don't want to be in our current predicament now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Both living alone, can people not use a bit of common sense here? This isn't India or China, if you are careful I don't see any problem with you going to stay with her for the isolation period, taking for granted that you are being responsible about it and going straight from A to B without any other human contact after you've both already been isolated.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Both living alone, can people not use a bit of common sense here? This isn't India or China, if you are careful I don't see any problem with you going to stay with her for the isolation period, taking for granted that you are being responsible about it and going straight from A to B without any other human contact after you've both already been isolated.

Read the post above yours. We have been told what we need to do. Anyone who doesn't risks prolonging it for everyone. If it was safe to move in we'd have been told so.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Dodge wrote: »

As an introvert and living alone ,i am loving this social distancing .Its not a lock down.I go out twice a day for 2 km walks and to shop ,wearing a mask .

Read the post above yours. We have been told what we need to do. Anyone who doesn't risks prolonging it for everyone. If it was safe to move in we'd have been told so.

There are risks in one person moving from a crowded house to another crowded house.

What are the risks involved in one isolated person moving in with another isolated person?

I know what the guidelines are, that doesn't mean we can't discuss the finer details.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Please use your common sense.

If two people who live on their own in neighboring homes, and have been isolated for 14 days, decide to move in together there is no risk of spreading the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

If she and you didn't go out like shopping, for example, in the last two weeks or are not planning to do it in the next two weeks, so it would make common sense to meet because you would only be threat to each other. But it is unlikely...

I am in self isolation now for the last 3 weeks. My OH stays in his house for the last 3 weeks as well. Today is his birthday and we are only meeting online. I've bought a cake, he blew a candle in his place. That's how life looks like now.

I am not here to judge you. At the end it is between you and your conscience.

Advertisement