Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown in Dublin City Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

JoChervil wrote: »
    At the end it is between you and your conscience.

This isn't correct. If people are careless it will effect more people than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

baords wrote: »
    This isn't correct. If people are careless it will effect more people than themselves.

Were have I said it won't?

I only stresses out that he will have to live with consequences of his actions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Is there anywhere open for take out coffee, in the CC? Nero's on O'Connell St was a week ago but is now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Biker79 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere open for take out coffee, in the CC? Nero's on O'Connell St was a week ago but is now closed.

I imagine the likes of Centra and Spar are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Plenty of shops are still open. fresh on Camden street is one close to me still doing take away coffee.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Frank and Honest self service machines?

Was hankering for a barista coffee TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many corner shops are closing early in the city centre.

The 2 shops on dame Street and George's street are open, coffee etc ...

Just be careful as huge amount of drug addicts around.

Yep - junkies, drunks and feral teeenagers...at least there is a decent garda presence.

Henry St this morning was awful. Rough sleepers and rubbish everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Burger King next to Supermacs has been open anytime I've been passing.

Not sure what hours though.

Burger King next to Supermacs has been open anytime I've been passing.

Not sure what hours though.

Delivery only I hope....

All I see is deliveroo drivers and cyclists all over these places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Delivery only I hope....

All I see is deliveroo drivers and cyclists all over these places.

Takeaway and delivery. I walked past it yesterday and in fairness there's a lot of space for social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Rules are rules - yes
    People isolating with 4,5,6 people are in a very different situation than those living alone, and have far more contacts.
    We all know two people self isolating for 2 weeks are fine to then live together in the same way as a couple who already lived together were fine to live together when this all started. Everyone's lives are different and the household measure was a way to make the rules clear. Two people completely isolated for 2 weeks then moving in together would be no different than another couple living together. If people are happy living alone for weeks on end then that is one thing, but circumstances can change and in my view, these rules are important but I know in New Zealand people in isolation were allowed to form a bubble with another person in isolation and they both self isolate only seeing each other. This seems a lot fairer to people living alone in my view if this goes on for a lot longer then it is very tough on anyone living alone. Health is the most important thing and what needs to be done should.be done but we can all use our common sense here and know that two people living alone and self isolating can move in together and they would be risking a lot less than groups of 4, 5 , 6s that live together at the moment who are also going to supermarket etc still. Thats my view on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gradmedgirl

Caranica wrote: »
    Firstly that's a walk of more than 2km.

All that aside you are not supposed to visit another household. It's there in black and white, "you cannot arrange a gathering with anybody you do not live with" don't do it!! https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

I live alone, my oh lives alone. We have not seen each other in 3 weeks. We are doing what we have been told to do in order not to prolong the lockdown.

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of couples in the same situation. You are not unique. Stay at home!

Cool rule - but if you're a driver and both you and your partner are in relatively good shape - I'm all for seeing each other, and have been since the "lockdown"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cool rule - but if you're a driver and both you and your partner are in relatively good shape - I'm all for seeing each other, and have been since the "lockdown"

People who decide they know better are going to prolong this for all of us who are complying. Thanks a bunch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I counted 14 garda vehicles patrolling the city centre on friday over the course of 2 hours.

Checkpoints in city centre are everywhere, get out on the motorway and nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I counted 14 garda vehicles patrolling the city centre on friday over the course of 2 hours.

The Gardas are probably trying to deter looters.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Rules are rules - yes
    People isolating with 4,5,6 people are in a very different situation than those living alone, and have far more contacts.
    We all know two people self isolating for 2 weeks are fine to then live together in the same way as a couple who already lived together were fine to live together when this all started. Everyone's lives are different and the household measure was a way to make the rules clear. Two people completely isolated for 2 weeks then moving in together would be no different than another couple living together. If people are happy living alone for weeks on end then that is one thing, but circumstances can change and in my view, these rules are important but I know in New Zealand people in isolation were allowed to form a bubble with another person in isolation and they both self isolate only seeing each other. This seems a lot fairer to people living alone in my view if this goes on for a lot longer then it is very tough on anyone living alone. Health is the most important thing and what needs to be done should.be done but we can all use our common sense here and know that two people living alone and self isolating can move in together and they would be risking a lot less than groups of 4, 5 , 6s that live together at the moment who are also going to supermarket etc still. Thats my view on it anyway.

That's a really smart and sensible thing to do by NZ.

Delivery only I hope....

Take away also. Counter is marked off and floor also so no different to Lidl etc really.

Boots in Jervis is also open and M&S have a few aisles from their clothing dept rolled into the food court also for anyone that might be needing some new smalls.

Argos I feel should have at least one branch open and make people pay either online or at their quick pay terminals given they are ideally suited for social distancing given how very little interaction is needed with the customer and how much space tends to be in their shops.

They'd have made a mint from hair grooming products alone if the complaining I keep hearing from those deprived of hairdressers and barbers is anything to go by :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Argos I feel should have at least one branch open and make people pay either online or at their quick pay terminals given they are ideally suited for social distancing given how very little interaction is needed with the customer and how much space tends to be compliant

What about the back end staff and the conditions the night have to work in Which may not be suitable for social distancing? I watched a piece tonight on issues at Amazon and the increasing numbers of their workers getting the virus.

• Advertisement

Yeah, an issue for sure, but no different to what's going on behind the scenes in the supermarkets really.

I know the argument is well we need food and Argos is not really stuff that is essential, but I need a Remington HC4250 dammit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Yeah, an issue for sure, but no different to what's going on behind the scenes in the supermarkets really.

I know the argument is well we need food and Argos is not really stuff that is essential, but I need a Remington HC4250 dammit!!

Check in your local chemist for a hair trimmer. My husband got one there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The Gardas are probably trying to deter looters.

There was a robbery in Grafton Street (North Face), see other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im in D8, and my 2km circle means I can cover O'connell bridge to kimainham jail and south to harolds cross/rathmines. I found myself doing a lot more running/cycling and making the most of getting out of the house to exercise, as working form home is getting monotonous. In my runs around the city, there is a marked difference between the city centre & the more residential areas - There are some amount of walkrs/joggers on the canal and the rounds around, portobello, harolds cross etc. However the city centre is a complete ghost town - Dame st/temple bar, baggot st, merrion sq are complete ghost towns, hardly a bus or a bike going around, the only people I see in town are junkies, openly dealing, using, shuffling about in groups of 4-5 etc. With the increased garda presence about and the lack of any people except the ne'er-do-wells, you think it would be like shooting fish in a barrel catching them!

With extra time for reflection, I cant help but think of a wishlist that the current situation might help facilitate.

Top of that list is to sort out the level of degeneracy in the city centre. I'm old enough to remember the 80s and 90s, when there wasn't as much money floating around. But the level of degeneracy back then was much lower than today. Why that is, is a mystery.

With extra time for reflection, I cant help but think of a wishlist that the current situation might help facilitate.

Top of that list is to sort out the level of degeneracy in the city centre. I'm old enough to remember the 80s and 90s, when there wasn't as much money floating around. But the level of degeneracy back then was much lower than today. Why that is, is a mystery.

Unfortunately we are going to be going into these types of times where those with it won't spend and those that want to can't as they won't have enough....

Unfortunately we are going to be going into these types of times where those with it won't spend and those that want to can't as they won't have enough....

You're probably right.

What is public transport going through the city like?

Deserted? Are the law men harassing people on it?

What is public transport going through the city like?

Deserted? Are the law men harassing people on it?

Very quiet, some routes still carrying more then others but max on a sg type is 18.... 12 seats upstairs and 6 downstairs....

Garda are checking some and just making sure people are sitting apart.

The signs don't work for the stupid though, they look at them then proceed to sit on them and there are quite a few ripping them off and throwing on the floor and out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Advertisement