Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than or grester than keys.

Options
  • 03-04-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Im running office 365 personal edition, I cant find these keys anywhere, using mostly excel and it goes mental if I try to use them from word.

Google gives me a lot of options that don't work or unrecognised on the version Im using.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't understand, you have these keys on your keyboard yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Do you mean < and > or ≤ and ≥ ? The first two are standard on your keyboard, the other two you can use character codes.

https://www.alt-codes.net/

Alt + 243 for ≤
    Alt + 242 for ≥

And Alt + x to paste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

biko wrote: »
    I don't understand, you have these keys on your keyboard yeah?
    Not on the keyboard.

What happens when you press "Shift" and "full stop" on your keyboard?

Bredabe wrote: »
    Not on the keyboard.

Google the alt keys for them. Strange they aren't on your keyboard

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    Do you mean < and > or ≤ and ≥ ? The first two are standard on your keyboard, the other two you can use character codes.

https://www.alt-codes.net/

Alt + 243 for ≤
    Alt + 242 for ≥

And Alt + x to paste

Yes, those first two symbols,
    Not visible on the HP I'm on now,
    I tried those codes and they don't work either.

This is it wrote: »
    Google the alt keys for them. Strange they aren't on your keyboard
    Yes I found it odd as well, google give me codes like mentioned above and it doesn't work.

Yes, those first two symbols,
    Not visible on the HP I'm on now,
    I tried those codes and they don't work either.

What model is your computer or laptop?

For example HP E1770

What happens when you press "Shift" and "full stop" on your keyboard?

Error tone and nothing on screen,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Could you take a picture showing the keys on your keyboard?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Guru found that these keys had been switched out to prevent ppl using work computers for domestic purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Guru found that these keys had been switched out to prevent ppl using work computers for domestic purposes.

That makes no sense at all to me. For one thing replacing the key wouldn't take away the functionality in the software behind the key press. Plus how often are those keys even required for 'domestic purposes'!

mordeith wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all to me. For one thing replacing the key wouldn't take away the functionality in the software behind the key press. Plus how often are those keys even required for 'domestic purposes'!
    I cant speak as to the functionality, but in terms of work computers being used for domestic purposes, that happens a lot in some branches. Ppl like to rebel against the rules and then I end up with a computer that doesn't work the way it should.

Only use I can think of for the '>' key in a 'domestic' situation is to redirect STDOUT in DOS (usually the screen) to store a DIR listing in a file ... 'dir *.* > files.txt'

In a 'work' situation those keys are absolutely critical in just about any programming language or something like Microsoft Excel to input the 'Greater Than' and 'Less than' operators.

The logic seems a little about face.

Just saying...

Only use I can think of for the '>' key in a 'domestic' situation is to redirect STDOUT in DOS (usually the screen) to store a DIR listing in a file ... 'dir *.* > files.txt'

In a 'work' situation those keys are absolutely critical in just about any programming language or something like Microsoft Excel to input the 'Greater Than' and 'Less than' operators.

The logic seems a little about face.

Just saying...
    Domistic in this case means when ppl use their work computers to do nixers or unauthorised courses.
    In my case Im doing an excel course which has been ok'ed, I assume the compguru released one that had been decommissioned in the way most used in the latest batch of infractions.

Considering how simple the question is the whole thing makes no sense, at all.

I stand corrected but thank you for giving me an excuse to boot up an old, old copy of DOS 1.1 in a Virtual Machine just for a nostalgia fix :)

If I remember correctly, some HP keyboard drivers from a couple of years ago had a bug with some key mappings, might be something to look at if your keyboard has the '<' & '>' vertically on 1 key to the right of the Alt-Gr key - those keys generated a 'Right-Ctrl' code if I remember correctly. If so, you can remap the keys using a key map utility (But, as it is a work computer this is probably not an option)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks to this thread I now know where

are ........ Alt Gr +, and Alt Gr+.

I use them so rarely I will probably have forgotten where there by the next time I need them :)

The way I see it, comp guru has given me a computer that works for its purpose, the in's and out's of the other one are above my paygrade.

Thanks again for all your help.

* This thread will self destruct............when a mode gets around to deleting it.

Clearly doesn't work for it's purpose, but anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thread closed as per OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement