Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They are letting 500 people into Croke Park for an event at the end of the month at the same time as limiting GAA attendances to 200!

If they are consistent they will either cancel or impose similar limits.

This event's capacity is being downsized, will be about 200 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭shmeee

You mean you record the game for your club usually, but also want to live stream the game??? Not sure you would get away with that as most county boards will be looking into streaming games themselves (eg in Galway & Roscommon, they have a deal done with Nemeton).

The board have authorised permission for set games so that's not an issue for the games were are going to stream (Not senior matches).

We record the games anyway with permission from the board and worst case can upload to YouTube 3/4 hours after the match or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

shmeee wrote: »
    The board have authorised permission for set games so that's not an issue for the games were are going to stream (Not senior matches).

We record the games anyway with permission from the board and worst case can upload to YouTube 3/4 hours after the match or so.

Aah I see. I have recorded matches for my club in the past and I know I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to stream it live while its happening! I'd upload it later.

Aah I see. I have recorded matches for my club in the past and I know I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to stream it live while its happening! I'd upload it later.

Just sussing it out.

The board said no supporters allowded at the game at the weekend and that's why we are thinking of trying to get it streamed live.

A good few bits need to fall into place. I was out at the pitch where it's on and the 4g coverage is very impressive, 55mbps download and 12mbps upload speeds so internet should be ok. Getting power is the next issue.

Just sussing it out.

The board said no supporters allowded at the game at the weekend and that's why we are thinking of trying to get it streamed live.

A good few bits need to fall into place. I was out at the pitch where it's on and the 4g coverage is very impressive, 55mbps download and 12mbps upload speeds so internet should be ok. Getting power is the next issue.

If its a ground that has some sort of a press area, then there is likely to be a power point in there.

• Advertisement

If its a ground that has some sort of a press area, then there is likely to be a power point in there.

This is a village field is all. Would need to run an extension reel about 200 yards to find a power source is the problem.

This is a village field is all. Would need to run an extension reel about 200 yards to find a power source is the problem.

dressing rooms then I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Quote: ReginaldSmythV
    There’s a reason it’s contained. It didn’t happen by accident.

quote="mountgomery burns;114049471"]What in your view is the reason it has been contained?[/quote]

Well come on, we know you're not shy...

This is an interesting report from Derry

https://www.derrynow.com/news/home/559093/craigbane-and-banagher-take-precautions-against-covid-19-cases.html

6 clubs is quite a lot and hardly ideal preparation for them on the cusp of their championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

This is an interesting report from Derry

https://www.derrynow.com/news/home/559093/craigbane-and-banagher-take-precautions-against-covid-19-cases.html

6 clubs is quite a lot and hardly ideal preparation for them on the cusp of their championship

Apparently there was a house party held there and the had Karaoke.
    Covid was spread as the microphone was passed around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Apparently there was a house party held there and the had Karaoke.
    Covid was spread as the microphone was passed around.

Was more likely to have been the singing that caused it, how bloody stupid can you be

Quote: ReginaldSmythV
    There’s a reason it’s contained. It didn’t happen by accident.

quote="mountgomery burns;114049471"]What in your view is the reason it has been contained?

What? Cases get less due to restrictions. It’s hardly that hard for you to understand is it?

I see the money hunger has them looking for exceptions when nobody else is getting any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I see the money hunger has them looking for exceptions when nobody else is getting any.

You're not going to get much money from about 400 people going to a few club matches. It's not about money, it's about people getting to go to and enjoying a few games.

I don't really get people's hatred of the GAA, the amount of children who play GAA is fantastic and a lot cheaper for parents than other sports.

Klonker wrote: »
    You're not going to get much money from about 400 people going to a few club matches. It's not about money, it's about people getting to go to and enjoying a few games.

I don't really get people's hatred of the GAA, the amount of children who play GAA is fantastic and a lot cheaper for parents than other sports.

I don’t hate the GAA at all but there is absolutely no way they should get a bye on the regulations. 200 for outdoor gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Every GAA ground this week will be less congested than any Main Street, supermarket or shop.

Comical listening to Liam Dunne talking about how great it is that everyone is sticking to regulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I don’t hate the GAA at all but there is absolutely no way they should get a bye on the regulations. 200 for outdoor gatherings.

Have a look at Wexford park today. How could you argue another 300 would make any difference inside there?

Have a look at Wexford park today. How could you argue another 300 would make any difference inside there?

Regulations are regulations. Do you think all 500 would just magically appear in their respective seats? If that were possible they could have a couple of thousand.

Regulations are regulations. Do you think all 500 would just magically appear in their respective seats? If that were possible they could have a couple of thousand.

No sure they'll all be huddled together holding hands. In a non pandemic, people would still be well spread out if they've space, nobody wants to be in each others pocket.

Nevermind a situation where people are conscious of the pandemic. But sure of course in your own mind you are the only one who cares

• Advertisement

No sure they'll all be huddled together holding hands. In a non pandemic, people would still be well spread out if they've space, nobody wants to be in each others pocket.

Nevermind a situation where people are conscious of the pandemic. But sure of course in your own mind you are the only one who cares

Not the only one but I’m able to see past the “well things I like should be allowed” line of thinking. This is far more serious, and its debatable whether any of these games should be on at all.

Not the only one but I’m able to see past the “well things I like should be allowed” line of thinking. This is far more serious, and its debatable whether any of these games should be on at all.

I completely disagree but I'm not going to derail this read. Time will tell at any rate

if 500 people couldn't be at that game tonight every shop,supermarket, cafe, hardware shop, pub with the €9 food I can go on and on shouldn't be opened too, the fact that a 200 limit applies to local rural ground the same as semple stadium,pairc ui caoimh makes no sense.

if 500 people couldn't be at that game tonight every shop,supermarket, cafe, hardware shop, pub with the €9 food I can go on and on shouldn't be opened too, the fact that a 200 limit applies to local rural stadium the same as semple stadium,pairc ui caoimh makes no sense.

Then close them all and bring in food rations if you feel so strongly about it. Definitely better to go that way than start opening up what you fancy just because you like to see more people in a stand.

dressing rooms then I guess.

All went off without a hitch, streamed to Facebook live and held up nicely. Ended up getting a power adapter for the laptop that plugged into the car and gave it a charge up midway through the game.

We needed to get a Video Capture Card for the laptop and then encoded the video via OBS and onto Facebook. Used a Eir phone as a hotspot and it worked without any lag, which was a surprise. Over 2,000 views.

I was at a game earlier, about 30+ people in the stand, no social distancing at all. Stand wouldn't be huge but enough room for that many people to distance from each other, never happened.

Id love to see 500 being allowed, but im afraid not all the people in Wexford Park followed the social distancing guidelines that GAA president John Horan claimed they would.
    A few times the camera panned the stand and it was clear that small groups of people had clustered in a few spots, and I'd safely say they wouldn't all have been from the same household. One group definitely lookedime it was the WAGS.
    You then had lads going around shaking hands at the end of the game, with Liam Dunne saying himself and Myler shook hands.
    I play a lot of golf. Any golfer who plays always shakes hands at the end of the round, but since the return to golf I've yet to see anybody stick a hand out.

Id love to see 500 being allowed, but im afraid not all the people in Wexford Park followed the social distancing guidelines that GAA president John Horan claimed they would.
    A few times the camera panned the stand and it was clear that small groups of people had clustered in a few spots, and I'd safely say they wouldn't all have been from the same household. One group definitely lookedime it was the WAGS.
    You then had lads going around shaking hands at the end of the game, with Liam Dunne saying himself and Myler shook hands.
    I play a lot of golf. Any golfer who plays always shakes hands at the end of the round, but since the return to golf I've yet to see anybody stick a hand out.

I get your point but first of all they are outside, I think it's something like 19 times less likely to catch outside.

Secondly, a lot of those people you seen in groups could very well be in close contact anyway away from the match. If anyone thinks that the majority of people are not mixing outside their household at the moment you're very far away from reality.

All went off without a hitch, streamed to Facebook live and held up nicely. Ended up getting a power adapter for the laptop that plugged into the car and gave it a charge up midway through the game.

We needed to get a Video Capture Card for the laptop and then encoded the video via OBS and onto Facebook. Used a Eir phone as a hotspot and it worked without any lag, which was a surprise. Over 2,000 views.

Impressive :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

I get your point but first of all they are outside, I think it's something like 19 times less likely to catch outside.

Secondly, a lot of those people you seen in groups could very well be in close contact anyway away from the match. If anyone thinks that the majority of people are not mixing outside their household at the moment you're very far away from reality.

I don't know why the GAA should be some exception.. Most other sports are playing without crowds. The Airtricity League is returning next week and won't have crowds.
    John Horan should be worrying about the number of outbreaks in different clubs around the Country.

rrs wrote: »
    I don't know why the GAA should be some exception.. Most other sports are playing without crowds. The Airtricity League is returning next week and won't have crowds.
    John Horan should be worrying about the number of outbreaks in different clubs around the Country.

I'm sure John is worried but none of the outbreaks are linked to anything to do with GAA activity, it just so happens some of the cases are GAA members that would of caught the virus whether GAA was being played or not.

I think clubs are being as cautious as possible. I know of one club where a player is going abroad and he has been told not to go near the club or anyone involved in club for 2 weeks after he gets back.

They are allowed a crowd of 200 as well, if they chose not to have a crowd that's up to them. It should be 500 for all outdoor sports depending on venue suitability.

500 at Wexford park yesterday would be much less riskier than 50 people in a gym or cinema which is currently permissible for some venues.

None are yet, but with no testing it could well be in time. Its an Amateur Sport where people have jobs. I think the reason Jack McCaffrey pulled out of Dublin Squad, is because of his line of work as a doctor, and playing GAA wouldn't be a good thing with the virus around.

They are allowed a crowd of 200 as well, if they chose not to have a crowd that's up to them. It should be 500 for all outdoor sports depending on venue suitability.

500 at Wexford park yesterday would be much less riskier than 50 people in a gym or cinema which is currently permissible for some venues.

Should be an either/or thing though. If 500 at Wexford
    Park is less risky than 50 in a gym, then 200 at Wexford Park is even less risky again which should be the number one thing.

There’s so many attitudes now, wether it’s pubs or sports or whatever, that’s just that everyone should behave but “I want I want I want” when it comes to what they’re interested in.

Park is less risky than 50 in a gym, then 200 at Wexford Park is even less risky again which should be the number one thing.

There’s so many attitudes now, wether it’s pubs or sports or whatever, that’s just that everyone should behave but “I want I want I want” when it comes to what they’re interested in.

It shouldnt be an either or thing? It's been that way since they decided to phase in easing of restrictions. I would not and will not advocate filling Croke Park (Horan was way off the mark with his estimates for crowds in May) but the fact that only 100 spectators can go to a match with such a low prevalence of the virus is wrong.

• Advertisement

Why 200? 100 would be less risky, 50 even better again, actually let's not play at all it's safer. Lets not drive anywhere we might get in a car crash, let's not leave the house ever again, I might get some disease or attacked, let's not eat I might choke on something.

My point is everything we do is a calculated risk, with the number of active cases in the country its reasonable safe for 500 people to go to matches. The number of daily cases here is very unlikely to go below 10 cases a day until a vaccine is found or ever even so we need to try get on with things that are reasonable safe when numbers are low as they are now.

It's about people entering a ground and exiting. Going through turnstiles etc. With 200 it's more controllable ,when players, official's, management are included in the 200 mark.

Big County grounds might have the sufficient way of dealing with that, but ordinary club ground would find it more a challenge with 500.
    Local clubs going at it the crowds would be mingling..

Why 200? 100 would be less risky, 50 even better again, actually let's not play at all it's safer. Lets not drive anywhere we might get in a car crash, let's not leave the house ever again, I might get some disease or attacked, let's not eat I might choke on something.

My point is everything we do is a calculated risk, with the number of active cases in the country its reasonable safe for 500 people to go to matches. The number of daily cases here is very unlikely to go below 10 cases a day until a vaccine is found or ever even so we need to try get on with things that are reasonable safe when numbers are low as they are now.

100 would be better. Not playing would be better again.

I’ll leave the reply there though because as soon as someone brings up the car crash or choking thing they’re clutching at straws as quickly as they can talk out of their arse. Again it’s all just people convincing themselves of anything because I want I want I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They certainly weren't short for stewards in Wexford Park last night anyway.

Delighted that I can watch some GAA after such a break (my part-time job relies on it), happy enough with the coverage so far, but can't help wondering why they couldn't fit a few more in to Wexford Park at least. It is definitely feasible there and a few more venues in the county.

You'd want to be a pretty sad individual to kick up a fuss about it.

It's about people entering a ground and exiting. Going through turnstiles etc. With 200 it's more controllable ,when players, official's, management are included in the 200 mark.

Big County grounds might have the sufficient way of dealing with that, but ordinary club ground would find it more a challenge with 500.
    Local clubs going at it the crowds would be mingling..

Nearly all grounds have big gates, open them up to let people in before matches, ask people to come well in advance throw in. 500 is not a huge number either, people will have a enough common sense to not stand on top of each other on the way in and out. If these were peoples main issues with crowds at matches there would be things that could be done to mitigate it I'm sure.

• Advertisement

What about half time going for a cup of tea or using the cubicles. Children crammed together..

The GAA should be thankfuk there is any action. And if it improves by August 10th crowds can increase.
    It showed pictures in wexford with fans packed together. Maybe they were family

100 would be better. Not playing would be better again.

I’ll leave the reply there though because as soon as someone brings up the car crash or choking thing they’re clutching at straws as quickly as they can talk out of their arse. Again it’s all just people convincing themselves of anything because I want I want I want.

Its not clutching at straws, its just showing that there is a risk to everything we do everyday and where reasonably safe, like going to matches, we should be trying to get back to normal as much as possible while keeping some social distancing.

Its not a I want I want I want thing. I think the pubs should open on Monday too and I have very little interest in going anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I think clubs are being as cautious as possible. I know of one club where a player is going abroad and he has been told not to go near the club or anyone involved in club for 2 weeks after he gets back.

Same in ours. We've been told that if any member or indeed anyone that they live with goes abroad that they are to stay away for two weeks from the date of that person's arrival back in the country. Only right.

Its not clutching at straws, its just showing that there is a risk to everything we do everyday and where reasonably safe, like going to matches, we should be trying to get back to normal as much as possible while keeping some social distancing.

Its not a I want I want I want thing. I think the pubs should open on Monday too and I have very little interest in going anytime soon.

Pubs were orginally August 10th anyway, and they brought all forward.Some publicans in disbelief about not openings next week, and they have done nothing inside the pub as a way of precautions. Either been asleep for 4 months, or ignorant about the situation.

Turnstiles only apply to County grounds typically, and you can solve that "problem" pretty easily by putting hand sanitizer either side of it.

An all ticketed match is a controlled environment where you can put a number of measures in place. There should probably be an upper capacity limit (like 500 maybe for the time being) and then a lower one based on ground suitability.

In the last couple of months and at times when cases were much higher, many more people were in parks, on beaches and at times canal side sitting in small groups. None of those are controlled environments, none have led to rises in cases.

I am well versed in whats going on around the country. House parties and barbecues in full swing since about mid May with zero social distancing.
    The point I was making was that the president went on radio and stated people would socially distance at a game so therefore the GAA should be allowed have 500 at a game. Some people clearly did last night but others didn't.
    If I was in NPHET I would show him the tape of the match and point out those clusters in the stand and say sorry John, but you're wrong.

I am well versed in whats going on around the country. House parties and barbecues in full swing since about mid May with zero social distancing.
    The point I was making was that the president went on radio and stated people would socially distance at a game so therefore the GAA should be allowed have 500 at a game. Some people clearly did last night but others didn't.
    If I was in NPHET I would show him the tape of the match and point out those clusters in the stand and say sorry John, but you're wrong.
    literally everyone on this platform can claim to be "well versed in whats going on around the country" on a forum website behind an anonymous user name and nobody will know if their bullsh*iting ot the real McCoy...

literally everyone on this platform can claim to be "well versed in whats going on around the country" on a forum website behind an anonymous user name and nobody will know if their bullsh*iting ot the real McCoy...

Grand so, I'll just say loads of parties going on in and around where I live and leave it at that.
    One of the local pubs started doing take away pints and cocktails at the end of May. Many weekends there are queuing up for pints. Fathers day was particularly busy. The social media page it has is constantly re posting pictures of the cocktails being consumed by young ones at 18th and 21st parties.
    I'm sure we are completely different from the rest of the country.

Loads of threads on pubs - this is not one of them.

Loads of threads on pubs - this is not one of them.

There is. I would say however the demographic group attending house parties in the main would be those who play GAA at adult level, so the ability of the GAA to run a championship and the prevalence of House Parties are very much interlinked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement