Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes I 100% agree schools should get priority and agree with them reopening but if an outdoor activity in an open area ( remember the 19 times more likely stuff) is deemed a public health issue how can schools be deemed save to reopen, contradictions of the highest order....

It's because we need to reduce the total number of gatherings taking place in the country. Gatherings for the purpose of education have been deemed important so in an environment of rising cases, in order to not make the situation worse, someone has to lose out. That someone is sport and in particular spectators. And wet pubs too.

In fairness it probably won't be enough and more stringent measures will need to be adopted nationally again as we fire fight. Again.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think it would look poor for their credibility if they do decline it.

Why? It’s only sport at the end of the day, hardly hugely important in the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    From what I can figure* 58 different GAA clubs in 21 counties have suspended activites due to positive,possible or outbreaks in the local community since the big lockdown was lifted. This clubs in Kildare, Carlow, Laois werer all prior to the mini-lockdown.

* This was based on some pretty quick Googling

Raheny Dublin positive case
    Man O'War Dublin positive case
    James Stephens Kilkenny positive case
    Simonstown Meath possible case
    Nobber Meath possible case
    Ballinabrackey Meath positive case
    Park-Ratheniska Laois positive case
    Timahoe Laois positive case
    Carbury Kildare positive case
    Kilcormac/Killoughey Offaly possible case
    Clonmore Carlow positive case
    St Brigids Carlow possible case
    Rathvilly Carlow outbreak in the community
    Fenagh Carlow possible case
    Old Leighlin GAA Carlow positive case
    Killeavy Armagh 5 positive cases
    Eglish Tyrone positive case
    Aghaloo Tyrone possible case
    Banagher Derry outbreak in the community
    Claudy Derry outbreak in the community
    Ardmore Derry outbreak in the community
    Foreglen Derry outbreak in the community
    Drum Derry outbreak in the community
    Drumsurn Derry outbreak in the community
    Magilligan Derry outbreak in the community
    Glack Derry outbreak in the community
    Limavady Derry outbreak in the community
    Craigbane Derry outbreak in the community
    St Marys Banagher Derry positive case
    Atticall Down outbreak in the community
    Longstone Down positive case
    Dundrum Down positive case
    Four Masters Donegal possible case
    Naomh Conaill Donegal possible case
    Bundoran Donegal possible case
    Naomh Colmcille Donegal possible case
    Cloughaneely Donegal possible case
    Truagh Gaels Monaghan positive case
    Argideen Rangers Cork possible case
    Glanworth Cork positive case
    Ballinascarty Cork possible case
    St Oliver Plunketts Cork possible case
    Claughan Limerick positive case
    St Patricks Limerick positive case
    Ahane Limerick possible case
    Cappamore Limerick possible case
    St Kierans Limerick possible case
    Cratloe Clare 6 positive cases
    Clondegad Clare possible case
    Clerihan Tipperary possible case
    Ballinahinch Tipperary possible case
    Eastern Harps Sligo possible case
    Kinvara Galway outbreak in the community
    Moy Davitts Mayo possible case
    Loughmore Mayo possible case
    Balla Mayo outbreak in the community
    Louisburgh Mayo outbreak in the community
    Strokestown Roscommon possible case

The 11 counties where a GAA club hasn't suspended action are

Wicklow
    Wexford
    Westmeath
    Louth
    Longford
    Antrim
    Fermanagh
    Cavan
    Kerry
    Waterford
    Leitrim

All clubs clubs whom should be commended for following the guidelines and all cases or suspected cases that happened outside of GAA on field activities apparently.

Little logic in not allowing 100 supporters attend matches outdoors while 50 people are allowed in a restaurant for 90 minutes. The car pooling discussion makes like sense either, we'd have more people travelling to Sunday mass across the country in cars than matches. Mr Martin said the churches are wide open places to social distance, not as wide open as a GAA pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It's a safe bet that the NEPHET advice to government today was to shut down all sporting activity but it got watered down in cabinet under pressure from TDs. That's exactly what they will be told if the ACMO accepts their sarcastic invitation to a meeting (which he won't)

The same with the 'wedding' scenario. Kept at 50 to appease the hospitality sector.

That statement from Croke Park is a disgrace. The measures announced today is in response to a growing public health emergency of which GAA, along with other organisations, activities are a casualty. Their response is a sarcastic quip at the medical professionals trying to get to grips with it.

What was the sarcastic quip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

No problem shutting down all team sporting activities if that's what's required, it's just the complete ambiguity that it's a max of 15 from the same area training together but 40 lads can share a pitch together plus other subs/team members from different parishes in a game situation. Lacks all senses of logic. Team can't prepare like that so what's the point in playing matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, it is somewhat confusing. If you're at a club with lots of underage teams, what constitutes a gathering of 15? If you have several kids teams across say 2 pitches, 15 in each corner, is that 4 gatherings of 15, or a gathering of 60?

I know I'm being pedantic, but that's the reality of most evenings at clubs at the moment. Does training end? The kids will all be going back to the same school next week anyway and sitting beside other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, it is somewhat confusing. If you're at a club with lots of underage teams, what constitutes a gathering of 15? If you have several kids teams across say 2 pitches, 15 in each corner, is that 4 gatherings of 15, or a gathering of 60?

I know I'm being pedantic, but that's the reality of most evenings at clubs at the moment. Does training end? The kids will all be going back to the same school next week anyway and sitting beside other.

On a Friday evening at that the time that we train we have a total of 5 teams out at the one time across 1 full sized pitch,. 3/4 sized training/back pitch and a small astro one. U8, i10, u12(both girls and boys) and u16. Now we stagger finishing times to avoid a scrum.

The poster that said underage games in Dublin and Kerry were pulled. Any chance they could provide evidence of this as nothing to indicate this on any website or on Facebook that I could find.

On a Friday evening at that the time that we train we have a total of 5 teams out at the one time across 1 full sized pitch,. 3/4 sized training/back pitch and a small astro one. U8, i10, u12(both girls and boys) and u16. Now we stagger finishing times to avoid a scrum.

But aren't some of the teams still on the grounds at the same time? How will that fit in with the restrictions? I suppose clarification will come throughout the day.

Makes no sense though if you weren't allowed that, but allowed a match without spectators. I understand why they wouldn't want spectators, I'm just looking at the situation on the pitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Cul camps going ahead here this morning

arctictree wrote: »
    Cul camps going ahead here this morning

In groups less than 15 I'm guessing. Let us know.

The poster that said underage games in Dublin and Kerry were pulled. Any chance they could provide evidence of this as nothing to indicate this on any website or on Facebook that I could find.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/juvenile/called-off-u12-fixtures-for-wednesday-19th-august

The cancellation of the Dublin under 12 games today seems just a holding pattern until further clarification.

The cancellation of the Dublin under 12 games today seems just a holding pattern until further clarification.

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Notions expecting a meeting and explanation. They should be told to with themselves and if they've any issues go through the proper channels, at least starting with a minister or public office.
    The GAA is an important part of the country, but the statement was in poor form. I think the GAA should apologise and withdraw it, and someone from the government/public health should meet the GAA to give them more information on the background to the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Can look up Kerry Coiste na Nog on Facebook

https://twitter.com/Gneeveguillagaa/status/1295815394519920640?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I see one of my comments was removed. No-one is allowed call all this nonsense for what it is.

Of the deaths that have taken place, 0.06% have been under 24s.

Those under age of 44 account for 0.8% of deaths.

Anyone who thinks that is the basis for the restrictions on sport has no capacity for independent thinking.

Just like sheep.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I see one of my comments was removed. No-one is allowed call all this nonsense for what it is.

Anyone who thinks that is the basis for the restrictions on sport has no capacity for independent thinking.

Just like sheep.

It's about spread, nothing to do with the number of deaths in a specific age group.

It's about spread, nothing to do with the number of deaths in a specific age group.

Who are they spreading it to?

0 - 44 covers probably over 90% of the juveniles and their parents and mentors.

Of all deaths, 0.8% are within that cohort. So even if they are spreading it, only a handful have died and very few have been hospitalized.

But you think that is reason enough to shut everything dowm?

Vast majority of deaths are among old people. 45% in group aged 85 and over. Old people die and the % of elderly people who have died from the virus is not that much higher than the % of old people who died of all causes in 2018.

Indeed, huge numbers of them died in homes run by the medical profession and under state supervision! So in the one area where the state and doctors have 24/7 control, people died like flies.

But people like you think that they should tell us what to do every minute of the day.

Eh, don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

People saying that they are closing down sport so we can open schools need to step back and think about how stupid that statement is. Closing down something low risk so we can continue with something high risk. There is nil logic in that.

Its clear that at this stage the government just want to be seen to be doing something and sport is an easy target.

It will make little difference to transmission one way or the other and I have little confidence that they do have evidence of transmission related to sport.

Also they are talking about going in cars to matches and meeting in pubs before and after. Why then are underage parents blocked from going to their kids matches then? Same family, hardly supping pints before an U12 game etc

At this stage I am fed up with it. Very hard to stay motivated to do the right things when silly decisions are taken just to throw shapes.

Just like sheep.

Under 24’s can spread it the very same as someone 50 or 70 can. You haven’t a clue and can’t see anything past stamping your feet and crying that you won’t die so you want ball.

slegs wrote: »
    People saying that they are closing down sport so we can open schools need to step back and think about how stupid that statement is. Closing down something low risk so we can continue with something high risk. There is nil logic in that.

The logic that's being missed is that if there's little or no community transmission, the lower the risk in schools. It's straightforward enough.

Its clear that at this stage the government just want to be seen to be doing something and sport is an easy target.

It will make little difference to transmission one way or the other and I have little confidence that they do have evidence of transmission related to sport.

Also they are talking about going in cars to matches and meeting in pubs before and after. Why then are underage parents blocked from going to their kids matches then? Same family, hardly supping pints before an U12 game etc

At this stage I am fed up with it. Very hard to stay motivated to do the right things when silly decisions are taken just to throw shapes.

I think the GAA are dead right to question it. If they have evidence of tranmission related to outdoor sporting events, lets see it and fair enough on the restrictions if it is in anyway significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Under 24’s can spread it the very same as someone 50 or 70 can. You haven’t a clue and can’t see anything past stamping your feet and crying that you won’t die so you want ball.

If that is the case, then schools 100% should not be opening.

We had politicians lauding protests of thousands in the streets when the rest of us were in full lock down.

Now you cant have 30, outdoors, spread out?

GAA are totally entitled to ask why this decision was taken, as it appears contradictory to other messages and restrictions.

I asked who they are spreading it to, and presented statistics.

All you do is parrot - not particularly coherently - what people in suits and white coats tell you :)

As Lou Reed said: "Turn him over, he's done."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

We live in a democracy. GAA as the largest sporting organisation have every right to question the reasoning behind rules that effect them.

The logic that's being missed is that if there's little or no community transmission, the lower the risk in schools. It's straightforward enough.

:confused:

And this is supposed to be an intelligent justification for not allowing people watch games?

There is no valid argument for closing either schools or the latest restrictions on sport.

I asked who they are spreading it to, and presented statistics.

All you do is parrot - not particularly coherently - what people in suits and white coats tell you :)

As Lou Reed said: "Turn him over, he's done."

When the insults start, you know they’re digging.

Childish selfish little tantrums aren’t going to get us out of this. Let the grown ups take it from here.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think the GAA are dead right to question it. If they have evidence of tranmission related to outdoor sporting events, lets see it and fair enough on the restrictions if it is in anyway significant.

The restrictions are not necessarily because there's outbreaks amongst the GAA, it's because the number of community cases is rising and they want to limit interaction within the community.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just like sheep.
    Mod:
    Your deleted comment, in full, was "Wake up ffs :rolleyes:" (rolley eyes was part of it).
    That's not adding to discussion and neither is commenting on moderation or saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you "has no capacity for independent thinking". And I say that as someone who agrees that these restrictions are nonsense. But there's a way to articulate your arguments and that isn't it.

The part of this that I cannot get my head around is that these new outbreaks have been largely caused by meat factories treating their employees like garbage and, if I remember correctly, going against HSE advice and forcing employees to return to work while waiting on test results (obviously resulting in a lot more infections). Yet they couldn't be forced to shut. Indeed, I think one was planning on remaining open throughout until pressure forced their hand. One of them has already reopened.
    Why on earth are known virus hotspots at the centre of these new outbreaks allowed to carry on as normal yet outdoor sports which, as far as I know, have had little or no effect on transmission are forced to close games to spectators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Just have look at Kingston Mills ( an actual expert) on off the ball this morning, inconsistent and confusing are the primary descriptions of yesterday's decisions

https://youtu.be/Wf-Y0LIRWvE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The part of this that I cannot get my head around is that these new outbreaks have been largely caused by meat factories treating their employees like garbage and, if I remember correctly, going against HSE advice and forcing employees to return to work while waiting on test results (obviously resulting in a lot more infections). Yet they couldn't be forced to shut. Indeed, I think one was planning on remaining open throughout until pressure forced their hand. One of them has already reopened.
    Why on earth are known virus hotspots at the centre of these new outbreaks allowed to carry on as normal yet outdoor sports which, as far as I know, have had little or no effect on transmission are forced to close games to spectators.

While the meat plants are no angels, they're not 100% to blame. A friend worked at one of the affected plants for 2 years and said that many of the workers voluntarily live 12 to a house and share 2 cars between the lot to save money. Their sole goal is to save as much money as possible in a few months or years to make a more comfortable living back home in eastern Europe. He never heard anything about the plant providing housing for any employees either, that seems to be more associated with the Brazilian contingent.

An employer can be as careful as they like (again, I'm not saying they were) but if your employees go home to live on top of each other with no distancing or precautions whatsoever what can you do?

When the insults start, you know they’re digging.

Childish selfish little tantrums aren’t going to get us out of this. Let the grown ups take it from here.

You referred to me stamping my feet and crying and being childish :D

Meanwhile, I await some actual argument. You know. One with statistics or even referencing the ones I put up.

"Grown ups" are people who make their own minds up, by the way, based on facts not being told what to do without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

that's it I actually think today's decisions have the potential to cause public health issues( people meeting indoors to watch streams) rather than help stem the tide of rising cases...

Well yesterday evening most pubs in Gorey that were open were reporting that they were already close to capacity with people booking in to watch the final. There will be one or two with beer gardens that in no way will regulate their numbers.

If I was the club, I would be holding a BBQ and screening the game both inside the clubhouse bar and on a couple of screens around the club ground (weather permitting of course). They even have an indoor soccer pitch that could be repurposed into a 'cinema' for the day. Could be a brilliant community event, and gardaí would be loathe to interfere given the optics it would entail.

No different to the pubs really and at least they'd have some control over who can attend.

While the meat plants are no angels, they're not 100% to blame. A friend worked at one of the affected plants for 2 years and said that many of the workers voluntarily live 12 to a house and share 2 cars between the lot to save money. Their sole goal is to save as much money as possible in a few months or years to make a more comfortable living back home in eastern Europe. He never heard anything about the plant providing housing for any employees either, that seems to be more associated with the Brazilian contingent.

An employer can be as careful as they like (again, I'm not saying they were) but if your employees go home to live on top of each other with no distancing or precautions whatsoever what can you do?
    but what about not giving their staff sick pay and giving staff paracetamol prior to having their temperature checked?

Then shut down the restaurants, non essential shops and pubs and go back to lockdown except for schools. Those are real high risk spreaders in the community.

Outdoor sports events with enforced social distancing is having no effect on transmission. Its just an easy call to make it look like they are doing something.

Why not simply require people to wear masks while social distancing at outdoor events if they think its an issue?

You referred to me stamping my feet and crying and being childish :D

Meanwhile, I await some actual argument. You know. One with statistics or even referencing the ones I put up.

"Grown ups" are people who make their own minds up, by the way, based on facts not being told what to do without question.

There’s no argument to be had with you. You want to go to matches so anything that stops that is wrong. Other people want pubs so anything that stops that is wrong. We’re a selfish selfish country.

• Advertisement

There’s no argument to be had with you. You want to go to matches so anything that stops that is wrong. Other people want pubs so anything that stops that is wrong. We’re a selfish selfish country.
    but it's not like with like as being said time and again you're 19 times more likely to catch the virus indoors rather than outdoors, that's why people are questioning the logic of yesterday's decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

but it's not like with like as being said time and again you're 19 times more likely to catch the virus indoors rather than outdoors, that's why people are questioning the logic of yesterday's decisions...

Went to 1st round of our championship and there was no social distancing at all .
    Later that night local pub full to the rafters after match.

Im not saying this is going on all the time but it most definitely happening.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Went to 1st round of our championship and there was no social distancing at all .
    Later that night local pub full to the rafters after match.

Im not saying this is going on all the time but it most definitely happening.
    well the pub aspect will happen regardless, especially now with pubs showing the games on streams and no spectators at all

So at an underage blitz of they go ahead instead of parents been on the sidelines they'll be car by car on the road outside and go up to the nearby petrol station for a coffee...

That is true but one thing you can't do is police people in their own homes. If they were living on top of each other before the pandemic, they've no choice but to do so during it. But as this is obviously well known to the management of the factories, this would have made it even more important for them to put proper measures in place. And it's not as though they weren't forewarned. Several localised outbreaks across Europe have been caused by meat factories.
    But instead, money mattered more to them and they weren't willing to cut back their shifts to slow down or possibly eliminate the outbreaks. And now wider society is paying the price. And, to be honest, I can't blame them as it's been proven that there have been no repercussions for them because of their actions.

well the pub aspect will happen regardless, especially now with pubs showing the games on streams and no spectators at all

So at an underage blitz of they go ahead instead of parents been on the sidelines they'll be car by car on the road outside and go up to the nearby petrol station for a coffee...

TBH I just dont think the whole GAA is feasible under the restrictions since March.

The government put into place about no spectators and to be honest it's up to the parents whether they want to sit side by side in car park or go get a coffee, but the logical thing is for the parents to either keep their distance or go home and come back, Go for a walk ?

People expect the Government to hold their hands on every little thing but can't people think for themselves and take some responsibility themselves.

TBH I just dont think the whole GAA is feasible under the restrictions since March.

The government put into place about no spectators and to be honest it's up to the parents whether they want to sit side by side in car park or go get a coffee, but the logical thing is for the parents to either keep their distance or go home and come back, Go for a walk ?

People expect the Government to hold their hands on every little thing but can't people think for themselves and take some responsibility themselves.
    But pubs, restaurants, mass and weddings of 50 people, international travel are feasible as per government guidelines?

• Advertisement

Missing the point. Not expecting the government to hold my hand. I have followed every precaution and rule and use common sense in all interactions. But the government telling me I can’t stand at the side of a pitch to watch my kids play an U12 game in a socially distant safe way and that this is somehow helping the cause. That’s the government stepping too far while at the same time not having the balls to deal with real problems like airports, quarantine, closing pubs and house parties.

If we are trying to stop this virus then they need to actually address the issues and stop pretending to take action with stupid moves like this one

Missing the point. Not expecting the government to hold my hand. I have followed every precaution and rule and use common sense in all interactions. But the government telling me I can’t stand at the side of a pitch to watch my kids play an U12 game in a socially distant safe way and that this is somehow helping the cause. That’s the government stepping too far while at the same time not having the balls to deal with real problems like airports, quarantine, closing pubs and house parties.

If we are trying to stop this virus then they need to actually address the issues and stop pretending to take action with stupid moves like this one

I'm not arguing with you and I completely understand where you are coming from . The one thing I miss this year more than anything is the hurling.

Yes you will do as asked but in fairness I have been to a good few practice matches and not a hope of people social distancing. We had a local team who had a lad tested positive but while waiting for results went to match in a car with team mate . Needless to say there have now been a few more cases in the area.

It's the stupid people like this who are making it difficult for everyone else who adheres to the rules

Yes, the government need to deal with the bigger issued of factories and accommodation but also need to be mindful of the economy.

More testing , better contact tracing and most importantly random workplace inspections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

hmmm wrote: »
    The GAA is an important part of the country, but the statement was in poor form. I think the GAA should apologise and withdraw it, and someone from the government/public health should meet the GAA to give them more information on the background to the decision.

I also think the gaa should appologise as they think they are special.
    There is no need to explain as same rule for all field sports.
    I think the background to the decision is clear from the numbers in recent weeks.
    To ask the Government to produce evidence is absolutely crazy since the evidence is already there. I also do not agree with the camps but that decision is more up to the families of the children involved,

I'm not arguing with you and I completely understand where you are coming from . The one thing I miss this year more than anything is the hurling.

Yes you will do as asked but in fairness I have been to a good few practice matches and not a hope of people social distancing. We had a local team who had a lad tested positive but while waiting for results went to match in a car with team mate . Needless to say there have now been a few more cases in the area.

It's the stupid people like this who are making it difficult for everyone else who adheres to the rules

Yes, the government need to deal with the bigger issued of factories and accommodation but also need to be mindful of the economy.

More testing , better contact tracing and most importantly random workplace inspections

Agreed. If I were in government I would have legislation to deal with people who don't follow the rules like the lad you describe. He should be fined for not staying at home as per recommendations and fúcking it up for the rest of us. They are losing the good will of the general public by punishing everybody for the bad behaviour of a few.

I also think the gaa should appologise as they think they are special.
    There is no need to explain as same rule for all field sports.
    I think the background to the decision is clear from the numbers in recent weeks.
    To ask the Government to produce evidence is absolutely crazy since the evidence is already there. I also do not agree with the camps but that decision is more up to the families of the children involved,

Can you link to this evidence?

• Advertisement
Advertisement