Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well our matches and training are going ahead as normal. Don't know what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

arctictree wrote: »
    Well our matches and training are going ahead as normal. Don't know what the fuss is about.

What are ye doing with regards to numbers at training?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

That’s great news. I think the worries are more about match attendance than anything else

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    That’s great news. I think the worries are more about match attendance than anything else

One parent per child for Juvenile matches. Don't know about Adult matches. Although we have two pitches so what happens when an Adult match on one pitch and a Juvenile match beside it? Are the Juvenile parents not allowed turn around?!

What are ye doing with regards to numbers at training?

County board recommend training split into groups of 15.

One parent per child for Juvenile matches. Don't know about Adult matches. Although we have two pitches so what happens when an Adult match on one pitch and a Juvenile match beside it? Are the Juvenile parents not allowed turn around?!

Haha. We had training night and stayed to watch the end of a match and a different match after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

https://youtu.be/HXzol3sk5Gk

Just listen to the scenario in the 1st 90 seconds of the minor game last night.

U15 postponed in my county tonight as the coiste na og board want to get clarity around holding the games at local club venues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Must be a very large premises if 60 parents were gathering in it and observing social distance. People need to take personal responsibility, which many have not been doing at matches to date. Ditto in social venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    GAA activities are huge revenue stream, worth way more than what they receive.

If the state reverses the latest regulations then all team and outdoor sports will benefit.

Horse racing doesn't have spectators but the numbers attending any meeting are way higher than even the 200 limit that applied to other sports.

Horse racing should be allowed, but it is joke to claim that it is "indoor" while club games in Nowlan Park or Parnell or Thurles are outdoor or a LOI match!

Meat factories caused three counties to close through the way they are run. (And that's without getting into their wage and permit "irregularities" which SIPTU only woke up to, apparently, two weeks ago!) And now they are re-opened while everyone else is still in lockdown.

That simply is not true, they have been highlighting this issue for some time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

County board recommend training split into groups of 15.

Saw a few teams doing that last night at their training up in the park.

Split into 2 groups of approx 15 and played against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

robbiezero wrote: »
    Saw a few teams doing that last night at their training up in the park.

Split into 2 groups of approx 15 and played against each other.

2x15 = 30...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

So how optimistic are you all about an inter county championship happening in October?

billyhead wrote: »
    So how optimistic are you all about an inter county championship happening in October?

Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wish i could say in optimistic but think money will talk and the gaa won't take the hit esp losing the ticket revenue

If a player/official in a team tests positive are the whole panel including management considered close contacts for testing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If the ban on spectators at sporting events is announced to continue past September 13, the inter-county championships will be abandoned then and there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ok
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wish i could say in optimistic but think money will talk and the gaa won't take the hit esp losing the ticket revenue

I don't understand this about taking a hit by running the championship, because there won't be spectators at these games in significant numbers until next year at best.

The GAAs choice will be run it behind closed doors or don't run it at all and I cannot see there being much cost difference between running a club game with two men and a dog vs running an intercounty game with the same number of spectators.

Yes it will be expensive for counties but perhaps it's time anyway for a cull of the second coach-load full of hangers on. The counties themselves will have to cut their cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’m not optimistic at all and I’m going to go out on a limb and say if they do it their way, the Irish government will suppress all economic (and sporting) activity for at least the next three years. Of course, this is entirely unnecessary but that doesn’t mean they won’t try to pursue it. In the worst case scenario, I see our pro sports collapsing and GAA becoming a club-orientated, as opposed to county-orientated, sport(s). Not that it’s relevant here in this thread but professional rugby is so unbelievably screwed in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm all for a behind closed doors championship and think players will be raring to go. Management teams are working by the scenes no doubt and working towards the September date. A decision will have to be made soon i think because no point in doing all that work for **** all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I don't understand this about taking a hit by running the championship, because there won't be spectators at these games in significant numbers until next year at best.

The GAAs choice will be run it behind closed doors or don't run it at all and I cannot see there being much cost difference between running a club game with two men and a dog vs running an intercounty game with the same number of spectators.

Yes it will be expensive for counties but perhaps it's time anyway for a cull of the second coach full of hangers on. The countries themselves will have to cut their cloth.

There probably isn't much of a hit to run games in empty stadiums (I could be wrong about this), but there's certainly less finnancial incentive to do so, when they won't be making a tidy profit from it.

I'd be very doubtful of the Intercounty season starting, nevermind finishing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There's not going to be an inter county championship. Once more people are tested and more asymptomatic cases are discovered it is bound to impact on county panels. They couldn't expect either of the three currently locked down counties to compete under those conditions and it is likely there will be more as the hysteria grows.

Big Ears wrote: »
    There probably isn't much of a hit to run games in empty stadiums (I could be wrong about this), but there's certainly less finnancial incentive to do so, when they won't be making a tidy profit from it.

I'd be very doubtful of the Intercounty season starting, nevermind finishing !

We are hardly saying that the true motivation behind running the intercounty championship is entirely financial? I'm not as much of a cynic as that , as I still believe that is the exhibition of the most skilled in the games.

If it is not run because the alternative is running behind closed doors and there is nothing to be gained financially from it then one would have to conclude that the organisation has completely lost it's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

We are hardly saying that the true motivation behind running the intercounty championship is entirely financial? I'm not as much of a cynic as that , as I still believe that is the exhibition of the most skilled in the games.

If it is not run because the alternative is running behind closed doors and there is nothing to be gained financially from it then one would have to conclude that the organisation has completely lost it's way.

The cost for co boards in preparing teams is going to be the same, where is the money going to come for that?

The cost for co boards in preparing teams is going to be the same, where is the money going to come for that?

That's a sunk cost at this stage.

Poor Davy will have a canary if they’re cancelled after going and getting the head start.

Looks like Kildare is not going to have restrictions lifted. Their county championships in real trouble now.

Poor Davy will have a canary if they’re cancelled after going and getting the head start.

Must be going mad already seeing as he can't submit his ahem 'expenses'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The GAA is not asking for an exception for one sport.

The state is already discriminating with regard to the regulations - food pubs v non food pubs; outdoor team sports v horse racing, meat plants v the people of three counties and so on.

Indeed, I don't think the regulations are open to legal challenge and there has been at least one case that was thrown out. It is basically emergency law that is beyond normal appeal.

Government support for GAA and other sports is a red herring. GAA generates massive revenue throughout the years besides - as do other sports - providing incalculable social benefits. Unlike many NGOs which receive billions and provide very little other than jobs for their own employees for example.
    That pubs serving food are being treated differently isnt discrimination. Horse racing is different to many team sports though considering its going ahead to help keep the stable staff etc all working.
    I was not aware that there were other organizations looking for the same as gaa are now so i think a collective application be better
    I was also not aware the gaa provided employment as its amatuer and most clubs are registired charities.
    There are overpaid jobs in admin but most is unpaid volunteers.
    Horse racing has no spectators i think.
    They have to keep meat factories open, pubs are closed, the restaurants seem to be working well.
    I agree with you on social benefit but health comes first...
    GAA activities are huge revenue stream, worth way more than what they receive.

If the state reverses the latest regulations then all team and outdoor sports will benefit.

Horse racing doesn't have spectators but the numbers attending any meeting are way higher than even the 200 limit that applied to other sports.

Horse racing should be allowed, but it is joke to claim that it is "indoor" while club games in Nowlan Park or Parnell or Thurles are outdoor or a LOI match!

Meat factories caused three counties to close through the way they are run. (And that's without getting into their wage and permit "irregularities" which SIPTU only woke up to, apparently, two weeks ago!) And now they are re-opened while everyone else is still in lockdown.
    You sure numbers attending any meeting are way higher than 200? And there is social distancing.
    Who is claiming its indoors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Raheny Dublin positive case
    Man O'War Dublin positive case
    James Stephens Kilkenny positive case
    Simonstown Meath possible case
    Nobber Meath possible case
    Ballinabrackey Meath positive case
    Park-Ratheniska Laois positive case
    Timahoe Laois positive case
    Killeshin Laois possible case
    Arles-Kilcruise Laois possible case
    Carbury Kildare positive case
    Kilcormac/Killoughey Offaly possible case
    Clonmore Carlow positive case
    St Brigids Carlow possible case
    Rathvilly Carlow outbreak in the community
    Fenagh Carlow possible case
    Old Leighlin GAA Carlow positive case
    Mount Leinster Rangers Carlow possible case
    Ferns St Aidans Wexford possible case
    Kilrush Askamore Wexford possible case
    St Galls Antrim positive case
    Killeavy Armagh 5 positive cases
    Eglish Tyrone positive case
    Aghaloo Tyrone possible case
    Banagher Derry outbreak in the community
    Claudy Derry outbreak in the community
    Ardmore Derry outbreak in the community
    Foreglen Derry outbreak in the community
    Drum Derry outbreak in the community
    Drumsurn Derry outbreak in the community
    Magilligan Derry outbreak in the community
    Glack Derry outbreak in the community
    Limavady Derry outbreak in the community
    Craigbane Derry outbreak in the community
    St Marys Banagher Derry positive case
    Atticall Down outbreak in the community
    Longstone Down positive case
    Dundrum Down positive case
    Four Masters Donegal possible case
    Naomh Conaill Donegal possible case
    Bundoran Donegal possible case
    Naomh Colmcille Donegal possible case
    Cloughaneely Donegal possible case
    Naomh Muire Donegal positive case
    Truagh Gaels Monaghan positive case
    Argideen Rangers Cork possible case
    Glanworth Cork positive case
    Ballinascarty Cork possible case
    St Oliver Plunketts Cork possible case
    Claughan Limerick positive case
    St Patricks Limerick positive case
    Ahane Limerick possible case
    Cappamore Limerick possible case
    St Kierans Limerick possible case
    Cratloe Clare 6 positive cases
    Clondegad Clare possible case
    Clerihan Tipperary possible case
    Ballinahinch Tipperary possible case
    Eastern Harps Sligo possible case
    Kinvara Galway outbreak in the community
    Moy Davitts Mayo possible case
    Loughmore Mayo possible case
    Balla Mayo outbreak in the community
    Louisburgh Mayo outbreak in the community
    Strokestown Roscommon possible case

65 clubs in 23 counties now.

This is only GAA clubs - It doesn't include camogie clubs or ladies football clubs. Both organisations have had clubs suspend activites due to COVID

The government said that horse racing was indoors. That's why it has been back for months. Including at the Curragh two days after the Kildare lockdown.

You take a meeting with 8 races, with an average of 8 runners. That's at least three people with each horse for a start. That's 200 before you add jockeys, stall handlers and everyone else who works at a meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Pulling a figure out of the air I'd guess at a a less than 20% chance of going ahead and I would assume that would be a zero spectators situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Boom__Boom wrote: »

This is only GAA clubs - It doesn't include camogie clubs or ladies football clubs. Both organisations have had clubs suspend activites due to COVID

I'm 99% certain Simonstown was a confirmed case of Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Raheny Dublin positive case
    Man O'War Dublin positive case
    James Stephens Kilkenny positive case
    Park-Ratheniska Laois positive case
    Timahoe Laois positive case
    Killeshin Laois possible case
    Arles-Kilcruise Laois possible case
    Carbury Kildare positive case
    Kilcormac/Killoughey Offaly possible case
    Clonmore Carlow positive case
    St Brigids Carlow possible case
    Rathvilly Carlow outbreak in the community
    Fenagh Carlow possible case
    Old Leighlin GAA Carlow positive case
    Mount Leinster Rangers Carlow possible case
    Ferns St Aidans Wexford possible case
    Kilrush Askamore Wexford possible case
    St Galls Antrim positive case
    Killeavy Armagh 5 positive cases
    Eglish Tyrone positive case
    Aghaloo Tyrone possible case
    Banagher Derry outbreak in the community
    Claudy Derry outbreak in the community
    Ardmore Derry outbreak in the community
    Foreglen Derry outbreak in the community
    Drum Derry outbreak in the community
    Drumsurn Derry outbreak in the community
    Magilligan Derry outbreak in the community
    Glack Derry outbreak in the community
    Limavady Derry outbreak in the community
    Craigbane Derry outbreak in the community
    St Marys Banagher Derry positive case
    Atticall Down outbreak in the community
    Longstone Down positive case
    Dundrum Down positive case
    Four Masters Donegal possible case
    Naomh Conaill Donegal possible case
    Bundoran Donegal possible case
    Naomh Colmcille Donegal possible case
    Cloughaneely Donegal possible case
    Naomh Muire Donegal positive case
    Truagh Gaels Monaghan positive case
    Argideen Rangers Cork possible case
    Glanworth Cork positive case
    Ballinascarty Cork possible case
    St Oliver Plunketts Cork possible case
    Claughan Limerick positive case
    St Patricks Limerick positive case
    Ahane Limerick possible case
    Cappamore Limerick possible case
    St Kierans Limerick possible case
    Cratloe Clare 6 positive cases
    Clondegad Clare possible case
    Clerihan Tipperary possible case
    Ballinahinch Tipperary possible case
    Eastern Harps Sligo possible case
    Kinvara Galway outbreak in the community
    Moy Davitts Mayo possible case
    Loughmore Mayo possible case
    Balla Mayo outbreak in the community
    Louisburgh Mayo outbreak in the community
    Strokestown Roscommon possible case

What point are you making?
    Some of these clubs are already back in action after a very brief suspension of activities for one or more teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Real danger that local championships can't be finished now, hopefully the new restrictions have the desired effect and the bottle is kept on. In hindsight, and ignoring all the club vs county stuff, would it have been easier to manage the inter county championship first...even without spectators the streaming revenue would have supported it surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's not entirely financial, but it's a major part of Elite level Gaa these days.
    It's what the Super 8's are about, the SKY tv deal, the Fenway/New York Classic, Gala dinners for the GPA (and some counties) in the US to raise funds.
    The game is being run with finnance as one of the primary issues, and those at the top will find it much easier to see the Championship called off, if they no there's no major financial incentive to run it !

robbiezero wrote: »
    What point are you making?
    Some of these clubs are already back in action after a very brief suspension of activities for one or more teams.

Most of players testing positive showed no symptoms. Only tested because they were in contact with someone else, and then matches cancelled.

An inter county championship behind closed doors would be a mockery. Better to call it off.

Big Ears wrote: »
    It's not entirely financial, but it's a major part of Elite level Gaa these days.
    It's what the Super 8's are about, the SKY tv deal, the Fenway/New York Classic, Gala dinners for the GPA (and some counties) in the US to raise funds.
    The game is being run with finnance as one of the primary issues, and those at the top will find it much easier to see the Championship called off, if they no there's no major financial incentive to run it !

If running the championship behind closed doors was going to cost a fortune I'd fully understand it not being run - but that's obviously not the case. It costs very little to stage games with no supporters.

However, if the championship isn't run because there is no money to be made, then quite frankly, the Association needs to take a good long hard look at itself. It would be crystal clear then that the Association is only motivated by money not the good of the games.

Most of players testing positive showed no symptoms. Only tested because they were in contact with someone else, and then matches cancelled.

An inter county championship behind closed doors would be a mockery. Better to call it off.

A mockery of what exactly? Do all the league games that no one turns up to watch make a mockery of the game?

If anything, not staging it when it were possible in any way would be a real kick to those that were training and preparing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I heard the same arguments when it was decided to keep supporters off the field after the all Ireland, the game is about the players not the supporters...if the games can go ahead behind closed doors then so be it, every game can be streamed for a fee which shuld recoup any expenses...

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I heard the same arguments when it was decided to keep supporters off the field after the all Ireland, the game is about the players not the supporters...if the games can go ahead behind closed doors then so be it, every game can be streamed for a fee which shuld recoup any expenses...

:rolleyes:

You are truly imbued with the spirit of the association ....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

After the Examiner story about golf in Galway I’m a lot more confident about Championship taking place at worst behind closed doors but I think in reality there will be spectators. The Government will have to be seen to give something back after this and I think sports in general will be the big winner

Getting rid of the minister in question is all they should be doing.

Getting rid of the minister in question is all they should be doing.

He's gone.

He's gone.

That should be it then. There’s no need to relax regulations as some sort of ‘offer’ to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

scrubs33 wrote: »
    After the Examiner story about golf in Galway I’m a lot more confident about Championship taking place at worst behind closed doors but I think in reality there will be spectators. The Government will have to be seen to give something back after this and I think sports in general will be the big winner

Dont think it will work that way. In any case, NPHET are not the government and probably the last thing the government need to do right now is to go against the advice of public health experts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If running the championship behind closed doors was going to cost a fortune I'd fully understand it not being run - but that's obviously not the case. It costs very little to stage games with no supporters.

However, if the championship isn't run because there is no money to be made, then quite frankly, the Association needs to take a good long hard look at itself. It would be crystal clear then that the Association is only motivated by money not the good of the games.

It might not cost much to stage the games themselves, but the expenses for preparing inter county teams are as high as ever. Since most counties have had their income decimated I'd imagine they'll be expecting GAA HQ to foot the bill. That could be a major cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heimdallr

Ok

Yes it will be expensive for counties but perhaps it's time anyway for a cull of the second coach-load full of hangers on. The counties themselves will have to cut their cloth.

You should of left it at "I don't understand this". It costs an average of €3k per training session for each county for each code. With no money from gates, no fundraisers, and many counties already in deficits, it's a serious situation for the association

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Heimdallr wrote: »
    You should of left it at "I don't understand this". It costs an average of €3k per training session for each county for each code. With no money from gates, no fundraisers, and many counties already in deficits, it's a serious situation for the association

Isn't there a possibility that if there's no inter county championship that the gaa would be in breach of the TV contracts with Sky and Rte and could lose out on that money or have to pay a percentage of it back if the money has already been drawn down?

Heimdallr wrote: »

That money has largely been already spent. Sunk cost.

If it's costly that much well then counties should be asking themselves why it it. Perhaps the expenses which have been doubling up as payments need to go as well as the coterie of hangers on that surround these teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

scrubs33 wrote: »
    After the Examiner story about golf in Galway I’m a lot more confident about Championship taking place at worst behind closed doors

I don't think there is much doubt about the Championship being allowed to go ahead behind closed doors. The question is would the GAA itself want to do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement