Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

People shouldn't get to decide for themselves, they should be doing as they're told.

I’m sorry but why? Why do you say that? Do we need to be given such guidance on every aspect of life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

People shouldn't get to decide for themselves, they should be doing as they're told. The GAA and everyone I've heard involved with it have been nothing short of a disgrace. It's a ****ing hobby.

Perhaps you regard it as a hobby. But I'm sure there are many players at both inter county and club level who would view their participation in GAA as more then just a hobby. For quite a few its an intrinsic part of their life

ShyMets wrote: »
    Perhaps you regard it as a hobby. But I'm sure there are many players at both inter county and club level who would view their participation in GAA as more then just a hobby. For quite a few its an intrinsic part of their life

And to add to that, there are many employed both directly and indirectly by the GAA whose lives have been affected. Knitting is a hobby. The GAA is an industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ample anecdotal evidence social distancing wasn't been complied with either.

I experienced same in person at a few games I attended.
    I could say the same about supermarkets, restaurants a trip to the beach etc the facts are GAA Club games have gone behind closed doors because of the so called issue of supporters carpooling and meeting up after games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just came across this on what Wexford did with their championships. A way forward?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0825/1161151-model-countys-new-model-proves-a-hit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just came across this on what Wexford did with their championships. A way forward?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0825/1161151-model-countys-new-model-proves-a-hit/

I'd prefer football and hurling in alternate weeks personally. That's what Meath have done and we have plenty of time to get the bodies right and work on anything that went wrong in a game, with a fortnight between games. If it was just a week it would be very hard on the bodies and no time to prepare right imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saying the above, I watched the Wexford championship whenever it was on telly and it was hugely enjoyable and the final was a brilliant standard of hurling so maybe they have it right. Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

dobman88 wrote: »
    Saying the above, I watched the Wexford championship whenever it was on telly and it was hugely enjoyable and the final was a brilliant standard of hurling so maybe they have it right. Who knows.
    the big thing is I'd say 80% or 90% of players in wexford are dual, in my own club the panel is pretty much the same in both codes with 11 or 12 lads on the starting 15 in both, in cork for example there might in football only clubs in west cork and hurling only in the east of the county.

It was only done to accommodate Fitzgerald, won't end up that way when he's moved on.

The standard of club hurling in Wexford is always good anyway, it's not a result of rushing a championship. Would be a dangerous way to go.

• Advertisement

It was only done to accommodate Fitzgerald, won't end up that way when he's moved on.

The standard of club hurling in Wexford is always good anyway, it's not a result of rushing a championship. Would be a dangerous way to go.
    ehh not really 28 of a panel of 32 in 2019 are dual players at club level.

Your reply was expected as much as a Phil Hogan breach of quarantine rules, the wexford football captain likes the format, suppose you won't let the truth get in the way of your agenda.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/split-season-is-the-way-forward-for-club-and-county-wexford-captain-brian-malone-39439880.html

ehh not really 28 of a panel of 32 in 2019 are dual players at club level.

Your reply was expected as much as a Phil Hogan breach of quarantine rules, the wexford football captain likes the format, suppose you won't let the truth get in the way of your agenda.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/split-season-is-the-way-forward-for-club-and-county-wexford-captain-brian-malone-39439880.html

So it wasn't done for that reason? :D

So it wasn't done for that reason? :D
    Wexford is the most county dual probably in Ireland in terms of players playing dual with their clubs, that's the reason, this format has proved very popular among club players by all accounts.

is_that_so wrote: »

main stumbling block I believe would be county champion potentially having to wait 6 plus weeks for a provincial club game depending on which code is run 1st, obviously not an issue this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Toughest Summer after a thoroughly depressing introduction is turning into a quite an uplifting experience demonstrating what a wonderful organisation the GAA is and how much we all miss the on field action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

seligehgit wrote: »
    Toughest Summer after a thoroughly depressing introduction is turning into a quite an uplifting experience demonstrating what a wonderful organisation the GAA is and how much we all miss the on field action.

Very good program capturing just how much the GAA means to the people involved. So much negativity portrayed about the GAA from people who don’t really understand its importance to communities all over the country. Loved the story about the hurling in Ballyhaunis and the young lad from Pakistan.

• Advertisement

Good timing for a fluff piece considering the recent behaviour of the association.

Good timing for a fluff piece considering the recent behaviour of the association.
    Irrelevant comment from an irrelevant contributor....

Irrelevant comment from an irrelevant contributor....

Because I dared question little Davy? You've only the bee in your bonnet since then so you'd be better with the ignore function if you've nothing to actually add other than getting personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Because I dared question little Davy? You've only the bee in your bonnet since then so you'd be better with the ignore function if you've nothing to actually add other than getting personal.

Bit much to be talking about getting personal when you've called wider society a bunch of "selfish c*nts" a few times the last couple of months.

Bit much to be talking about getting personal when you've called wider society a bunch of "selfish c*nts" a few times the last couple of months.

Are people wanting to do what suits them for unselfish reasons then? What did I miss?

• Advertisement

another irrelevant comment from an irrelevant contributor.

You need to cope better with challenging your views...

Nah, you are out of line. I agree with others for whatever weight that holds, if any. There is nobody trying to kill any old people. If old people are at risk through attendance at GAA matches (and I believe they are not), then they need to stay shielded and protected elsewhere whilst the association does what it was founded to do, which is promote the Gaelic games. I mean your comments are illogical in just so many ways. Such is modern technology that the individuals who would shield, can still remain safe while watching games online. Your method involves mass discontinuation of all activities and for what? Who does that serve. So illogical are your jottings that without leaving the thread, I’m just going to try to move beyond anything you say from here on in, but I’ll leave you with this: yesterday I received word that several games development officers in the Leinster area were made redundant, amongst them two close friends of mine. The reason for this is that the budget has dried up due to a lack of activity. There are four people who will need to think twice about paying their electricity bill this morning and who will also have to deal with the sh1tstorm of mental health issues that come with having fck all to do all day, alongside a lost identity. Casual workers will have fallen too, many who work the gate at county and inter county games - many of them old. Why don’t you do everyone here the kindest of favours and shove a fist down your bitter, nanny state, paranoid, health and safety throat for the sake of sanity? It might give you something that is actually worth worrying about.

another irrelevant comment from an irrelevant contributor.

You need to cope better with challenging your views...

You've added zero yet again. No issue til your little parochial face went red about a completely separate subject. Joker.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Nah, you are out of line. I agree with others for whatever weight that holds, if any. There is nobody trying to kill any old people. If old people are at risk through attendance at GAA matches (and I believe they are not), then they need to stay shielded and protected elsewhere whilst the association does what it was founded to do, which is promote the Gaelic games. I mean your comments are illogical in just so many ways. Such is modern technology that the individuals who would shield, can still remain safe while watching games online. Your method involves mass discontinuation of all activities and for what? Who does that serve. So illogical are your jottings that without leaving the thread, I’m just going to try to move beyond anything you say from here on in, but I’ll leave you with this: yesterday I received word that several games development officers in the Leinster area were made redundant, amongst them two close friends of mine. The reason for this is that the budget has dried up due to a lack of activity. There are four people who will need to think twice about paying their electricity bill this morning and who will also have to deal with the sh1tstorm of mental health issues that come with having fck all to do all day, alongside a lost identity. Casual workers will have fallen too, many who work the gate at county and inter county games - many of them old. Why don’t you do everyone here the kindest of favours and shove a fist down your bitter, nanny state, paranoid, health and safety throat for the sake of sanity? It might give you something that is actually worth worrying about.

"I want to go to matches"

Anything you say can just be summed up by translating it into that.
    And you still haven't wrapped your little mind around a virus spreading the most people are free to do as they please if you think just stopping elderly people going to matches and bursting on is the answer to all.

You've added zero yet again. No issue til your little parochial face went red about a completely separate subject. Joker.
    and your lecturing others about getting personal?

and your lecturing others about getting personal?

Hardly lecturing. Especially if I'm joining in.

You've zero to add but you're still angry about something completely unrelated. Save that crap for when there's matches.

Hardly lecturing. Especially if I'm joining in.

You've zero to add but you're still angry about something completely unrelated. Save that crap for when there's matches.
    OK so if I've nothing to add why did I give a detailed explanation yesterday of the 2 championships in wexford run separately, you're actually bizarre, bit like phil hogan 1 rule for you and another for everyone else.

You're best to be ignored

OK so if I've nothing to add why did I give a detailed explanation yesterday of the 2 championships in wexford run separately, you're actually bizarre, bit like phil hogan 1 rule for you and another for everyone else.

You're best to be ignored

You don't understand do you? Surely the ones looking crowds matches are the ones looking rules just for themselves.

Ignore would be the best option though, settle yourself a bit.

You don't understand do you? Surely the ones looking crowds matches are the ones looking rules just for themselves.

Ignore would be the best option though, settle yourself a bit.
    Calling the whole of society selfish c*nts and then losing your mind when challenged is what I'm referring too.

Everyone just ignore this person...

Calling the whole of society selfish c*nts and then losing your mind when challenged is what I'm referring too.

Everyone just ignore this person...

Losing my mind? You're absolutely delusional, you never had a problem with anything until your precious club championships and the reason for them was queationed.

The last sentence/plea is on the fine line between hilarious and sad.

• Advertisement

Losing my mind? You're absolutely delusional, you never had a problem with anything until your precious club championships and the reason for them was queationed.

The last sentence/plea is on the fine line between hilarious and sad.
    so calling someone delusional isn't personal? more evidence of the Phil Hogan comparison....

so calling someone delusional isn't personal? more evidence of the Phil Hogan comparison....

Clutching now. Press ignore, calm down.

Clutching now. Press ignore, calm down.
    taught it was a valid point, conveniently you didn't address it. Pots and kettles spring to mind...

taught it was a valid point, conveniently you didn't address it. Pots and kettles spring to mind...

You didn't. You actually made a completely incorrect point. No pots, no kettles, no Phil Hogans.

Look, you won't change my mind on what I think (or will the other lad) no matter how much you rant or how much you fabricate.

You didn't. You actually made a completely incorrect point. No pots, no kettles, no Phil Hogans.
    I didn't do what? That comment makes no sense...

Look, you won't change my mind on what I think (or will the other lad) no matter how much you rant or how much you fabricate.
    we not even trying to change your mind...

I didn't do what? That comment makes no sense...

You didn't make a valid point. That was obvious and you're completely embarrassing yourself now.

You didn't make a valid point. That was obvious and you're completely embarrassing yourself now.
    that's your opinion which you've have shown is best ignored

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Billy Ocean and ReginaldSmythV (and others), please take a step away and ease off on the inflammatory posts. You're both equally culpable in this and a lot of your posts are, at best, bordering on personal abuse.
    Again, it's fine to have differing views on this topic and defend them, but try to do so in a mature way (i.e. not calling people "selfish" or "irrelevant").
    Threadbans will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Posters with a clear agenda against GAA shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Anyone that ever wants to understand what the GAA means to the people of Ireland should watch last night's excellent documentary.

Anyone that ever wants to understand what the GAA means to the people of Ireland should watch last night's excellent documentary.

A bit of censorship of what you don't agree with?
    I'm not interested in another slanging match with someone else but surely differing views are allowed, the same as they are on numerous other sections of this website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

surely differing views are allowed, .

:)

That is exactly what you are denying the GAA and others should have.

Meanwhile, HSE person at Dáil committee today said they are testing 55,000 people a week and finding 0.13% positive.

It is the increased testing - heading for 1,000,000 now - that explains the increase in cases - not some dangerous new twist to the tale.

And as we know almost no deaths or even ICU cases in weeks.

They are the facts, the science that goes in the face of the panic. To credit of state, they have learned from first wave to better protect the elderly.

That is why almost no-one is dying.

Just to clarify with the majority of posters I've no interest in the stuff earlier but if someone is going to post slander like that on last night's excellent documentary, leave irrational comments and act like a borderline bully all to suit their own agenda whatever the agenda is,I won't give them a pass, I'll stand up to them.

I won't be engaging with that poster going forward so no point them even replying to this.

Apologises to everyone else for all the annoying stuff earlier wont happen again.

Just to clarify with the majority of posters I've no interest in the stuff earlier but if someone is going to post slander like that on last night's excellent documentary, leave irrational comments and act like a borderline bully I won't give them a pass, I'll stand up to them.

I won't be engaging with that poster going forward so no point them even replying to this.

Apologises to everyone else for all the annoying stuff earlier wont happen again.

"But I want the last word"

Good lad, you're the hero everyone has been waiting for. Nopointinreplying x1000 :D

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :)

That is exactly what you are denying the GAA and others should have.

Meanwhile, HSE person at Dáil committee today said they are testing 55,000 people a week and finding 0.13% positive.

It is the increased testing - heading for 1,000,000 now - that explains the increase in cases - not some dangerous new twist to the tale.

And as we know almost no deaths or even ICU cases in weeks.

They are the facts, the science that goes in the face of the panic. To credit of state, they have learned from first wave to better protect the elderly.

That is why almost no-one is dying.

I'm denying nobody anything, I just think anyone wanting crowds at games at this stage are wrong and I can fully see the rationale behind not allowing rather than this "ban everything except what I want" attitude. The GAA singling themselves out as a special case is what's amplified it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just to clarify with the majority of posters I've no interest in the stuff earlier but if someone is going to post slander like that on last night's excellent documentary, leave irrational comments and act like a borderline bully all to suit their own agenda whatever the agenda is,I won't give them a pass, I'll stand up to them.

"But I want the last word"

Good lad, you're the hero everyone has been waiting for. Nopointinreplying x1000 :D

Mod Note

Billy Ocean and ReginaldSmythV are no longer permitted to post on this thread for ignoring a mod warning in post #1440.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm denying nobody anything, I just think anyone wanting crowds at games at this stage are wrong and I can fully see the rationale behind not allowing rather than this "ban everything except what I want" attitude. The GAA singling themselves out as a special case is what's amplified it more.

It just happens that we all here - yourself and Billy and most others - are GAA people and regular posters on games etc. So obviously what happens to hurling and football is important.

Its not the most important thing of course. I feel same about schools and think we've allowed panic to take precedence over a more rational approach.

Numbers and way it spreads to me don't justify what is starting to look like an indefinite period of restrictions out of all proportion to the virus and to the sensible measures that can be taken, especially with regard to those most vulnerable.

The huge numbers of deaths in care homes for example had nothing to do with anyone else not going to work or matches or school. Other countries have proven that.

Which is why deaths are down as elderly are more protected. The egoistic fear i hear from people who think that everyone else is a threat to them and their children where little or no threat exists is getting to be tiresome. Time for people to show a bit more of what makes us what we are instead of cowering in corners terrified of everyone we meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

enjoyed it

Is Ann Downey a teacher ?? she has that kind of personality/temperament. Seems a very tough woman that wont take **** from any of the lads

PTH2009 wrote: »
    enjoyed it

Is Ann Downey a teacher ?? she has that kind of personality/temperament. Seems a very tough woman that wont take **** from any of the lads

Her twin Angela was a teacher but she is not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Can someone clarify what the current restrictions are on training? Is it definitely a limit of 15 (which includes coaches) or has there been some agreement to relax this restriction? Also does that apply to both underage and adult training?

• Advertisement
Advertisement