Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

arctictree wrote: »
    From my reading of it, at level 3, club championship IS allowed, at any level. Training is limited to senior teams only.

All juvenile games are off at Level 3 , but juvenile teams can still train .
    Ridiculous really , I manage a juvenile team and have followed the rules for matches .
    Players sanitise hands before and after match
    Equipment sanitised before and after match
    No shaking hands
    One spectator per child socially distanced
    Health questionnaire completed before all games
    All players who have to restrict movements have done it .
    No lift sharing .

If everyone is doing the above , I don't see why games can't continue . Younger players have worked so hard since lockdown ended to get fitness levels back up and for what , a total of 4 competitive matches .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

All juvenile games are off at Level 3 , but juvenile teams can still train .
    Ridiculous really , I manage a juvenile team and have followed the rules for matches .
    Players sanitise hands before and after match
    Equipment sanitised before and after match
    No shaking hands
    One spectator per child socially distanced
    Health questionnaire completed before all games
    All players who have to restrict movements have done it .
    No lift sharing .

If everyone is doing the above , I don't see why games can't continue . Younger players have worked so hard since lockdown ended to get fitness levels back up and for what , a total of 4 competitive matches .

Can you quote me where you think it says that juvenile games are off at level 3 and training is on?

As far as I can see training is off except for senior club championship. And all club championship games are on. Depends how you define 'club championship'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Can you quote me where you think it says that juvenile games are off at level 3 and training is on?

As far as I can see training is off except for senior club championship. And all club championship games are on. Depends how you define 'club championship'.

In the diagram published no games or events it says at Level 3 but i'm not sure about training or what counts as "events"

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#sports

Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#sports

Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Yes, so no training except for senior club championship.
    Matches and events

No matches or events to take place.

Exemption: professional/elite/inter-county/club championship/horse-racing can take place behind closed doors.

Matches allowed for club championship. No mention of senior only there.

It would be a bit daft to say club senior could go ahead but intermediate/junior couldn't. What would be safer or more important about senior grade players.

big_drive wrote: »
    It would be a bit daft to say club senior could go ahead but intermediate/junior couldn't. What would be safer or more important about senior grade players.

Yeah, but does it mean underage too? They kind of left it open to interpretation. And also, why can only the seniors train and not the intermediates/juniors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah, but does it mean underage too? They kind of left it open to interpretation. And also, why can only the seniors train and not the intermediates/juniors?

I assumed that senior in this context meant adult teams and not underage but now that you mention it senior means a very specific thing in both GAA and soccer here.

My take would be that underage is included and this is all levels

LGFA have clarified their position and it's usually on a par with GAA.

If a county moves to Level 3, underage training must be on a non-contact basis in pods of up to 15. Adult teams can continue to train as normal

If a county moves to a Level 3 classification, no spectators are permitted, but adult club and county matches can continue to take place behind closed doors. Underage games cannot take place (U-18 or below)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

I think the GAA should consider having all pronvincial finals and all Ireland’s finals in one of the 6 counties this year, as they would get an extra few hundred people into the games. Colm Parkinson in the GAA Hour mentioned it and I think it would be a great idea the likes of the Athletic grounds in Armagh or Pairc Esler in Down are two nice grounds that would be able to host these games.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    I think the GAA should consider having all pronvincial finals and all Ireland’s finals in one of the 6 counties this year, as they would get an extra few hundred people into the games. Colm Parkinson in the GAA Hour mentioned it and I think it would be a great idea the likes of the Athletic grounds in Armagh or Pairc Esler in Down are two nice grounds that would be able to host these games.

I would have zero interest in seeing the Munster hurling or football final played in any of those venues. For the few hundred spectators that could go from the competing counties why would you drag them 4/5 hours up the country?

Bringing someone from West Kerry to Armagh or Down? Daft suggestion. Its just like something not thought out that Parkinson would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Seriously? There's absolutely zero chance the GAA will even consider doing something like this. Moving games across the border to intentionally circumvent major public health measures set by the government?

Can you imagine how much anger such a move would generate both within and without the association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why bother when it would be for a few hundred people more and what good would it be for?
    It would be intentionally circumventing public health measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Seems an awful lot of hassle just to accommodate an extra 200 people.

Cork Vs. Limerick isn't an unlikely Munster SH final pairing. The idea of players and fans from those bordering counties having to travel for 4 hours to play a provincial match is farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

Nah - that would be a ridiculous idea and would come at a great cost to the GAA's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Better have no championship than something as idiotic as that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

So I take it with these new guidelines coming that if you live in Dublin but play adult club championship in another county you can't travel to play for your club? Even though club championship in Dublin will be able to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

franglan wrote: »
    So I take it with these new guidelines coming that if you live in Dublin but play adult club championship in another county you can't travel to play for your club? Even though club championship in Dublin will be able to continue.

Oh interesting thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If this level 3 comes into effect there will be no matches in Dublin.

A few people die and they close the country down.

I have read that there will be an exception for professional sports and adult championship gaa? I know recommendations are to be finalised. My question is still valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I have read that there will be an exception for professional sports and adult championship gaa? I know recommendations are to be finalised. My question is still valid.

The LGFA usually align themselves to the GAA line and they released their guidelines earlier.

big_drive wrote: »
    I would have zero interest in seeing the Munster hurling or football final played in any of those venues. For the few hundred spectators that could go from the competing counties why would you drag them 4/5 hours up the country?

Bringing someone from West Kerry to Armagh or Down? Daft suggestion. Its just like something not thought out that Parkinson would suggest

Ok maybe not provincial finals, but they could consider All Ireland finals for the year that’s in it. It would be a great occasion to have an All Ireland Hurling final up in Ulster, if they GAA can bring an All Ireland final to New York like they done in 1947, why can’t they have one in one of the 6 counties. If not up in Ulster they should at the very least bring the All Ireland final out of Croke Park and Dublin and move it to a provincial ground that would be able to generate a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

So I take it with these new guidelines coming that if you live in Dublin but play adult club championship in another county you can't travel to play for your club?

Yes. If you live in Dublin, you're being asked to not leave the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yes. If you live in Dublin, you're being asked to not leave the county.

So business as usual for the footballers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

So business as usual for the footballers?

Not sure what you mean. The poster lives in Dublin but plays football in another county which I'm assuming is his home club but it's being advised people living in Dublin dont leave the county, therefore he shouldn't if he is abiding by the guidelines.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. The poster lives in Dublin but plays football in another county which I'm assuming is his home club but it's being advised people living in Dublin dont leave the county, therefore he shouldn't if he is abiding by the guidelines.

Correct, play for my home club in a county outside of Dublin. Think the comment on the Dublin footballers is tongue in cheek as the intercounty team panel are all based in Dublin and don't need to commute. #thatsthejoke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They get Dublin out of croke park for the full championship yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Correct, play for my home club in a county outside of Dublin. Think the comment on the Dublin footballers is tongue in cheek as the intercounty team panel are all based in Dublin and don't need to commute. #thatsthejoke...

It was tongue in cheek, also a reference to the ongoing complaint that the Dublin footballers are never asked to leave Dublin to play an important match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ok maybe not provincial finals, but they could consider All Ireland finals for the year that’s in it. It would be a great occasion to have an All Ireland Hurling final up in Ulster, if they GAA can bring an All Ireland final to New York like they done in 1947, why can’t they have one in one of the 6 counties. If not up in Ulster they should at the very least bring the All Ireland final out of Croke Park and Dublin and move it to a provincial ground that would be able to generate a better atmosphere.
    As was mentioned before, it would look terrible for the GAA to go out of their way to circumvent the Covid-19 regulations by moving a game to NI.

• Advertisement

Since when have all ireland finals not had good atmospheres?
    And again it wouldnt be a good thing for the GAA to try actively avoid covid regulations by doing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If it was to be played in Ulster it would be fantastic.
    However, the reality is there is no playing surface in any ulster ground that would be anywhere near that of Croke Park in the month of December. Hurling more so than football really needs to be played on a good surface. If the finals were in summer conditions i would be all for it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

You're only being asked not to leave Dublin. I'm sure playing GAA is very important to you as you are probably travelling up and down the country for matches and trainings and wouldn't do so unless important to you. If it is important to you I think contact your club and let them know you want to go down and play and let them make the decision.

As was mentioned before, it would look terrible for the GAA to go out of their way to circumvent the Covid-19 regulations by moving a game to NI.

I don’t get that argument the GAA is an all island organisation, so surely the GAA should be able to have games in whatever venue they want. Anyway the governments Covid-19 regulations are ridiculous and they haven’t a clue what their on about so I think it would be brilliant if the GAA decided to have the All Ireland finals up in one of the 6 counties even it was just to give the two fingers to NPHET and the government.

I don’t get that argument the GAA is an all island organisation, so surely the GAA should be able to have games in whatever venue they want. Anyway the governments Covid-19 regulations are ridiculous and they haven’t a clue what their on about so I think it would be brilliant if the GAA decided to have the All Ireland finals up in one of the 6 counties even it was just to give the two fingers to NPHET and the government.
    What would GAA gain from giving "two fingers to NPHET and the government"?
    The GAA is an all island organisation and hasnt played an all ireland final in 6 counties ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What would GAA gain from giving "two fingers to NPHET and the government"?
    The GAA is an all island organisation and hasnt played an all ireland final in 6 counties ever.

Incorrect.
    Mayo beat Derry in the 1983 u21 football final replay.
    Played Irvinestown Co. Fermanagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

[/b]
    Incorrect.
    Mayo beat Derry in the 1983 u21 football final replay.
    Played Irvinestown Co. Fermanagh.

The poster is obviously referring to All Ireland senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

PTH2009 wrote:
    They get Dublin out of croke park for the full championship yet

If that happens and Dublin win Sam again, our country cousins have 3 months notice to come up with reasons why Dublin don't deserve to win it.

Hopefully they come up with something different this time as opposed to the crap we've being hearing since 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What?? :confused:

If that happens and Dublin win Sam again, our country cousins have 3 months notice to come up with reasons why Dublin don't deserve to win it.

Hopefully they come up with something different this time as opposed to the crap we've being hearing since 2015.

Enlighten me, who has in any way come up with reason why Dublin didnt deserve to win those titles? Seriously, whats your issue, nobody is disputing your teams greatness but why some Dub fans feel the need to go down this road and play the victim is beyond me. Im saying this a Mayo fan, there isnt one instant i can even point to that in any way delegitimises your AI wins, enjoy them ffs and grow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Considering the All-Irelands were depending on government funding to go ahead to deliberately give the "two fingers" to them would be an unwise decision by the GAA for the sake of 200 fans or so.

Enlighten me, who has in any way come up with reason why Dublin didnt deserve to win those titles? Seriously, whats your issue, nobody is disputing your teams greatness but why some Dub fans feel the need to go down this road and play the victim is beyond me. Im saying this a Mayo fan, there isnt one instant i can even point to that in any way delegitimises your AI wins, enjoy them ffs and grow up

FFS seriously?

Have a read of the all Ireland threads of yesteryear on this site.

Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Whatever people think about the restrictions, the last thing the GAA should be doing is to be looking at ways to 'get around' the public health advice in the Republic. There is an onus on the GAA to behave a lot more responsibly than that.

Whatever people think about the restrictions, the last thing the GAA should be doing is to be looking at ways to 'get around' the public health advice in the Republic. There is an onus on the GAA to behave a lot more responsibly than that.

Personally i doubt it will happen.

It would be a pr disaster if they did and leave a bad taste for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Personally i doubt it will happen.

It would be a pr disaster if they did and leave a bad taste for a long time to come.

It won't happen. As far as I understand (from reading this thread), it was just a suggestion on the GAA Hour. And not actually coming anywhere official from GAA.

It probably won’t happen but it’s crazy that only 200 people are allowed into matches, the Tipp Hurling County Final is on this weekend in Thurles which can hold around 45,000 and to think that they couldn’t allowed more into that game is crazy. Most GAA grounds county grounds can hold at least 15,000 so it’s crazy to think that they couldn’t allow 1,000 people into these games which satisfy a lot of the demand for most county finals.

I know of pubs that weren’t serving food that have found ways around the measures such as getting in food from takeaways nearby or restaurants nearby, and nothing was done to these pubs so what would be wrong with the GAA bringing games up to the North if the government don’t increase the number of people allowed into games. Considering that the GAA have acted responsible so far, then they surely would be perfectly entitled to bring games to wherever they want to.

FFS seriously?

Have a read of the all Ireland threads of yesteryear on this site.

Jesus christ.

It was you that brought it up and i asked you to enlighten me but no surprise you cant apart. Im sure there are some idiotic posts you can point too but they would be very much in a small minority

It was you that brought it up and i asked you to enlighten me but no surprise you cant apart. Im sure there are some idiotic posts you can point too but they would be very much in a small minority

What are talking about that i cant. I just have.

You have acknowledged this above also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lads, drop the Dublin talk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If there was a Republic then there would be no issue about playing games in any part of the country.

Some people seem to think the virus behaves differently somewhere between Magheraveely and clones :)

Advertisement