Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

BloodyBill wrote: »
    For the Gaelic it would cause problems if Northern Ireland was locked down but not an issue for running off the Liam McCarthy .

Antrim says hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Antrim says hello.

Aren't they in the Joe McDonagh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Antrim says hello.

They can say it all they want, it won't get them into the Liam mccarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If the current trends persist the country will likely move to level 4 lockdown which will spell the end of the championship or at the very least delay it's commencement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

seligehgit wrote: »
    If the current trends persist the country will likely move to level 4 lockdown which will spell the end of the championship or at the very least delay it's commencement.

According to the Governments plan, level 4 sports are treated the same as level 3 just behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the government row back on that however.

According to the Governments plan, level 4 sports are treated the same as level 3 just behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the government row back on that however.

Mea culpa.

I browsed it again.

Ta an ceart agat.:)

I'd still be shocked all the same if the championship was not at the very least postponed and more than likely cancelled if the current trends continue irrespective of whether the games can be played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

PTH2009 wrote:
    Thats the championship gone now, ****ing *****

Tweet unavailable.

What did it say?

• Advertisement

Tweet unavailable.

What did it say?

Nationwide levdl 4 incoming.

RTE reporter tweeting that he has been told that the letter asks for levrl 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

This is a joke. The government needs to grow a pair and tell them level 4 only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Am I right in thinking level 4 might allow the championships to go ahead BCD and level 5 kills it completely ??

Need something positive

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking level 4 might allow the championships to go ahead BCD and level 5 kills it completely ??

Need something positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PTH2009 wrote: »

Might is the operative word. I think we're going to get Level 4 with knobs on that will involve the cancellation of all contact team sports

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Lads if we go to level 4 the optics of having a championship will do a lot of long term damage: no amount of waffling about national spirit will stand if businesses are closing left right and centre. GAA could steal a right march here and say championship is delayed until we get back on our feet.

Need something positive

Looks like the GAA had better get the Club championships completed by next weekend. After that it may be too late for this year. If things keep going the way they are any chance of any inter county matches going ahead for the rest of 2020 look to be dead in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was watching the Meath final, **** all social distancing, fans on top of each other in the stand.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Was watching the Meath final, **** all social distancing, fans on top of each other in the stand.

Which is largely why positive cases are rising the way they are.

The video from Cork doesn't look great either.

winning a championship is going to gather scenes of joy and people hugging etc

If the FAI and IRFU can still run games through this and get away it similar stuff why cant the GAA ??

The video from Cork doesn't look great either.

Which video is that?

Which video is that?

The one that is all over social media of the massive gathering when the team met the fans afterwards. Doesn't play very well at all considering what is being proposed by NPHET.

If the FAI and IRFU can still run games through this and get away it similar stuff why cant the GAA ??

Evidence that soccer and rugby fans are doing 'similar stuff' (in Ireland)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

To be fair though, nobody cares about the LOI so it's pretty easy to maintain social distancing.

To be fair though, nobody cares about the LOI so it's pretty easy to maintain social distancing.

If you believe that then you are seriously mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Dumb comment particularly after last week and Dundalks European performances and Europa League group draw.

At this stage there's no chance any spectators will be allowed at Championship matches and if we do go to level 5 the running of the championship is in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

kksaints wrote: »
    Dumb comment particularly after last week and Dundalks European performances and Europa League group draw.

At this stage there's no chance any spectators will be allowed at Championship matches and if we do go to level 5 the running of the championship is in doubt.

Level 5 and its no championship

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Level 5 and its no championship

The NPHET letter mentioned a level 5 lasting 4 weeks. If the level 5 lasted 4 weeks only (doubtful) it might be possible to run the Championships off in a truncated manner with each round run off every week with no breaks.

If the country does go into level 5 then the GAA Championship along with all other sporting events will be halted no doubt about it. Even if it doesn`t and the Championship does go ahead there is now zero chance of any spectators being allowed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

The NPHET letter mentioned a level 5 lasting 4 weeks. If the level 5 lasted 4 weeks only (doubtful) it might be possible to run the Championships off in a truncated manner with each round run off every week with no breaks.
    You expect ameture players with no contact for 4/5 weeks just to turn up and play 😊 The amount of injuries would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

In Melbourne it’s now an average of 12 cases per day having been up at similar numbers to Ireland a few weeks ago. It does show that the second lockdown has worked so I presume government will be looking at examples of other countries

I’d stick it for 4 weeks if I thought that would solve it rather than go on in bits and pieces for next 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You expect ameture players with no contact for 4/5 weeks just to turn up and play 😊 The amount of injuries would be crazy.

Yeah I think the championship is gone unfortunately.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Yeah I think the championship is gone unfortunately.

If the country is put on level 5 then the GAA will scrap the Championship for 2020 you can be sure of that.

Let it run into January or February then and have two weeks of a pre season training. They've been training with the clubs since June so they should have base level fitness already. Would be unlikely to lose all of their fitness in 4 weeks particularly as they would be training individually. I'm not saying it should be done but it is an option.

I think letting in run into next year would be messy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lads I've been saying this on the main Covid thread for quite a long time and I think it needs to be said here.

The GAA does not realise the privileged position it has been put in in allowing it to continue its activities as an AMATEUR organisation.

GAA players are in close contact with each other when training and playing. Forget about your club COVID officers (volunteers who in most cases couldn't care less), that's just how it is plain and simple. These are players that have day jobs where they potentially interact with up to one hundred people (especially teachers).

The screaming for spectators to be allowed in was disgraceful and since they have been, they have shown exactly why they shouldn't have been allowed in. Pairc Tailteann in Navan and the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick had absolutely zero social distancing. I have enjoyed watching club games for the last few weeks but why in the name of God are players shaking hands after matches??? Have they been living under a rock since March? In terms of optics they could at least be seen to be getting the basics right.

Meanwhile, after every county final I see players huddled together on the pitch in celebration. I understand how this happens but again it just shows the GAA thinks it's above all this and the organisation who loved to blow their own trumpet about how they stopped activities in March have been incredibly silent on the blatant disregard shown to restrictions week in week out.

I really cannot see their being a Championship of any sorts this year I think they have lost that chance now and if restrictions are going to tighten, amateur sport will fall by the way side.

Let it run into January or February then and have two weeks of a pre season training. They've been training with the clubs since June so they should have base level fitness already. Would be unlikely to lose all of their fitness in 4 weeks particularly as they would be training individually. I'm not saying it should be done but it is an option.

In what will most likely be the worst of the winter weather conditions? No if level 5 is implemented then there will be no Championship until late spring 2021 at the earliest and even that depends on the virus spread being brought back under some degree of control.

If left run into new year it could become a thrown together rushed thing
    Our climate has even changed last few years, November & December probably better now than January/February
    If it can’t be played before end of year just start fresh in new year

It’s easier to swallow given the clubs got their chance to play

In what will most likely be the worst of the winter weather conditions? No if level 5 is implemented then there will be no Championship until late spring 2021 at the earliest and even that depends on the virus spread being brought back under some degree of control.

Everything depends on the virus spread been brought back under control if level 5 is implemented and stays longer than 4 weeks the Championships are off but if the restrictions work and the level is reduced after the 4 weeks then it is possible to run some form of Championship off letting it run into next year. I don't buy this weather excuse, the gaa runs the provincial and all Ireland club Championship at this time and all the pre season competitions such as the O'Byrne and Walsh cups in the worst of the winter conditions so the players would have played and trained in those conditions before.
    It all depends on the virus spread been controlled first and then how desperately the Gaa wants/needs the Championships to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

GAA seem to be getting criticised a fair bit on social media, and on morning radio shows today. GAA were getting a lot of goodwill during the pandemic. Seems it might be running a little thin now.

GAA seem to be getting criticised a fair bit on social media, and on morning radio shows today. GAA were getting a lot of goodwill during the pandemic. Seems it might be running a little thin now.

The GAA deserved the goodwill they got during the early stages of the pandemic but also deserve the criticism they are getting recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

To be honest I see it with my own club in past couple of weeks. I haven't been at the games but watching on streams, things have got very casual. People i know from different houses shoulder to shoulder watching the games etc. Hard to keep it going i know but things have slipped

I get the concerns that its not the actual matches. Its the travelling to and from, the mingling etc

big_drive wrote: »
    To be honest I see it with my own club in past couple of weeks. I haven't been at the games but watching on streams, things have got very casual. People i know from different houses shoulder to shoulder watching the games etc. Hard to keep it going i know but things have slipped

I get the concerns that its not the actual matches. Its the travelling to and from, the mingling etc

Agreed. I am involved with a GAA club myself and this has definitely been happening in recent weeks which really negates all the health and safety measure introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Its human nature. People are at games and spot people they haven't met with ages. The natural thing is to go over have a chat, next thing you've been 20 mins or more in close contact
    I think thats where the problems are. I don't think the on field play is any issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

They are fairly inaccurate comments.

LOI clubs have been exemplary in enforcing the restrictions through this, so to use them as a means of deflection from the problems with the GAA is poor.

Where clubs felt they needed to allow nobody in, they've done so. And at other times they've run very fair (in the circumstances) programmes to allow fans in while adhering to limits and distancing. That is, by only opening certain seats, all apart.

LOI clubs can have over a thousand season ticket holders, with thousands of floating fans, despite your claim. Yet, I've not seen a video of LOI fans not adhering to social distancing while supporting their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

where has IRFU been doing similar with people hugging etc?
    Winning championships wlll bring scenes of joy which is to be expected but there has to be changes in these times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement