Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

big_drive wrote: »
    Its human nature. People are at games and spot people they haven't met with ages. The natural thing is to go over have a chat, next thing you've been 20 mins or more in close contact
    I think thats where the problems are. I don't think the on field play is any issue

Really? I attended a local GAA club minor match last Friday evening. Before the throw in both teams group huddled together for at least 3 minutes with the same thing happening at half time and again after the final whistle with both teams congratulating or consoling each other. All these players and team mentors. coaches etc. then travelled home with manyjoining up with friends to go socialiing. Perfect conditions for the virus to spread through the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Cork GAA Statement
    5th October 2020/
    Our priority throughout the pandemic has been keeping our GAA community safe.
    Anything that threatens that safety, and the very continuation of the game during COVID-19, needs to be avoided at all costs.
    To that end, we would plead with all clubs and supporters not to engage in celebrations that breach current guidelines.
    There will be county finals again next year – and we want to make sure COVID-19 does not rob some of the chance to enjoy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Really? I attended a local GAA club minor match last Friday evening. Before the throw in both teams group huddled together for at least 3 minutes with the same thing happening at half time and again after the final whistle with both teams congratulating or consoling each other. All these players and team mentors. coaches etc. then travelled home with manyjoining up with friends to go socialiing. Perfect conditions for the virus to spread through the community.

No water breaks? Doesn't sound right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If they were perfect conditions for it to spread, we would have seen it spread given several 100 thousand people have been playing continuously since the start of July.

Stop talking sh*t

If they were perfect conditions for it to spread, we would have seen it spread given several 100 thousand people have been playing continuously since the start of July.

Stop talking sh*t

What I saw from late June onwards was players, officials etc. taking social distancing seriously, players not huddling together and hugging each other. In recent weeks for whatever reasons that has lapsed to a large extent and as a result we have seen positive cases rising steeply many of them directly related to GAA activity. Anyway it`s now borderline as to whether or not the the club championships will be completed on time and whether there will be any intercounty matches at all for the rest of 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

benji79 wrote: »
    Cork GAA Statement
    5th October 2020/
    Our priority throughout the pandemic has been keeping our GAA community safe.
    Anything that threatens that safety, and the very continuation of the game during COVID-19, needs to be avoided at all costs.
    To that end, we would plead with all clubs and supporters not to engage in celebrations that breach current guidelines.
    There will be county finals again next year – and we want to make sure COVID-19 does not rob some of the chance to enjoy them

Very soft statement. There should be no Championship this year, the GAA have shown that they can’t implement restrictions in the crowd or on the field of play, and they should suffer for it. Everyone else has.

fullstop wrote: »
    Very soft statement. There should be no Championship this year, the GAA have shown that they can’t implement restrictions in the crowd or on the field of play, and they should suffer for it. Everyone else has.

Agreed. Any club that flaunts the public health measures in a similar fashion to what happened yesterday should be heavily sanctioned including a period of suspension from future championship and league competitions.

The scenes from GAA in the last week are not great to say the least but there is a world of difference between that and the LOI.

LOI is in the middle of its season and right now doesn't have anything like the drama of knockout games in club Football/Hurling. Not to mention the teams like Dungannon, Kildangan, Glanmire wining rare county titles.

Dundalk have won the LOI 5 of the last 6 years. They wouldn't get celebration scenes like at GAA with or without restrictions. The only soccer success you could compare is that of Liverpool and Leeds after they won titles after a long wait. Did their supporters all avoid meeting up outside their pitch to celebrate when they were successful?

Also given the recent attendance record of both its the GAA fans that have missed out a lot more than League of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

GAA suspending all match activities Indefinitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Where is that reported?

Last I'd seen was it was under consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

NPHET need to come out and give a proper breakdown of where these outbreaks are coming from. I have heard of no major spread from a sports club but there have been plenty from house parties, weddings of a certain ethnic minority, general wasters who follow no rules and refuse to wear masks in shops or other environments. They should really tackle the problem rather than taking the gutless route of shutting all businesses and sports facilities for people who in general do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Club matches

Where is that reported?

Last I'd seen was it was under consideration.

Confirmed on RTE Radio 1 News just now.

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Club matches

Just clubs for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Probably under pressure to do this now given all the bad publicity since the weekend. An attempt to row back on the damage done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are many club championships yet to finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

shockframe wrote: »
    The scenes from GAA in the last week are not great to say the least but there is a world of difference between that and the LOI.

LOI is in the middle of its season and right now doesn't have anything like the drama of knockout games in club Football/Hurling. Not to mention the teams like Dungannon, Kildangan, Glanmire wining rare county titles.

Dundalk have won the LOI 5 of the last 6 years. They wouldn't get celebration scenes like at GAA with or without restrictions. The only soccer success you could compare is that of Liverpool and Leeds after they won titles after a long wait. Did their supporters all avoid meeting up outside their pitch to celebrate when they were successful?

Also given the recent attendance record of both its the GAA fans that have missed out a lot more than League of Ireland.

That doesn't make it ok. If it is not safe to hold, it shouldnt go ahead. The GAA think they are above everyone else in this situation for some reason. It's shocking behaviour, there are no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dundalk just qualified for EL group stages (3rd time an Irish club has done it) and guaranteed themselves €3m...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

threeball wrote: »
    NPHET need to come out and give a proper breakdown of where these outbreaks are coming from. I have heard of no major spread from a sports club but there have been plenty from house parties, weddings of a certain ethnic minority, general wasters who follow no rules and refuse to wear masks in shops or other environments. They should really tackle the problem rather than taking the gutless route of shutting all businesses and sports facilities for people who in general do the right thing.

Not strictly a club, but there has been outbreaks in both the Donegal and Armagh panels.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Dundalk just qualified for EL group stages (3rd time an Irish club has done it) and guaranteed themselves €3m...

I watched the game on Thursday. TBH I was more impressed with Shamrock Rovers performance against AC Milan but fair play Dundalk.

I don't believe there was any celebrations comparable to a GAA county final when they qualified in 2016 let alone now.

Dundalk are used to winning now in a way thats similar to Crossmaglen, Corofin, Dr Crokes, Nemo Rangers etc so celebrations will always be a bit more muted.

If a Bray Wanderers or Athlone Town won the Premier Division I'm sure the scenes would be a lot different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Plenty of them in some counties, but almost all caused by utter stupidity. Latest example here is a minor player who was tested and waiting on his results getting a bus with all his team to go and play a match, as it would have been too far for the parents to drive him. Just mind blowing lack of awareness.

The statement on rte, was a but confused though. Saying that it is to suspend all club activity, but training will be permitted. Might just be rte not giving the full statement and taking some parts out of context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not strictly a club, but there has been outbreaks in both the Donegal and Armagh panels.

Want there an outbreak in forkhill gaa which saw almost the entire junior panel infected (some 30 cases) after they won the junior title.

Over 100 positive in forkhill a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I think it’s only inter county players can train away not club players. But I could be picking it up wrong too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Fcukin' Blackrock!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I watched the game on Thursday. TBH I was more impressed with Shamrock Rovers performance against AC Milan but fair play Dundalk.

I don't believe there was any celebrations comparable to a GAA county final when they qualified in 2016 let alone now.

Dundalk are used to winning now in a way thats similar to Crossmaglen, Corofin, Dr Crokes, Nemo Rangers etc so celebrations will always be a bit more muted.

If a Bray Wanderers or Athlone Town won the Premier Division I'm sure the scenes would be a lot different.

I wouldn't usually spare the stick to beat the LOI but they do seem to be able to space the few spectators out in the stands. Compared with GAA spectators where seemingly the only place to sit or stand is almost on top of one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Did that final in Offaly get played yesterday?
    Shane Curran stepped down as manager of one of the clubs taking part due to a Covid case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Plenty of them in some counties, but almost all caused by utter stupidity. Latest example here is a minor player who was tested and waiting on his results getting a bus with all his team to go and play a match, as it would have been too far for the parents to drive him. Just mind blowing lack of awareness.

One the club shouldn't have been providing a bus. That is just wrong under the circumstances.

Two the player shouldn't have been playing anyway. Should have been isolating until they got the results.

Utter stupidity of some is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Want there an outbreak in forkhill gaa which saw almost the entire junior panel infected (some 30 cases) after they won the junior title.

Over 100 positive in forkhill a few days ago.

There was actually, which made its way to Armagh panel, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I watched bits of hurling, soccer and rugby over the last few days.
    I can't speak about happenings outside the stadia, but in all three sports I saw the usual quasi-rape nonsense after scores. This is no time for that exuberance and fair play to the GAA authorities who, in calling a halt to club games have behaved responsibly as usual. The rugby and soccer authorities should do likewise.
    Interestingly, Glasgow were far more restrained against Connacht, as FI were against Dundalk. And don't forget what a win would have meant to the Faroese minnows. Does it say something about us as a nation? On radio this morning Fionnnan Sheehan said that we seem to think that rules are for everybody else. We will be lucky if the planned inter-county fare survives, and if it doesn't I can only say, serves them right.
    I'm all in favour of people's right to commit suicide, but I question their right to take others with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Level 3 so championship could still take place

PTH2009 wrote: »

If it does it will be behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Considering TV schedules have been released, they obviously signed deals with TV, streaming and probably advertisers. Far easier for them to scrap club but would be a big undertaking to stop intercounty now.

All games behind closed doors i'd say, with possible local enforcement on pubs. But I think it'll go ahead

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Considering TV schedules have been released, they obviously signed deals with TV, streaming and probably advertisers. Far easier for them to scrap club but would be a big undertaking to stop intercounty now.

All games behind closed doors i'd say, with possible local enforcement on pubs. But I think it'll go ahead

But if it is to be stopped, now is the time to do it rather than in 3 weeks time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Seems like GAA has its own level 5. Didn't even wait for the Government decision before cancelling all juvenile games.

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/status/1313149928026386439

Fair indication there that plan is to go ahead at the moment

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Seems like GAA has its own level 5. Didn't even wait for the Government decision before cancelling all juvenile games.

Club matches at all levels have been indefinitely suspended not just at juvenile level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Prob get slaughtered for this comment but I think having the championship too look forward to is a great escape for all the doom and gloom

Prob get slaughtered for this comment but I think having the championship too look forward to is a great escape for all the doom and gloom

Absolutely. If the players want to play, there's decent testing provided for them and there's probably no crowd issues now with closed doors, what's the downside? Nobody's complaining about other top level sports coming back.

A few top class games on a Saturday evening over winter. Looking forward to them immensely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The championship going ahead will be a great boost to the country and give something for people to look forward to each week and take their mind off this Covid crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It is, if people will conduct themselves properly. What's the chance of that?

billyhead wrote: »
    The championship going ahead will be a great boost to the country and give something for people to look forward to each week and take their mind off this Covid crap.

And plenty of haterz on facebook/twitter waiting for any sign to criticise them too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

And plenty of haterz on facebook/twitter waiting for any sign to criticise them too!

Don't mind the curtain twitchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

billyhead wrote: »

The championship is ****e at the best of times.

So what! There was some "football" soccer head tweeting about how good they are at socially distancing compared to the "gah."

You could social distance at most of their borefests even without the virus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Club matches at all levels have been indefinitely suspended not just at juvenile level.

If people cant behave themselves by social distancing as advised then they have only themselves to blame.

So what! There was some "football" soccer head tweeting about how good they are at socially distancing compared to the "gah."

It's not great for Irish Soccer that some people only notice LOI popping up on tweets because of something that went on in the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have a feeling the GAA know that public opinion is beginning to turn quite swiftly against them and are taking some time to get their house in order before trying to press ahead with the inter-county championships.

They know the scenes that have been seen for a number of weeks are utterly disgraceful and are in direct contrast to how they were so willing and responsible to not only suspend all activities but also shut the doors of pitches and clubhouses back in March knowing it would financially cripple them.

They did have a detailed plan to return to play and certainly meant well but the actual enforcement of this has shown the GAA up as exactly what it is: An amateur organisation.

I also don't buy the argument that it's what's happening in the stands and not on the pitch that's spreading it. Teams having huddles before games and shaking hands with their opponents afterwards completely and utterly beggars belief. The GAA made it very clear that every player had to do a return to play education module surely all these basics were strictly prohibited?

I also don't want to piss on any teams victory as winning a county final is a defining moment in any players career but players celebrating while shouting, hugging etc is a disaster not too mention everyone going on the piss together afterwards and then all returning to work on Tuesday morning. Drawing a tree diagram of potential close contacts could literally lead to millions of permutations of potential spread.

I too was looking forward to seeing my beloved Kilkenny take on Wexford, Galway or Dublin in a do or die Leinster clash but unfortunately I think they've lost the privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

You could social distance fairly easily at every county final this year and for 99% of them in the last decade but for some reason they never did and have brought the bad press down on themselves.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    You could social distance fairly easily at every county final this year and for 99% of them in the last decade but for some reason they never did and have brought the bad press down on themselves.

People are entitled to get excited at and celebrate county finals even if they are no longer allowed attend.

You would think the people in Blackrock had been taking crystal meth and stabbing random passers by if you listen to the pure venom unleashed on them.

Advertisement