Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bonniedog wrote: »
    People are entitled to get excited at and celebrate county finals even if they are no longer allowed attend.

You would think the people in Blackrock had been taking crystal meth and stabbing random passers by if you listen to the pure venom unleashed on them.

Blackrock are getting the abuse because theirs was the most obvious and stupid example of guideline violations and it came at a time when the rate of coronavirus cases is increasing considerably and possible maximum restrictions been introduced.

But let's face it, it hasn't been better at all inside the grounds either amongst the fans. Pictures from the Meath County Final and Derry County Final showed people sitting in large groups with no gaps and fairly obvious mixing of family groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bonniedog wrote: »
    People are entitled to get excited at and celebrate county finals even if they are no longer allowed attend.

You would think the people in Blackrock had been taking crystal meth and stabbing random passers by if you listen to the pure venom unleashed on them.

Or maybe they could just celebrate without jumping on top of each other in the street shouting and singing with no masks Or social distancing? Just a thought, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Thanks Blackrock for giving us an entertaining game and for adhering to social distancing guidelines with the celebrations afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

thelad95 wrote: »

They know the scenes that have been seen for a number of weeks are utterly disgraceful and are in direct contrast to how they were so willing and responsible to not only suspend all activities but also shut the doors of pitches and clubhouses back in March knowing it would financially cripple them.
    I just wish the GAA had taken steps in the past few weeks to counteract this. If they weren't happy, they should have given well publicised warnings, issued fines, or reverted to closed doors matches. I heard Mr Horan talk on the radio about the work they were doing in the background to put a stop to it. In the background, really?

It's grossly unfair on young players to cancel all Juvenile games because of the irresponsible behaviour they referenced. In their own words, I'd invite them to present the empirical evidence which informed this decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

billyhead wrote: »
    The championship going ahead will be a great boost to the country and give something for people to look forward to each week and take their mind off this Covid crap.

100%. I'm not even much of a GAA fan and I'm looking forward to the football and hurling championship.

There's no better escape from this than live sport. Watching Sam Bennett in the Tour de France was very uplifting for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Absolutely. If the players want to play, there's decent testing provided for them and there's probably no crowd issues now with closed doors, what's the downside? Nobody's complaining about other top level sports coming back.

A few top class games on a Saturday evening over winter. Looking forward to them immensely

It would be alot easier to manage a county team with contact tracing etc. If it's played at all it will be behind closed doors, to be honest might help the government to keep people at home if there are games to be looking at over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

The Dungarvan fiasco is the most serious breach in GAA. I have some sympathy for exuberant celebrations for a county final victory but to field a player in a match who was awaiting the results of a COVID test was ludicrous. They've now issued a mealy mouthed apology straight from the oireachtas golf society text book.

I play GAA and love the games but there is an element of the culture that goes with it that needs addressing. It's the same culture that is responsible for the p*ss poor approach to discipline in our games. Bravado and macho culture needs to be removed from GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    It would be alot easier to manage a county team with contact tracing etc. If it's played at all it will be behind closed doors, to be honest might help the government to keep people at home if there are games to be looking at over the winter.

Might also encourage people to go to each others houses for a few drinks and match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just on the soccer v Gaa debate.

Since restrictions were lifted in June the GAA have been very thorough in their approach to COVID, at an underage level at least.

Every parent and coach had to complete the health questionare.
    Health status had to be reconfirmed either online or by signing in before each training session or match.
    COVID supervisors were on hand to manage the sign-in and hand sanitizing before and after going on the field.
    I know all this because I have kids playing underage GAA and I am a coach myself.

One of the kids also plays underage soccer.
    Their COVID procedures ?
    Well there were none, no mandatory health questionare, no sign in for contact tracing, no hand sanitizer.

So look beyond the scenes on the TV and the usual outrage against the GAA and you will once again which body is the pro and which one is the clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Might also encourage people to go to each others houses for a few drinks and match.

You're thinking of the time when there was only one radio in the parish. No excuse now.

So look beyond the scenes on the TV and the usual outrage against the GAA and you will once again which body is the pro and which one is the clown.

Setting the bar against the bad behaviour of others is not a good idea. Some of us are accustomed to expecting better of the GAA. You do your friends no favour when you circle the wagons to ward off self examination. I see no reason to engage in major criticism of GAA HQ in this. But predictably some wearers of particular jerseys will be found in denial when it comes to their patch.

I think the GAA are going nowhere as an organisation. Having a GAA inter country championship in the middle of winter is really a farce. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be all called off and i hope it is now.

The organisation themselves are a joke and rightly so amateur. The GAA got their chance and some clubs and fans abused the privilege of being able to play during these uncertain times. They couldn't be bothered adhering to the guidelines so its best to stop the games for 2020.

The behaviour of some fans and clubs and celebrations with no social distancing makes me frustrated watching GAA games right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

The Dungarvan situation to me is the worst! Because you know that potentially this player has the virus. The statement suggests he took his advice from the club. Madness!

With the over the top celebrations people presume they don't have it. Which is a dangerous presumption but i still think its more excusable than a club allowing a player who potentially has it line out in a game.

feargale wrote: »
    You're thinking of the time when there was only one radio in the parish. No excuse now.

There is no excuse. But it will still happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Are adult club teams allowed to train away or what exactly? Its still a bit confusing in ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

big_drive wrote: »
    Are adult club teams allowed to train away or what exactly? Its still a bit confusing in ways

They'll send around an email to clarify later today I'd say. But think non contact training will be allowed continue

They'll send around an email to clarify later today I'd say. But think non contact training will be allowed continue

Bit pointless in allow non-contact training this time of year. It would be widely ignored if they did that. They would be better off to just suspend all training than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

The Dungarvan situation to me is the worst! Because you know that potentially this player has the virus. The statement suggests he took his advice from the club. Madness!

With the over the top celebrations people presume they don't have it. Which is a dangerous presumption but i still think its more excusable than a club allowing a player who potentially has it line out in a game.

There are no excuses for the club`s attitude, none at all. They should be strictly sanctioned for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

He was played with a view to winning, they didn't care less about the guidance.

Play him and deal with the ramifications afterwards. If he'd tested negative there'd have been nothing more said about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Play him and deal with the ramifications afterwards. If he'd tested negative there'd have been nothing more said about it.

Dungarvan should be stripped of the county title. Anything less isn't enough seeing as they pursued a win at all costs mentality. The GAA are either serious about implementing Covid guidelines or they're not and if they are they need to send out a strong message.

Simply not good enough from Dungarvan and I don't buy their feeble excuse either!

They should be ashamed of themselves.

What are the ramifications from a sporting viewpoint anyway? Only options I can think of are a fine for the club, stripping the title away from them, cancelling their promotion or banning the club form adult competition for a year or 2 like what was suggested for that club in Longford. I can't see any county board doing option 2, 3 and 4 so they're more than likely get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

kksaints wrote: »
    What are the ramifications from a sporting viewpoint anyway? Only options I can think of are a fine for the club, stripping the title away from them, cancelling their promotion or banning the club form adult competition for a year or 2 like what was suggested for that club in Longford. I can't see any county board doing option 2, 3 and 4 so they're more than likely get away with it.

I wonder what the rules are regarding if they fielded a suspended player? Surely this should be viewed at the very least in a similar light (imo it deserves a harsher penalty).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status/1313421131404185600

Sometimes the GAA just don't help themselves (be it at central level or county board level or club level). This just another example of looking for special treatment or special application of measures being taken.

paul0103 wrote: »

Sometimes the GAA just don't help themselves (be it at central level or county board level or club level). This just another example of looking for special treatment or special application of measures being taken.

In fairness, under Phase 3 plan by Government they were allowed to play. It was the GAA HQ decision yesterday that stopped it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In fairness, under Phase 3 plan by Government they were allowed to play. It was the GAA HQ decision yesterday that stopped it

I reckon the GAA jumped the gun thinking the country would move to level 5. Making all remaining games behind closed doors would have sent the same message.

But I think this can go ahead based on Level 3 government restrictions (Senior club is exempt).

They are asking the GAA to lift their own suspension, which I doubt will happen here. If they did that and there were videos like we saw at the weekend, where would that leave them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Can’t be changed for any county
    Then you’d have to do it for everyone

That's true, but it's the constant looking for exemptions or special treatment that I have issues with. If the GAA themselves looked for an exemption to the 200 in the crowd rule a few weeks ago then why wouldn't Meath county board go and look to get their own special treatment from Central Council for getting these matches played. But if they allow this then where does it stop? Every county will look for it.

We know that a big part in yesterday's decision by GAA was the after match celebrations, it just looks like attempting to get these finals (or any other finals played) just gives a two fingers to that.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »

Chairman of Waterford CB is in a difficult position in that it's his own club that lost to them. Might look to seek an independent review on it.

I'm not sure I agree with you though, it's national news and in light of everything we've heard in the last two days I think GAA HQ will be keen to have a sanction in place so as not to set a precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I feel fines should never be used in an amateur sport. The money a club has comes from fundraising efforts.

Suspensions, demotion etc much better punishment

Chairman of Waterford CB is in a difficult position in that it's his own club that lost to them. Might look to seek an independent review on it.

I'm not sure I agree with you though, it's national news and in light of everything we've heard in the last two days I think GAA HQ will be keen to have a sanction in place so as not to set a precedent.

I'm just used to nearly all GAA bans and punishments been watered down to such an extent as to be almost nothing. However, you are correct that this is very bad press for the GAA and is also a breaking of pretty much one of the central rules of Covid regulations everywhere, therefore the GAA may come down hard on them as a precedent particularly as a similar event at inter-county level would be a PR disaster.

Coincidentally, the player who played would be fined and possibly at risk of a prison sentence in Germany I think. He has to get a ban from the GAA I feel.

That's true, but it's the constant looking for exemptions or special treatment that I have issues with. If the GAA themselves looked for an exemption to the 200 in the crowd rule a few weeks ago then why wouldn't Meath county board go and look to get their own special treatment from Central Council for getting these matches played. But if they allow this then where does it stop? Every county will look for it.

We know that a big part in yesterday's decision by GAA was the after match celebrations, it just looks like attempting to get these finals (or any other finals played) just gives a two fingers to that.

It's harsh on the clubs involved given what they've put in to have the final postponed, that said in the context of the epidemic in Ireland it's a minor grievance.

I agree with you they couldn't backtrack, but I would be pretty certain they won't either.

There's been a lot of condemnation of scenes in the GAA in the last few weeks and some justified, but I think it's important people don't lose sight of the work done over the last 3 months to ensure games were played and played safely. There's been a lot of positives out of it, especially for kids who were denied an education for six months.

Fair enough if people have issues with specific incidents that have occurred, but the sweeping statements indicting the GAA as a whole are not fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Dungarvan should be stripped of the county title. Anything less isn't enough seeing as they pursued a win at all costs mentality. The GAA are either serious about implementing Covid guidelines or they're not and if they are they need to send out a strong message.

Simply not good enough from Dungarvan and I don't buy their feeble excuse either!

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Absolutely.

Waterford co board should declare the game null and void.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Waterford co board should declare the game null and void.

Thats criminal what that player from Dungarvan did and the teams management need to be hit with a punishment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I reckon the GAA jumped the gun thinking the country would move to level 5. Making all remaining games behind closed doors would have sent the same message.

Indeed. A tad embarrassing :o

Thats a criminal what that player from Dungarvan did and the teams management need to be hit with a punishment too.

"Following a review of the club’s handling of the recent case, where a player tested positive for Covid-19 after the game was played, it has been identified that errors were made by the club in the interpretation of the Covid-19 guidelines and the club wish to sincerely apologise for its mishandling of this situation," a statement outlined.

"As a club we wish to stress that the player involved was following the club’s interpretation of the guidelines and advice at all times, did not attend any of the post-match celebrations, and was acting in good faith."

It seems the "errors" were discovered between the final whistle and the celebrations. :rolleyes:

"Following a review of the club’s handling of the recent case, where a player tested positive for Covid-19 after the game was played, it has been identified that errors were made by the club in the interpretation of the Covid-19 guidelines and the club wish to sincerely apologise for its mishandling of this situation," a statement outlined.

"As a club we wish to stress that the player involved was following the club’s interpretation of the guidelines and advice at all times, did not attend any of the post-match celebrations, and was acting in good faith."

It seems the "errors" were discovered between the final whistle and the celebrations. :rolleyes:
    Thats nonsense that the club misinterpreted the guidelines. Easy thing to say that. Where have they been for the last 8 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The positive result was confirmed after the game, but he was tested prior to the game.
    Load of oul bollox from Dungarvan. They should have known rightly of the need to isolate whilst awaiting a test result. They knew enough for him to not attend the post match celebrations. Knew rightly what they were doing.

Was he a key team member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine if something likes this happens in the IC championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

JeffKenna wrote: »

Don't think it was anything to do with the national Covid levels and all to do with the widely publicised scenes around the country of Covid regulations being ignored during and after finals.

Don't think it was anything to do with the national Covid levels and all to do with the widely publicised scenes around the country of Covid regulations being ignored during and after finals.

Nah it was an attempt at good PR in advance of an expected suspension of activity anyway by government.

There's only a handful of games left and a very narrow window to finish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Since restrictions were lifted in June the GAA have been very thorough in their approach to COVID, at an underage level at least.

Every parent and coach had to complete the health questionare.
    Health status had to be reconfirmed either online or by signing in before each training session or match.
    COVID supervisors were on hand to manage the sign-in and hand sanitizing before and after going on the field.
    I know all this because I have kids playing underage GAA and I am a coach myself.

One of the kids also plays underage soccer.
    Their COVID procedures ?
    Well there were none, no mandatory health questionare, no sign in for contact tracing, no hand sanitizer.

Rarely if ever post here and not to start a soccer v Gaa debate but the above isnt strictly true.

Firstly am the Covid officer for both a soccer club and a Gaa club.Also train 3 different teams so am well aware of the procedures.
    The Gaa has a better set up with the app but just looking back over the last 2 weeks on my phone can see its about 40% compliance as regards filling out the return to play form required before training or playing.
    Thats after reminding people each and every time before training or a match.A few do it later that night/next day etc.
    Only one coach regularly fills out the attended/absent part.
    Hand sanitisers etc were used for the first week or two but after that nothing.
    Also the limit on numbers for training and the non contact and pod bits(load of rubbish but)were totally ignored from the off.

Soccer club less organised but have sign in sheets at gate with someone in attendance taking temperature and writing down each player mentor there etc.
    Sanitiser etc there as well.
    As for games nothing for any juvenile game I was at ie no names taken etc

To be honest soccer only running about a month so would assume compliance will drop off like Gaa given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Also the limit on numbers for training and the non contact and pod bits(load of rubbish but)were totally ignored from the off.

Same with us.

Same with us.

They will get the message when nobody is allowed to kick a ball anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They will get the message when nobody is allowed to kick a ball anymore.

Our season is over.

In relation to the Covid stuff. Questionnaires, signing in and out etc all happened. Sanitiser before we started, every 15/20mins and also when we finished. Bibs washed after every use. All equipment sanitised after every session. No carpooling to training/matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Our season is over.

In relation to the Covid stuff. Questionnaires, signing in and out etc all happened. Sanitiser before we started, every 15/20mins and also when we finished. Bibs washed after every use. All equipment sanitised after every session. No carpooling to training/matches.

Balls "washed" in a tub of water bibs in shed before training and put back there after training.Wouldnt think they ever saw a washing machine this year !!!!
    Sanitisers ;some gave the hands a quick blast before entering the field most passed it by and it had to be pointed out to them.A few sanitised with their gloves on
    Never seen flags goals etc done

Our season is over.

I could be wrong, but my own experience would suggest that your club was in the minority with this approach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

A bit shocked to hear about an underage County Final last week in which my local club was involved. This was an U-14 A Cship final so not some mickey mouse tournament and there were no restrictions at all on the crowd.

I was watching a live stream and did notice there seemed to be fairly big crowd, most of whom were congregated in the same area. It seems there was nobody from the Co Board or hosting club on the gate at all, anyone could just walk in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I could be wrong, but my own experience would suggest that your club was in the minority with this approach!

My own experiences would mirror those of wirelessdude, but such is human nature we will only here of the cases where it was ignored or flaunted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement