Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Funnily enough the Dungarven Club and the publican in Meath didnt know you had to isolate while waiting on results

So, say it takes 2 days for results to come back. Do they think you can't be positive until you get the results or what ??

Pathetic to come out with something so stupid

I know our own County Board didnt do much to distance crowd ( i know they actually shouldnt have to ) . No seats marked off, no stewards telling people to move , no announcements to social distance etc.
    Now I know it's up to people to do this themselves but the game I went to was a disgrace. Used stand only and absolutely no social distancing done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

was at a game at the weekend and only 2 sections were open, why corral all the people into 1 section instead of asking them to spread out.

Would have had no issue with wearing masks if it meant going to matches

definitely think the GAA could have been more proactive and enforced things better....instead of letting poor standards creep back in

They were right to pull the plug after the blackrock nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Be some laugh trying to enforce social distancing if Mayo win the football or Waterford/Wexford and the likes win the Hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Be some laugh trying to enforce social distancing if Mayo win the football or Waterford/Wexford and the likes win the Hurling

You’re safe enough with those I’d say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭arctictree

We had an underage county final at the weekend. One of our key players was awaiting a test result and the manager was Not allowed play him. We lost the match by a few points. I feel gutted for the kids as they worked hard all summer. He turned out negative. I wonder would other teams have done the same, now I see that some would have just played him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

benji79 wrote: »

Write off Wexford at your peril

arctictree wrote: »
    We had an underage county final at the weekend. One of our key players was awaiting a test result and the manager was Not allowed play him. We lost the match by a few points. I feel gutted for the kids as they worked hard all summer. He turned out negative. I wonder would other teams have done the same, now I see that some would have just played him....

It might be gutting to lose but correct decision. And that’s teaching the kids a lot of valuable lessons that are just as important as anything sport brings. You might not have the medal but your club are an example of the good side of GAA and should be very proud!

I was only messing in a way as I actually do expect Wexford to be very close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

benji79 wrote: »

Mayo and Waterford yes, but Wexford will go very close to winning the hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

We will thanks. They wont be there not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1007/1169979-fermanagh-suspends-activity-after-confirmed-covid-cases/

So does that mean Donegal, Armagh & Fermanagh are all not training at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1007/1169979-fermanagh-suspends-activity-after-confirmed-covid-cases/

So does that mean Donegal, Armagh & Fermanagh are all not training at the moment?

Well Donegal and Mayo played a challenge game in Sligo last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Is it really necessary to play challenge games at this time?

oh yeah, thats right. They must be back training so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i presume there will be nobody at the all ireland final in december if it goes ahead? will they put games in places with lower covid cases? any real point going into dublin with games when they can be played under lights in breffni park or portlaoise?

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i presume there will be nobody at the all ireland final in december if it goes ahead? will they put games in places with lower covid cases? any real point going into dublin with games when they can be played under lights in breffni park or portlaoise?

They will be played in Croke Park unless the country is moved too Level 5 (which is a huge possibility sadly 😞)

Sure in the soccer and Rugby finals were still played in empty stadiums like Wembley, Aviva, Twickenham etc

Another problem will be how they manage the days/nights in the counties represented. No way in hell will social distance be adhered too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

They will be played in Croke Park unless the country is moved too Level 5 (which is a huge possibility sadly ��)

Sure in the soccer and Rugby finals were still played in empty stadiums like Wembley, Aviva, Twickenham etc

Another problem will be how they manage the days/nights in the counties represented. No way in hell will social distance be adhered too

Manage what? there wont be any pubs open, people will just watch it on tv, is that what you mean ?

AI final will certainly be played in Croke Park, if it goes ahead.

But it is an interesting point. For example, Connacht play Munster in AI football semi-final. There might not be any reason to bring that match to Croke Park.....

Manage what? there wont be any pubs open, people will just watch it on tv, is that what you mean ?

Think people could congregate on the streets too celebrate

It happend across the water in Liverpool, Leeds

Anyone know when the GAA will have matches again given they are allowed at level 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Our season is over.

In relation to the Covid stuff. Questionnaires, signing in and out etc all happened. Sanitiser before we started, every 15/20mins and also when we finished. Bibs washed after every use. All equipment sanitised after every session. No carpooling to training/matches.

We did something similar for underage team There were always one or two who missed the survey. I used to ring the parents to make sure it was filled in for games, let it slide for training. Kept a separate spreadsheet of who attended and who filled in the survey. Balls sanitized, bibs/jerseys washed after every game/training, toilet main touch areas sprayed (Taps, handles etc)

Was always onto the kids to sanitize hands but did not police it. I will have to now though as we are still training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

arctictree wrote: »
    Anyone know when the GAA will have matches again given they are allowed at level 3?

AFAIK the intention is to go ahead with the scheduled inter-county games. Anybody's guess re the outstanding club games though...

Think people could congregate on the streets too celebrate

It happend across the water in Liverpool, Leeds

You wouldn’t congregate for long on a December evening. It’s not like there would be anything to do if pubs etc shut
    Plus those are cities where the team is based.
    In inter county a team is from all towns villages in that County, so people aren’t all going to drive to one spot to just stand together

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

I get the feeling that a jump to level 4 is imminent, no insider knowledge just reading and listening to the powers that be. Non contact training to continue but no games if that's the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I get the feeling that a jump to level 4 is imminent, no insider knowledge just reading and listening to the powers that be. Non contact training to continue but no games if that's the case?

Thought that was level 5 before matches were cancelled. There was an article on the Racing Post a few days ago which said that elite sport may continue even if level 5 lockdown is imposed. Presume this includes the All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

kksaints wrote: »
    Thought that was level 5 before matches were cancelled. There was an article on the Racing Post a few days ago which said that elite sport may continue even if level 5 lockdown is imposed. Presume this includes the All Irelands.

Thanks: would be difficult from a PR point of view for the GAA to push on with everything else shut down I think though.

kksaints wrote: »

Yeah, going to level 4 has no real impact on championship games. Unless the GAA use it differently to government guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭rrs

GAA meeting this evening to discuss the League fixtures. It looks like the League fixtures will be cancelled, wherever that would leave promotion and relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Thanks: would be difficult from a PR point of view for the GAA to push on with everything else shut down I think though.

It would and in any case if level 5 was introduced it means that the virus spreading widely and quickly. The chances of it getting into squads would be very high and even one case in a squad could be enough to call off a match similar as to what happened in the LOI with Pat's and Galway this week because players could have to isolate and restrict movements. It would cause chaos fixturewise and with the tight timeframe they have set themselves would lead to controversy.

rrs wrote: »
    GAA meeting this evening to discuss the League fixtures. It looks like the League fixtures will be cancelled, wherever that would leave promotion and relegation.

I'd be shocked if that happened. At the moment, the league looks far more likely to be completed than the championship. They may just about get away with fulfilling the last 2 fixtures, but it is very hard to see how the situation will be any better than right now for first round of championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Speaking as a Mayoman, I'd say not in a good place

Here's Star himself throwing in his tuppence worth:
    Sky Sports launched their Championship schedule yesterday and Donaghy, one of their football pundits, believes the competition should be pushed into 2021 if necessary.

“I wouldn't be going down the road of pulling teams out,” he said. “Is the All-Ireland final going to happen on the 19th of December? I don’t think so.

I'm sure Sky are delighted at such positive noises from one of their pundits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

That would be a mistake if that is done at tonights meeting. Better to first finish the competition than start another and have two unfinished competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

That would be a mistake if that is done at tonights meeting. Better to first finish the competition than start another and have two unfinished competitions.

Fermanagh manager asking for their league match against Clare to be postponed, up to 9 players in isolation AFAIK ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭rrs

Yes Fermangh had a high number in their Squad, as had Armagh. The situation in the North is worse then the Republic for cases, with just 6 Counties.. I don't know how they would manage that with League fixtures.

agfasfos wrote: »
    Fermanagh manager asking for their league match against Clare to be postponed, up to 9 players in isolation AFAIK ?.
    Should be allowed to play their game against Clare at a later date.

RTE reporting tonight that the NFL games will go ahead as planned.

Should be allowed to play their game against Clare at a later date.

RTE reporting tonight that the NFL games will go ahead as planned.

RTE also reporting that any team not able to fulfill a fixture will be expected to forfeit the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

RTE also reporting that any team not able to fulfill a fixture will be expected to forfeit the game.

It that for championship matches.?

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    It that for championship matches.?

They don't say. I'm guessing it applies to all games.

A lot of mixed messages coming out, yesterday the Irish examiner reported.

The GAA confirmed no team will be relegated as a direct consequence of a Covid outbreak. Should a game be called off as a result, it will be played at a later date

• Advertisement

A lot of mixed messages coming out, yesterday the Irish examiner reported.

The GAA confirmed no team will be relegated as a direct consequence of a Covid outbreak. Should a game be called off as a result, it will be played at a later date

Guessing the remote meeting with all the county board chairpersons today clarified things.

NPHET will get the championships cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Its a joke at this stage. Call off the inter County championship easiest thing to do here.

Its a joke at this stage. Call off the inter County championship easiest thing to do here.

Why can't the GAA championships happen while other sporting stuff goes on ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Will GAA be testing players, officials etc as much as other sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think he may have been facetious!

There is no reason for the GAA not to be holding games under at very least the same conditions as other sports.

Some of their recent early strikes have been embarrassing. I thought we'd gotten away from the mentality that owns criticism from people who don't like the GAA. Nor indeed lets face it those of us who are part of it.

You can see that in the venom that was directed at Blackrock, the Tyrone clubs and others. Fact is open air sports are way way down the list of things that are the source of the spreading of Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I think he may have been facetious!

There is no reason for the GAA not to be holding games under at very least the same conditions as other sports.

Some of their recent early strikes have been embarrassing. I thought we'd gotten away from the mentality that owns criticism from people who don't like the GAA. Nor indeed lets face it those of us who are part of it.

You can see that in the venom that was directed at Blackrock, the Tyrone clubs and others. Fact is open air sports are way way down the list of things that are the source of the spreading of Covid.

I am on the fence with this. Love GAA and a championship would be a great elixir to all the doom and gloom.

But ultimately if you are a player is it really worth it with no crowd etc behind you, cannot help feel this years championship will be a damp squib - and its not really a great position for the players to be in.

Especially when there is the threat of cancellation hanging over it the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I am on the fence with this. Love GAA and a championship would be a great elixir to all the doom and gloom.

But ultimately if you are a player is it really worth it with no crowd etc behind you, cannot help feel this years championship will be a damp squib - and its not really a great position for the players to be in.

Especially when there is the threat of cancellation hanging over it the entire time.

The lack of a crowd didn't take away from the Tipp or Cork county finals, both teams were going at it he'll for leather and it made fantastic finals.
    I think some fans over hype the effect on teams, alot of 'the supporters were the 16th man out there today' is cliche stuff.
    Sure it's different but better than nothing, provided it's not making the spread of covid worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Mehapoy wrote: »
    The lack of a crowd didn't take away from the Tipp or Cork county finals, both teams were going at it he'll for leather and it made fantastic finals.
    I think some fans over hype the effect on teams, alot of 'the supporters were the 16th man out there today' is cliche stuff.
    Sure it's different but better than nothing, provided it's not making the spread of covid worse.

I agree to a point, and I dont mean affect the fans. But the players are going to have to make so much sacrifices to play - more travel etc with intercounty (but might not be this year) - having fans does help make it more worthwhile.

But ultimately its for the players to decide if its worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Will GAA be testing players, officials etc as much as other sports?

All sporting activities apart from elite / professional should be suspended until we get a grip on this current surge in numbers.

boetstark wrote: »
    All sporting activities apart from elite / professional should be suspended until we get a grip on this current surge in numbers.

I'd take the opposite view. Kids should be allowed continue with sport, its the Adults causing the problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement