Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PVNevin

This is Professor Mary Horgan on schools opening, in May, from RSVP Live:
    Mary Horgan is on the GAA COVID-19 advisory board.

"RSVP LIVE, 15 MAY 2020

A top doctor has said she believes Ireland could plan for some schools to reopen by June if we follow the lead of some other EU countries who are successfully doing so.
    President of the Royal College of Physicians and Infectious Disease Consultant Professor Mary Horgan said the possibility of schools reopening is a “flicker of hope” for Ireland.
    Speaking on RTE’s Prime Time, Dr Horgan said that if Ireland follow how other European countries fare as they reopen schools, Ireland could “balance the benefit and the risk.”
    New research this week, suggested that children were potentially not spreaders of the virus as was believed earlier.
    And Dr Horgan said this is the hope Ireland needs that children could go back to school and start to resume normal life.
    “I think we all need that good news" she said.
    “Part of the path to recovery is getting children back to school so that their parents can go to work.
    “That flicker of hope is so important for us and our ability to plan for things so that we can see where we might be in a week or two weeks.
    “The primary school is open until the end of June so there is the possibility of planning for that in the coming weeks."
    And while Ireland's Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan downplayed the findings of the research that children were not spreading the virus as feared, saying the number of research carried out was too small.
    Dr Horgan says reopening should still be considered.
    “My understanding from what the Chief Medical Officer said was that he would continue to look at that" she said.
    “Many of the schools within our fellow European countries are open.
    “We heard the reports from Denmark and Norway. It would be good to look to see what works there.
    “Let's learn from them, let's copy and paste what they have done and if there's no increase in the numbers there, maybe we should take that step.
    “Nothing we can do will be risk free but we have to balance the benefit and the risk.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

bocaman wrote: »
    So the U-20 Final between Dublin and Galway is called off. Disappointing for the players and obviously a difficult decision to make. Hopefully it can be played sometime in early December.

If RTÉ left wing cubs have their way it’ll never be played .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

LuasSimon wrote: »

You are aware that the head of RTE sport Declan Mcbennett is a big GAA head and that the GAA would be a big viewing attraction and source of advertisement revenue for RTE. Why would RTE want to damage their own budget and viewing figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Fai pulled the plug on all National League underage matches from u19 and below last week
    kksaints wrote: »
    The FAI called off the LOI underage leagues last Friday when the news first came in about NPHET Level 5 recommendation.

So that's one organisation, who called off underage activity 4 days before the GAA called off intercounty action. And if anyone is suggesting that any organisation take a lead from the FAI then lol

This was and never should be a decision for individual organisations, its up to the Government to grow a pair and make their directives clearer rather that intentionally vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think they should have allowed the U20 final to go ahead this weekend, its one game and basically adult than underage GAA.

Its a NPHET recommendation that only senior Inter county shall proceed and the govt took on that advice, a decision that's a bit odd but should be respected as it isn't for me or anyone else to go against the opinion of medial experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Be interesting to see what happens the 2021 season

When a team is knocked out of the 2020 championship do they keep on training for next season ?

thelad95 wrote: »
    There seems to be a certain delusion in this thread that county squads are being tested and this has been proven a few times to be absolute rubbish. Under the current approach, testing really only takes place once it's likely too late..

In regards to testing county squads this is worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AYQGMSDB4

I presume the same testing regime wasn't in place for underage inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Roll on the championship, A Christmas All Ireland is going to be special for whoever wins them and please god Liam will be going too Waterford :D

In Waterfords case one game at a time and getting to a munster final would be a great lift

It won't be that special when you can't celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭TXPTGR1

As if a level 5 lockdown and public health concerns would stop the type of people who have been boozing to the max win or lose with their clubs the past few months
    I’m sure if Mayo finally won an all Ireland the fans would just be politely clapping on their doorsteps
    Shut it down

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    As if a level 5 lockdown and public health concerns would stop the type of people who have been boozing to the max win or lose with their clubs the past few months
    I’m sure if Mayo finally won an all Ireland the fans would just be politely clapping on their doorsteps
    Shut it down

If Mayo or Waterford won All Irelands how would they not celebrate? . Shut it down before we have more problems along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

If Mayo or Waterford won All Irelands how would they not celebrate? . Shut it down before we have more problems along the way.

Make up your mind

Make up your mind

Both apply. You aren't supposed to be celebrating but how could you stop fans celebrating from Mayo or Waterford if they won? They be no way level 5 be adhered to. Lets just be realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Member of Roscommon team tested positive after the Armagh game. Be interesting to see what impact it has on both teams for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

LuasSimon wrote: »

Left wing. Would that be Sinn Féin?

Both apply. You aren't supposed to be celebrating but how could you stop fans celebrating from Mayo or Waterford if they won? They be no way level 5 be adhered to. Lets just be realistic.

We will see, I wouldn't make either of them near favourites in fairness.

But the hurling is scheduled for the 13th of December and the football is 6 days before Christmas so the master plan would have us back at level 3 and 2 respectively.

And if we haven't made much inroads 8 weeks after starting level 5 then we are f***ed anyway.

See Waterford have conceded their game against Antrim as a number of the players employers were insisting on a 14 quarantine period if they crossed the border.

Things beginning to get very messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1022/1173131-waterford-concede-league-game-against-antrim/

This is an extremely poor indictment of the GAA and it's planning. Players and county boards in three different panels have had to take matters into their own hands.

There's nothing in that article that will be a shock to anyone and again it just makes you wonder why has nobody shouted stop??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

See Waterford have conceded their game against Antrim as a number of the players employers were insisting on a 14 quarantine period if they crossed the border.

Players opting out for whatever reason is fine but I think those employers would be on shaky legal ground insisting on such a quarantine.

howiya wrote: »
    Players opting out for whatever reason is fine but I think those employers would be on shaky legal ground insisting on such a quarantine.

I'm a teacher and guidelines issued to us during the summer also say if we go abroad that we have to take two weeks unpaid leave. Now it doesn't apply to NI or else half the staff in my school would be impacted as we are a school on the border and plenty staff live in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but presumably players wouldn't want to get into a position of 'facing down' their employers in that situation. Not sure it's entirely rational to be making an issue of traveling to the North and not, say, Meath though. AFAIK Belfast covid figures aren't particularly high...

I'm a teacher and guidelines issued to us during the summer also say if we go abroad that we have to take two weeks unpaid leave. Now it doesn't apply to NI or else half the staff in my school would be impacted as we are a school on the border and plenty staff live in the North.

Same with my employer, travel was allowed to green list countries and the north in line with government guidelines.

Yeah but presumably players wouldn't want to get into a position of 'facing down' their employers in that situation. Not sure it's entirely rational to be making an issue of traveling to the North and not, say, Meath though. AFAIK Belfast covid figures aren't particularly high...

That's fair enough but I think it's important those players are aware that their employer is making stuff up as they go along. What other conditions of employment are they skirting around?

Its still up to the players what they do with that information. Reading John Fogarty's twitter it suggests that Waterford were never going to travel. It could be that the work thing has been made up by Waterford GAA and not the players' employers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

My employer insists on it, I don't have the right to endanger the health and safety of my fellow employees.

That's fair enough but I think it's important those players are aware that their employer is making stuff up as they go along. What other conditions of employment are they skirting around?

Its still up to the players what they do with that information. Reading John Fogarty's twitter it suggests that Waterford were never going to travel. It could be that the work thing has been made up by Waterford GAA and not the players' employers.

That's not really the issue though is it? The issue here is that we're in an unprecedented pandemic situation with everything but essential businesses, services and education closed down. There is no regular player testing afforded to elite GAA players like in soccer and rugby. Added to that the GAA players have jobs to return to of a Monday. The players are being put in a predicament due to a complete failure of GAA leadership. Play the games and face employment repercussions and accept putting themselves and their families at an elevated level of risk to their health or withdraw from the county panel, potentially making a pariah of themselves for future selection. The decision should have been made by GAA leadership to scrap the season to protect their amateur players. We got the club champs in while COVID was low and that was a big boost. Time to cut the cloth to suit the measure.

almostover wrote: »
    That's not really the issue though is it? The issue here is that we're in an unprecedented pandemic situation with everything but essential businesses, services and education closed down. There is no regular player testing afforded to elite GAA players like in soccer and rugby. Added to that the GAA players have jobs to return to of a Monday. The players are being put in a predicament due to a complete failure of GAA leadership Government. Play the games and face employment repercussions and accept putting themselves and their families at an elevated level of risk to their health or withdraw from the county panel, potentially making a pariah of themselves for future selection. The decision should have been made by GAA leadership the Government to scrap the season to protect their amateur players. We got the club champs in while COVID was low and that was a big boost. Time to cut the cloth to suit the measure.

Fixed that there for you, you also very much over estimate the salary of a League of Ireland player if you think that they don't have jobs outside of their sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

[HTML][/HTML]
    Pogue eile wrote: »
    Fixed that there for you, you also very much over estimate the salary of a League of Ireland player if you think that they don't have jobs outside of their sport.

Is it the government's responsibility to put in a testing regime for the players? Or the GAA's? I would suggest it is the GAA's responsibility.

I am not sure if it has been confirmed but there were reports that the GAA received 15 million from the government - has any of that been used to ensure player safety?

The GPA poll showed 52% wanted a championship to go ahead, 24% did not want it go ahead, 24% wanted it to go ahead with improved testing etc. Has anything been implemented in the meantime to alleviate the fears of the 48%??

These are the questions I would like answered if I was a player.

GAA dont need the government to tell them what to do. The GAA shut down activity off their own bat the last time around and were quite rightly praised for doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The league should of been scrapped with no promotion/relegation

My employer insists on it, I don't have the right to endanger the health and safety of my fellow employees.

Your employer insisting on something doesn't mean they have a solid legal position for such. Unless you can point to the legal basis for such a policy?

It has always been very clear that people returning from Northern Ireland do not need to restrict their movements.

Your employer insisting on something doesn't mean they have a solid legal position for such. Unless you can point to the legal basis for such a policy?

It has always been very clear that people returning from Northern Ireland do not need to restrict their movements.

I'm was on about countries not on the green list. Look, you're correct on the legality. But for most people it's not worth the hassle to create conflict with their employer over. Especially not to play a match.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]

Is it the government's responsibility to put in a testing regime for the players? Or the GAA's? I would suggest it is the GAA's responsibility.

With all due respect I would suggest you are completely wrong, the Government have access to expertise and data that the GAA do not have, the Government taking this into consideration have given the green light for it to continue, but you think that the GAA should ignore this advice and call it off, genuinely perplexed how you could come to that conclusion?
    GAA dont need the government to tell them what to do. The GAA shut down activity off their own bat the last time around and were quite rightly praised for doing so

Of course they need the Government to give direction, as I sad above they are the ones with the expertise and data and they have deemed it safe, a few lads on social media with an axe to grind with the GAA shouldn't change that.

With all due respect I would suggest you are completely wrong, the Government have access to expertise and data that the GAA do not have, the Government taking this into consideration have given the green light for it to continue, but you think that the GAA should ignore this advice and call it off, genuinely perplexed how you could come to that conclusion?

Of course they need the Government to give direction, as I sad above they are the ones with the expertise and data and they have deemed it safe, a few lads on social media with an axe to grind with the GAA shouldn't change that.

I have been wrong before and will be again so that is nothing new :):)

I agree that the government should give direction. However, I am concerned that the GAA are not doing everything in their power to protect the players and consequently, those close to the players.

The GPA have come out today apparently demanding testing (https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1022/1173212-gpa-demand-covid-testing-at-earliest-possible-date/). This is a positive development. If this is in place, then it should allay some fears of people questioning the championship. There are clearly concerns out there (Louth player pointing out that he hasnt seen any tester, teams pulling out of games etc.).

I am not sure what data specific to the inter county championship that the government or the experts could have? For example, what is different about the senior inter county championship and under age when it comes to data? I suspect their reasoning is just simple numbers. Reduce congregated settings as much as possible. However, this needs to be balanced with giving people something to enjoy etc. With this in mind, they allow some matches to take place. But that is just speculation on my part....

GAA players deserve a huge amount of credit for going ahead this year. There will be very little reward for them. If they win an AI, it will be a title that will always have an '*' beside it. They don't get to play in front of crowds, no celebrations if they win. Ultimately, their only reward is helping the country through a difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

[HTML][/HTML]

I am not sure if it has been confirmed but there were reports that the GAA received 15 million from the government - has any of that been used to ensure player safety?

The GPA poll showed 52% wanted a championship to go ahead, 24% did not want it go ahead, 24% wanted it to go ahead with improved testing etc. Has anything been implemented in the meantime to alleviate the fears of the 48%??

These are the questions I would like answered if I was a player.

I'd like to see a breakdown of those players by county. You can be pretty sure a Leitrim, Waterford or Louth player are far less likely to want to play the championship than a guy from Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc. as the likelihood is they get beaten early doors and why bother training under these circumstances when its hard to even enjoy. So the figure of 48% is probably skewed against playing for factors other than just Covid.

threeball wrote: »
    I'd like to see a breakdown of those players by county. You can be pretty sure a Leitrim, Waterford or Louth player are far less likely to want to play the championship than a guy from Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc. as the likelihood is they get beaten early doors and why bother training under these circumstances when its hard to even enjoy. So the figure of 48% is probably skewed against playing for factors other than just Covid.

Yeah, would be interesting to see a breakdown alright.

havent the GAA done enough damage?

What part of my post caused such of a reaction or did you quote the wrong post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Highly recommend this podcast which features an interview with Professor Mary Horgan.

She emphasises the fact the GAA's structures have always followed public health guidelines.Hence the happiness of both NPHET's and the government to allow a derogation for elite sports (inter county fixtures) to take place behind closed doors.

Stating the blatantly obvious the risk from outdoor activities is low whilst at the same time stating the fact that one can never guarantee safety 100%.

Routine screening is not recommended without a positive test.

The crux of the GAA's dilemma is the behavioural patterns of supporters around fixtures.

Congregating to watch games or celebrations post victories opens a can of worms.

https://cdn.radiocms.net/radio-cms/uploads/2020/10/20123308/2010_mary_horgan.mp3?aw_0_1st.collectionid=OTB006&aw_0_1st.episodeid=Gaa_matches_offer_little_risk_but_rapid_testing_wont_work_prof_mary_horgan

seligehgit wrote: »
    Highly recommend this podcast which features an interview with Professor Mary Horgan.

She emphasises the fact the GAA's structures have always followed public health guidelines.Hence the happiness of both NPHET's and the government to allow a derogation for elite sports (inter county fixtures) to take place behind closed doors.

Stating the blatantly obvious the risk from outdoor activities is low whilst at the same time stating the fact that one can never guarantee safety 100%.

Routine screening is not recommended without a positive test.

The crux of the GAA's dilemma is the behavioural patterns of supporters around fixtures.

Congregating to watch games or celebrations post victories opens a can of worms.

https://cdn.radiocms.net/radio-cms/uploads/2020/10/20123308/2010_mary_horgan.mp3?aw_0_1st.collectionid=OTB006&aw_0_1st.episodeid=Gaa_matches_offer_little_risk_but_rapid_testing_wont_work_prof_mary_horgan

I think that point is highly questionable from what I have seen this year.

Offaly giving Kildare a walkover with 25 close contacts.

Now it sounds like there's been some serious breach of guidelines there to be honest. But all in all its not been a great start, hopefully things move smoother from this weekend.

Edit: well this is very unusual, are we not getting the whole story or is this the HSE deciding they've changed their definition of a close contact now in late October??

"We also wish to emphasise that the County Board, team management, players and backroom staff have followed HSE and GAA guidelines in relation to Covid-19 at all times, and had expected that the panel members would have been deemed ‘casual contacts’ rather than ‘close contacts’ of the one player with Covid-19."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think that point is highly questionable from what I have seen this year.
    Well I found the structures for underage games and training to be excellent.

Every parent had to complete the health questionare.
    Every parent had to reconfirm their child's health status before training or games.,either by online or signing in.
    Parents even had to bring their own pen when signing in.
    Hands were sanitized entering and leaving the field.
    It was very well coordinated.

Now the actions of some parents on the other hand was not great.
    Too much hanging around on groups at matches and the like.

Well I found the structures for underage games and training to be excellent.

Every parent had to complete the health questionare.
    Every parent had to reconfirm their child's health status before training or games.,either by online or signing in.
    Parents even had to bring their own pen when signing in.
    Hands were sanitized entering and leaving the field.
    It was very well coordinated.

Now the actions of some parents on the other hand was not great.
    Too much hanging around on groups at matches and the like.

Heard that from some other under age sources too.

My experience at club matches (senior level) was different where I saw blatant disregard for public health guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Heard that from some other under age sources too.

My experience at club matches (senior level) was different where I saw blatant disregard for public health guidelines.

You see the problem is Mr and Mrs Joe Public.
    I know exactly what you are on about when you mention senior club matches.

Our club PRO posted on the club Facebook page a picture of fans from our club and fans from the opposition all in the stand together the first day back in the summer when club games started, with the tag line something like "old friends back meeting again after the long layoffs."
    What a stupid post, and what stupid people to just mingle there as if it was 2019.

Adults are fcukin stupid, they cannot get the idea that keeping your distance is a good idea.
    Club GAA fields are huge for the amount of people allowed go to games, it not that hard to spread out.
    But no, they'll all congregate in the one place.

The GAA can put as many guidelines in place as they want but if people are too ingorant or selfish to take a few steps back from other people then all the guidelines in the world will do no good.

Offaly giving Kildare a walkover with 25 close contacts.

Now it sounds like there's been some serious breach of guidelines there to be honest. But all in all its not been a great start, hopefully things move smoother from this weekend.

Edit: well this is very unusual, are we not getting the whole story or is this the HSE deciding they've changed their definition of a close contact now in late October??

"We also wish to emphasise that the County Board, team management, players and backroom staff have followed HSE and GAA guidelines in relation to Covid-19 at all times, and had expected that the panel members would have been deemed ‘casual contacts’ rather than ‘close contacts’ of the one player with Covid-19."

That seems really strange. What activities could they possibly have done outdoors to make them close rather than casual contacts? Hard to understand that 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Antrim have offered to play it in the South. I don't think they should have done so. I doubt the favour would have been returned for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Antrim have offered to play it in the South. I don't think they should have done so. I doubt the favour would have been returned for them.

Waterford tried to be clever here but it has backfired on them. Danver in Louth has a good pitch and it is in the Republic so it should have suited Waterford.

Waterford tried to be clever here but it has backfired on them. Danver in Louth has a good pitch and it is in the Republic so it should have suited Waterford.

Their statement was bollox. The match was to be nowhere near Belfast - it was to be in Portglenone.
    Why would they have reservations about travelling up to this game more than any other county?
    Why a venue close to Dublin - sure that would be more like a home game for them than antrim.

Shame they couldn't fulfil their international fixture. But they expect the Antrim lads to cross big bad border into higher restrictions.

I'm not sure what you mean? It's mentioned in the statement that they requested to play at a neutral venue but an agreement was not forthcoming on this initially. Waterford have absolutely nothing to play for so playing the match in a neutral venue is no advantage, and if they were trying to pull a fast one I really don't think they'd pretend they asked something of Antrim that they actually did not.

Looks like it could all have been sorted out anyway without either side needing to be twitter heros

"These included a request issued to Antrim to play the game at an alternative venue closer to Dublin with a view to reducing the travel time to the game and allay any concerns that players had with travelling to the North given the current Covid-19 situation there. Unfortunately, Antrim were not able to accede to this request but had agreed to look at an alternative venue within their own County that would be closer to Dublin, which we would like to acknowledge"

I'm not sure what you mean? It's mentioned in the statement that they requested to play at a neutral venue but an agreement was not forthcoming on this initially. Waterford have absolutely nothing to play for so playing the match in a neutral venue is no advantage, and if they were trying to pull a fast one I really don't think they'd pretend they asked something of Antrim that they actually did not.

Looks like it could all have been sorted out anyway without either side needing to be twitter heros

"These included a request issued to Antrim to play the game at an alternative venue closer to Dublin with a view to reducing the travel time to the game and allay any concerns that players had with travelling to the North given the current Covid-19 situation there. Unfortunately, Antrim were not able to accede to this request but had agreed to look at an alternative venue within their own County that would be closer to Dublin, which we would like to acknowledge"

Why the fnck should antrim play the game near Dublin? It was their home game. If Waterford's only concern was crossing the border, then Dundalk should be fine for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Why the fnck should antrim play the game near Dublin? It was their home game. If Waterford's only concern was crossing the border, then Dundalk should be fine for them.

Waterford had more than 1 issue. I think you need to go and read the statement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

GPA are insistent on baseline testing if the championship is to proceed.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    GPA are insistent on baseline testing if the championship is to proceed.

Proper order and not long before time.

Advertisement