Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he shouldn't be employed by RTE again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Eh he’s not just saying sligo should fulfill the fixture with a COVID outbreak or not. That’s just the first half of his message.

In the second half, He seems to be saying that Sligo might be faking it and Fermanagh and longford and Leitrim might be aswell. He doesn’t offer any theory on why they would do that.

It’s a quite incredible accusation he’s thrown out there. Have I misread it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Eh he’s not just saying sligo should fulfill the fixture with a COVID outbreak or not. That’s just the first half of his message.

In the second half, He seems to be saying that Sligo might be faking it and Fermanagh and longford and Leitrim might be aswell. He doesn’t offer any theory on why they would do that.

It’s a quite incredible accusation he’s thrown out there. Have I misread it?

hes either totally blinkered into thinking "lesser" teams have invented covid to not get hammered or hes just saying it to stir up a fuss for his own PR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

hes either totally blinkered into thinking "lesser" teams have invented covid to not get hammered or hes just saying it to stir up a fuss for his own PR

But Leitrim played anyway so they fulfilled the fixture so tomas’ theory is baseless and half baked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It's on his Twitter, if you Google "Tomás ó Sé Sligo" you will see a couple of articles on his comments also.

Not sure why you wouldn't do that if you are actually interested, rather than bother with that post on this thread.

Why didn't you just say what he tweeted. No need to be a smartass! Twitter is full of people looking for attention by being controversial. O Se is no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

recyclebin wrote: »
    Why didn't you just say what he tweeted. No need to be a smartass! Twitter is full of people looking for attention by being controversial. O Se is no different.
    he's an analyst on the national public service broadcaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

recyclebin wrote: »

It's as easy for you to check it as it would be for me to go back and post it for you, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

still that little odd feeling of not seeing the build up to the provincial club championships and the intercounty retirements/managerial appointments/resignations etc. Pre season training should be starting etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

almostover wrote: »

He didn't ask a question, he condemned a team for pulling out of a fixture after a large proportion of their panel has had to go into isolation during a pandemic. He's let himself down with these 'The show must go on' comments. If it were Kerry in the place of Sligo I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy about facing Cork without a large proportion of the 1st choice panel.

Sligo made the right decision. It's an amateur sport and they've prioritized the welfare of their players above fulfilling a fixture during a pandemic.

I was referring to the post by recyclebin, not Tomás O Sé whose comment I deplore.

I absolutely agree that Sligo did the right thing in withdrawing.

Incidentally 14 of the Sligo panel affected, I believe. That's way out of proportion to the population at large. Surely that must be a result of contact at training. Is there a lesson there for other teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

feargale wrote: »
    I was referring to the post by recyclebin, not Tomás O Sé whose comment I deplore.

Incidentally 14 of the Sligo panel affected, I believe. That's way out of proportion to the population at large. Surely that must be a result of contact at training. Is there a lesson there for other teams?

One or two of them must have had symptoms and not isolated to get tested.
    Happening in workplaces all over the island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

There are a few on Sligo football panel on their hurling panel too. So maybe that had an impact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

More likely that a lot of them had no symptoms and only the 8th or 9th person that caught it had symptoms and then they all got tested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's a remarkable claim really, big assumption and unfair on these guys IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If 6/7 of their top players have covid then surely the entire squad is a close contact.

Said it before, the GAA really ****ed up by not running this thing off when they had the chance, they were amazingly short sighted as usual.

Are you somehow suggesting that intercounty is more important than Club?

If they ran the county first they would be accused of looking after the elite and keeping sponsors happy.

Or are you simply looking to have a dig at the GAA and any sort of half baked theory will suffice? Maybe give Joe Duffy a call, he loves that sort of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I think O Se's comments were disgusting. The Sligo squad will have spent the last two or so months going to training in trying circumstances with every intention of fulfilling their fixtures. If it suited some of them to quit, to use his phrase, then why even bother going back in the first place? The prospect of playing Galway was for more daunting back in early September when you could somewhat credibly try to make the argument they were the third best team in the country based on how they had gone in the league.

grbear wrote: »
    I think O Se's comments were disgusting. The Sligo squad will have spent the last two or so months going to training in trying circumstances with every intention of fulfilling their fixtures. If it suited some of them to quit, to use his phrase, then why even bother going back in the first place? The prospect of playing Galway was for more daunting back in early September when you could somewhat credibly try to make the argument they were the third best team in the country based on how they had gone in the league.

Agreed. Too many sports commentators are as opposed to any covid restrictions as Michael O'Leary and others who would be happy to see half the country die if the money kept rolling in. O Sé isn't the first of them to rubbish the caution that is so obviously required. One can have sympathy with publicans and others whose livelihoods are seriously affected but all of these pundits have other substantial sources of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

I think it's fair to question why Sligo pulled out and why they did so that early in the week. Was it not possible to field a team at all? O'Sea is right in that teams pulling out does put the integrity of the competition in question however, when you have legitimate reasons for pulling out then it's understandable. They should share more information to make it clear why a team couldn't be fielded. Fermanagh fulfilled their fixture with 18 players missing.

However, questioning the smaller counties vs the bigger ones was stupid. Not sure what he was getting at there. I saw a few commentators saying it should have been fulfilled on another date but I actually think the GAA is right on this. If you move the date for one team, you'll have to move it for another and that would put the whole competition at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think it's fair to question why Sligo pulled out and why they did so that early in the week. Was it not possible to field a team at all? O'Sea is right in that teams pulling out does put the integrity of the competition in question however, when you have legitimate reasons for pulling out then it's understandable. They should share more information to make it clear why a team couldn't be fielded. Fermanagh fulfilled their fixture with 18 players missing.

However, questioning the smaller counties vs the bigger ones was stupid. Not sure what he was getting at there. I saw a few commentators saying it should have been fulfilled on another date but I actually think the GAA is right on this. If you move the date for one team, you'll have to move it for another and that would put the whole competition at risk.

What more information could people possibly be looking for? This has been the danger with playing off these championships in the first place, these are all amateur players in the community and they are not protected or shielded from the virus on a day to day basis like professionals are. It's gone rampant through the team and more players could develop symptoms throughout the week, cancelling the fixture was the correct thing to do.

Tomas O Se can question the integrity of the Connaught Championship the same way the integrity of the Allianz League was questioned. I think he'll get a shock when he realises the same as David Power did, that absolutely nobody cares about his self entitled opinion.

The GAA has already been given a privileged position and they need to keep the head down and get on with it. I don't think he realises how lucky they are that the whole thing wasn't pulled and he'd have to budget for the next few months without his cushy pundit role.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40084163.html

Don't know what to think of this but bloody hell championship will be over for some teams in April, bloody April ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

PTH2009 wrote: »

Don't know what to think of this but bloody hell championship will be over for some teams in April, bloody April ?

Fantastic. No reason why the county season cant be run off in a few weeks besides the long drawn out ordeal it has been. These are supposed to be elite athletes and super fit. No super 8s. Start the club season sooner as your county gets knocked out of Championship. That means last county championship would start in August at the latest. That's fantastic. Too long club players of successful counties have been slogging in winter.

I'm only seeing good things for the majority of GAA players in those proposals. Unfortunately, it seems like a system that could lose money for HQ which will ultimately make the decision.

Would love to see that kind of season happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fantastic. No reason why the county season cant be run off in a few weeks besides the long drawn out ordeal it has been. These are supposed to be elite athletes and super fit. No super 8s. Start the club season sooner as your county gets knocked out of Championship. That means last county championship would start in August at the latest. That's fantastic. Too long club players of successful counties have been slogging in winter.

I'm only seeing good things for the majority of GAA players in those proposals. Unfortunately, it seems like a system that could lose money for HQ which will ultimately make the decision.

Would love to see that kind of season happen though.
    By all means compress parts of it but not good for GAA as whole if you reduce your biggest games, stars and teams to a much smaller window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

May at the earliest, qualifiers and B Ireland for teams knocked out of the provincial championships i presume. Will certainly take some time to get use to it, hopefully supporters are allowed back to games in 2021.

On another note good to see a return of the stand alone All Ireland quarter final.

GAA must be only of the only sporting organisations to reduce its elite teams/championship in terms of matches

The best players finished as early as June/July

By all means compress parts of it but not good for GAA as whole if you reduce your biggest games, stars and teams to a much smaller window.

Its massively better for the GAA as a whole. A tiny % of registered adult players play inter county. Meaning a huge majority are waiting to play their most important games all summer. Letting club players start earlier and clubs having full access to county players will be an overall benefit.

GAA must be only of the only sporting organisations to reduce its elite teams/championship in terms of matches

They're also probably the only sporting organisation who are supposed to be amateur and their best players belong to a club first, county second.

The organisation is much bigger than the inter county game.

• Advertisement

No it isnt.
    Its massively better for the GAA as a whole. A tiny % of registered adult players play inter county. Meaning a huge majority are waiting to play their most important games all summer. Letting club players start earlier and clubs having full access to county players will be an overall benefit.
    It isnt at all. Yes few of the total adult players play inter county but that doesnt mean you cant play club during the summer even with inter county games going on if county boards and GAA as whole put in a proper season structure.
    They're also probably the only sporting organisation who are supposed to be amateur and their best players belong to a club first, county second.

The organisation is much bigger than the inter county game.
    They belong to each as much as the other. the organisation is bigger than inter county alone but where we it be without all the crowds, media attention and everything else the inter county game brings that the club game never will be able to bring

No it isnt.

It isnt at all. Yes few of the total adult players play inter county but that doesnt mean you cant play club during the summer even with inter county games going on if county boards and GAA as whole put in a proper season structure.

They belong to each as much as the other. the organisation is bigger than inter county alone but where we it be without all the crowds, media attention and everything else the inter county game brings that the club game never will be able to bring

It's a step in the right direction anyway going back to the very ethos of the gaa. Amateur games, inclusive of all. Not club v county which is pretty much is now. I agree some kind of combination needs to happen to allow county lads play with clubs all year. But at the moment county managers have far too much influence.

A condensed county season and more club time is going the right way in working towards that imo.

It's a step in the right direction anyway going back to the very ethos of the gaa. Amateur games, inclusive of all. Not club v county which is pretty much is now. I agree some kind of combination needs to happen to allow county lads play with clubs all year. But at the moment county managers have far too much influence.

A condensed county season and more club time is going the right way in working towards that imo.
    Well club v county isnt going to go away when clubs will just wait all year for inter county players to play and this holds everything up.
    Its not so much county coaches have too much influence but there is nobody within clubs/county boards willing to challenge the way things are done.
    Condensing the county season isnt the answer though. It just is missing the point that real change is needed for the better of everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone know if Juvenile games will recommence in December?

arctictree wrote: »
    should they? Why not wait until the spring and just start off with new competitions and friendlies for 2021? Madness playing GAA all through the winter anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

GAA get it wrong again.Shouldn't the County be after the club season and not before..This idea of counties being gone by the start of the summer is dire. Let the Clubs get their championships played and then let the Counties have them. The inter County pitches are way better and club form will count.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    GAA get it wrong again.Shouldn't the County be after the club season and not before..This idea of counties being gone by the start of the summer is dire. Let the Clubs get their championships played and then let the Counties have them. The inter County pitches are way better and club form will count.

I suspect the issues surrounding club celebrations may be the rationale for reversing the order next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My feeling is that any competitions at semifinal or final stage should be finished if at all possible. Know the kids would love that.

Other competitions at earlier stages just void them.

Know we have started planning for next year already with regards to getting our gang started on S&C. Initially an hour a week once we move out of level 5. Pitch sessions to start the second week in January.

We've reviewed this season, strengths and weaknesses as a team and also as a management. Also delved down into each player and have drawn up a matrix of what we want them to focus on improving for the first 8 weeks we are back. This essentially is fundamental skills of the game and also FMS.

My feeling is that any competitions at semifinal or final stage should be finished if at all possible. Know the kids would love that.

Other competitions at earlier stages just void them.

Know we have started planning for next year already with regards to getting our gang started on S&C. Initially an hour a week once we move out of level 5. Pitch sessions to start the second week in January.

We've reviewed this season, strengths and weaknesses as a team and also as a management. Also delved down into each player and have drawn up a matrix of what we want them to focus on improving for the first 8 weeks we are back. This essentially is fundamental skills of the game and also FMS.

What age group is that for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What age group is that for?

U17 for next year. This group are an immense bunch of young lads. Constantly hungry for knowledge and to improve. Lost one game all year, that was a challenge where we didn't play some and played others out of position to try and see if something would work for a county final. Average winning margin in their proper age bracket of u15 this year was 17pts. We only had a small number of u16s this year and still did the double at that level.

Seeing as they are a very young group we hope that not many are taken into county u17 fold this year. We'll definitely lose minimum 5/6 to county setup in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I suspect the issues surrounding club celebrations may be the rationale for reversing the order next year.

And who was leading the hunt against the GAA clubs during county final season?

The Holier than Thous who obviously do not think any of that applies to them in Montrose :)

At least we won't have to listen to Boucher Hayes on his high horse tomorrow about the celebrations in Armagh and Cork.

Anyway, he can be proud of the social distancing displayed by the goys yesterday against England :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    And who was leading the hunt against the GAA clubs during county final season?

The Holier than Thous who obviously do not think any of that applies to them in Montrose :)

That's all very well, and while I'm sure 31 counties were thrilled by today's Cork result the celebrations were over the top. What on earth is the point of the ref and players going elbow to elbow before the game if players are not prepared tp observe social distancing at the end? Some loopies are screaming to open churches. It's difficult to argue with them while this goes on. After all religion is more important than sport to alot of people. I don't know how much respect was shown to covid in Armagh today.
    It falls to all of us to observe, whether in Clifden, Montrose, Páirc Uí Caoimh or Rathkeale. Excusing our friends while condemning others is not the way to go. And a disappointing result at a rugby match yesterday is utterly irrelevant. Other than to say that given the exhuberance there has been at sporting events, the GAA and others are damned lucky to be allowed by the government to play anything at all.
    Some said the bad behaviour at club events would not be replicated at the inter-county level. Not until there was silverware at stake, as evidenced today.
    We have heard about the duty of people in hign places to show example. That applies to sport stars too.
    Thanks to irresponsible behaviour by too many people it is almost certain now that almost everybody who would like to travel home for Christmas 2020 will be unable to do so. That includes three of my family whom I haven't met for almost a year. I'm fully accepting of that and willing to put up with it for my own good and the common good. One can have sympathy with people abroad who cannot have Christmas here, but some of them need to cop on when it comes to excoriating the government for it. The restrictions exist for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Joanne Cantwell had some nerve to lecture Cavan supporters about Covid regulations today. One rule for RTE and another rule for everyone else.

tanko wrote: »
    Joanne Cantwell had some nerve to lecture Cavan supporters about Covid regulations today. One rule for RTE and another rule for everyone else.

Was Joanne Cantwell at the RTE event? Or did she otherwise breach guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What did she say?

thelad95 wrote: »
    What did she say?

I forget her exact words but some waffle about not celebrating too much and make sure to follow HSE guidelines.

Was Joanne Cantwell at the RTE event? Or did she otherwise breach guidelines?

I’m not sure, there was so many RTE staff packed in it was hard to tell if she was.

I forget her exact words but some waffle about not celebrating too much and make sure to follow HSE guidelines.

What's wrong with that?

Anyone any idea what the relaxation of restrictions means for the GAA, especially club matches? Can't see any mention of sport in MMs speech...

Anyone any idea what the relaxation of restrictions means for the GAA, especially club matches? Can't see any mention of sport in MMs speech...

Non contact training in pods of 15. So no point in going back at this stage basically.

Non contact training in pods of 15. So no point in going back at this stage basically.

I train a group of kids and that's basically what we are doing now in level 5. So no change there.

I train a group of kids and that's basically what we are doing now in level 5. So no change there.

Sorry, I was looking at it from an adult perspective. Yeah, same as level 5 for kids from what I can see. I'm only going off Gavan Reillys tweets. Haven't looked into anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Martin said it will be January before they look at getting underage matches played again.

The provincial and All Ireland minor (U17) championship that was due to commence a few months ago will have to played as U18 level in 2021.

• Advertisement

What happened to the under 20s?

Someone told me they were due to be played and that Paddy Power had priced the football final up again, but there's no date for it as far as I can see.

Not questioning the status of the women's junior football, but seems odd that those games were held while the male under 20s are in hiatus? Can't see any reason they would not be played.

And definitely not questioning the women's thing as I greatly enjoy the games.

(And underage certainly does not apply to the womens game as anyone familiar with the ages of players will know.)

Advertisement