Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

munster87 wrote: »
    Are many waiting for a green light I wonder.

I'd guess every single team is after the furore with the ones that got caught.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/cork-and-down-managers-facing-three-month-bans-for-breach-of-training-guidelines-40040673.html

Proposed three minth bans for Cork and Down managers plus losing one home game from the league. To only start once things get up and running again,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/cork-and-down-managers-facing-three-month-bans-for-breach-of-training-guidelines-40040673.html

Proposed three minth bans for Cork and Down managers plus losing one home game from the league. To only start once things get up and running again,

That’s 2 caught so, so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

That’s 2 caught so, so far.

So far, I’m sure there are more out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So far, I’m sure there are more out there.

Kildare were the "unnamed leinster county" mentioned a couple of weeks ago but I havent seen exactly what they were supposed to have done or if there will be any sanctions.

Radio Kerry had an interview with our new ladies captain the other day and she was asked about training and just said they had been given individual programmes to tip away with at home. Obviously that's just the official line to throw out but I'd hope that's the case across the majority of the country tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

dobman88 wrote: »
    Kildare were the "unnamed leinster county" mentioned a couple of weeks ago but I havent seen exactly what they were supposed to have done or if there will be any sanctions.

Radio Kerry had an interview with our new ladies captain the other day and she was asked about training and just said they had been given individual programmes to tip away with at home. Obviously that's just the official line to throw out but I'd hope that's the case across the majority of the country tbh.

Allegedly Kildare were running on the Curragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Allegedly Kildare were running on the Curragh

Surely they must have had loads of eye witnesses and GAA would have perused it if that's true. Curragh is fairly wide open area unless they were in army facilities.

Club window shouldnt be left to county boards either. 3 month suspension for breaching that would be a great deterent.

I’m sure there are more, silly lads. I saw at club level in the 1st lockdown. A club using a public park that would be associated with another club. A club minor team masquerading as a county u20 team and playing the club the county minors in preparation for a county minor final, which has not taken place yet and most likely won’t at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are county teams able to train now ? I'd say its fairly frustrating for the management teams and players waiting around to get the green light by the GAA

15th of February is when they are reviewing the matter. Its a health situation where they are reviewing how the cases will be. I don't see how the GAA can be at fault for that.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0201/1194422-gaa-delays-decision-on-return-to-training-by-two-weeks/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Are many waiting for a green light I wonder.

Not all teams are straining to get back training. It hasn't been that long since last season. The mood around the Limerick hurlers is they are in no rush back ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Is club training back on? seen a group of lads training on the local GAA pitch this morning, did't look like it was just a kick around as they had 2 bags of balls. On the other I didn't see any trainers or coaches with them.

signostic wrote: »
    Is club training back on? seen a group of lads training on the local GAA pitch this morning, did't look like it was just a kick around as they had 2 bags of balls. On the other I didn't see any trainers or coaches with them.

GAA pitch or community grounds?

signostic wrote: »

Definitely not sanctioned anyway. But I see a bunch of lads around the same time every day at the pitch in my estate doing a bit of running and kicking. Not on top of each other either.

If you think it's a full session, you could report it. If its just lads having a kick, what harm.

Definitely not sanctioned anyway. But I see a bunch of lads around the same time every day at the pitch in my estate doing a bit of running and kicking. Not on top of each other either.

If you think it's a full session, you could report it. If its just lads having a kick, what harm.

Pitch near me has had young lads organising their own training for the past few week. Better to be out getting some running in rather than sitting at a games console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

recyclebin wrote: »
    GAA pitch or community grounds?

GAA pitch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Apparently no GAA activity of any kind until Easter at the earliest, Looks like could be clubs at the start again

Anyone else getting extremely pissed off at these restrictions :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Apparently no GAA activity of any kind until Easter at the earliest, Looks like could be clubs at the start again

What else do you do? You cant do much.
    Vaccinations are increasing so if that helps it can change down the line. Makes sense to play clubs first as by end of 2021 going into mid/late autumn we may see crowds at games

We have been quietly told June for underage to be playing games.

Going by the letter sent to all club secretaries, intercounty football and training is not allowed under level 5. Will it even be allowed under level 4? For club GAA the country to be at level 2 or less so club won't start before intercounty.

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/315583

Inter County no longer deemed Elite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm struggling to find evidence that training outdoors contributes to the spread of covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

rrs wrote: »
    https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/315583

Inter County no longer deemed Elite

Strange one as gives no reason why GAA suddenly not considered elite?

The cynic in me thinks that the GAA might have quietly asked for this or not argued against it as they weren't getting any funding from the government for IC this year so from a cost perspective it makes sense to have IC in the autumn as there might be some crowds allowed in by then.

Players can't be isolated and tested every other day like pro sports. They've jobs and lives. Fairly simple why I'd have thought.

And I say that as someone who cannot wait for the games to come back and have really missed not training, playing or watching games.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

We have been quietly told June for underage to be playing games.

I'd be happy with that . I think we need to get back Non-Contact training first , then normal training .
    Had hoped for non contact training in March , but looks unlikely now

Players can't be isolated and tested every other day like pro sports. They've jobs and lives. Fairly simple why I'd have thought.

And I say that as someone who cannot wait for the games to come back and have really missed not training, playing or watching games.

Yeah, I get that. But that was the situation when they ran the championship too. I guess the higher numbers influenced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

GAA love to play the amateur card when it fits the narrative but suddenly they are elite when needed

Looking like another winter AL

Yeah, I get that. But that was the situation when they ran the championship too. I guess the higher numbers influenced it.

Higher numbers and new variants. Though Cork and Down being caught meeting up, might not have helped in the Elite tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Higher numbers and new variants. Though Cork and Down being caught meeting up, might not have helped in the Elite tag.

And the situation in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The Covid weekly case numbers will likely be lower in March than what they were in November, December when the GAA Championships was played.

Makes little sense why it was exempt under Level 5 then and not now.

• Advertisement

Not really. The lockdown is now in the the 7th week, and still averaging 1 thousand cases a day. Last November and Dember the average was around 300 or 400.

Next month it could be average of 300 or 400 ,which would be same figure as last November and December. ,The new variants are causing more numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Not really. The lockdown is now in the the 7th week, and still averaging 1 thousand cases a day. Last November and Dember the average was around 300 or 400.

Next month it could be average of 300 or 400 ,which would be same figure as last November and December. ,The new variants are causing more numbers

November wasn't coming down from 6,000 weekly cases. The seven day average in cases is currently 944 and had been falling for 31 days in a row.

Prof Nolan said a few weeks ago we could see 200-400 per day by the end of this month so lower again by March.

For round 6 of the NFL October 17th/18th the 7 day average in cases was 1,071

For the start of GAA football championship October 31st 7 day average was 773 cases per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Covid weekly case numbers will likely be lower in March than what they were in November, December when the GAA Championships was played.

It is fairly clear that policy across the board is no longer driven primarily by numbers. Obviously concern about variants, particularly vaccine-resistant ones, is now driving restrictions.

November wasn't coming down from 6,000 weekly cases. The seven day average in cases is currently 944 and had been falling for 31 days in a row.

Prof Nolan said a few weeks ago we could see 200-400 per day by the end of this month so lower again by March.

For round 6 of the NFL October 17th/18th the 7 day average in cases was 1,071

For the start of GAA football championship October 31st 7 day average was 773 cases per day.

75 per cent of cases in January were related to the new UK variant. There is also South African , Brazilian and who knows what other variants. These weren't mentioned or an issue back in November. Its not much point talking about those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

There was a piece on the radio about this on Claire Byrne's show. Seems GAA, LGFA etc were aware that an exemption that allowed the championships take place last year and expired once the championships had concluded.

Tomas O Se hit the nail on the head. If the GAA new about this back in October they really have let people down only communicating it yesterday.

howiya wrote: »
    There was a piece on the radio about this on Claire Byrne's show. Seems GAA, LGFA etc were aware that an exemption that allowed the championships take place last year and expired once the championships had concluded.

Tomas O Se hit the nail on the head. If the GAA new about this back in October they really have let people down only communicating it yesterday.

It looks like they assumed they still had an exemption and only found out last week. The whole fixture plan was based on the exemptions for intercounty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There was higher cases in January alone than the entirety of 2020. The landscape changed dramatically since November.

Given how rapidly the situation deteriorated over the Christmas period and the shambles that the GAA made of club championship celebrations last year I think any clout they had in terms of bargaining is long gone.

Also, nobody gives a toss about the league, certainly not worth risking amateur players (and their families) health again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

thelad95 wrote: »
    There was higher cases in January alone than the entirety of 2020. The landscape changed dramatically since November.

Given how rapidly the situation deteriorated over the Christmas period and the shambles that the GAA made of club championship celebrations last year I think any clout they had in terms of bargaining is long gone.

Also, nobody gives a toss about the league, certainly not worth risking amateur players (and their families) health again.

Not sure what the GAA could do about club celebrations though. That's on the people themselves being clowns.

I don't think we will see any action until numbers are low and or vaccination has taken place. Are club competitions that were no completed last year written off or is there a hope they will be completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

thelad95 wrote: »

To be fair, how can the GAA stop people from celebrating? They can only advise. What people do on the street is an issue for the Gardai.

I don't think we will see any action until numbers are low and or vaccination has taken place. Are club competitions that were no completed last year written off or is there a hope they will be completed?

They sure as hell better be completed. I got into my first county final in 4 years and my first for the club since I moved. Struggled to win a game the 1st 3 years so we will be wanting the final played whenever we can, as I'm sure the other team would do also.

Yeah, the u16c final from last year needs to be played!!! I'd imagine anything not finished will be scrapped. Things are gonna be tight timewise this year.

I agree that i dont think we will see any games until numbers are very low and/or large scale vaccination has taken place

I think club competitions from last year shouldnt be complete
    If the competitions hadnt reached the final then the competition is null and void while if two teams had reached a final then just declare both as champions and they share the title and just get on with playing the 2021 competitions.

They sure as hell better be completed. I got into my first county final in 4 years and my first for the club since I moved. Struggled to win a game the 1st 3 years so we will be wanting the final played whenever we can, as I'm sure the other team would do also.

I'm with you AA jnr in in a county minor final. Here's hoping.

Yeah, the u16c final from last year needs to be played!!! I'd imagine anything not finished will be scrapped. Things are gonna be tight timewise this year.

Be careful there, you might run out of exclamation marks. It was a genuine question, many players may have reached a county final, they may never reach one again. Dobman is an example, he wants to play his final, as will most players who have made one. But I agree, they will probably not get played.

• Advertisement

Be careful there, you might run out of exclamation marks. It was a genuine question, many players may have reached a county final, they may never reach one again. Dobman is an example, he wants to play his final, as will most players who have made one. But I agree, they will probably not get played.

Want and needs will meet a big bag of reality this year when it comes to fixtures framework this year. Some competitions won't occur.

Want and need is very different thing. Of course if you made final you will want it played but how many competitions should be finished from last year?

IMO you are far better off focusing on the 2021 competitions. Loads of competitions didnt even get to finals. Leave them all incomplete.

In Galway, they have a senior relegation play offfinal still to be played. I think that will eventually be played because it will leave 19 senior teams in Galway if not played. I am sure there are other examples like this around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

arctictree wrote: »
    To be fair, how can the GAA stop people from celebrating? They can only advise. What people do on the street is an issue for the Gardai.

The GAA as an organisation comes down to every individual. They pride themselves on the work of volunteers nationwide. There was well publicised celebrations that took place in GAA clubhouses as well as fairly loose adherence to the guidelines in general. One Limerick club game that took place on national TV had zero social distancing among spectators. Not to mention the parade after the Cork final.

Every single club final that was won had celebratory huddles amongst players afterwards. This was all stuff that was prohibited in guidelines issued from HQ and completely ignored by grassroots members. When I refer to the GAA, I refer to every single individual member as that's how the organisation is truly run, not just the suits in Dublin. And they badly showed themselves up. A club player that organised a piss up in his house with everyone drinking from the cup is as much a member of the GAA as the president is. As are the stewards in Limerick and Tyrone that weren't arsed keeping spectators apart.

Cork and Down were caught training but realistically there was definitely more teams at it. Highly irresponsible behaviour. What these grassroots members don't realise is every time they mess up they're losing a serious amount of bargaining power for the suits that actually deal with the government.

Want and need is very different thing. Of course if you made final you will want it played but how many competitions should be finished from last year?

IMO you are far better off focusing on the 2021 competitions. Loads of competitions didnt even get to finals. Leave them all incomplete.

I agree that any competition not at the final stage should be forgotten about. But for any where its just a final to be played should be completed imo. It's only affecting 2 teams from that grade so it's not that hard to sort the fixtures out.

Saying that, I honestly dont think we will see any club action this year at all. And if that's the case, obviously everything gets scrapped and we move onto 2022.

• Advertisement
Advertisement