Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could the IC season be put back over this controversy. Bit harsh to punish other counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

billyhead wrote: »
    Could the IC season be put back over this controversy. Bit harsh to punish other counties.

I wouldn't say so. It would be incredibly harsh if so. Probably some kind of sanction in line with Cork and Down for breaking GAA guidelines. And I'd expect a Garda fine maybe for the players identified for breaching national covid regulations. That's if an investigation has been launched, according to radio it has.

That's how things are dealt with so I dont expect anything more severe for what is quite a low risk activity. It just looks bad because of rules in place and peoples perception of the GAA as being able to do what they want.

It'll all blow over before championship starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. It would be incredibly harsh if so. Probably some kind of sanction in line with Cork and Down for breaking GAA guidelines. And I'd expect a Garda fine maybe for the players identified for breaching national covid regulations. That's if an investigation has been launched, according to radio it has.

That's how things are dealt with so I dont expect anything more severe for what is quite a low risk activity. It just looks bad because of rules in place and peoples perception of the GAA as being able to do what they want.

It'll all blow over before championship starts.

Big difference is that Cork and Down both claimed as part of their defence that what they did were unique once-off meet-ups - Cork team-bonding and Down information sessions to provide fitness/training plans.

There's no way that Dublin will be able to convince anyone this was just an once-off incident, given the timing and the nature of it.

No-ones going to believe that it was just nine of the squad who broke the rules.

I would imagine that there is a discussion going on in Parnell Park weighing the risks of confessing to everything versus trying to brazen it out and trying to pretend this was not part of an ongoing early return to training, with the risk that more evidence of other training sessions will come out. Someone obviously tipped off the Independent - if Dublin GAA try to lie about the number of sesssions and more evidence comes forward, they will get absolutely crucified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Achebe wrote: »
    This is just Dublin's winning attitude. Maybe if other counties broke the law, they would win some All Irelands!

I really dont think that doubling down is the approach to take here to be honest with you. When you factor in that fenton has been working down in kilarney of late, and yet has popped up in dublin for a group training session - government ministers have lost their jobs over this sort of thing. The current foty being caught red handed could do all sorts of damage to the gaa as regards sponsorship etc. This will have to be acted upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I really dont think that doubling down is the approach to take here to be honest with you. When you factor in that fenton has been working down in kilarney of late, and yet has popped up in dublin for a group training session - government ministers have lost their jobs over this sort of thing. The current foty being caught red handed could do all sorts of damage to the gaa as regards sponsorship etc. This will have to be acted upon.

Their will be no damage to GAA sponsorship or Dublin's. This will be forgotten about in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Achebe wrote: »
    This is just Dublin's winning attitude. Maybe if other counties broke the law, they would win some All Irelands!

Other Counties have broke the law :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

ShyMets wrote: »
    Their will be no damage to GAA sponsorship or Dublin's. This will be forgotten about in a few weeks

There is reputational damage to the GAA from this, as there was for the Cork and Down incidents. This may have an impact on sponsorship (who wants to be associated with an organisation that thumbs its nose at society).
    As Dublin are the All Ireland champions and one of the highest profile teams it’s getting huge interest. Limerick would probably get similar lashing if caught doing the same.

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    There is reputational damage to the GAA from this, as there was for the Cork and Down incidents. This may have an impact on sponsorship (who wants to be associated with an organisation that thumbs its nose at society).
    As Dublin are the All Ireland champions and one of the highest profile teams it’s getting huge interest. Limerick would probably get similar lashing if caught doing the same.

I suspect a lot of blue chip brand names will more then happy to be associated with Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

dunnerc wrote: »
    Other Counties have broke the law :rolleyes:

Like who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Best of luck to the Indo on getting interviews with the Dublin panel male or female this summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

roadmaster wrote: »
    Best of luck to the Indo on getting interviews with the Dublin panel male or female this summer!

Shame we are going to deprived of such illuminating interviews and shoutouts for protein bar sponsors. How will we cope

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I suspect a lot of blue chip brand names will more then happy to be associated with Dublin

Quite probably, however will the price have decreased relative to last week’s value? We won’t know but I’m sure that whatever agency handles the Dubs has been facepalming all morning.

Similarly for the marketing department in Crome Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So there is a plus to this. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

The gaa cant keep letting these things go. This is the third case, so obviously the earlier punishments arent enough. Furthermore we can see exactly who is involved here and it is their posterboy, who, to add insult to injury, seems to have driven the length of the country to be there. If the averge joe soap is getting hit with a fine for doing that then they simply cant let it slide, nor should they for that matter. They could be looking at lengthy bans and a fine for those flouting the 5km rule

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Shame we are going to deprived of such illuminating interviews and shoutouts for protein bar sponsors. How will we cope

Most sports fans would have an interest in the views and opinions coming from the camp of the 6 in a row reigning champions. Perhaps you don't because perhaps you are not Gaa football fan.

But they are completely guilty and the newspaper is only doing its job. What justification do they have for such behaviour? It sounds like something a spoilt brat would do.

The gaa cant keep letting these things go. This is the third case, so obviously the earlier punishments arent enough. Furthermore we can see exactly who is involved here and it is their posterboy, who, to add insult to injury, seems to have driven the length of the country to be there. If the averge joe soap is getting hit with a fine for doing that then they simply cant let it slide, nor should they for that matter. They could be looking at lengthy bans and a fine for those flouting the 5km rule

I fully expect suspensions to be handed out and fines if the players have been deemed to be in breach of restrictions.

The suspensions I suspect will be time based and as the Championship is still someway of it will more then likely not impact on Dublin.

But we'll see what happens

But they are completely guilty and the newspaper is only doing its job. What justification do they have for such behaviour? It sounds like something a spoilt brat would do.

They don't need a justification. They are under no contractual obligation to give interviews to any newspaper or TV channel

As far as I'm aware, Fentons work in Killarney finished up recently and he has been back in Dublin since. So not like he drove from Kerry to Dublin just for training.

Always feels weird when hyperbolic posts make me defend the Dubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Amazing how when the Dubs break the law, it's apparently all fine and everyone else is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

As far as I'm aware, Fentons work in Killarney finished up recently and he has been back in Dublin since. So not like he drove from Kerry to Dublin just for training.

I don't think he is suggesting Fenton drove from Kerry for 7 am training.
    More the 5k limit In Dublin, Fenton is from Raheny In southside,how far was that to training on the Northside?

They don't need a justification. They are under no contractual obligation to give interviews to any newspaper or TV channel

Indeed they do not, but refusing to talk to a newspaper because it reported on your own illegal activity is not exactly the behaviour of good sportsmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Amazing how when the Dubs break the law, it's apparently all fine and everyone else is to blame.

That would be amazing if it was true but its not. I'm a Dub and its not fine to break the law and I don't blame everyone else for this situation bar the people involved.

That would be amazing if it was true but its not. I'm a Dub and its not fine to break the law and I don't blame everyone else for this situation bar the people involved.

Good for you, but plenty of people are defending them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I can't believe this is front page news.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    More the 5k limit In Dublin, Fenton is from Raheny In southside,how far was that to training on the Northside?

Raheny is on the Northside and wouldn't be much further than 5km from the Innisfael Gaa grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Raheny is on the Northside. Actually walking distance to the site in question.

Jaden wrote: »
    Raheny is on the Northside. Actually walking distance to the site in question.

It wouldn't be walking distance. It wouldn't be much more than 5km though.

Its pretty clear he meant Fenton drove from Kerry to Dublin.

"Furthermore we can see exactly who is involved here and it is their posterboy, who, to add insult to injury, seems to have driven the length of the country to be there"

Raheny is well within a 5km radius of Innisfails GAA. I had to check that out on the 2km from home website that was set up last year but it's pretty clear.

Raheny is in the southside ? Jesus wept :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Right or wrong this is happening all over the place anyone that doesn't think it is has there head in the sand . The rugby club down the road from me are once a week in a warehouse practicing lineouts !

Good for you, but plenty of people are defending them.

And plenty of people going overboard to crucify them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Where does this leave Wicklow.

I think we should be awarded Leinster.

Have you any concrete proof to support that his employment finished up? Regardless of that claim, how could he get back to dublin from killarney without breaking the law?

Right or wrong this is happening all over the place anyone that doesn't think it is has there head in the sand . The rugby club down the road from me are once a week in a warehouse practicing lineouts !

Whataboutery didnt prevent the likes of calleary and hogan from being removed from their jobs, so what makes you think it will excuse this behaviour? If a guy is caught committing a crime, he wont get away with it by simply saying sure ye didnt catch the guy last week who done the same... They are guilty, they were caught, they should be punished.

Re no obligations to the media, they have obligations to the gaa members who give them such a privileged position.

Whataboutery didnt prevent the likes of calleary and hogan from being removed from their jobs, so what makes you think it will excuse this behaviour? If a guy is caught committing a crime, he wont get away with it by simply saying sure ye didnt catch the guy last week who done the same... They are guilty, they were caught, they should be punished.

Re no obligations to the media, they have obligations to the gaa members who give them such a privileged position.

I dont think anybody is claiming that players involved should not be punished

Have you any concrete proof to support that his employment finished up? Regardless of that claim, how could he get back to dublin from killarney without breaking the law?

No, nothing concrete. Just know a couple of lads who were dealing with him at home and he came back to Dublin recently, as I said, as far as I'm aware. I'm not in the habit of keeping tabs on random people. Have you any to say he is still working there :rolleyes:

It's not breaking any law to return to your normal residence after finishing work.

Did I break the law when I was sent on a job to Belfast for a few days and had to return home after it.

Some of the lengths people are going to here are extraordinary. It's not so much clutching at straws, as just grabbing at thin air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TXPTGR1 wrote: »

But you've no agenda of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Trying to apportion any blame on Fenton for travelling the breadth of the country to train covertly is ridiculous.

I am in the camp that ALL team sports should be back training anyway. I mean speaking from my own county's POV, if Wexford FC are deemed an elite set-up, yet are no way competitive in the basement league in Ireland, then why can't either of our county teams, or for example Enniscorthy RFC, be back training? I'm part of a minor backroom team, and it's so hard to keep young lads committed to programmes when you don't have the physical option of a field to train on collectively.

However, the current guidelines stipulate that no county teams are allowed train right now, so Dublin were inherently wrong to do so. Setting a bad example as much as anything, and for anyone to defend it really should have a look at themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

To be honest it's all a bit of a joke. You can head down to the local park/pitch to have a kickaround but if anything is arranged lads are out with pitchforks - what's the bloody difference!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dessie Farrell suspended for 12 weeks

I wonder do they have evidence that he organised the 'kickabout', or is it just the buck stopping with the manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

billyhead wrote: »

Kick Dublin out others will a chance then :p

I wonder do they have evidence that he organised the 'kickabout', or is it just the buck stopping with the manager...

It's the county board trying to look like they're taking action, which is commendable but the GAA will have to take action too so could possibly face a longer ban so not sure making a statement banning him for 12 weeks was the best idea from them tbh.

Let the GAA investigate and ban follow. This could get needlessly messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That was from Dublin themselves.
    If he gets a ban from the GAA, in line with the Cork/Down bans he could miss the entire season, unless
    a) the bans run simultaneously or
    b) the dates keep getting pushed back because of behaviour like this, and he has his ban(s) served before the Championship starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

Were any of the players sanctioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Were any of the players sanctioned?

Not so far AFAIK. Maybe waiting to establish exactly who was involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Not so far AFAIK. Maybe waiting to establish exactly who was involved...

The Gardaí are investigating it so maybe they’ll deal with the players. Which, when you think about it, is stupid when they drive past the canals every day and see large groups drinking their heads off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Dublin GAA as an organisation trying to take the steam out of this story. Similar tactic used by Man It's with the Cantana incident against Palace all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I hope this signals the end of this 'Elite status' boll*x. Time and time again GAA individuals have proven incapable of following the restrictions.

The media went to great lengths to differentiate between the inter county return in 2 weeks and the club game celebrations mess at the end of last year. Club or county, it's the same individuals involved so no surprise there is no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dublin GAA as an organisation trying to take the steam out of this story. Similar tactic used by Man It's with the Cantana incident against Palace all those years ago.

Bizarre comparison

Advertisement