Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lateral thinking with yeast in short supply

Options
  • 03-04-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

No fresh yeast available when I collected my Pallas order :( None in local supermarkets. So after a bit of googling and lateral thinking I have various home brew yeasts instead! Champagne yeast the winner so far, with great brioche. Lager yeast very good for cold/slow ferments. None have let us down so far!!

Lots of home brew yeast available easily and cheaply online if you're unable to find baker's yeast!

Glad I've kept my sourdough starter going too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hint: Drożdże :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Alun wrote: »
    Hint: Drożdże :D

Even our local polish shop is out of stock...I usually buy my fresh yeast there!

To be honest, this brewing yeast bread has turned into a welcome fun distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Springwell wrote: »
    Even our local polish shop is out of stock...I usually buy my fresh yeast there!

Asian supermarkets can have it too, in large tubs.

Some of the "no knead" recipes just call for 1gram per loaf.

You could also multiply your bread yeast if you got any tiny amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can also make your own yeast. It’s a bit more time consuming, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

rubadub wrote: »
    Asian supermarkets can have it too, in large tubs.

Some of the "no knead" recipes just call for 1gram per loaf.

You could also multiply your bread yeast if you got any tiny amount.

The Asian place at Red Cow had sold out...yeast seems like gold dust these days :pac:

No-knead is a favorite here...and lager yeast works great in it as it requires lower fermentation temperatures apparently :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Faith wrote: »
    You can also make your own yeast. It’s a bit more time consuming, obviously.

I've seen some guides in recent days for this (starting with raisins etc) - but does it effectively create a sourdough starter-style yeast, or is it something that can be treated in the same way as instant/quick yeast in terms of proving times etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Springwell wrote: »
    The Asian place at Red Cow had sold out...yeast seems like gold dust these days :pac:
    I know a man that can sort you out with a 50 bag

shutterstock_777243970.jpg?h=b6717701&itok=5Lamzb-8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I’m back on the sourdough train after spending bloody ages looking for yeast. Hope to be good to go in a week.

Advertisement