Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus as opportunity

Options
  • 03-04-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I know that I will be eaten alive by “Pharmaceutical Brigade”… But I need to put out my two cents for discussion.

This is a new virus. Hospitals and scientists are experimenting and trying different medicines to conquer it. On the other hand doctors in overwhelmed boards are making heartbreaking decisions, who they will save.

And who they will let die.

Now I was thinking about thinking outside the box scientist and doctors, who maybe now are isolating because they are infected, while not severely sick. Maybe it could be a great opportunity for them to try different approach. If some people will die anyway, so maybe it would be worth trying traditional methods as the last resort. If they fail, so it would be at least scientific proof that it was a rubbish, but if it worked, so maybe some methods could be implemented as a regular healing procedures? What could we lose in this way? It might save few lives…

Two days ago it was an article published in The Lancet about new vaccine and the way of delivering it:
    “The skin is an ideal target for immunization. It contains a rich population of antigen presenting and immune accessory cells capable of inducing a proinflammatory microenvironment favoring the induction of potent and durable adaptive immunity [24,25]. Of several emerging skin-targeted drug delivery methods, dissolving MNAs have emerged as a minimally-invasive intracutaneous approach [2628].”

So from this article delivering a vaccine between layers of the skin is the most effective way to build durable immunity. But what if the old folk method of cupping, was a way of delivering into the skin infected blood to quicker build immunological response?

Why taking virus out of the body, trying to check it properly and then deliver it in intracutaneous way, when it can be delivered into the skin from the inside? Why don’t trust body inner wisdom to protect itself? Only to prod it slightly through skin delivery in a form of infected bruises….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Words. Lots of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Words. Lots of them.

Too many?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because before we applied experimental and evidence based medicine to illnesses and relied on "traditional" methods the world had rolling near annual plagues with fatality rates that would make Covid19 look like a bit of a sniffle. Now some traditional methods showed promise(particularly among herbal remedies) and we refined them and we call them medicine. Because they work. You don't need to believe in spirits or ley lines or crystal, they'll still work.

As for that Lancet article and your proposal; let's just say your understanding of how stuff actually works is decidedly lacking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Wibbs wrote: »
    As for that Lancet article and your proposal; let's just say your understanding of how stuff actually works is decidedly lacking.

Maybe more to the merit response would be useful? Exactly where do you see the fault in my understanding? It was a point to start a discussion because I don't know all answers. But it seems you do...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Words. Lots of them.

Well, it's a message board, isn't it?

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because before we applied experimental and evidence based medicine to illnesses and relied on "traditional" methods the world had rolling near annual plagues with fatality rates that would make Covid19 look like a bit of a sniffle. Now some traditional methods showed promise(particularly among herbal remedies) and we refined them and we call them medicine. Because they work. You don't need to believe in spirits or ley lines or crystal, they'll still work.

Just to clarify further.

You seem old enough to know that what is used by official medicine is not only what works but most important: what brings money. The best traditional medicine, if can’t be patented and sold won’t be used.

Why has it not been done earlier? Firstly in the past 90 years people got complacent because of antibiotics.

That’s why I see this virus as an opportunity to officially check other ways to use more people own immune system… In times of antibiotic resistant bacteria strains developing, it is becoming more and more pressing subject.

Secondly give me one example from recent times, when people were not helped in hospitals because the latter ones were overloaded.

I am only saying about scientifically trying other ways as the last resort before letting people die. Is that so bad?

Advertisement