Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you miss the pub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Substitute

a 5/6 pint limit or 2 hours as some suggested

for

'you can't stay as other people are waiting to get in'

In that statement is what I was saying.

I really don't get what you're going on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

cdeb wrote: »
    So you agree it's about social distancing. Because the pub can't be full any more because of social distancing. And a 6 pint limit won't make it any safer. Because pubs are social places where social distancing isn't really possible. With or without 6 pints.

Simple way around that is to have 5 pints in every pub in town. No chance it will work, the pubs need to stay shut or open back up fully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

saabsaab wrote: »
    Substitute

a 5/6 pint limit or 2 hours as some suggested

for

'you can't stay as other people are waiting to get in'

In that statement is what I was saying.

I really don't get what you're going on about.

You can't get in because capacity is strictly limited because of social distancing.

Not because they're overflowing due to popularity.

So substitute your comment in - and you've done nothing about social distancing.

So we all get sick and die.

saabsaab for President!

Simple way around that is to have 5 pints in every pub in town. No chance it will work, the pubs need to stay shut or open back up fully.
    I'll have to do some research on that and get back to you if that's ok?:pac:

You can't get in because capacity is strictly limited because of social distancing.

So substitute your comment in - and you've done nothing about social distancing.

saabsaab for President!

And you said my suggestion was daft!

• Advertisement

And you said my suggestion was daft!
    Yes, it was

I showed why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

saabsaab for President!

LOL. Looks to me that it could be like a military operation to get a pint going forward ha.

I'll wait and see, but it is probably not worth it anymore really if you have to wear a mask and goggles along with the staff, and deal with the lavatory/jacks issues and all the rest of it like staying away from everyone.

Back garden gazebos and awnings etc. for our dire unpredictable weather might make a fortune. Summer in the garden sounds great, just fall up the stairs to the leaba.

Yes, it was

I showed why

No you didn't!

Instead of 'you can't stay' you could stay for a limited number of drinks (or time) in that 'covid free' environment. You have taken it all wrong.

How is it a covid-free environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I would love a pint by myself in my local this Saturday afternoon after a long walk. Just listening to podcasts and at a table with a pint of Guinness.

Dont even care if the bar staff go around with surgical gear On around me. Also I’d happily pay double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gas the way some are suggesting daft solutions to something that really cannot happen for the moment and for a while yet either.

Pubs will sadly not be the same again until a vaccine is found. I could not and will not Q for a pint, order a table, stay 2m away from everyone and be corralled behind yellow lines.

Back garden will do.

Wonder what Vintners will suggest.

Said it before I'll say it again, we have no idea if or when a vaccine will come, people at the end of the day for want of a better phase down the line will just have to get on things and learn to live alongside it. Time will come where the cure at the moment is worse than the disease. France came out last night and said as much that now was that time for them.

How is it a covid-free environment?

I'll take you back to the original post

'Well imagine your local with 10% of the customers, perspex at the counter, only card payment, all staff wearing masks and gloves and labels on the floor to ensure people maintain a safe distance, which given air con, is probably more than 2 metres.

And you can only have 5 pints or stay 2 hours (can't stay as other people are waiting to get in) so only 2 of your friends can join you at a time rather than the group of 5.

Toilets are strictly limited use and many smoking areas will be closed as they would be too small unless restricted to one or two people.

And you pay €6 for a pint rather than €1.50 in the offy? '

This would be as close to covid free as you could get outside of home!

I'll take you back to the original post

'Well imagine your local with 10% of the customers, perspex at the counter, only card payment, all staff wearing masks and gloves and labels on the floor to ensure people maintain a safe distance, which given air con, is probably more than 2 metres.

And you can only have 5 pints or stay 2 hours (can't stay as other people are waiting to get in) so only 2 of your friends can join you at a time rather than the group of 5.

Toilets are strictly limited use and many smoking areas will be closed as they would be too small unless restricted to one or two people.

And you pay €6 for a pint rather than €1.50 in the offy? '

This would be as close to covid free as you could get outside of home!

It really wouldn't.

Because - as you've been told - you've to work out the jacks, the smoking areas, food handling, general sociability, and everything else that comes with, you know, being in a pub.

'It really wouldn't.

Because - as you've been told - you've to work out the jacks, the smoking areas, food handling, general sociability, and everything else that comes with, you know, being in a pub.'

If they want to reopen safely then these issues would be worked out. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just occurred to me this is like being in a pub where some guy comes back from the toilet and says -

"and another thing..........."

Then it all starts off again :)

elperello wrote: »
    Just occurred to me this is like being in a pub where some guy comes back from the toilet and says -

"and another thing..........."

Then it all starts off again :)
    You're right.

I think the point has been made and ignored. :)

The rest of ye agree.

I've a can and a zoom call here anyway. It's not the same - not remotely the same - as the pub, but it'll do for now.

A few pints in Cork would be nice. Whenever that will be.

Will be interesting to see what the LVA tell the Government what to do re the pubs. They have a huge voice after all.

They wanted Minimum Unit Pricing. Well that's a dead duck anyway. I await the tail wagging the dog here and what their innovative solutions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Saabsaab, I have no doubt some issues might be worked out, but then the pub you think you are going back to isn't actually the pub you go to.

Now, this new type might still appeal to people, there has been a few posters on here saying they would pay almost any price to basically sit 2m from a friend in any otherwise empty bar.

But closing time is never adhered to, what makes you think people will start obeying the rules? Drink lower inhibitions, tongues loosen and you see your mates you haven't seen in months. How many are really going to stay 2m away.

In a group of 4, that is a pretty large empty space in the middle. Think about your local and how 2m would work. You also have to take account of walk through areas. You can't sit at the bar, that needs 2m to protect the barman, who least we forget, will now be faced with multiple chances of infection everyday unless the right precautions are taken.

IMO, and seeing those restaurant pics, it sounds like a complete misery.

Its a real problem for the vintners, it really seems like their whole business model is in jeopardy.

Said it before I'll say it again, we have no idea if or when a vaccine will come, people at the end of the day for want of a better phase down the line will just have to get on things and learn to live alongside it. Time will come where the cure at the moment is worse than the disease. France came out last night and said as much that now was that time for them.

France does not have a pub culture like we do. They have cafe bars and people drink just as much, it just sounds cultured lol. And they have the weather and open spaces much more than we do, and have lots of pedestrianised streets and squares unlike our urban or even our country areas do. Even in omg Paris.

There are so many European countries that embrace the cafe culture and the ability to have outside space even in Winter, they have heaters and rugs. We don't. Shame on us.

• Advertisement

There are so many European countries that embrace the cafe culture and the ability to have outside space even in Winter, they have heaters and rugs. We don't. Shame on us.
    Me bollix. Irish pubs are fantastic places; that's why they've spread across the world. No shame in us embracing pub culture at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

look lads there are some here thinking of the packed bars in dublin and big towns where this will be monitered. the rural pubs in sleepy villages , the social distancing will hapeen for a fortnight then that will be the end of it, we all know how it goes.

Me bollix. Irish pubs are fantastic places; that's why they've spread across the world. No shame in us embracing pub culture at all.

I know that, but it ain't happening for a while yet. What are the attributes that attract people to Irish pubs abroad, a good crowd, bit of craic, good pints, and if lucky a live band. Same as here really.

Not going to happen anytime soon sadly.

Just thinking of the time a few years ago in the Basque country in Bayonne. Watching Ireland in the Euros, and they put up a screen just for us. That was because it is Rugby Country, they are not that into Soccer. But anyway. It was great fun. And the screen was outside and everyone was outside. Was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is the whole population social distancing ??

I'm seeing groups of people everywhere walking close together. People in supermarkets are still on top of each other

Dickie10 wrote: »
    look lads there are some here thinking of the packed bars in dublin and big towns where this will be monitered. the rural pubs in sleepy villages , the social distancing will hapeen for a fortnight then that will be the end of it, we all know how it goes.

Cant help but agree to be honest

What's different about those kind of pubs? I'm sure the Corona Virus knows it will never happen there.

The vast majority cannot avail of such places anyway because they have to work in the smoke.

But whatever, I am sure the farmers will come down the mountain as usual and drive the tractor back home. Hopefully virus free.

virus free? guys i think we have to get out of thinkiig this way, e wont be free of this virus for years, you just get on with it. the aim of the lockdown was too not overun ICU, lets get it down to a very low level over next month then get back living or get busy dying. Time to take out chances, may as well stop driving on roads as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

disagree - one question is how economical is it to maintain social distancing and keep the pub open. Can a pub remain profitable.

I grew up in a rural pub and my parents still own it - how to reopen now they dont know to be honest.

Our pub is our home btw not just my parents business

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Be interested in seeing when restaurants and cafes reopen will they class gastro pub as a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Be interested in seeing when restaurants and cafes reopen will they class gastro pub as a restaurant.

They could be some rough heads at the bar at lunch time if so

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/pubs-want-to-reopen-like-restaurants-but-not-with-alcohol-cap-39169012.html

LVA and VFI have always been able to put pressure on government. Dont see this being any different.

It is logical, most pubs do a food service and in my own area the food service is what is alot of the trade.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/pubs-want-to-reopen-like-restaurants-but-not-with-alcohol-cap-39169012.html

LVA and VFI have always been able to put pressure on government. Dont see this being any different.

It is logical, most pubs do a food service and in my own area the food service is what is alot of the trade.

Pubs want to be treated like restaurants, except they want to be treated differently!

Pubs have always argued that selling alcohol is different, and should be treated differently. They have long used that arguement, through the licence system to ensure they held a special position.

Are they now arguing that really that are the same as restaurants? In that case let restaurants serve whatever drinks they like.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Pubs want to be treated like restaurants, except they want to be treated differently!

Pubs have always argued that selling alcohol is different, and should be treated differently. They have long used that arguement, through the licence system to ensure they held a special position.

Are they now arguing that really that are the same as restaurants? In that case let restaurants serve whatever drinks they like.

To be fair to them I dont know any restaurant in my area that doesn't serve whatever drink they want, I can just as easily go into a pub and have a meal and a pint as I can in a restaurant. I'm sure that differs in other areas quite probably.

In my local anyway on a Sunday afternoon for example there's more people in for food with family than there is drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No harm in embracing pub culture. But we do it to the total exclusion of cafe bars. Remember when we were going to legalise them and the pubs fought tooth and nail to prevent them because they would have been popular and would have taken from pubs.

And now we don't even have the option of cafe bars. I have no problem with pubs but I'd prefer to also have the options.

I agree. More to the point that pubs shouldn't open until virus transmission isn't a problem anymore

• Advertisement

virus free? guys i think we have to get out of thinkiig this way, e wont be free of this virus for years, you just get on with it. the aim of the lockdown was too not overun ICU, lets get it down to a very low level over next month then get back living or get busy dying. Time to take out chances, may as well stop driving on roads as that.

Well, yes we need to get the level of people with the virus down and free up the ICU beds. Then when we lift some restrictions the transmission rate goes up and the level goes up and the beds fill up again.

We need to leave some headroom so we can facilitate increased transmission. But we have to be strategic about what business we open back up. Factors such as being essential to the medium term future of the country, being a place where staff and customers can socially distance and keep transmissions low and business what generate a lot of economic activity. In other works businesses with the most 'bang for your buck' need to open first. Businesses which would have little economic activity, aren't essential and would be good environments to transmit the virus should be among the last to reopen when the whole thing is under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No harm.in embracing pub culture. But we do it to the total exclusion of cafe bars. Remember when we were going to legalise them.and the pubs fought tooth and nail to prevent them because they would have been popular and would have taken from pubs.

And now we don't even have the option of cafe bars. I have no problem with pubs but I'd prefer to also have the options.

Ah, do remember those innocent times when Michael McDowell was going to turn us all into left bank Parisians. An idea just a bit ahead of its time perhaps.

Ah, do remember those innocent times when Michael McDowell was going to turn us all into left bank Parisians. An idea just a bit ahead of its time perhaps.

Yeah and I remember the way he was ridiculed that way as if he was going to ban pubs in favour of cafe bars. In truth, it would have been a popular option for people who preferred it and the pubs made sure it didn't happen.

Wouldn't it be ideal to have the options now?

Yeah and I remember the way he was ridiculed that way as if he was going to ban pubs in favour of cafe bars. In truth, it would have been a popular option for people who preferred it and the pubs made sure it didn't happen.

Wouldn't it be ideal to have the options now?

Taking on the pub lobby was ambitious, I'll grant him that. I think we're slowly developing a cafe culture regardless, it's evolving all the time. Not just the proliferation of coffee shops, but the fact you can go into most bars anytime and it's quite regular to order a coffee. Twenty years ago I'd never have done that, yet do it all the time now. Not such a big thing to take it one step further some time in the near future I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Saabsaab, I have no doubt some issues might be worked out, but then the pub you think you are going back to isn't actually the pub you go to.

Now, this new type might still appeal to people, there has been a few posters on here saying they would pay almost any price to basically sit 2m from a friend in any otherwise empty bar.

But closing time is never adhered to, what makes you think people will start obeying the rules? Drink lower inhibitions, tongues loosen and you see your mates you haven't seen in months. How many are really going to stay 2m away.

In a group of 4, that is a pretty large empty space in the middle. Think about your local and how 2m would work. You also have to take account of walk through areas. You can't sit at the bar, that needs 2m to protect the barman, who least we forget, will now be faced with multiple chances of infection everyday unless the right precautions are taken.

IMO, and seeing those restaurant pics, it sounds like a complete misery.

Its a real problem for the vintners, it really seems like their whole business model is in jeopardy.

2m has no actual basis in science or medicine. It's a made up distance. They could reduce it to 1m again or less before opening anything.

• Advertisement

what exactly happens in a cafe bar, which does not happen in a pub?

i am not sure i have ever been to one or drank in one, would the bar of a hotel be classed as this?

I would imagine it as the difference between a pub that sells coffee and a coffee bar that sells alcohol.

2m has no actual basis in science or medicine. It's a made up distance. They could reduce it to 1m again or less before opening anything.

Well not quite. There is clear evidence of the travel of water droplets in the air from a sneeze etc. I agree that 2m is made up somewhat, it is a catch all to keep things simple as the idea behind it is get people to stay apart rather than the specific distance.

However, it f they were looking at opening up pubs they would need to do some clear research and actually have a defined distance based on air con etc.

So it is unlikely that 2m would suffice in an enclosed area, such as indoors of a pub. It would be different, I would think, in a beer garden or outdoors.

It would be a different environment and different atmosphere. Like the way people drink coffee, but they could have an alcoholic drink instead. Less likely to be packed like a pub, more likely to facilitate people who want a beer or two. It's not completely different from a pub but it is an alternative to the pub.

Big threat to the pub industry as evidenced by how hard they fought against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sanctimonious **** sit around smugly reminding each other that they don't have to drink to enjoy themselves.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Sanctimonious **** sit around smugly reminding each other that they don't have to drink to enjoy themselves.

Exactly. As it stands the sanctimonious **** have no alternative but to go to pubs. It's all about options, wouldn't you agree it's a good option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

LMAO it's just a different buzz. It's actually more for people who like a drink but just want to go for a chinwag in a more casual one to one type environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Don't forget the pretentious over priced half caff mocha choco lattes with almond milk.

i see absolutlely no difference than some pubs i go to, 4 or 5 people and barman , sit thier chatting looking at the news on telly or reading the paper. sometimes your at least 2 meteres from anyone , surely these pubs are grand to open even within the next month? i have a feeling the government mau let pubs open and put all the restrictions in place, it will impossible for some to do and will promptly have to close but many rural ones like im mentioned will have to very little if theres no crowd much

• Advertisement
Advertisement