Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In response to the title of the thread - a lot!

I wouldn't be a binge drinker, mid-week drinker, etc. but more of a social drinker - i.e. few pints in a few different locals most weekends, nothing hectic. Being a dutiful citizen, I went on a "staycation" last week and it was during this period that the continued absence of the pub really hit home. We went for dinner each evening, had a few drinks, and moved on. No issue here, the guidelines are there for a reason. However, the inability to randomly/spontaneously call into a pub for a few post-dinner drinks definitely detracts from the whole experience of a "night out".

The current situation is a compromise, no doubt, but I long for the day when we can just randomly stroll into a pub, listen to some live music, have a chat with the locals at the bar. There is a lot to be said for that. All the rules and regulations currently in place (whilst necessary) only emphasise that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I don't miss pubs at all and I reckon there's too many in this country.

Alcohol is too easy to access and causes problem drinking in some. We should be less reliant on it for our social lives.
    alot of people feel the same about churches
    never_mind wrote: »
    Or fast food. Or shopping centres

Thankfully with all these establishments entry is optional not compulsory.

To quote the popular song "Walk on By".

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

elperello wrote: »
    Thankfully with all these establishments entry is optional not compulsory.

To quote the popular song "Walk on By".

Neither of them are a poisonous substance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Jim Root wrote: »

Fast food isn't poisonous?

Your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Catholic church is poisinous, sure didn't the zoombie turn a load of water into wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

ShyMets wrote: »
    Compared to other countries, our access to alcohol isn't that easy.

I dunno about further restrictions, but its quite easy to get alcohol at almost anytime.

Supermarket almost all day, small shops that seem to get away with selling wine only off-sales, almost every non city centre bar in any area I've lived in (very expensive tho.. 25 quid for a bottle of 6 euro wine!). The numerous times I have been served at a pub/ club when I have been clearly far too drunk.

That's just a few examples from the top of my head, but there is only really lipservice to restricted hours of buying alcohol..

Off licences, including supermarkets are only open 10.30 am to 10 pm.

The shops only selling wine are licenced to sell wine.

You are right about drunk people being served in pubs and clubs. Not ideal but it does happen.

Off licences, including supermarkets are only open 10.30 am to 10 pm.

The shops only selling wine are licenced to sell wine.

You are right about drunk people being served in pubs and clubs. Not ideal but it does happen.

yep - so almost all the time the supermarket is open it can sell alcohol. The corner shops selling wine - I struggle to think of one that does not.

Practically every pub will give you the ol' brown bag with a few cans or bottle of wine.

I am simply saying my experience is not consistent with the statement that ", our access to alcohol isn't that easy."

It seems very easy to me!

kenmm wrote: »
    yep - so almost all the time the supermarket is open it can sell alcohol. The corner shops selling wine - I struggle to think of one that does not.

Practically every pub will give you the ol' brown bag with a few cans or bottle of wine.

I am simply saying my experience is not consistent with the statement that ", our access to alcohol isn't that easy."

I understand that's your perception but many other countries have more liberal access. Some others are more strict of course.

If you are invited to lunch on a Sunday you have to wait until the clock ticks down to 12.30 in supermarket to buy a bottle of wine for your host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Im beginning to miss the afternoon escape to the pub Saturday/Sunday to relieve the hangover symptoms of the night before.

I understand that's your perception but many other countries have more liberal access. Some others are more strict of course.

If you are invited to lunch on a Sunday you have to wait until the clock ticks down to 12.30 in supermarket to buy a bottle of wine for your host.

Its not my perception, its experience. You have picked the one example that I have also ran into an issue with - maybe twice in last 10 years.. all the other times (and it has been many) that I have wanted alcohol, it's not been an issue.

Other countries may have a more liberal policy (and lets not get into different countries drinking cultures..), but practically it has had zero impact on my ability to drink when I want to drink (and I would not be considering myself an occasional drinker or any of that bollocks).

Actually - one example we don't have here - the lads (illegally) selling beer on the streets in Barcelona after everything shuts - but practically again its made no real difference as I could find a place that would still let me in in Ireland after all the regular places close... so negligible really - one illegal practice vs another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Nearly every factory in the country on shutdown over the next 6 weeks.....lads are simply deluded,if they think pubs reopening while this is happening

What exactly are you basing your prediction on

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

Dickie10 wrote: »
    whats the deal with the publican in limerick opening up and not serving food monday? is it just advised that pubs stay shut? whats actually stopping pubs opening monday or tomorrow and having their menu and serve food, they dont need a licence or anything. pizza, soup , chips , sandwich

Looks like they're open if twitter is anything to go by!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Gillouise wrote: »
    Looks like they're open if twitter is anything to go by!

and closed 2 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

kenmm wrote:
    Supermarket almost all day, small shops that seem to get away with selling wine only off-sales, almost every non city centre bar in any area I've lived in (very expensive tho.. 25 quid for a bottle of 6 euro wine!). The numerous times I have been served at a pub/ club when I have been clearly far too drunk.

What about personal responsibility? You expect someone else to control the amount you drink and tell you when you've had enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You letf out the important bit "compared to other countries"

jt69er wrote: »
    What about personal responsibility? You expect someone else to control the amount you drink and tell you when you've had enough?

What about it?

A statement was made - "our access to alcohol isn't that easy" - I am simply saying I find that not to be the case, and if I want I can find a place to get a drink pretty much most of the time, and usually not far a walk form where I am.

That's all. I didn't suggest further restrictions or anything like it (although might not be such a bad idea given the number of alcohol relates issues in Ireland - but thats for a separate thread, definitely not in a "How much do you miss the pub thread" :D )

EDIT - I didn't start this about restrictions - the only part I was saying is that alcohol is readily available and very accessible.

You letf out the important bit "compared to other countries"

Compared to other countries - ok but I am stating that in Dublin (outside of COVID) - I can pretty much drink whenever I want to. Apart a couple of relatively small windows.

I don't see so much the relevance in the comparison to "other countries", because I can pretty much drink all the time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Compared to other countries - ok but I am stating that in Dublin (outside of COVID) - I can pretty much drink whenever I want to. Apart a couple of relatively small windows.

I don't see so much the relevance in the comparison to "other countries", because I can pretty much drink all the time anyway.

Maybe Dublin is different but I know here I can't have a drink after 2.30 ish in the morning until a supermarket opens the next day. Unless I stock up or break the law, but if you are going to include illegal access then the conversation is pointless cause I could just say sure I can break into a pub whenever I want. Whereas abroad I have legally been drinking at 6am many a time. I actually wish the country would move to a more open licensing system (for hours and establishments) and think it would massively help the industry.

ye - a more open would help the industry, and would have some benefits (like cutting the massive binge drink before last orders), but I think in Ireland it would need to be backed up by strong education around drinking culture (i.e. - a lot of people may just not be ready for it yet). You can cite own responsibility etc, but its the truth - peer pressure, not knowing ones own limits and general alcoholism are all problems that this country faces.

RE the illegality of it - we are into grey areas here - because practically I can obtain alcohol and have no fear of being arrested/ charged with anything (neither are publicans etc).
    Robbing a place.. well thats another level and not really comparable? i.e. not all crimes are equal and come with the same penalties/ chances of being caught. You can't really ignore the fact that under normal conditions, a lot pubs will sell alcohol to be consumed off premises or have a lockin for regulars because its illegal.. it happens and it makes alcohol accessible (in some parts of the country more than others for sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone build themselves a hut and stock up with drink? Just for family and close friends, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyone build themselves a hut and stock up with drink? Just for family and close friends, like.

Was t there a company building those. Can’t remember what it’s called. They looked pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

fin12 wrote: »
    Was t there a company building those. Can’t remember what it’s called. They looked pretty cool.

One of the lads got one built, taps installed, have had a few bbq's at it and its great fun altogether. Currently has 2 taps (Guinness and Heineken) hooked up and he said hes looking to add another 2, have them running to kegs in fridges stored behind the bar in an enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

good news today my local tweeted there opening up next monday, i presume doing food, absolutley brilliant news. quite pleased with myself still havent touched a drop since march 7th. just out of intrest if we lived in a world where alchol became banned, how much would you miss it? i actually wouldnt overly mind once you could still go out to bars and nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

good news today my local tweeted there opening up next monday, i presume doing food, absolutley brilliant news. quite pleased with myself still havent touched a drop since march 7th. just out of intrest if we lived in a world where alchol became banned, how much would you miss it? i actually wouldnt overly mind once you could still go out to bars and nightclubs

Delighted for you.

I would miss it terribly. I have books on cocktails, that probably stacked up would reach my waist. It is such a beautiful field to explore to me. Even just the history is fascinating. I have shelves of random booze that I've probably had 2 shots of just to see what it was like. To me making a drink at home is like deciding to cook something special. It is a real treat and I'd probably consider leaving Ireland if such a crazy thing occurred. It is already painfully difficult to get things like over proof rums and whiskies here without paying way over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

very good. Im one of those guys that would have went out every single sat night doing my own thing but would have put away a lot of drink in one night from 9-2:30. maybe every second or third weekend i would do a friday or sunday evening too. id say im now well able to keep fomo at bay after this and im delighted to see i dont have a reliance on alchol its purely social. still im feeling fairly low at not seeing my mates/ aquaintinces. the further lockdown really got me down last week, im like a lot on here who like to just amble into bars and pubs on saturday evenings without any real plans. i think we need to just get on with this and llive along side the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That guy in Limerick should lose his license when it comes up for renewal and his equally brain dead wife who was working in the pub with him and taking customer numbers, etc - and works as a nurse in a residential care setting - should be fired.
    If my mother or father or whoever was in that home she works in, I would be fuming and demanding she socially isolate for 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

very good. Im one of those guys that would have went out every single sat night doing my own thing but would have put away a lot of drink in one night from 9-2:30. maybe every second or third weekend i would do a friday or sunday evening too. id say im now well able to keep fomo at bay after this and im delighted to see i dont have a reliance on alchol its purely social. still im feeling fairly low at not seeing my mates/ aquaintinces. the further lockdown really got me down last week, im like a lot on here who like to just amble into bars and pubs on saturday evenings without any real plans. i think we need to just get on with this and llive along side the virus.

you can be right alongside all sorts of people on the bus, in the shops and gym - just not the pubs - and they are taking the blame for the spread lol.

Advertisement