Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

showpony1 wrote: »
    you can be right alongside all sorts of people on the bus, in the shops and gym - just not the pubs - and they are taking the blame for the spread lol.

People aren't slobbering all over each other on the other settings you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus have some urgency for a day session

It can be done but €9 meal in every place will kill the buzz a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

People aren't slobbering all over each other on the other settings you mentioned.

unsure what pubs you visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

are at house parties , some old dear mauled every pan of bread in the shop earlier i said it to her do you have to maul everything in the shop she didn't get it

showpony1 wrote: »
    unsure what pubs you visit.

Hilarious. The go-to response of the people in this thread who can't deal with the pubs not being open. Acting as if nobody gets drunk in the pubs they go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hilarious. The go-to response of the people in this thread who can't deal with the pubs not being open. Acting as if nobody gets drunk in the pubs they go to.

The people most concerned about pubs opening have generally shown very little idea of what a pub is actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’ve been back working in a Dublin pub a few weeks now. We are very busy but social distancing is being strictly adhered to.

An awful lot of people are just grateful to be able to sit down and have 3/4 pints. Funnily enough they aren’t really slobbering over each other either.

There is absolutely no reason every pub can’t have the option of doing this(provided they can stick to the social distancing guidelines). The food thing is an absolute joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I’ve been back working in a Dublin pub a few weeks now. We are very busy but social distancing is being strictly adhered to.

An awful lot of people are just grateful to be able to sit down and have 3/4 pints. Funnily enough they aren’t really slobbering over each other either.

There is absolutely no reason every pub can’t have the option of doing this(provided they can stick to the social distancing guidelines). The food thing is an absolute joke

They just want the american tourists to be able to have a meal and a few pints.

depressing for last orders to be so early with almost every other euro nation been business as normal. The 'tab' idea is also the bollocks imo, PAYG is the only way

PTH2009 wrote: »
    depressing for last orders to be so early with almost every other euro nation been business as normal. The 'tab' idea is also the bollocks imo, PAYG is the only way

Tabs make a lot more sense if we want people to be limiting contact with one another I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Been settling up myself after the "substantial meal" and PAYG after that. In galway for a few days and its been chicken wings and pints in every pub, the odd place a side and a dessert

Yes, that's great. Are there any restrictions of any sort in place in your pub at the moment, that may prevent people from reaching the slobbering all over each other stage? Maybe say time limits and/or no mixing between tables? That type of thing?

Yes, that's great. Are there any restrictions of any sort in place in your pub at the moment, that may prevent people from reaching the slobbering all over each other stage? Maybe say time limits and/or no mixing between tables? That type of thing?

Yes. There are partitions between each table. Max 6 can fit at any one table. If people start to mingle with others they are asked to leave. It’s very rare that that has happened though.

As I said people are generally very appreciative just to be able to come in for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I really wonder where some people do their drinking or who with.
    The vast vast majority of people from what I have seen do their drinking in their own groups without slobbering all over each other or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Jesus have some urgency for a day session

It can be done but €9 meal in every place will kill the buzz a bit

be a tough session with a 9e dinner every 2 hours.:pac:
    tbh I miss the all dayers myself.

As an infrequent pub goer - I'd only go for a session - didn't think I'd miss the pub as much as I have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Don't miss the boring self-concerned drunks, the drink driving, the chipper fights, the sexual assaults at all.
    Leave them closed: they were established and encouraged by the British ruling classes to distract the Irish working classes from improving themselves.
    Perhaps now we can get on with becoming a normal sociable society that doesn't require alcohol to have a good time.

Good riddance to those who profited from alcoholism.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I really wonder where some people do their drinking or who with.
    The vast vast majority of people from what I have seen do their drinking in their own groups without slobbering all over each other or anyone else.

Again with this nonsense. Stop being so obtuse about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

minikin wrote: »
    Don't miss the boring self-concerned drunks, the drink driving, the chipper fights, the sexual assaults at all.
    Leave them closed: they were established and encouraged by the British ruling classes to distract the Irish working classes from improving themselves.
    Perhaps now we can get on with becoming a normal sociable society that doesn't require alcohol to have a good time.

they were established in order to control drinking and to ensure it took place in a controlled environment, you could argue they are needed now more than ever, id imagine the boring self concerned drunks aren't missing you too much either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

you have a poor opinion on them, i see.
    It's safe to say you don't go them - after such a comment you'd want to be a mad man to go.

Your comment typifies something insidious in Irish society , the ban the things I don't like brigade and to hell with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm guessing you don't partake of the odd drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats a self concerned drunk ? a drunk thats concerned about himself? and boring? what do you like your drunks today stand and sing or tapdance in middle of the room, tell jokes?

Again with this nonsense. Stop being so obtuse about it.

Your the one posting about

"reaching the slobbering all over each other stage"

Complete ****e.

Noticing in the last few days passing the nearest pub (that happens to be able to serve some food) to me, the usual week day afternoon suspects are out the front of it smoking.
    Not a hope are this lot eating any sort of 9 euro meal in there.

I have no problem with it, was obviously going to happen that the meal and time limits are unsurprisingly out the window now in a lot places (anecdotally). Ridiculous leaving these places cleaning up for doing the exact same thing that the closed pubs would be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Noticing in the last few days passing the nearest pub (that happens to be able to serve some food) to me, the usual week day afternoon suspects are out the front of it smoking.

I have no problem with it, was obviously going to happen that the meal and time limits are unsurprisingly out the window now in a lot places (anecdotally). Ridiculous leaving these places cleaning up for doing the exact same thing that the closed pubs would be doing.

I don't think you can argue opening of the pubs should have happened sooner because the ones that can open are bending the rules. If the industry can't behave it should be the opposite direction, though I'd hope we can rely mostly on people being decent humans and following the rules when they open and not put lives at risk for an extra few quid and shut the ones that persist in profiting at the risk to public health.

In the place I work the Guards are past almost every night and they couldn’t give a toss about food or time limits. Just that everyone is at their own table and no one is at the bar

Your the one posting about

"reaching the slobbering all over each other stage"

Complete ****e.

You're talking nonsense. "I don't know what type of places you drink in". You obviously haven't been in a busy pub over the course of a weekend if you're claiming there aren't messy drunks in pubs. Just because some little rural pub that only has double digits of customers is nice and quite, doesn't mean there aren't a huge number larger pubs where people lose the run of themselves*

*That's not to say people don't lose the run of themselves in smaller pubs. But you're making a outrageous claim tbh

when this is over i dont want to see pub food for a while

You're talking nonsense. "I don't know what type of places you drink in". You obviously haven't been in a busy pub over the course of a weekend if you're claiming there aren't messy drunks in pubs. Just because some little rural pub that only has double digits of customers is nice and quite, doesn't mean there aren't a huge number larger pubs where people lose the run of themselves*

*That's not to say people don't lose the run of themselves in smaller pubs. But you're making a outrageous claim tbh

Been in lots of busy pubs at weekends and have seen very few of the really messy drunks that go around the place slobbering over strangers. Plenty drunks but they by and large keep to their groups.

Besides in the current climate, they would be very easily identified and dealt with.
    No publican is going to want a slobbery drunk going around the place annoying people. No quicker way to lose business or see a fight start.

In the place I work the Guards are past almost every night and they couldn’t give a toss about food or time limits. Just that everyone is at their own table and no one is at the bar

Sensible stuff from them and could easily work for the wet pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Miss the normal pub loads. Am off work for the week and just want/wanted to have a couple of pints today. But I didn’t want to go and get food. Having meals at home with the family and couldn’t be bothered wasting €9.

Advertisement