Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you miss the pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

robbiezero wrote: »
    Been in lots of busy pubs at weekends and have seen very few of the really messy drunks that go around the place slobbering over strangers. Plenty drunks but they by and large keep to their groups.

Besides in the current climate, they would be very easily identified and dealt with.
    No publican is going to want a slobbery drunk going around the place annoying people. No quicker way to lose business or see a fight start.

The ‘slobbering drunks hugging people’ brigade is a bit silly. Aren’t there security guards? If social distancing is now a rule can’t they just chuck out offenders?

If you’re old enough to drink you should be old enough to a) understand rules and b) abide by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

never_mind wrote: »
    The ‘slobbering drunks hugging people’ brigade is a bit silly. Aren’t there security guards? If social distancing is now a rule can’t they just chuck out offenders?

If you’re old enough to drink you should be old enough to a) understand rules and b) abide by them.

Agreed. Slobbery messy drunks would be absolute cancer for a pub in the current environment.

Miss the normal pub loads. Am off work for the week and just want/wanted to have a couple of pints today. But I didn’t want to go and get food. Having meals at home with the family and couldn’t be bothered wasting €9.

Plenty of pubs where you can get a few pints without the meal nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm in a hotel in the South West at the moment and provided you're staying in the hotel then the meal requirement isn't being enforced. That aside like many others here my little local pub wouldn't have 10 people in it in an entire night. Given the week with the numbers in it it's frankly an absolute joke that he can't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Been in lots of busy pubs at weekends and have seen very few of the really messy drunks that go around the place slobbering over strangers. Plenty drunks but they by and large keep to their groups.

Besides in the current climate, they would be very easily identified and dealt with.
    No publican is going to want a slobbery drunk going around the place annoying people. No quicker way to lose business or see a fight start.

So now you admit very drunk people do slobber over each other in pubs? That's good to see. Now you might understand why the pubs are being kept closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sensible stuff from them and could easily work for the wet pubs.

Exactly. It is utter madness really. The new government would look great (in most peopleS eyes), they get people back off the PUP and tax them instead and landlords can get their businesses back up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So now you admit very drunk people do slobber over each other in pubs? That's good to see. Now you might understand why the pubs are being kept closed.
    You are fond of the sweeping generalisations aren't you. Yes, some very drunk people "slobber" all over each other, just as some other very drunk people fall asleep at the bar. If you have an agenda against the reopening of the pubs, that's your business, but coming on here claiming that every pub across the country is full of drunken yahoos is bull****. The scenes you are describing/imagining are more akin to a nightclub/late bar - which I agree should remain closed.
    Regular pubs are being scapegoated in this country, when the reality is that many of them are frequented by customers looking for a few pints, and not the 12 pubs of christmas carry-on which you seem to portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭global23214124

Been to a few pubs in Dublin in the last couple of weeks and only got served in one of them without food so most of them seem to be sticking to the rules. Looking forward to when they open up properly again.

You are fond of the sweeping generalisations aren't you. Yes, some very drunk people "slobber" all over each other, just as some other very drunk people fall asleep at the bar. If you have an agenda against the reopening of the pubs, that's your business, but coming on here claiming that every pub across the country is full of drunken yahoos is bull****. The scenes you are describing/imagining are more akin to a nightclub/late bar - which I agree should remain closed.
    Regular pubs are being scapegoated in this country, when the reality is that many of them are frequented by customers looking for a few pints, and not the 12 pubs of christmas carry-on which you seem to portray.

You need to re-read the thread, pal. I never once said every pub in the country has that problem. In fact it was the very person I was arguing with who refused to even acknowledge that it happened at all in any pubs.

So maybe do your research, get your facts right, before jumping head first into a thread and making an eijit of yourself.

I have no agenda against pubs opening. I enjoy a pint as much as the next person. What I do have an issue is the ostriches burying their heads in the sand and pretending there aren't any potential issues with opening up wet pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

There's a big fixation at this stage on the meal and time limits which I think is misplaced. Ultimately, they're going to have to open them at some point without meals and then time limits would be counterintuitive as they would encourage crawls.

The important stuff is capacities and keeping it to table service only, sanation facilities and contact tracing information provided.

And with regard to this whole two hour thing, well I've already mentioned this regarding cinemas plus gyms where I believe no time limit applies. But separately, if you have a capacity of 50 and the same 50 people stay in there all day is there not some tradeoff in benefit there for a limit to risk Vs a turnover every 2 hours and having 300 people in in one day?

It would also mean a smaller effort for contract tracing should there be a positive case on a premises.

• Advertisement

I never said that it doesn't ever happen. I mentioned the vast vast majority of people do not do that in a pub.

Your the one who described it as a "stage" and
    "a huge number larger pubs where people lose the run of themselves".
    Complete rubbish and irrelevant in the current environment anyway as no publican or their clientele are going to tolerate even the minuscule amount of people who are slobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You need to re-read the thread, pal. I never once said every pub in the country has that problem. In fact it was the very person I was arguing with who refused to even acknowledge that it happened at all in any pubs.

So maybe do your research, get your facts right, before jumping head first into a thread and making an eijit of yourself.

I have no agenda against pubs opening. I enjoy a pint as much as the next person. What I do have an issue is the ostriches burying their heads in the sand and pretending there aren't any potential issues with opening up wet pubs.
    I've been following the thread since the outset (you can check my post history if you require evidence) and for the last 2/3 pages you have been characterising "wet pubs" as full of slobbering drunks. That is a fact that requires very little research (if reading through Boards threads actually qualifies as research).
    You claim to have an issue with ostriches burying their heads in the sand, yet when other posters have attempted to debate/argue with your viewpoint, you simply choose to ignore them (calling one poster "obtuse"). I hope you can see the irony in that..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

This thread reminds me of my local.
    Late at nite an argument would start and we’d have to hid the pool cues.

I never said that it doesn't ever happen. I mentioned the vast vast majority of people do not do that in a pub.

Your the one who described it as a "stage" and
    "a huge number larger pubs where people lose the run of themselves".
    Complete rubbish and irrelevant in the current environment anyway as no publican or their clientele are going to tolerate even the minuscule amount of people who are slobbery.

Yeah, you're moving the goal posts now. You're go-to response was "I don't know what kind of pubs you're drinking in". Completely dismissing the fact that our happens out if hand.

I've been following the thread since the outset (you can check my post history if you require evidence) and for the last 2/3 pages you have been characterising "wet pubs" as full of slobbering drunks. That is a fact that requires very little research (if reading through Boards threads actually qualifies as research).
    You claim to have an issue with ostriches burying their heads in the sand, yet when other posters have attempted to debate/argue with your viewpoint, you simply choose to ignore them (calling one poster "obtuse"). I hope you can see the irony in that..

Apart from the fact you've been posting in the thread, the rest of your post is absolute fantasy.

I didn't characterise wet pubs as full of slobbering drunks. I said wet pubs contain slobbering drunks. I even referenced that busy weekends in large pubs were the pubs I was generally referring to, although I wasn't ruling out people slobbering in smaller pubs. It happens. Get over it.

I have continually backed up my point. You're reference to the "obtuse" post also completely ignores the context in which the post was made i.e. the poster I was responding to was parroting the same "I don't know what kind of pubs you drink in" line yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’ve found the city pubs very strict with the rules as regards time limit compared to rural pubs.

fin12 wrote: »
    I’ve found the city pubs very strict with the rules as regards time limit compared to rural pubs.

Certainly not the case in the Dublin suburb I'm in. I'd imagine the city centre pubs would have to be fairly strict alright, but then they have the footfall to replace the people they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Had a feed of stout Sunday afternoon in a small town,no food required. Landlord said Garda are ok about it once he doesnt take the piss with over 50 people etc on the premises, small pub so be lucky to have 20-30 at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Guidlines on pub reopenings due this week according to Independent. Will be published Fáilte Ireland.

According to the independent The Government will be asked to permit customers in more than 3,000 pubs which have yet to be allowed to open to drink at the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Guidlines on pub reopenings due this week according to Independent. Will be published Fáilte Ireland.

According to the independent The Government will be asked to permit customers in more than 3,000 pubs which have yet to be allowed to open to drink at the bar

With the highest number of cases yesterday since June 30th and the median age at 30 is that really a good idea?

• Advertisement

With the highest number of cases yesterday since June 30th and the median age at 30 is that really a good idea?

And you do know that the 40 cases were not all from the 1 day yes ??
    16 positive tests yesterday. The 40 includes tests from the weekend.

7 day average is down on last week from 21 per day to 18.

No reason to not open them on 10th August with similar guidelines to those in place already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It’s grand, you can stay under your bed.

No reason to not open them on 10th August with similar guidelines to those in place already.

So they have to serve food?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If they have to serve food, they can already be open.

Similar guidelines, so the same but without the food.

If they want to serve food they can already open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

As great as it would be to be able to sit at the bar. I can't see this been given the green light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

might want to check your facts

Going to Dingle this weekend, does anyone know pubs that are allowing u to stay over the time please?

Similar guidelines, so the same but without the food.

If they want to serve food they can already open

Is the time limit thing still going to be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

fin12 wrote: »
    Is the time limit thing still going to be there?

I’d doubt it, it’ll encourage pub crawls. If they do have a limit it could be extended to 3/4 hours. That’ll do me :)

Advertisement